• This topic has 1,152 replies, 133 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,153 total)
  • Overtaking.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

KennySenior
    Free Member

This thread needs to keep going, as I am still waiting for the picture I asked Jim’ll Paint It to paint two days ago.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Come on OVERTAKING THREAD!!! You can beat the other for the rusty lady, you can, just keep going, please… (i don’t have money this or anything).

piemonster

Step up to play my part

piemonster

What the hell, 15 pages behind.

meh

matt_outandabout

[video]http://youtu.be/u5Ikafg1Sk4[/video]

fourbanger
    Free Member

Does anyone know what’s actually wrong with molgrips?

piemonster

Molgrips, I though this thread was about dancing Zebras

aracer
    Free Member

after I tried to say exactly what I just said up there, everyone started berating me as some kind of incompetent driver

<sets himself up for forum fail by quoting> well I didn’t – or if I did then I apologise, because I don’t believe you are particularly (not that I’d have any way of knowing as I’ve never seen you drive, and levels of driving competence are even harder to judge from forum postings than many other things).

However apparently

aracer was attempting to put together a proper argument even though he did it poorly.

Is that because I don’t agree with you? 😉

Though anyway, what happened here? When I left the forum last night there were only just over 900 posts. I was expecting it to take another few days to reach the magic number and patiently waiting my turn. Yet I come back after a day when I’ve not been able to get on the forums most of the day and I find lots of people have jumped the queue and posted without waiting to see if anybody else had something to post first. IT’s NOT FAIR!

camo16
    Free Member

lots of people have jumped the queue and posted without waiting to see if anybody else had something to post first. IT’s NOT FAIR!

To be fair, I did try to wait for your input, but over exuberance overtook me. 😳

bigyinn
    Free Member

In summary

ITS NOT FAIR!

molgrips
    Free Member

In summary:

Some drivers are dicks. Go on, argue with me about that, I dare you.

Is that because I don’t agree with you?

Well, your scenarios became ever more obscure, difficult to follow, and somewhat bizarre.. so I lost track of your point. I appreciate the acknowledgement that you can’t comment on my actual driving though, thanks.

clubber
    Free Member

Did you win then, molgrips?

molgrips
    Free Member

No. No-one won. The loser is.. my employer.

wwaswas

The loser is.. my employer.

Were they in the queue too?

camo16
    Free Member

I think, to a degree, all of our employers lost out in this process. 😆

phil.w
    Free Member

So, changing the scenario ever so slightly but sticking with overtaking…

On a dual carriageway, you’re at the back of 4 cars moving along happily at the speed limit. These cars then reach a lorry in the inside lane travelling at 40.

It’s not possible for the first car to pull out into the outside lane as there’s traffic coming past.

Now, as the back car of these 4 the opportunity to pull out reaches you first, as the traffic passes you first.

It’s reasonable to assume all 3 cars in the inside lane, between you and the lorry will pull out when they can. (all were travelling at speed limit now stuck at 40)

Do you pull out and go past all 3 between you and the lorry as soon as the traffic in the outside lane passes you?

Or wait for the traffic to pass the first car in the ‘queue’ behind the lorry, he can then pull out first, then the second, third and finally you?

What would you do?

Pigface
    Free Member

Have we talked about overtaking on a motorbike? That is a whole new ball game.

phil.w
    Free Member

Don’t solid white lines indicate places where only motorcycles are allowed to overtake?

richmtb

Phil

In that scenario I would let everyone overtake in turn.

On a dual carriageway its reasonable to assume that everyone will overtake a slow vehicle so I would adjust my behaviour appropriately.

On a single carriageway the opposite is true, its reasonable to assume no one will overtake so again I would adjust my behaviour appropriately.

Pigface
    Free Member

Don’t solid white lines indicate places where only motorcycles are allowed to overtake

I believe that to be the case I am pretty sure it’s in the Highway Code.

phil.w
    Free Member

Thought it must be, but I’ve never read the ‘special rules for motorcyclists’ section so wasn’t sure.

molgrips
    Free Member

What would you do?

Have a guess!

It really pisses me off when the last person in that line pulls out first, accelerates and boxes me in behind the lorry. Happens all the time. I could pull out anyway but then I’m actually being dangerous.

The good motorway drivers will see the situation, see a car behind a lorry signalling right, and be able to accommodate people wishing to pull out simply by adjusting their timing slightly. This is what I try to do.

On a single carriageway the opposite is true, its reasonable to assume no one will overtake

Disagree with that. That kind of assumption turns you into the kind of dick I’ve been complaining about.

freddyg
    Free Member

In that scenario I would let everyone overtake in turn.

On a dual carriageway its reasonable to assume that everyone will overtake a slow vehicle so I would adjust my behaviour appropriately.

I agree with the conclusion…. However, by looking well ahead, the slow moving vehicle should have been spotted well in advance of your arrival. There should be no need to slow to 40mph and plenty of time to filter in to the faster overtaking traffic.

Observation and planning, innit?

freddyg
    Free Member

It really pisses me off when the last person in that line pulls out first, accelerates and boxes me in behind the lorry. Happens all the time. I could pull out anyway but then I’m actually being dangerous.

I’d be pissed off at that too. However, the lorry should have been seen well in advance of any boxing-in situation. Unless you are driving in fog, heavy rain, snow, at night in the dark with no lights on or you have your eyes closed. Inserts winky smiley thingy here -> 😉

Solo
    Free Member

Some divers are Cats.

*resists*

Have we talked about overtaking on a motorbike?
    Yeap, thats Peter Poddy’s domain. He’s our resident Evil Kenevil.

Does anyone know what’s actually wrong with molgrips?
    Oh 😯

Pigface
    Free Member

Ha ha looking at the photo of Kenevil you realise that his attempts to jump things on a Hardly Rideable were the actions of a clinically insane maniac 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

However, the lorry should have been seen well in advance of any boxing-in situation.

As above, you can’t pull out in time because the other lane is full. So you queue up behind, and as soon as the gap appears the LAST guy in the queue pulls out and steams past, boxing everyone else in.

Not much anyone else can do about that.

richmtb

I agree with the conclusion…. However, by looking well ahead, the slow moving vehicle should have been spotted well in advance of your arrival. There should be no need to slow to 40mph and plenty of time to filter in to the faster overtaking traffic.

Yes totally agree, the idea that you might occasionally check traffic in your mirror, plan ahead and adjust your speed before changing lanes seems lost on a lot of people though

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not lost on me, but if it’s busy you can’t always pull out because the middle lane can be full for quite some time.

freddyg
    Free Member

Not much anyone else can do about that.

Yes there is. Plan as soon as you see the situation develop.

EDIT:

It’s not lost on me, but if it’s busy you can’t always pull out because the middle lane can be full for quite some time.

Then signal your intention early.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve driven hundreds of thousands of miles. In that time I’ve witnessed some pretty poor driving and done some pretty poor driving, but I’m using the experiences to become a better driver. If I found myself regularly in a driving situation that was irritating me I’d question whether there was something I could do to prevent that situation happening so often. Never stop learning

Solo
    Free Member

Something I suggested, quite a few pages ago. Its happened to me, the car in front doesn’t appear to be interested in making progress so I’ve been planning an overtake, then the indicator of the car in front starts flashing. So, fine, I then wait and I’ll be next.
    No issue with that, the driver in front has indicated, before executing their overtake, everyone’s happy.

However, I have also experienced the reverse, where I’ve been the car in front and I have indicated my intention to pull out and overtake, yet the driver behind has ignored my signal and blasted by anyway.

Shit happens !

molgrips
    Free Member

I do, I signal, it gets ignored. The little orange light.

zokes
    Free Member

Disagree with that. That kind of assumption turns you into the kind of dick I’ve been complaining about.

Thankfully, we’re pretty much all in agreement that it’s only you who would find them a dick, which I think is perfectly acceptable collateral for getting on with your journey.

fourbanger
    Free Member

phil.w – Member
    Don’t solid white lines indicate places where only motorcycles are allowed to overtake?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

If they don’t cross the line it’s legal.

freddyg
    Free Member

I do, I signal, it gets ignored. The little orange light.

Are you the person right up the arse of the lorry, stuck at 40mph, testing that your indicator relay is working, having got there by leaving your passing manoeuvre until the very last minute as you were busy chilling out and enjoying the view of the passing countryside?

richmtb

I do, I signal, it gets ignored. The little orange light

You’ve kind of answered your own point there.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Pigface – Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Whistful sigh*

If only “HE” was here…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,153 total)

The topic ‘Overtaking.’ is closed to new replies.