Viewing 40 posts - 5,681 through 5,720 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • ninfan
    Free Member

Lets defer to the written evidence:

In the event of independence, Scotland would be a new state, and the rest of the
    United Kingdom (“rUK”) would be the continuator state. I understand that Scottish
    Ministers sometimes seek to resist this, but they have yet to put forward any
    convincing legal argument to challenge it. As the continuator state, the public
    institutions of the UK would, as a matter of law, automatically become the
    institutions of the rUK: thus the UK Parliament would become the Parliament of
    the rUK and the UK Supreme Court would become the Supreme Court of the
    rUK. In contrast, the assets and liabilities of the UK would fall to be apportioned
    equitably between an independent Scotland and the rUK. Again, this is a matter
    of law. What “equitably” means depends on the nature of the asset.

Fixed assets belonging to the UK and located in Scotland would become the
    property of the new Scottish state (this includes Government buildings in
    Scotland and, of course, the Scottish Parliament). No compensation would be
    due to the rUK or to rUK taxpayers. (Likewise, fixed assets in the rest of the UK
    would become the property of the rUK.) Moveable assets and liabilities would be
    apportioned most likely on the basis of share of population but possibly in some
    instances on the basis of share of GDP. The precise apportionment of such
    assets and liabilities would be a matter of negotiation.

Overseas assets, including the UK’s Embassies etc, would become the property
    of the continuator state: the rUK. As the UK Government correctly explained in its
    Scotland Analysis paper on EU and International Issues (January 2014), “an
    independent Scottish state would not be entitled by right to any UK diplomatic
    premises, equipment or staff”. This is because bodies that support the UK now
    would continue to operate on behalf of the rUK in the event of Scottish
    independence. Again, I stress that this is a matter of law. The relevant legal
    position was fully and authoritatively set out in an opinion co-authored by
    Professors James Crawford and Alan Boyle, which was published in its entirety
    by the UK Government in its first Scotland Analysis paper in February 2013.
    Thus the statement quoted above from p.211 of the White Paper is legally
    inaccurate.

Seems pretty clear that the ‘Scotlands future’ white paper is just plain wrong!

Junkyard
    Free Member

You mean they did a politically motivated piece.Amazingn politicians doing politically motivated “facts”. I am stunned. I wonder if i can find anything from the UK doing the same
    What do you think?

FWIW I would imagine, on that point, what they [ iS /scottish white paper] say is incorrect

Then again they probably hope, like rUK does over debt, that they can negotiate where the law is clear 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Even the BOD doesn’t come out with such BS – the technical default is obvious hence the BOD is completely clear – “On Independence, Scotland will accept a fair share of existing UK debt.”

So time to wrap up the crap. Scotland cannot under any circumstances walk away. Of course the freedom of speech allows those who want to continue to show their own ignorance to carry on…….for he rest, move on to real issues and facts.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Seems pretty clear that the ‘Scotlands future’ white paper is just plain wrong!

Pretty obvious even on the day of publication that it was simple wrong or deliberately misleading in many areas including the most substantial. But even the BoD doesn’t get the debt issue wrong!

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Have we covered iScotland keeping the national lottery? Salmond seems to think that they will. Is there anything that iScotland won’t be keeping apart from nuclear weapons and a share of the national debt. In iScotland the oil will never run out and based on what I have heard from the yes campaign it would seem that they are never going to run out of blind optimism either.

piemonster

Bloody hell, we might lose the national lottery.

Well, that’s a game changer.

gordimhor

Keep the lottery what a ridiculous. idea.! I mean that would require charging the. same price wherever a ticket is sold, à network of lottery machines and a fair method of sharing lottery funding. That’s just impossible.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

It would also mean smaller prizes and less lottery funding for charities, the arts etc.It is almost as ridiculous as expecting the UK to act as a lender of last resort to iScotland.

piemonster

That doesn’t necessarily equate to less money spent in Scotland. As it would be a pot for Scotland and not the UK.

Of all the reasons that should enter the decision making process of a yes or no vote. The lottery really should be utterly irrelevant.

I’ve no doubt politicians will be total pricks and use it for cheap points scoring on both sides though.

gordimhor

I agree with piemonster the lottery is irrelevant.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well there’s gratitude for you – your whole campaign is being financed from a lottery win.

athgray
    Free Member

I think it is a Euro lottery win ernie.

scotroutes

So, Ruth Davidson is in favour of a currency union then…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It really doesn’t matter how many Scottish politicians/businessmen/AN Other favours currency union, its essentially down to the UK electorate and their politicians post Scots Independence. The UK holds all the cards on this particular issue & no party will be going into a general election saying to the electorate “vote for us and we’ll use your money to bail out the Scots if they drop a clanger”.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think it is a Euro lottery win ernie.

Oh was it – the UK national lottery not good enough for them ?

Presumably an independent Scotland will be deemed to have left the EuroMillions Zone and will have to apply for membership ? I hope they’re sent to the back of the queue . Not that I do the lottery, which is clearly a mug’s game.

gordimhor

Spitting the dummy ernie 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What, are you denying that an independent Scotland will have to apply to be included into EuroMillions Zone ?

I expect that you probably also think that an independent Scotland will automatically qualify for the Eurovision Song Contest don’t you ? I suspect that Scotland won’t even be allowed to televise the Eurovision Song Contest until all the formalities have been completely. Not that I reckon you stand any chance of winning it anyway. It’s been 45 years since Lulu won it.

gordimhor

What is the “euromillions zone”? As far as I know the euromillions is a commercial enterprise run by a number of lottery companys.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What is the “euromillions zone”?

This is the Euromillions Zone :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroMillions#mediaviewer/File:Euromillions_map.svg

The blue countries are the original members and the red ones are the ones which joined later.

I can see that this is another consequence of voting Yes that you haven’t thought about. Sterling, NATO, the EU, the BBC, Euromillions Zone, Eurovision, it’s all starting to stack up.

gordimhor

I read the wiki article and saw the map of participating countries. There is no mention of membership requirements that I can see.

aracer
    Free Member

They won’t be keeping governments formed by parties they didn’t vote for, sitting in a parliament 100s of miles away.

(this doesn’t apply to Shetland, obviously)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There is no mention of membership requirements that I can see.

All new participating countries must meet the Euromillions Convergence Criteria (ECC). According to the Euromillions President it would be “extremely difficult, if not impossible” for an independent Scotland to join the Euromillions Zone. You haven’t even established your own currency and Westminster says it won’t permit Scotland to use the pound, so how would prizes be paid ?

aracer
    Free Member

But ernie, what about all those Scottish people who are currently Euromillions members – surely Euromillions can’t just kick them out?

gordimhor

Ok I fell for that one 😳

konabunny
    Free Member

Have we covered iScotland keeping the national lottery? Salmond seems to think that they will.

It would be better to walk away from the lottery entirely.

piemonster

The Scotsman Trolls Bencooper

(Faslane content)

And the Heralds take on it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Lottery has been a huge success. It would make sense for Scotland to continue with euro-millions. I don’t think with a 5m population a Scottish National Lottery makes sense though, so either Scotland negotiates an ability to buy UK tickets (currently illegal as they can only be sold in the UK so if Scotland leaves the rules/law will need to be changed). The Wier’s lottery win has provided virtually all SNP’s funding for their yes campaign.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Trident. I know there are those here that wish the weapons be removed from Scotland but I cannot help but think that the SNPs position is more political than conscientious, Trident is very British and the SNP think there is political and negotiating capital in the topic (ie those nasty English put their dangerous weapons in our country). The base is somewhat symbolic as the submarines and their weapons are generally at sea

ninfan
    Free Member

I don’t know if anyone noticed that the Scottish Government outlined their draft interim constitution yesterday? Its a pearler:

24. Incorporation of European law:

(1) Directly effective EU law forms part of Scots law.

(2) Scots law is of no effect so far as it is inconsistent with EU law.

(3) In this section—
    (a) “EU law” means—
    (i) all those rights, powers, liabilities, obligations and restrictions from time to
    time created or arising by or under the EU Treaties, and
    (ii) all those remedies and procedures from time to time provided for by or
    under those Treaties,
    (b) EU law is directly effective if, in accordance with the EU Treaties, it is to be
    given legal effect or used in Scotland without further enactment.

How’s about that for independence? 😆

what a bunch of F’ing mugs!

Northwind

piemonster – Member

The Scotsman Trolls Bencooper

(Faslane content)

That’s a brilliant bit of Scotsman writing. “40% of Scots want to keep Trident” becomes “Scots keener than English to keep Trident”.

piemonster

Thought you’d like it

Edited following the edit

bencooper
    Free Member

I thought this thread had died a happy death 😉

All that story shows is that the lie that thousands of jobs depend on Trident has some people worried. People don’t want Trident because they like nukes, they want it because they’ve been told (wrongly) that tens of thousands of jobs depend on it.

bencooper
    Free Member

How’s about that for independence?

How’s that much different from what the UK is currently signed up to with the EU?

It’s independence because, in the future, Scotland could decide to change it’s constitution and leave the EU if it wanted. Independence is being free to do what you want, even if what you want is to agree to be part of a larger union.

And of course this is only a first draft of the constitution.

ninfan
    Free Member

“40% of Scots want to keep Trident” becomes “Scots keener than English to keep Trident”.

Since it goes on to say that only 37% want rid, doesn’t that actually become “Scots keener to keep Trident than get rid of it”

ninfan
    Free Member

How’s that much different from what the UK is currently signed up to with the EU?

Parliament remains supreme and is free to derogate from EU law provided it makes its intention sufficiently clear. eg. prisoner voting. The recent HS2 judgement confirmed that EU law is also subservient to UK constitutional and common law

The Scottish constitution would make all Scottish law subservient to EU law

bencooper
    Free Member

But we’d still be able to alter the constitution later and change that if we wanted. So the Scottish parliament would still remain supreme.

The Scottish constitution would make all Scottish law subservient to EU law

Already is.

In fact it’d be better. at the moment EU law is developed in consultation with member states, and Scotland doesn’t have a say apart from as a part of the UK. After independence we’d have our own voice in the development of EU law.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The UK is actually in a better position vs EU law than will iS be as iS will not have all the opt outs. Fundamentally though EU law overrules UK law too, that’s UKIPs point.

How about the published policy that an iS will keep the Queen as head of state – thoughts gentlemen ?

sbob
    Free Member

It’s independence because, in the future, Scotland could decide to change it’s constitution and leave the EU if it wanted

You’d have to join the EU first, to be able to leave it.
    What was the latest, official line on the subject?

bencooper
    Free Member

The UK is actually in a better position vs EU law than will iS be as iS will not have all the opt outs.

The UK might be, Scotland at the moment is not as our needs are overruled by the rest of the UK.

How about the published policy that an iS will keep the Queen as head of state – thoughts gentlemen ?

Meh, not fussed. It’s the union of parliaments that we want to dissolve, not the union of the crowns.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,681 through 5,720 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.