Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • althepal

So does Alexander and Balls apparently. Amazing how they all said this at the same time eh? You’d almost think it was planned as a further effort to put folk off voting yes wouldn’t you?
    Apparently rUk exports to Scotland were around £59 bilion in 2012- I can’t imagine businesses would want the export process to become any more complex or expensive- although those border checkpoints won’t pay for themselves eh?

konabunny
    Free Member

You don’t need currency union to use another country’s currency.

totalshell

the most over hyped non event of the century.. the scots will vote but your man salmond will call that a victory , demand more powers and insist on another vote in 5 years…

LEAVE AND LEAVE NOW…. please.

althepal

Who me? Or Scotland? It would nice if we do but not sure enough folk will feel the same..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Believe me, I’d love to, but it’s just not that simple old boy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hence the referendum 2 days later that is being secretly prepared for England to vote to get rid of Scotland 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That would do!

stumpyjon

Maybe, just maybe Scottish Independance is such a daft idea even the muppets at Westminster realise it and for once agree on something. Typical Yes campaign response though, don’t like what’s being said by the people who have the power, go for the conspiracy theory and ignore any inconvenient facts. Whether they are all in together or not is irrelevant, if they all say no to currency union (and why on earth would they say yes), then there ain’t much Salmond can do about it, time for plan B on the currency front maybe.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I for one am glad that this has been said. Whilst it is indeed true that Scotland may use Sterling as a currency in the event of Independence (please vote yes), The UK taxpayers should not be bounced into being the support system for any potential Scottish failure (not that i think that would happen).
    Independence should be just that, stand or fall on your own feet and the UK do the same. I would have been demanding a referendum on Currency Union should the vote have been yes in September.
    This is not anti-Scottish, i just don’t expect my taxes to be going to bail out a foreign Govt/Banking system as the lender of last resort.

I do think Scotland can be successfully Independent – but a Currency Union is not full Independence.

hora
    Free Member

If its a yes vote its going to be horrendous. Cap in hand to EU, etc.

I sincerely hope they stay and Wales holds a referendum of its own. Bye!

igm

Is that an AngloSaxon asking Britons to leave Britain by any chance?

Just asking, don’t read anything into it…

Scotland leaving the union – economically bad for Scotland and economically bad for England, probably not good in any other way as whatever Britain becomes looses status.

By the way what would Northern Ireland, Wales and England call themselves as there isn’t really a United Kingdom any more in that scenario?

allthepies
    Free Member

As above, nothing to stop Scotland using the pound as a currency.

What’s the problem ? 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    As above, nothing to stop Scotland using the pound as a currency.

In theory, possibly not. In practice there is lots. Another AS smokescreen.

All the major parties are in favour if maintaining the Union, no surprise that they reject AS presumptions re currency union, good to see them being coordinated In their response to the book of dreams, I hope more rebuttals of the nonsense will follow.

The OP headlines is a mischievous as the papers – the real point is how all three parties are delivering a consistent message here IMO.

zippykona

Sorry to add tinder to another Scotland thread but if the Scots go how much will it cost us the day after independence.
    I’m thinking border controls ,changing passport and official paperwork and untold stuff I can’t think of.
    Is it unreasonable to expect some compensation from the Scots government?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Edit double post

towzer

r4 this morning

somebody was whinging about ‘politicing’ by the chancellor, then ducked about the ‘we won’t repay the debt if no currency union question’ and then said the currency should be regarded as a shared asset – bit like the oil I suppose

“but if the Scots go how much will it cost us the day after independence.” – they are apparently going to work it out after it happens, I can’t see a problem with that as that’s just how I work – bought 3 cars yesterday – now I need to go an decide how much for, same with my house, certainly didn’t agree a price on that before I signed and I just love shopping it takes absolutely ages to checkout as we discuss everything – thank heavens I’m arguing on work time and I get generous travelling/hotel/meal etc expenses whilst I’m arguing or otherwise I just wouldn’t be able to afford it

what do you call somebody who continually spends more money than they bring in and doesn’t go bankrupt – a politician

cranberry
    Free Member

Cap in hand to EU, etc.

The funny thing is that if the EU let them in they will be forced to take the Euro, but that might not matter because Spain has said that they would veto membership in order to stop Catalonia from seceding.

I can’t wait for the rUK referendum on whether we allow Scotland back in and under what terms. 🙂

poly
    Free Member

Mr O is so popular north of the border that every time he opens his mouth and mentions Scotland – regardless of what he says – the Yes campaign gets more votes.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Why does everyone think that there would be border controls in the event of independance? There aren’t any on the UKs other land border so why would there be one on this one?

winston_dog
    Free Member

All 3 parties agree on something. Therefore it must be more English nastiness and propaganda to keep those poor Scots down.

Surely Call Me Dave would love to get rid of all those non-Tory voters? So why is he against it? – Possibly Scottish independence is a stupid and expensive idea?

winston_dog
    Free Member

Why does everyone think that there would be border controls in the event of independance? There aren’t any on the UKs other land border so why would there be one on this one?

I don’t. Although “no border controls” policy only exist when the bordering nation is a member of the EU.

However, it may be that Scotland will not be a member of the EU….

gonefishin
    Free Member

We’ve had very limited border controls with Ireland for years and long before the EU travel stuff came in. I even remember flying there without having to use a passport; a driving license was enough.

seosamh77
    Free Member

The more the Tories stick their oar into this debate the better and more chance of Scotland turning round and saying **** you to the Tories. So carry on George any more comments you have would be most welcome. Maybe you can talk your leader into parting with some of his wisdom too? Perhaps in a televised debate?

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m eagerly waiting for Osborne to explain why the Isle of Man and the Channel Isles can’t use the pound.

The annoying (from a Scottish viewpoint) discussion about this is the assumption that the pound isn’t ours already. Sterling is based equally on the contributions of everyone in England, Scotland, Wales, NI etc, yet the discussion always seems to be about Scotland wanting to use “England’s” currency.

Anyhow, the love bombing didn’t last long, did it? We had Project Fear which started to get silly (you won’t be able to watch Eastenders after independence), then we had Love Bombing where everyone in England is meant to phone Scotland and tell us you love us – that backfired when lots of sensible English people said “run for your lives, get out while you can, and can I come after independence?”. Now we’re back to Project Fear with bells on.

MoreCashThanDash

If you want independence, vote for it and go and set up your own nation state.

With your own currency

How come all the independence people can’t see that sharing a currency will mean that many key economic decisions would still be outside Scottish control? You wouldn’t be independent.

scotroutes

Last week: You can’t be truly independent with a currency union

This week: You can’t have a currency union.

Are they trying to tell us something?

bencooper
    Free Member

How come all the independence people can’t see that sharing a currency will mean that many key economic decisions would still be outside Scottish control? You wouldn’t be independent.

Try telling France that they’re not independent from Germany because they share a currency.

The nations of the British Isles share a lot of trade, it makes sense to conduct that trade with a shared currency. It’ll make it easier for England to buy Scottish oil and renewables, for a start.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Try telling France that they’re not independent from Germany because they share a currency.

Try telling Greece.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Seosamh – feel free to ignore the cross party consensus here.

So if AS proposes nonsense that could harm Scotland AND rUK it’s ok and to respond is either bullying, being negative or described as project fear!!! He certainly wins the propaganda war even if he loses the political, economic and common sense one.

Why love home when you have an idiot talking about technical default on debt which then affects rUK. We should respond and do so vigorously. The rUK are not innocent bystanders here. If AS wants a fight about self interest let him have one. The no campaign is far too passive.

oldnpastit

Both France and Germany have to adhere to the Stability and Growth Pact, which they both agreed to, prior to entering the Euro.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I’m eagerly waiting for Osborne to explain why the Isle of Man and the Channel Isles can’t use the pound.

Ben – I thought you wanted independence not to be a Crown Dependency? 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Do people understand why shared currency (rather than just choosing to use sterling for example) means that the remainder of the UK wouldn’t accept Scotland being able to set its own taxes (or at least not all of them)? If not you really need to read up on it and you’ll see that it’s nothing to do with being anti-Scottish.

As has been pointed out, for it to work you need a model like that in Europe where individual countries are tied in to a framework of taxes, interest rates and so on so that it works across the whole group. In this instance, that would mean that Scotland wouldn’t really be completely independent.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the announcement that English taxpayers will have to put up with unpredictable and fluctuating oil and energy prices (even more so than the moment) just because Osborne is ruling out a currency union.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face, it could cost English taxpayers quite a bit if English oil and utility companies suddenly have to start buying in a foreign currency.

cranberry
    Free Member

Last week: You can’t be truly independent with a currency union

This week: You can’t have a currency union.

Are they trying to tell us something?

Maybe they are showing that even the most swivel-eyed nats seem to want anything but actual, real total independence ?

There seems to be a Kevin The Teenager attitude in some Scots who continually want to kick off about how things are unfair, blah, blah, they still want mummy and daddy down south to be a lender of last resort when all the pocket money is gone.

If you want your Mel Gibson moment, then off you f*ck, no takey-backsies, no ah buts, no “but we didn’t mean the pound”.

ninfan
    Free Member

Yes Ben, heaven forfend that the oil companies were forced to trade in US dollars : oops :

winston_dog
    Free Member

it could cost English taxpayers quite a bit if English oil and utility companies suddenly have to start buying in a foreign currency.

Not as much as subsidising the Book of Dreams.

Surely if this is such a factor then you would be better off in the Euro anyway?

oldbloke
    Free Member

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face, it could cost English taxpayers quite a bit if English oil and utility companies suddenly have to start buying in a foreign currency

And what about the risk to Scotland needing to export to a different currency zone. Same coin, two sides.

bencooper
    Free Member

And what about the risk to Scotland needing to export to a different currency zone. Same coin, two sides.

Yup. Which is why, after independence, I’m sure it’ll all be negotiated by sensible people. We can safely ignore all the willy-waving at the moment, everyone sensible (the banks, Carney etc) say it’s workable with negotiation on both sides.

bencooper
    Free Member

Not as much as subsidising the Book of Dreams.

At the moment Scotland subsidises the rest of the UK – we contribute 9.9% of the taxes but get back 9.2% of the spending.

But we’re not subsidising a book of dreams, we’re helping to prop up a ConDem book of dystopian nightmares. Spending billions on nuclear weapons and fancy fighter jets while people need food banks – it’s the kind of thing we used to complain about African dictators doing,

winston_dog
    Free Member

everyone sensible (the banks, Carney etc)

Those trusty bankers, they never mess things up do they?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.