Home Forums Bike Forum Oakley prescription lenses, prizm or clear ?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Oakley prescription lenses, prizm or clear ?
  • sofaking
    Free Member

looking to get some glasses for riding and wondering if anyone has experience of both of the above for comparison. hoping to be able to use these all year round and wondering what they are like when its low light in the trees ?

Thanks

scotroutes

I use Transitions all year round, road, off-road, running, day, night etc. They’re fine in the trees.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My Oakley transitions on the other hand have been crap and are continuously the wrong shade as well as going slightly dark while driving at night

I’ve just reglazed with prescription dark lenses in my existing frames and have gone for clears in a replacement set

jeff

I use Prizm Trail non-prescripton – fine in the trees.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have transitions, the almost clear ones; actual clear ones, prizm road and trail, although not prescription.

Prizm Trail are significantly better than the transitions at dusk despite being nominally darker, but in the trees in daylight they are both fine although Prizm more contrasty of course.

I would go for Prizm Trail as the one pair if I had to – but obviously in late dusk/darkness you’ll still struggle.

andylc
    Free Member

Another vote for Prizm Trail. They have an almost supernatural ability to help a bit in bright light and then light things up amazingly when it gets dim. Black magic.

ade9933
    Free Member

I do like my prizm trails… I can’t use them in some of the denser woods though.

Personally I go with contact lenses and the glasses for the day… plus reading glasses to compensate for the lenses coz I’m getting old now.

dissonance

I find prizm trails struggle a bit in woodland once it starts heading towards sunset but then its pretty heavy foliage in most of the local trails.

mikeyp

I’ve got prescription transitions with a silver coating. These are on regular looking Portal frames that stay fixed on my head. Work v well, the silver coating means you look less like a paedo in low light. I find prism low lights have too much pop and the colours are almost a bit too augmented

trail_rat
    Free Member

the silver coating means you look less like a paedo in low light.

We did this last time. Not a thing.

andylc
    Free Member

Well that has to be the first time someone has suggested to me that light enhancing lenses make you look like a paedophile…as far as enhanced contrast and weird colours, this is an issue for a few seconds, after which time your brain adjusts and it looks completely normal.
    Same effect happens with ski goggles – there are various different colour tints available all of which make the snow look strange colours when you put them on and then after no time at all look normal.

stwhannah
    jca

Prizm trails here but swap them for clear when it gets overly dark..(i.e. commute home from Dundee in winter….)

dissonance

Well that has to be the first time someone has suggested to me that light enhancing lenses make you look like a paedophile

I am now concerned about riding past the local school wearing my trail prisms.

this is an issue for a few seconds, after which time your brain adjusts and it looks completely normal.

I have been annoyed once or twice thinking “ohhhh thats a nice sunset time to take a photo” before realising its the glasses helping out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Prizm Trail makes everything look like 70s holiday snaps, it’s quite nostalgic.

BillOddie

I have Racing Jackets with Prizm Trail for my main riding glasses.

They are fine for the middle 90% of the time.  If I know I’ll be riding up a Forest Road in bright sunshine I will take my darker “normal” prescription sunglasses (Oakley Targetline with Prizm Grey lenses), dusky gloom/dark means using my “normal” prescription glasses (Oakley Marshal).

Prizm Low Light looks ace for UK winter conditions…

footflaps

Do you order the prescription Oakleys through an optician or buy direct from Oakley?

DrP

where are you all going for your prescription glasses???

DrP

b33k34

My Oakley transitions on the other hand have been crap and are continuously the wrong shade as well as going slightly dark while driving at night

are they supposed to work in the car? I thought car windscreen filtered too much UV for photochromic lenses to work (but I think there are some that are designed to work around this somehow)

I find prizm trails struggle a bit in woodland once it starts heading towards sunset but then its pretty heavy foliage in most of the local trails.

Same here – as dusk approaches, and on overcast winter days, Prizm Trail are too dark IME. The rest of the time they’re brilliant (the only place I’m not 100% sure about them is some of the woods around Monmouth where the ground is really red).

snooze
    Free Member

Prizm Low Light for me, which would seem a good compromise if you are having trouble choosing between Prizm Trail/Torch and Clear. I used to switch to Clear in the winter, but don’t bother any more and just use the Low Lights all year round.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do you order the prescription Oakleys through an optician or buy direct from Oakley?

Generally if they sell Oakley frames they can send off for Oakley glazing. That said unless you want specifics they will push their own lenses as they can make them in-house and often they can do you better optic lenses cheaper.

are they supposed to work in the car? I thought car windscreen filtered too much UV for photochromic lenses to work (but I think there are some that are designed to work around this somehow)

No….and in bright sun during day -they don’t. But at night with modern bright lights they dim ever so slightly and take the edge off your vision to the point I’m not comfortable driving with them.

But more that if I walk into a building from bright sun into the building – they remain dark for an annoyingly long time

sofaking
    Free Member

Thanks folks decided on clear.
    Got eyes tested locally and ordered via rx sport to get genuine Oakley lenses

benp1

prizm trail but take clear lenses that i can switch out. i ride in evenings

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought car windscreen filtered too much UV for photochromic lenses to work

True in this context and generally but my wife has some Tifosi ones that do dim quite a bit in the car, although somewhat less than outside. No idea how they work.

simonl
    Free Member

On my third pair of oakley transitions with varifocal lenses, very good in low light (just did the dynamo with them), good for skiing and my only cycling glasses all year round. Transitions are great, but not sure i will buy another pair because they scratch too easily, mate reckons its the coating but not sure what you can do about it. Also optics not as good as normal glasses at +3 for reading they arent as sharp as i would like. Next pair will be some variation of normal glasses rather than sports specific, not sure its necessary.
    Purchased thru rxsports who are excellent

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.