Home Forums Bike Forum Nexus 8 speed internal hubs…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Nexus 8 speed internal hubs…
  • elwoodblues
    Free Member

So, let me be the first to admit that I am no expert on internal hub gears…

The wife has a bike equipped with an 8 speed nexus hub, rollerbrake model. I had never really tried the bike before today, and I must say that it was an unpleasant surprise.

When pedaling, it feels “notchy”… Like the chain is stiff, which it is not. When coasting, it feels like someone has thrown a handful of gravel into the hub. Is this normal? The bike is 9 months old, has gone about 2000 kilometers  and has been to all the service checks at my LBS. As I said, I am no expert  so I thought I would ask for some advise from the STW hive before I go kick up a stink at the LBS.

shermer75
    Free Member

I had an Alfine 8 and it certainly wasn’t smooth, in fact I remember it being so bad when I first got it that I also thought about taking it back. It took a pretty long time but it definitely got a lot smoother!! :-)

thepodge
    Free Member

The nexus and alfine do rumble in some gears, especially when back pedaling

shermer75
    Free Member

I used to call 5th gear ‘the coffee grinder’ lol erg

tjagain

it might grind and whirr – straight cut cogs but shouldn’t feel notchy.  Service on them is annual oil dunk for the gear cluster – dunno about the roller brake.  check the cable alignment which they are very sensitive to.  sounds to me like it might just be a tiny bit out of adjustment or the roller brake needs fettling.  Roller brakes are counter intuitive – they need to be loaded with grease IIRC so could be a dry roller brake?

Needs to go to someone who understands them – your LBS might not have dealt much with them – roller brake nexus hubs are not common.

tjagain
    elwoodblues
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies!

I already took a look at the suggested webpages, but I found them a bit hard to navigate, and there wasn’t much information related to the 8 speed hubs. And I know that the STW knowledge base is vast and filled with real world experience!

I live in Denmark, where at least half of the bikes sold are 5, 7, or 8 speed internals, so the LBS should know what they are doing… Perhaps they have a new mechanic?

Anyway, I have delivered the bike to them this morning. It is still under warranty, so they deserve to take a shot at it before I attempt to do some spannering myself.

Kahurangi

Is the chain too tight? My Alfine grumbles (more than usual) if the chain is tight.

elwoodblues
    Free Member

If anything, the chain is too slack.

It’s a bit worn after 2000 kilometers, so I have asked them to put a new chain on anyway.

cyclesouthwest
    Free Member

It’s probably the roller brake.

I’ve knackered several alfine hubs in a variety of interesting ways. None felt “notchy” (except the one that threw a tooth on a gear, that was notchy for about 2m then lunched itself)

epicyclo

elwoodblues

I live in Denmark, where at least half of the bikes sold are 5, 7, or 8 speed internals, so the LBS should know what they are doing… Perhaps they have a new mechanic?

You’d be amazed at the amount of bike mechanics who twiddle the adjustment on a hubgear rather than adjusting to the marks.

But a newish bike? Probably the gear cable needs adjusting after settling in.

tjagain

denmark?  they really should know how to set them up.  I thought it was UK where these hubs confuse some shops

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Nexus 8 speed internal hubs…’ is closed to new replies.