Home Forums Chat Forum Is it illegal to NOT serve tap water in a restaurant??

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Is it illegal to NOT serve tap water in a restaurant??
  • DrP

I think it is, friends think it is, but I can’t seem to find any tight legislation on the issue….

So, can anyone link me to a website/document that says it is/isn’t illegal to NOT serve free tap water in public joints??

Lame request i know, but hey…

DrP

thomthumb
    Free Member

bars not resraurants iirc

longweight
    Free Member

I think that any retailer can refuse service? Most just supply free tap water as a good will gesture is how I have always understood it. I believe bars and clubs do have to give you free tap water

longweight
    Free Member

You beat me too it Thomthumb, isn’t it past your bedtime?!

MrFart
    Free Member

The Guardian did an article about it last year. IIRC a legal grey area.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I know in a really posh restaurant in leith they refused my friend tapwater.

longweight
    Free Member
    luke
    Free Member

The thing is, water costs money so why should it be free?, we give it out for free to customers who ask at the pub I work in, but when you get a group of ramblers come in asking if they can all fill there bottles, when they have parked there cars in your car park and then ate there packed lunches in your beer garden whilst using you toilets all without putting any money over the bar, why do they seem confused when you say no.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have never been refused tap water in a restaurant. I always ask for a jug as I order my meal. If I was refused I would walk out there and then.

Once in a rather posh restaurant I asked for water – “certainly sir, Edinburgh or bottled” was the answer which I thought rather good.

scaredypants

(in the guardian story) Sue Penniston, spokeswoman for the Drinking Water Inspectorate, part of Defra, says: “There are a lot of misconceptions, some of which arose out of the Leah Betts case. In the wake of her death, a lot of large premises had clauses put into their licensing agreements which obliged them to offer tap water free of charge.

8O

I thought she was shown to have died of water intoxication ??

Luke – you should give em free water but clamp their cars. (I don’t always buy a meal at a pub when I use their car park but I do make a point of at least taking a dump there. You’ve got to put something back; that’s what my old mum says :wink: )

luke
    Free Member

I’ve not got a problem with customers having tap water if they’ve already spent money in the pub, its the ones that only come in for the free water, that annoy me.
    Clamping cars would be a good idea but we could use 20-30 clamps some days what with ramblers and the local football teams using our car park.
    At least the bikers tend to ask first or at least spend some money after.

konabunny
    Free Member

“I thought she was shown to have died of water intoxication ??”

Yes, that woman has it backwards. Betts died of water poisoning at home, not at licensed premises from a lack of water. What is she is confusing it with is something that happened at the same time: people kept going to clubs, taking E, not being able to drink water and keeling over on the dancefloor. I think it was (some) local councils that made it a condition of club/alcohol licenses that they had to give free water to the punters.

sq225917
    Free Member

no one ever died from heat exhaustion and taking E in a club, quite a few died from drinking too much.

CountZero

typical ramblers, turn up with packed lunches, flasks and muddy boots, buy mebbe a half pint between ’em then expect water as well. Cheek. And on top of that they want the whole bluudy countryside to themselves as well. Set the wolverines on them, I say!

konabunny
    Free Member

no one ever died from heat exhaustion and taking E in a club, quite a few died from drinking too much.

Unfortunately, that’s not true. It’s a (relatively) easily managed risk but certainly quite a few people have died from heatstroke after taking E.

There is tons of information out there on E + hyperthermia e.g. “The most common cause of MDMA-related death, however, is due to the drug inducing a rise in body temperature to the point of hyperthermia (overheating)” http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/e_guide.html , which is about as far from hysterical frothing Daily Mail moral panic as you can get.

konabunny
    Free Member

obviously it’s the ramblers on E that are by far the worst

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thought all this stemmed from an old english law about not refusing a traveller a drink. However, I don’t think it specified it had to be water (but why would you give away your beer?).

DickBarton

Because it tastes awful?

jobbyheid
    Free Member

I’ve heard it’s illegal not to provide free tap water in a reataurant in Scotland but not in England..

kevonakona
    Free Member

Pub i served in used to serve Loch Winnoch by the jug for free. If someone annoyed the staff we charged for it, well you gotta clean glasses pay for the lemon/ice cubes somehow.

hora
    Free Member

No its the mental disorders/depression in later life that gets them in the end. A delayed early-death in alot of cases I bet.

Why wouldnt they give you tap water? FFS, you hardly go into a restaurant to quench just your thirst?!!!

konabunny
    Free Member

No its the mental disorders/depression in later life that gets them in the end. A delayed early-death in alot of cases I bet.

Sigh. Got any evidence for that?

hora
    Free Member

So artificially chemically heightening euphoria isnt a bad thing? :|

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It’s weird thought you go to France and the first thing they do is place a large jug of free tap water on the table.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

konabunny – Member

Sigh. Got any evidence for that?

I believe there is some evidence oof high eccys use leading to depression in later years but no proof as yet. As with cannabis psychosis it is very hard to show a link and most drug users use multiple drugs. Is it a cause, a trigger or coincidence?

konabunny
    Free Member

I think those are all fair questions and it’s easy to believe that heavy/ excessive/ abusive use of any substance from crack to corn will cause you problems sooner or later.

But that’s a million miles away from saying “gore blimey ecstasy gives you mental health problems and causes delayed early death” (whatever that is supposed to mean)…

jojoA1
    Free Member

Totally based on personal and anecdotal evidence, I believe that significant ecstasy use correlates with consequent problems with depression and memory.

druidh
    Free Member

jojoA1 – Member

Totally based on personal and anecdotal evidence, I believe that significant ecstasy use correlates with consequent problems with depression and memory.

Isn’t that just old age?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Significant and heavy usage of any drug leads to problems.

jojoA1
    Free Member

“Isn’t that just old age?”

Don’t think so, I was too young when it all started :)

It’s karma, you can’t be that happy and feel that good for that long without a payback sometime in your life…

konabunny
    Free Member

you can’t be that happy and feel that good for that long without a payback sometime in your life…

S’funny, it doesn’t seem to ever work out the other way around for truly miserable people. I don’t think philosophically what you say is true.

Medically, I suppose it all just comes back to what you (one) mean by “significant”. If significant means “enough to bugger you up” then you just have a circular statement (if you take enough E to bugger you up then it will bugger you up).

vinnyeh

delayed early-death

8O

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Is it illegal to NOT serve tap water in a restaurant??’ is closed to new replies.