Home Forums Chat Forum Gigs.

Viewing 35 posts - 1,801 through 1,835 (of 1,835 total)
  • Gigs.
  • cobba
    Free Member

Saturday afternoon is Liars At The Witchtrials at Rock n Roll Brewhouse in Brum, looking forwards to it as seen them before. A bit early PJ Harvey/ White Stripes. Then on the evening its to Chas Manns in Kings Heath for Not Quite Dead Yet, ukelele punk in a nice small intimate space.

chrispoffer

Ryan Adams for me at the Barbican in York tomorrow night.  Probably the 6th or 7th time I’ve seen him over the years, 2nd time at the Barbican.  2 sets, 2 and a half hours of sad but uplifting music.

somafunk

Mates 16yr old heading to Arab strap tonight in Dumfries, followed by Franz Ferdinand next weekend and I’ve also got him two tickets to Mogwai next February at usher hall Edinburgh (Xmas presents).

I can’t get to gigs due to my spms so I’m sending him to everything I’d want to go to.

somafunk

He loved it, I sent Aidan a message earlier to heckle the two “youngest geeky kids” in the audience. He got a free t-shirt as well so he’s going to be riding high on the “fame” at school tmorn, I forgot he’s off to Glasgow tmorns night to see “the last dinner party” at the O2 wi his mate.

Ohhh to be 16 again

Northwind

Tickets for Mogwai bought, I hope they play the one that goes really quiet then really loud.

Go Team next week, should be good!

rone

Tickets for Mogwai bought, I hope they play the one that goes really quiet then really loud.

Go Team next week, should be good!

We just shot the music video for Mogwai’s latest song – God Get’s You Back.

Enjoyed doing as we went full bore on the lighting.

Seems very different to other pieces they’ve done.

kelvin

Seems very different to other pieces they’ve done.

It’s almost dreampop. Or just shoegaze. Or whatever. Old… but not old Mogwai. I love it. It’s also a great video.

Ohhh to be 16 again

I bet that t-shirt doesn’t come in skinny teens fit!

Gutted to have missed this Arab Strap tour. Work and stag do clashes.

rone

Cheers for the positive comment on that.

I do love a good bit of Shoegaze / Dream Pop.

Their soundtrack for zerozerozero is excellent.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just got my tickets for Jason Isbell in November at the Usher Hall, I have very high hopes for this gig.

desperatebicycle

First gig with my son in October. Said he wanted to go see a young rapping fellow called Nasty C at the Jazz Cafe. Now I like me a bit of the old rap, had a listen to a few bits on youtube, was cool, so bought tickets and we’re going. Then I listened to the guys newest album, gawd it’s awful .. all R&B slush.. ah well, be nice to have an outing with the lad that isn’t bike riding related :)

2 days after that I have UNKLE. Not sure how to work the London travel in.

somafunk

I bet that t-shirt doesn’t come in skinny teens fit!

Gutted to have missed this Arab Strap tour. Work and stag do clashes.

If you showed him a pair of skinny jeans he’d tell you to f-off, skinny jeans went out a number of years ago, these days its all relaxed fit.

CountZero

Gemma Hayes in Bristol next week, and a ticket obtained for Pixies next May at Brixton Academy. I’ll be there nice and early to grab a place at the front!

Changing my travel plans to make sure I won’t have to leave while they’re still playing, like I did at their Roundhouse gig…

razorrazoo

Last 24 hours has seen tickets booked for Maximo Park later this month and then Corteeners in October, both at Pryzm / Banquet Records Kingston.  Therapy? Troublegum 30 years in Shepards Bush not too far off now in November.

Northwind

Hmmm so Me First And The Gimme Gimmes? Could be great, could of course be absolute ****. Anyone seen them live before? I love the albums but also I’ve seen Fat Mike’s approach to live performance with a 50 minute set that had about 6 3 minute songs in :)

Northwind

Ooooooooh. Frank Turner Lost Evenings coming to Edinburgh a year from now, that’s a nice birthday present for future me!

Garry_Lager

Do any of you regular gig-goers use earplugs? I have tickets for Godspeed YBE next week in Manchester and they are meant to be loud AF. I’ve never used them but apparently you can hear the music fine with modern plugs?

StuF

Sometimes I use loop earplugs if the gig is particularly loud, they do work and stop the ringing in the ears later in the night / next day.

Smaller acoustic gigs I don’t bother with them, larger gigs – especially if the audience is screaming teenage girls or heavy rock where they’ve turned it up to 11 then it’s worth it.

boltonjon

Managed to see Jack White at the O2 Academy last weekend.  Tickets only went on sale on the Tuesday prior but well worth the 450 mile round trip to see the sow.

1200 capacity, so very intimate and my ears are still ringing!

I’m guessing a rehearsal gig for an upcoming tour.  Only 3 White Stripes songs, quite a bit of the Raconteurs and most of his new album ‘No Name’.

20 odd years since seeing him headlining at Reading & Glastonbury and i still think he’s the best live act out there!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Tickets for Floating Points in London in January bought.  That should help with the January blues.

lister

I’ve got a cracking weekend booked for November in Bristol.

Therapy? on the Friday night then They Might Be Giants on the Saturday. And a decent bike ride during the day in between. Can’t wait!

I’ve used basic earplugs a couple of times – both at Bob Mould gigs (one electric solo and one full band). My right ear struggles after really loud music and they make a difference. They take out a lot of the top end distortion that he always features but you can then hear more of the tune and the rest of the band. Still take them out for a few songs to get the full experience though.

CountZero

@Garry_Lager – yes, if it’s going to be a rock, or fairly loud gig, but if it’s going to be mostly acoustic-type music. I saw Gemma Hayes tonight, and I didn’t bother, but there’s a couple of songs ‘Lucky One’ and ‘Ran For Miles’ where everything gets cranked up several notches and the band really get behind Gemma and things get a bit raucous! She’s clearly really enjoying herself too.

I use Rooth ‘plugs, but there’s lots of musicians earplugs with frequency filters that do the same thing, it’s worth getting several pairs and having them on several sets of keys, which is what I do – seeing Tool without them isn’t a good idea, and I’ll be seeing Opeth and Heilung next year…

desperatebicycle

cobba
    Saturday afternoon is Liars At The Witchtrials at Rock n Roll Brewhouse in Brum

@cobba
    – did this happen? Can’t find any listings for Liars touring over here. Be gutted if I missed a local(ish) gig!

desperatebicycle

Ah, not LIARS … Liars at the Witchtrials! Soz :)

ChrisL

I, Northwind, and a few other friends went to the Queen’s Hall yesterday to see The Go! Team on their Thunder, Lightning, Strike! 20th anniversary tour. Really good, a big, energetic, joyful noise from start to finish. The encore possibly didn’t quite live up to the main set, but that was because the main set was the complete Thunder, Lightning, Strike! album and that is a hard act to follow!

One of the friends who went was new to the band yet was completely won over, so I reckon that’s a win too. :-)

My next gigs are Public Service Broadcasting and John Grant, both at the Barrowlands in October.

Del

Me and the Mrs off to see orbital and leftfield tonight. :-)

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve seen both Orbital and Leftfield recently, you should be in for a cracker.  Hope you’ve got a disco biscuit or two.

boxelder

The Vaselines for me next week in Carlisle – no interest from my daughters………. 8-)

razorrazoo

Maximo Park at Banquet Records last night.  Played the new album in full with some nice commentary from Paul and then played a few of the classics as an encore.

IMG_1865

Ambrose

@del, I hope you had as good a time as we did :-D

It was a bit of a family trip, the first time we were all together at a gig in years. No1 Son works in the industry so usually treats me to surprise ‘hey Dad, what you doing tomorrow night? I’ve got us passes to (insert band of choice here) moments so it was nice to treat him.

Anyway, Orbital and Leftfield were properly delivering the goods (apart from ‘Melt’, what was that all about???).

Mrs A had to dip out towards the end, noise, lights and tiredness were starting to be a bit of a trigger.

Earplugs you say? I used a pair of Screwfix specials for the first half but went commando for the second. My ears are definitely ringing now. The others used decent earplugs No1 Son had spare although Mrs A couldn’t get them to stay put.

Whilst wearing mine I could still hear the music, it was quieter. The big bass feel in the air was still there obviously.

I’m 62 so have lost a load of ability to detect high frequencies fwiw.

Lovely moment at the end, as we walked away from the gig, Son #2 hands me a Leftfield tee he bought for me from the merch stall. Which was nice :-D

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I’m double booked for tomorrow night.
    Mudhoney at St Lukes at exactly the same time as my son’s band in Mcchuills.
    I feel a bit bad about possibly missing my son’s band, as I’d vowed to try to go to all of his gigs that I could. Luckily St Lukes and Mcchuills are fairly close by, so if stage times are kind I might see them both.

simondbarnes

Tom Hingley & band playing through The Grand Mal album last night was fantastic.

DSCF8954

Off to see some prog rock tonight with Legs on Wheels @ MASH in Macclesfield :-)

b33k34

The Golden Dregs on Thursday at the George Tavern. Captivating. Loved their album from last year on 4ad. New one due soon.

IMG_3839

Northwind

Like ChrisL was at the Go! Team the other night, I reckon best I’ve ever seen them- I caught them once right back when thunder lightning strike was still new and that was great too but the band wasn’t as good as the current one. And yeah sure the encore wasn’t as good but when you’ve got a main set this good, that’s just fine. Bristol tonight and Dublin tomorrow, if you’re even slightly go team curious you should definitely go.

Terrorvision tomorrow! One of these days I will see a band thta hasn’t been around for 20+ years. BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY! Got a wee break after that then off to London to see Biffy Clyro play their first album Blackened Sky, one of my favourite albums ever and hopefully a proper full-on throwback to 2005.

desperatebicycle

Great gig at the ol’ Joiners in Southampton last night – AK/DK  with Wampth supporting. Enthusiasm from those fellas playing to 50-60 people was awesome to see. My mate and I bought albums at the end.

For the benefit of this thread.https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/theft-by-ticketmaster it was £30 for the 2 of us, which included a “help restore the Joiners” donation. LPs were £20. **** bargain !

Northwind

Terrorvision last night in Glasgow was a surprise, first time in the venue (Slay) and it’s decent, sound wasn’t brilliant though. Terrorvision I’ve seen a bunch of times way back to the 90s and they’ve always been decent but they seemed really reenergised last night, no sense of by the numbers, and gave us a pretty massive set albeit with some of htem a wee bit slowed down. They’re obviously not spring chickens but they’ve just switched over to marathon not sprint. Obviously got all the singles but a bunch of album cuts too. Just a really good rock and roll show.

(drummer was having a nightmare tbh, every time he tried to do a fill he lost the beat, not sure if that was a monitor problem but tbh the rest of the band could carry it)

Viewing 35 posts - 1,801 through 1,835 (of 1,835 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.