Home Forums Bike Forum Giant defy 1 or Giant defy 1 composite?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Giant defy 1 or Giant defy 1 composite?
  • t160man
    Free Member

Looking at buying a new bike, I’m the wrong side of 50, so looking for some comfort when in the saddle for a few hours.

I am looking at a M/L framed defy 1 at £999, alloy framed bike with 105 components, or the £600 more expensive defy 1 composite, carbon framed with ultegra components.

I take it the carbon frame bike should soak up some of the rougher roads better, and the ultegra components will be very smooth (only ever used 105 stuff before), I am only a weekend rider at best, so is the composite bike worth the extra £600?

Any feedback on either bike welcome.

Thanks in advance
    Gary

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Paul’s Cycles seem to have a few Defys in at good prices.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not test ride them?

Clink

I have a Defy 1 – I find it fairly comfy – quite happily do 100 miles plus on it. I’ve not ridden the carbon to compare though.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have a Defy advanced and prior to that had an aluminium Trek.
    There is certainly a more damped quality to the ride of the carbon Defy which removes some of the road buzz and they ride very nicely indeed. Whilst designed for comfort the Defy is still an agile and lively bike.
    I’ve only had a very brief ride on an aluminium Defy.Initial impressions were good but you’d have to ride them back to back to.decide if the composite was worth the extra.

TiRed

Both are fine bikes and will suit your riding. If you can afford the Composite, i would go for that. ultegra in nicer kit than 105, but not really better or lighter. The alloy frame will take a rack and mudguards if that is important, but Giant carbon frames are excellent at all price points.

I have a Defy Advanced SL with Ultegra. teen2 has an alloy Defy with Tiagra

t160man
    Free Member

I don’t intend buying another road bike for several years, we don’t get any younger, so I’m looking for the best bike I can afford, that dampens the road surface out, I have read good reports on all the defy models.
    I’ve only ever ridden a Roubaix before, so obviously this was a carbon frame too, which was a nice riding position and smooth.
    Its one of those, if you go alloy you always wonder what the composite model would ride like.

TiRed

The front end of the Roubaix is a bit higher than the Defy. But I think you have answered your own question. The composite is a very good bike and rightly popular in our club, ultegra is excellent.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I would say get the carbon. I went from a very excellent Canondale CAAD8 to a Defy carbon 3 (the lower spec one with Tiagra). There is nothing between them weight wise, if anything the Defy might be a tad heavier, but it’s a nicer ride. The CAAD8 was ever stiff and harsh, fine if you’re a harder core racer, the Defy us definitely more comfortable ride.

oldgit
    Free Member

The Alloy Defy ride is very smooth. The big leap is from the Alloy Defy, skipping the Composite and onto the Advanced SL.
    The Composite is a bit of an old lump, I’d not bother personally. Plus the Alloy takes Defy specific guards.
    The ride with these bikes is down to their design and not so much the material.

I think if you don’t want to spend the extra £600 it won’t matter. You will miss out on the nice very practical new 11 speed groupset and wheels though. But I don’t think you should regret the ride quality.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’ve got a Defy 1 alloy and use it for all day rides as well as crit racing, so it’s a fine bike.

There is a ton of frame clearance for 25mm tyres and probably 28’s if you fancied. Couple that with excellent specific mudguards and you’ve got a great bike for a grand. I’d spend the extra money on a set of high spoke count hand built wheels, put fat tyres on, and that’d last you a lifetime.

bruders338
    Free Member

Carbon all the way.

especially because you request that you dont want to have to change bikes at a later date.

the alloy is fine with a good groupset but for an extra £600 your getting the next upgrade in groupset along with the frame.

if you was to buy the alloy then wish to upgrade it would cost you more than £600 to do this..

plus carbon as already said if your doing 20miles plus will really help with the road buzzing that you can get in your hands with alloy.

but Giant as a hole do the best road bikes… mines a TCR :D

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve ridden centuries on my alloy Defy and felt fresh. It’s waaaay comfier than a bog standard alloy road bike. Admittedly I’ve never ridden the carbon but don’t be under the impression that the alloy is a harsh ride; it’s not at all.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve ridden centuries on my alloy Defy and felt fresh. It’s waaaay comfier than a bog standard alloy road bike. Admittedly I’ve never ridden the carbon but don’t be under the impression that the alloy is a harsh ride; it’s not at all.

Agree, got a 384 miler in one hit in two weeks and I’m not at all worried about comfort.
    I’ll check, but I think the Composite frame is heavier than the Alloy. They have the same wheels and the Ultegra is £500 plus over the 105 at about £300. The Ultegra is seen as better though, especially it’s non BCD chainset.

tinybits
    Free Member

Just to throw another in there, the Giant Defy 0 is £1200, comes with the ultegra stuff you’re thinking about.

That hasn’t helped has it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

t160man – Member
    I don’t intend buying another road bike for several years,

And you’d rely on opinions from strangers, none of whom have ridden both, rather than test ride?

t160man
    Free Member

No, I’m going to test ride.
    But no harm in putting the question out for general debate.

MoreCashThanDash

Lots of Defy threads over the years, no one complains about the ride of the alloy one, though the carbon will presumably be more comfortable.

The alloy one takes Giants own mudguards. If you are only going to have one bike but will use it in all weathers, I’d take alloy with guards over carbon.

oldgit
    Free Member

If it helps I’ve ridden them all, and the TCR’s.

My oldie, bloody love it.

Superficial
    Free Member

Just to throw another in there, the Giant Defy 0 is £1200, comes with the ultegra stuff you’re thinking about.

That’s what I’ve got. The 2013 version, anyway. As above, I love it. I’m not completely convinced it’s £200 better than the £1000 version with 105 but then again I preferred the black and blue paint :roll: No regrets, anyway.

turbo1397
    Free Member

I had the exact same dilemma. Managed to get a defy comp 1 for 1400 from pauls cycles. . Glad I went for the carbon.. beautiful bike to ride and won’t need to upgrade for a while. .

Clink

I think the alloy looks nicer, particularly in the blue! Haven ridden several long rides on my Defy 1 and don’t see any need to upgrade.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Giant defy 1 or Giant defy 1 composite?’ is closed to new replies.