Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • when you spray a wasps nest how fast do the little b*****s come out
  • meeeee
    Free Member

theres a wasps nest in the shed about the size of a small melon.

Now i could do the very sensible thing and pay someone to come in and remove it, or i could save myself £45 and try it myself with a can of that foaming nest killer.

I’m just wondering how fast they come out once you spray it? Obviously i’m going to try and murder them at night when they’re nearly all tucked up bed.

Its tucked away in a corner of the shed that means i have to go right in there to spray it, i cant just take a well aimed sniper shot through a crack in the door. Am just worried that in the time it takes to cover the nest in foam i could be left cornered in the shed by an angry buzzing swarm 😕

jam-bo

whatever you do, film it…

warton
    Free Member

Certain things are worth paying someone for.

Sanding floors
    Killing wasps
    cleaning chimneys

are three that come to mind.

chambord
    Free Member

😥 poor little waspies

slowjo
    Free Member

Poke it with a stick first, just to make sure you get them all! ;o)

A pest controller I knew a while back simply sprayed them (i.e. emptied the tin) with bog standard fly spray – the cheapest he could get.

Worked for him.

I’d say wear long sleeves and trousers, glove etc just to make sure there is as little of you to sting as possible.

bigjim

if its tucked away why not just leave it?

scruff9252

Never dealt with a nest quite that size but in the past I have knocked the nest into a bin (with lid, natch). Once they are contained I have then released your preferred chemical weapon into said bin.

It you position it right and plan it through you can have the nest off the ceiling, into bin and lid on within a second.

DO NOT ON ANY ACCOUNT FAIL TO GET THE LID ON PROMPTLY. otherwise, quite frankly you are screwed.

I have used this method quite a lot without mishap and it is very effective.

hooli

Just do it, whats the worst that can happen 😆

Mackem

The local council will deal with it for nowt.

meeeee
    Free Member

bigim – i need to get it out as i need to empty the shed as we’re moving house. First noticed it yesterday when i nearly smashed it yesterday getting the patio umbrella out.

mackem – our council wont do it they said either DIY or contact a commercial company.

I’m leaning towards getting someone in to do it, but theres a part of me that feels i should at least try things like this once in my life…

johndoh
    Free Member

The local council will deal with it for nowt.

The local some councils will deal with it for nowt.

IE; http://www.harrogate.gov.uk/ensv/Pages/Wasps-Pest-Treatment.aspx

A wasp treatment costs £44.40 for domestic properties (free if on income support or registered disabled).

convert

Have you not got a small child you can send in to do the job for you? I’m sure* I read somewhere that they are immune to wasp stings.

*It might have been a dream.

flicker
    Free Member

scruff9252 – Member

Never dealt with a nest quite that size but in the past I have knocked the nest into a bin (with lid, natch). Once they are contained I have then released your preferred chemical weapon into said bin.

It you position it right and plan it through you can have the nest off the ceiling, into bin and lid on within a second.

DO NOT ON ANY ACCOUNT FAIL TO GET THE LID ON PROMPTLY. otherwise, quite frankly you are screwed.

I have used this method quite a lot without mishap and it is very effective.

Also used this method to great effect, the bin sounded VERY angry 😯

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Surely it is one of the rites of passage in the journey that is Manhood.

dashed
    Free Member

The sprays have a reach of about 15′ – unless your shed is of Mcmoonter proportions you should be able to spray it from the safety of the door way…

jambourgie
    Free Member

Just man up and grab it and hoy it into your neighbours garden. Wasps respect a firm hand.

jota180
    Free Member

Do it after they’ve all settled down for the evening, that way you know they’re all in there.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I’m leaning towards getting someone in to do it

As I work as a pest controller I’d say get somebody in to do it. An annoyed swarm of wasps can move very fast and with alarming coordination against somebody trying to kill them with a can of spray in an enclosed space like a shed.

If you insist on doing it yourself try to use a wasp killing spray that has a bit of range, you’ll at least have a couple of seconds head start! As said above, cover up with plenty of protective clothing.

Yak

Liking scruff’s technique. Go for it!

Photo sequence on here pls!

meeeee
    Free Member

The sprays have a reach of about 15′ – unless your shed is of Mcmoonter proportions you should be able to spray it from the safety of the door way…

ah but its tucked behind a roof truss, on the wrong side of it so i cant actually see it until i’m at the back of the shed and facing the door. Thats why i want to know how fast they come out!

I think i might ring someone… 😳

Harry_the_Spider

+

+

mudshark
    Free Member

Can of deodorant and a cigarette lighter.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

this might help ( he made it look easy)

Be a man (or not)

flicker
    Free Member

meeeee – Member

ah but its tucked behind a roof truss, on the wrong side of it so i cant actually see it until i’m at the back of the shed and facing the door. Thats why i want to know how fast they come out!

I think i might ring someone…

It’ll be fine, they’ll come out of the nest quite slowly….

…..that’s a massive lie :D, they’ll be out of the nest like a mental bird armed with a stiletto, after she’s downed two bottles of lambrini..

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Last year my somewhat dim neighbour came over to see me and said “I’ve got African bees in my hedge” We live in Central Scotland. anyway i said I’d go have a look and over we go. As I gingerly peer into the hedge to get a better look at what they are, she comes along side and boots the hedge, “See they are african bees!”
    Got stung several times before I even knew wtf was going on. In conculsion Wasps (for thats what they were, surprise surprise) can move very fast indeed espcially when a big fat housewife boots their nest.
    Get someone in. £40 and no stings.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Nuke them from space?

Kids fishing net to ‘catch’ the nest and then fling it over which ever neighbors fence you don’t like, lacrosse style?

headfirst
    Free Member

If you go in disguise they won’t know what’s bothered them and you’ll be fine

wwaswas

Don’t make a mistake and go dressed as a Bee.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVDW1h4UBZ0[/video]

You could use it to boost your immune system, apparently…

scotroutes

Given it’s in an enclosed space, is there nothing you can get that would fumigate/poison them in situ. I’m thinking some sort of device that would produce smoke…

flicker
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Given it’s in an enclosed space, is there nothing you can get that would fumigate/poison them in situ. I’m thinking some sort of device that would produce smoke…

I like your thinking…set the shed on fire, what could possibly go wrong? 😀

LS
    Free Member

I’ve used the sprays half a dozen times over the years with no ill effects, and I’m not inclined to take too many risks – I’m highly allergic to the little swines.
    I want them dead and gone immediately because of this so I keep a can of spray in the garage at all times.

martinhutch

Nah, you need one of these. (Not a Chinese newsreader, a bit further on).

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWM__QNgc4g[/video]

Any collateral damage to the shed itself should be no problem.

jon1973
    Free Member

Do it after they’ve all settled down for the evening, that way you know they’re all in there.

You should have done it during the World Cup final. You pretty much would have guaranteed they’d all been in watching the games

scotroutes

But not the final. I think they’re all Brazzzzzzzzzzzil fans

Drac

Just leave it I have I get one in my shed every year they don’t bother you unless you disturb them.

matt_outandabout

Oooh, I have the same issue, however it is transposed to the space in the roofline, behind the gutters. So I was planning a similar spray and run, except I would be stood on a roof, with a window to dive through when the mob emerge….

Having poured fuel into a ground hole wasps nest and thrown the match, all I can say is they are bloomin’ fast from sleep to flight….

dlr

A load set up camp in an old log right next to one of my trails before. Without thinking I decided it would be a good idea to roll the log away from the side of the trail……..cue lots of manly screaming as I sprinted away, two of them got me, came from nowhere!

Got about 30 metres away and was safe, looked back and noted the bike on the floor next to the log, sigh….had to wait for them to calm down before going back for it. I avoided that area after that until they naturally went!

CountZero

Having poured fuel into a ground hole wasps nest and thrown the match, all I can say is they are bloomin’ fast from sleep to flight…

I think that’s because not all of them are asleep, I think there are always some awake near the entrance fanning their wings to keep air circulating around the nest.
    Which would be why they go from zero to incandescent rage in fractions of a second.

Could make a nifty bioweapon; plonk the container outside the front door of someone you really dislike, loosen the lid, ring the bell and run like hell!
    😈

bedmaker

I’ve got one huge one in the eave of a dormer window which is being left as not causing a nuisance.

I had one in my shed which I lived with for a good while but it was just getting to be too much hassle, I need to use the shed and we sit out near it.
    It was about the size of a small melon, I smacked it with a brush and legged it! Once the dust settled a bit I went back in with a thick jacket on and blasted the area with wasp spray. Repaeat a couple of times, sorted.

Isn’t it supposed to be good to scare yourself silly from time to time?

If the nest is left intact, if I removed it in the winter and left it in a warm room, would it soon be filled with freshly hatched wasps? 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘when you spray a wasps nest how fast do the little b*****s come out’ is closed to new replies.