• This topic has 4,478 replies, 425 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,161 through 2,200 (of 4,479 total)
  • Forum Update
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

<p><p>Another upgrade, still a load of P over my posts.</p></p><p></p><p>Also, my name seems to be</p><p>Squirrelk</p><p>ing</p><p></p><p>and I’m a </p><p></p><p>Mem</p><p>ber</p>

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What joy! There’s a new glitchy bumpy thingy!

When a thread gets to a new page, clicking on the ‘Freshness’ link takes you to the penultimate page.

Almost like the good old days of glitchybumporama!

sturdylad
    Free Member

Love the new look of forum since the latest chance.

Looked awful on my work laptop this morning but looks mega on my phone tonight. Hopefully it’s going to be the same when I get to work tomorrow!!

km79
    Free Member

When looking at the foum whilst logged out there is a premier partners box/ad above the follow us box on the right hand side which changes partner each refresh. This isn’t clickable, would be better if it were. Also the box is not present when logged in.

rufus748
    Free Member

Where’s the search function gone? Can’t see it for looking?

cheers

scaredypants

minor point but…

the pop-up banner thingy with “singletrack” and the menu burger icon makes me mad* (on phone or pc) in the same way that those slidey overlaid photos on “curated” web-pages do

I’d much rather something like a permanent couple of small icons at one side of the screen, say the burger and a “home” icon

(oh, and hovering over the freshness column used to say who’d replied and I liked it)

*not quite enough to kill, but then it’s early doors; give me a week

doordonot
    Free Member

So just checked in for my stw catch-up. Browser shows ‘Gofar Enterprises Ltd’. Thought something was redirecting my browser (Safari on IPhone SE), so closed and tried Chrome. Same thing. So the site hasn’t been hacked? Still showing Gofar Enterprises Ltd.

Shame the ‘Add New’ link at the top of the forums have gone.

Total pages (or views?) are shown for some threads, which numbers billions. Does anyone care? Can’t we just have number of pages with the first page and then the last five pages?

Adverts take up a lot of iPhone screen space. A banner style would be better.

Like others have said, colours are washed out. Needs more contrast between text and background. Quoted text is quite difficult to read.

JoeG
    Free Member

doordonot – Gofar is nothing new; Singletrack is Gofar Enterprises Ltd. That’s what shows up on the credit card statement. Its also at the bottom of their web pages. No hack or anything…

roverpig

Gofar = “Go for a ride” and I think it pre-dates Singletrack

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I can’t get the report button to work…

Still no search function, still no thread title when looking for threads you have contributed to.

Still no list of these are the things we know are wrong

So still we keep repeating ourselves

timber

Newfangled layout and colours and stuff for me, but still no buttons for links or images or stuff and still no change in profile forum menus, just stuff I’ve written or the whole forum in favourites – used to just be Tractor Trumps.

Nice to have the progress updates, but looks like there is still a bit to do from where I’m sat.

bearnecessities

I have an admiration for the way that adblock doesn’t fully block ads anymore – fight the good fight etc 🙂

bigjim

Looks good, I like it. Shame the trolls haven’t left, keep it buggy for a few more weeks and they might leave 🙂

Cougar

Adblock doesn’t block things that aren’t adverts.  Funny, that.

Where’s the search function gone? Can’t see it for looking?

The search caused problems so has been temporarily removed.  It’ll be back.

I can’t get the report button to work…

In what way?  What happens when you try?

Cougar

Also, CFH, give it a rest please, you’ve made your point.

JoeG
    Free Member

Report doesn’t work for me, either. Literally nothing happens other than a little dotted line appears running around the word “Report.”. Win 10, Firefox, PC

aracer
    Free Member

roverpig wrote:

Gofar = “Go for a ride” and I think it pre-dates Singletrack

It does indeed – there was a website which even had a forum 😉 The mag came out of that original website, with the new website following shortly after
    https://web.archive.org/web/20010214053604/http://www.gofar-mtb.com:80/News/260.html (founding subscriber here) It’s amazing to see how far we’ve come.

CaptainFlashheart wrote:

What joy! There’s a new glitchy bumpy thingy!

It’s been a thing on this thread since the update – though AFAIK only on this thread, which appears to have had some glitches (though the glitchy bump is better than it was). As things to be bothered about that one doesn’t even appear on my radar.

bearnecessities

Adblock doesn’t block things that aren’t adverts.  Funny, that.

Shirty much! Looked like ads to me, and I wasn’t actually complaining 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Mark wrote:

FFS Aracer.
    It’s  NOT bullshit!
    how about you accept my invite and come and see for yourself?

As I mentioned above, it’s a bit far for me, otherwise I’d happily take you up – that and I have my own DB driven website software release going on I can’t really get away from (which keeps getting pushed back because the front end doesn’t meet spec on the test server).

You could just provide a rational explanation of why it wasn’t possible to test the front end functionality properly before releasing it – front end functionality which really has nothing to do with your back end migration (if it is that closely linked, you have far more problems than just a few forum glitches). If the answer is that you wanted to get the back end migration done now rather than wait to make the front end work, then that would at least be an honest answer which would make sense to the software devs on here.

Bez

For those wondering about the “Gofar Enterprises Ltd”, it’s because STW is (finally!) using HTTPS. So browsers like Safari will display the name of the certificate owner rather than the domain name. And Gofar is the registered company behind Singletrack.

Cougar

It’s been a thing on this thread since the update

This seems to be a recurring bug dating back years.  It keeps getting fixed, then something comes along that breaks it again.

Shirty much!

I’m not being shirty, honest.  I’m more that capable of being so (and usually apologise for it afterwards), but not just now.  Irreverent and sarcastic perhaps, but that’s just me I’m afraid.  Sorry if it came across badly.

Literally nothing happens other than a little dotted line appears running around the word “Report.”

Hum.  Odd.  Are you one of those who doesn’t see the button bar also?

Anyway, workaround, email moderator@ if you need to report something.

JoeG
    Free Member

Literally nothing happens other than a little dotted line appears running around the word “Report.”

Hum.  Odd.  Are you one of those who doesn’t see the button bar also?

No, AFAIK button bar has always been there for me.

Edit – used it for the quotes above.

Cougar

Oh no, wait, I see the issue.  As you were.

aracer
    Free Member

Having just checked, ‘Report’ isn’t working for me either. I don’t have buttons, but ‘Report’ did work a day or two ago, so it’s clearly something which has broken rather than part of the ‘no buttons’ bug. Though it sounds like you know why?

Bez wrote:

And Gofar is the registered company behind Singletrack.

Ah, I didn’t think that one through far enough – was going to suggest it was the certificate owner when the question first arose, but checking the certificate it’s issued to singletrackworld.com – a whois search comes up with the information shown in the browser bar (presumably browsers do some sort of automatic whois search).

bearnecessities

I’m not being shirty, honest.  I’m more that capable of being so (and usually apologise for it afterwards), but not just now.  Irreverent and sarcastic perhaps, but that’s just me I’m afraid.  Sorry if it came across badly.

I know, it was tongue was in cheek but would like to understand why you think what I posted wasn’t an advert. Is it an internal advert thing? As I intimated, I begrudgingly admire the owners if they’ve found a way around it.

FWIW, I think the look of the site is very tidy & modern –  the click-bait editorials make sense now 🙂 I’d really like to know what the plan is for fixing the historic threads where the OP is half a dozen posts down the thread, of which there appears to be many, because that just feels a bit wrong.

Cougar

Though it sounds like you know why?

I don’t, I worded that badly.  What I meant was, I can replicate the problem.

would like to understand why you think what I posted wasn’t an advert. Is it an internal advert thing? As I intimated, I begrudgingly admire the owners if they’ve found a way around it.

STW hasn’t magically circumvented ad blockers and assorted other subversions.  The sidebar carries links to STW’s own content (just like pretty much every other website).

I’d really like to know what the plan is for fixing the historic threads

There’s something knackered there I know.  It’s on the list.

Cougar

As a random example, here’s what an article on the BBC’s news site looks like.  Y’know, the BBC, who take pride in not using advertising.

View post on imgur.com

Cougar

Here’s the Independent,

JoeG
    Free Member

“Chippendales not objectified like women” 😲

aracer
    Free Member

bearnecessities wrote:

I’d really like to know what the plan is for fixing the historic threads where the OP is half a dozen posts down the thread, of which there appears to be many, because that just feels a bit wrong.

I’m sure there will be a fix for that, as it’s just a problem with extracting things from the DB – though amusingly I do know how to break it https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/if-youre-not-watching-the-tennis/ 😆

Cougar

What am I missing, how is that broken?

aracer
    Free Member

Here’s a clue 😉

https://singletrackworld.com/members/bearnecessities/forums/

Though I’m fairly sure that’s not the issue happening on other threads, it’s probably related as that’s a database linking “feature”.

sbob
    Free Member

As we’re sorting stuff out, can we have it so clicking a link opens a new tab?

somafunk

Yeah?….and?……. I (we the P’s) don’t pay for the bbc website nor the independent so I’d expect there to be sidebars highlighting other created content, as an argumentative aside I’m also a member of two VW forums and two hydroponics forums of which I pay a minimal monthly fee (far less than a singletrack subscription) so that I view only the forum itself, not irritating sidebars with a text that stands out more than the forum itself nor floating graphics that follow you as you scroll down the page.

bearnecessities

STW hasn’t magically circumvented ad blockers and assorted other subversions. The sidebar carries links to STW’s own content (just like pretty much every other website).

The top right box was deffo an advert; blazing saddles or something similar.

Also, aracer, piss about with your own profile!

aracer
    Free Member

bearnecessities wrote:

Also, aracer, piss about with your own profile!

Sorry 😳 – though I didn’t do anything to your profile (and I’ve reverted the change I did make, so the above will no longer make any sense at all).

Jamie
    Free Member

As we’re sorting stuff out, can we have it so clicking a link opens a new tab?

Just shift click a link.

darrell
    Free Member

yeah but Cougar you aren’t paying for the BBC website with a mag subscription or a magic letter P that is supposed to get rid of all the adverts

maybe STW will bring a tiered subscription – you know like Platinum P and then all that stealth advert shite on the right will be gone but if you only have Gold P then tough

Klunk
    Free Member

please sort out the stupidly pale text on the main forum page and quoted text, some of us haven’t got the best eyesight.

Jamie
    Free Member

How hard would it be to have a quote button next to edit/reply etc?

It’s such a pain in the wotsit having to copy and paste on mobile.

If they can launch a Tesla into space, surely this is doable?

Viewing 40 posts - 2,161 through 2,200 (of 4,479 total)

The topic ‘Forum Update’ is closed to new replies.