• This topic has 4,478 replies, 425 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,201 through 2,240 (of 4,479 total)
  • Forum Update
  • njee20
    Free Member

I like the colours and the fonts now (on iPhone) I must say, but it looked dismal on my shit work PC screen yesterday. You also can’t see the ridiculous Facebook shit unless I scroll all the way down, so that’s an improvement.

Cougar if I were Mark/the powers that be I’d want you to step away from this thread. You’re being aggressive, and flatly dismissing anything pointed out (even if people are frustrated and being a little short in their tone), yet you say you’re a disinterested party. It certainly doesn’t come across like that.

TiRed

Heavier font please. As a forum of 40-50 something IT managers, with associated failing eyesight issues, it’s a little hard on the eye on iPad and pc. Phone looks fine and scales nicely. Even on blackberry browser this time.

DezB
    Free Member

it looked dismal on my shit work PC screen yesterday

It looks bloody dismal on my decent PC screen. The FONT IS TOO BIG.

Nobody reads anything in some gothic 27pt font! Look, I’ll post something long to display how stupidly unreadable it is.

(On a PC Screen)

The CPR training was a huge eye opener for me. It’s nothing like the movies, it’s physically challenging, exhausting, takes your full concentration and there’s more to it than the chest compressions and rescue breaths. The thought of having to perform CPR whilst dealing with other injuries or being out in the elements is quite terrifying and although I hope the occasion ever arises for me, I’m grateful to be more prepared for it. How quickly your body temperature drops was also a shock. We did this training in winter and were wearing more than we would have on a ride, yet a couple of minutes of inactivity left us unbearably cold. I will never be heading out for a ride without having an extra layer in my pack, and for the longer rides I will be purchasing one of the shelters we used during the course. I was interested to learn the reaction you could get from a diabetic low on blood sugar. I personally have snapped at people, got very grumpy and become stubborn during rides when I haven’t prepared properly, but I thought it was just a bad trait and not related to my insulin resistance/pre-diabetes! Knowing how to read that reaction could be the difference between helping someone and leaving them to fend for themselves, thinking they just have a bad temper

sharkbait
    Free Member

Should I be seeing any formatting buttons (bold, italic, underline, strikethough, insert image, etc) for posts?? – ‘cos I’ve not seen any since the first ‘update’.
    Chrome on Windows 7 Pro.

whitestone
    Free Member

What’s curious about the Faecesbook crap in the sidebar is that on my home computer using Chrome I don’t see it but on my work machine also using Chrome I do. Both browsers are set up identically, same add-ons and settings in those. I’ve also got the sync feature enabled so most things are the same anyway.

Looking at the code it appears to be a WordPress widget so not sure why it’s blocked at home.

DezB
    Free Member

Adblock doesn’t block things that aren’t adverts.  Funny, that.

Hey, may be shirty, but also wrong. Adblock has a slider bar which enables you to block most types of screen elements. I use it at home to block the shitty forum page. Shame I’m not allowed to install at work.

nbt

Likewise, I’m still not seeing any buttons for formatting replies and adding URLs, images etc. As I do this for a living I can sort them myself but not everyone can…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

To add images, just copy and paste the .url into this box and then  submit.

Et voyla, Rodders.

martinhutch

Hey, may be <em class=”bbcode-em”>shirty, but also wrong. Adblock has a slider bar which enables you to block most types of screen elements.

Indeed. Sadly, in this case, you can block the facebook puffery and the poll, but if you try to block the ‘watch us’ it sends the video to the next available element, which happens to be the forum reply box.

njee20
    Free Member

It looks bloody dismal on my decent PC screen. The <span class=”bbcode-size”>FONT IS TOO BIG</span>.

Nobody reads anything in some gothic 27pt font! Look, I’ll post something long to display how stupidly unreadable it is.

(On a PC Screen)

Mmm, yeah, still doesn’t look great on a PC screen. Ironically the text in the “reply to” box (ie this as I write) is nicer than the text on the main forum.

nixie

If you’re on a desktop, there’s a keyboard shortcut for it: Shift-Alt-D.

Not if you don’t have editor controls 😀

dragon
    Free Member

It’s absolutely rotten o read on a PC, looks OK on a phone mind.

Has anyone tested anything, this ‘improvment’ strategy looks like a case of chuck stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

jimjam
    Free Member

Ok let me try that.

Ð

jimjam
    Free Member

Ok let me try that again.

jimjam
    Free Member

Ð

jimjam
    Free Member

😒

jimjam
    Free Member

😒

😒

😒

😒

aazlad
    Free Member

To add some balance, It looks and works well for me now.  Quotes look a bit washed out on my shitty old laptop screen but otherwise it looks and feels good.  I’ve been using it on an iPhone and laptop and have the edit buttons, pic/quote insert on both.

I bet Mark feels the need for a holiday after this!

whitestone
    Free Member

@jimjam – great if you wish to write in Icelandic! 🙂

RustySpanner

The Facebook thing is a lot smaller for me now on desktop and I’ve no objection to the poll being displayed on the forum screen.

Text still harder to read than previously though.

I’m having to use my specs where I didn’t before.

And keep on keeping on Cougar, Drac and all the other mods.

Your contributions are much appreciated.

stumpy01

I’ve tried to keep away from this thread for a while, until things settled down.

IMO, the mobile site looks nice, as does the page loading on my PC. I haven’t been fiddling with any of the buttons too much, as they seem to be a bit quirky & give unexpected results.

My comments are to do with the font. I don’t know why, but it’s really hard to read – I think it’s too wide. It’s actually making my eyes hurt reading it and sentences are taking a lot longer to read.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ð

Hmm, let me try on Mac.

Î

Nailed it.

whitestone
    Free Member

Looking more closely at the font, it’s very open with little variation in stroke width so appears lighter than it possibly really is. The lack of variation in stroke width is possibly what’s making it hard to read for some people. It’s also a Sans-Serif font which just compounds the problem in copy text.

kayla1
    Free Member

Yeah, the font (on a laptop) is like trying to read a SHIT GUMTREE AD FOR AN MX BIKE, ALL IN CAPS-

FIRTST TOO SEA WILL BYE

NOT 4 FAINT HARTED

WHEELYS 4 FUN

It’s like being shouted at 🙁

BobaFatt
    Free Member

could do with a dropdown on Forums to flick between chat and bike

kelvin

I expect they’ve probably got the message by now about the font … very pretty … great for headlines etc … but not really a body font. I don’t think we need pages and pages of people saying the same thing.

stumpy01

kelvin
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

I expect they’ve probably got the message by now about the font … very pretty … great for headlines etc … but not really a body font. I don’t think we need pages and pages of people saying the same thing.

</div>

Sorry, but I wasn’t about to read through 56 pages of posts, just to see if it had already been mentioned.

And if everyone who finds it an issue actually mentions it, then it will give some indication of whether it is a general problem, or one person being a bit grumbly. If one person complains about it and then no one else does (because they can see someone mentioned it 54 pages ago) it will probably look like it’s just that one person with the issue.

Anyway – let’s see if the quote worked?

jimjam
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Jamie
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

Ð

Hmm, let me try on Mac.

Î

</div>

Nailed it.

</div>
    ‰ ÞʼÍÓ̦Œ̇Á·Ð̵̱̋̊№Æ»”’̧̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̌̌̌ ̨̃̃„„„ŒŒÞÞÞÍÓÍÍÍ”””ÁÁÁ̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉

̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉

̆Á̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉

EDIT: RUNS LIKE A DREAM NOW!

sbob
    Free Member

</div>
    </div>

As we’re sorting stuff out, can we have it so clicking a link opens a new tab?

Just shift click a link.

</div>

That opens in a new window, it’s control+click for a new tab but it would be nice if STW behaved in the same manner as every other website and forum that I use.

I normally use my laptop one handed 😉 and often forget to right click and open in a new tab which inevitably leads to me accidentally closing the tab which STW was on, and even if I remember then you still have to reload the page via the back button.

It’s the most minor of complaints but it is the shittest way of doing things.

whitestone
    Free Member

Sorry, but I wasn’t about to read through 56 pages of posts, just to see if it had already been mentioned.

And if everyone who finds it an issue actually mentions it, then it will give some indication of whether it is a general problem, or one person being a bit grumbly. If one person complains about it and then no one else does (because they can see someone mentioned it 54 pages ago) it will probably look like it’s just that one person with the issue.

Anyway – let’s see if the quote worked?

Don’t include the username and membership status when selecting text to quote. (Says he, hoping that this works as it did before)

aracer
    Free Member

Text colour has been improved which makes things a lot better. I’m not a UI expert, but I guess a Serif font might also make things more readable? (personally I’m finding this fine now I think, but I have good eyesight and I’m on desktop – I suppose I should try on mobile, but I’m feeling somewhat reliant on the extras I have available on Chrome desktop!)

Jamie wrote:

How hard would it be to have a quote button next to edit/reply etc?

Well I have a quote button, so it’s clearly not all that hard to add the required elements (though is the bolded user name irritating as I think I’ve seen suggested – I’ll drop that if so?). No sidebar here and fullish width text too. None of these things are terribly difficult to do, and nor would it take a huge amount of time to test them in the multiple test environments…

edit: actually I reckon the bolding is irritating myself with the current forum look – removed and I’ll drop it

aracer
    Free Member

jimjam wrote:

</div>
    </div>

Ð

Hmm, let me try on Mac.
    Î
    </div>

Nailed it.
    </div>
    ‰ ÞʼÍÓ̦Œ̇Á·Ð̵̱̋̊№Æ»”’̧̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̌̌̌ ̨̃̃„„„ŒŒÞÞÞÍÓÍÍÍ”””ÁÁÁ̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉
    ̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉
    ̆Á̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉̉
    EDIT: RUNS LIKE A DREAM NOW!

Wow, that’s truly impressive – how on earth do you do that?

😆 at how italics make it even better!

sbob
    Free Member

Would be good if they could just pick a text size and go with it. Have to zoom in to reply then zoom out again.

Related image

jimjam
    Free Member

I hope I’m not going crazy here but back in the wild old days of the internet, before every thread was about Trump and Brexit, I seem to remember forum software was a thing. I’m not making that up am I? People used to buy forum software? IIRC there was even some free forum software out there in the ether that you could just “download” into your “computer” and bam = forum, as opposed to growing some misshapen and malformed forum larvae and constantly feeding it in the hope that it’ll eventually evolve into something with a quote button.

I’m not any expert of internets and perhaps I’m just showing my naïveté. Perhaps these off the shelf solutions don’t support the right type of animated pop up gif?

sbob
    Free Member

Perhaps these off the shelf solutions don’t support the right type of animated pop up gif?

I called that weeks ago.

It was interesting to see problems occurring live as things such as inserting adverts into people’s posts caused various unforeseen issues.

jimjam
    Free Member

I called that weeks ago.

It was interesting to see problems occurring live as things such as inserting adverts into people’s posts caused various unforeseen issues.

But were they adverts for advertising products or were they adverts advertising posts on Facebook advertising the fact that sexy and exciting threads you’re contributing to on STW are being used as adverts to lure non STW folk to join STW and hopefully sign up to pay for the privilege of contributing to the adverts which lured them here in the first place?

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think we need pages and pages of people saying the same thing.

Well, it don’t look like they’ve got the bleedin message yet, does it?!  >:(

zokes
    Free Member

Ah, good. I wondered where the gif thread had gone

dannyh
    Free Member

There are a lot of teething problems, but I do think things are slowly getting better (having initially been made a lot worse).

One thing that does get my goat, however, is the assertion that “This can only mean something good is coming” when the site is taken down. I know this is just a holding pattern, but it is corporate-speak BS – something that I am not alone in getting wound up by.

On the other hand, “This can only mean that a change is on the way and this change will initially be total rubbish, but after enough people have complained it will get better in increments” is a bit wordy.

I’m sure some of STW finest could make it more concise and punchy……..

Drac

Pushing the envelope there Danny.

Af those who think they’re hilarious to clutter the thread with cheap shots and silly gifs please stop. All your doing is burying any genuine posts or bug reports. Cheers.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,201 through 2,240 (of 4,479 total)

The topic ‘Forum Update’ is closed to new replies.