• This topic has 4,478 replies, 425 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,401 through 4,440 (of 4,479 total)
  • Forum Update
  • scotroutes

Can I add the one about the Bold button causing text to be repeated

That’s news to me.  What platform?

Chrome/Android/stock keyboard on a Samsung

1/ Type text

2/ Hit Bold button

3/ Type word to be in bold

4/ Hit Bold button (to make normal )

Word typed in step 3 is repeated.

5/ Delete repeated word

6/ Complete post

7/ Wonder how installing a standard plug-in could go so wrong.

Drac

Testing on iPad and safari seems to have worked.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Testing on iPad and safari seems to have worked.

I think we are beginning to see a pattern here……

Drac

Now iPad and Chrome also seems fine.

scotroutes

Other than “it’s too **** embarrassing”, obvs.

If that were the case then we’d have close this thread but it isn’t.

And you’ve successfully avoided answering the question. There’s more misdirection on here than in a Paul Daniels Christmas Special 🙂

Cougar

Personally, my objection is that as soon as a list is published it then has to be maintained and I CBA with that.

And on a point of order here, you don’t get to make demands on what Drac and I do or don’t answer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks for the cookies update, understand the issues.

Drac

And you’ve successfully avoided answering the question.

I considered it but I got bored of a tiny few whining so much that I lost the will.

scotroutes

Personally, my objection is that as soon as a list is published it then has to be maintained and I CBA with that.

I can understand that. The developers would surely be involved though? There’s no point having a list that’s in isolation of what they’re doing.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m pretty bored with your responses too Drac. Who wins?

Drac

I’m pretty bored with your responses too Drac. Who wins?

🤔

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can understand that. The developers would surely be involved though? There’s no point having a list that’s in isolation of what they’re doing.

Yep, but Mark has been in for the month twice now so no more updates for a while….

But really glad we have identified an issue on Android and testing it on IOS…

@cougar
    & @drac

And on a point of order here, you don’t get to make demands on what Drac and I do or don’t answer.

People would like some info from the guys who can give the answers, again you 2 are jumping into the crossfire when they don’t answer or update. Great of Mark to pop up on the Photo linking thread and once in here but it’s not answered many questions

Drac

But really glad we have identified an issue on Android and testing it on IOS…

FFS! I’m testing it on iOS to see if it does it on that too.

Still cracking example of why I lost the will.

He’s answered the question. They are not currently not able to spare the time to fix the forum.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FFS! I’m testing it on iOS to see if it does it on that too.

Still cracking example of why I lost the will.

Apologies if it seemed a little snarky but I’ve spent too long with IOS devs who are amazed stuff needs testing outside of that sandpit.

Anyway as it’s not getting fixed for a while it really just needs popping on the list as Bold Problem with android…

Cougar

People would like some info from the guys who can give the answers, again you 2 are jumping into the crossfire when they don’t answer or update.

I’d like an hour with Eliza Dushku and a catering tub of ghee.

My point is that neither the moderators nor STW staff owe anyone any answers or explanations.  Little digs about avoiding questions aren’t helpful.  We don’t have to reply at all.  We do so as a courtesy and because we’re trying to help (which is why we’re volunteer moderators in the first place).

Would I rather we got more official updates?  Of course.  But I understand why we don’t – Mark said once a while back that he’d rather be able to sleep at night – and I have to respect that decision.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My point is that neither the moderators nor STW staff owe anyone any answers or explanations.

Then it dawned on me that we’ve always had investors. Our subscribers are the very definition of investors. They put money up front to support something they believe in and they get a return on that investment each time they login or when a new issue of the mag arrives through the post.

It’s one or the other.

whitestone
    Free Member

But it shouldn’t be you (Cougar) doing it, it’s the Devs/tech/Mark’s responsibility. Just a list like:

Working On:

Up next:

We know about:

We are back to the “what the hell’s going on?” scenario when the forum changes began to be rolled out. At least we’ve not had the “It’s all going very well” platitudes again.

Cougar

It’s one or the other.

No, it isn’t.  Show me where in your magazine subscription contract T&Cs where it says you’re entitled to regular updates on forum bug fixes and feature requests.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Right, simple version here –

They want our money.

Customer service helps to get peoples money

Cougar

it’s the Devs/tech/Mark’s responsibility

… which is precisely my point.  It’s not their “responsibility” at all.  Not one iota.  It’s their responsibility to keep a business running, not to divulge behind-the-scenes information just because you want them to.  At the risk of being blunt, it’s really none of our business.

In any case, I’m struggling to think of a commercial site which is as open with its userbase as STW is.  This thread wouldn’t even exist on many sites.

Cougar

They want our money.

Customer service helps to get peoples money

I totally agree.

Still doesn’t mean that you get to make demands though.

Mark

We aren’t working on bug fixes. We are working on other things that are more important.

I can’t tell you when we will be working on bug fixes.

whitestone
    Free Member

So even though Mark stated that he’d keep us up to date about updates it’s not his responsibility to do so? Come on!

As I noted about the comment about the site/forum running slowly, it’s taken days before anything was said and even then it wasn’t in a thread that you’d likely read if you thought the forum was slow. In the meantime the customers (I am one BTW, my subscription was originally with grit.cx and hasn’t been migrated) start to moan. A simply sticky at or before the time the caching was turned off was all that was needed. It didn’t and doesn’t need a full expose just “This is going to happen, we’re working on it as our top priority as it affects site speed”.

If you care to look back at my posts about bugs/the updates then you’ll find that I’ve been pretty supportive of things in general. Yes, I’ve reported bugs but I’ve not been a moaner.

sbob
    Free Member

Lovely weather we’ve been having, eh? 🙂

lunge

Err, hi, can you remove the “Singletrack issue 119” advert? Or at least make it black and white? It’s removing the option of stealth browsing at work.

Edit, just read your post and apologies Mark. In the grand scheme of things, in contexts of peoples (your) health then this is wholey unimportant.

Drac

You owe me nothing Mark happy to help.

DezB
    Free Member

Genuinely sorry to hear this thread is causing stress, but you must see that the only single reason it gets bumped is because of the lack of information… anyway, I for one will never post in or even open this thread again. Wish I wasn’t so **** bored at work, then these things wouldn’t have niggled me. I’ll stop being (as much of) a dick.

Drac

Nice one DezB not that I’m suggesting you’re a dick of course.

Jamie
    Free Member

We’re 111 pages in, but how this was all going to play seemed obvious in the first 10-20. Not sure why people are expecting anything to magically change?*

Drac alluded to it on the previous page, but not sure what the actual difference to ‘how things are going’ would be if this thread was taken round the back of the barn and shot.

*Apart from wanting a place they’ve called online home for 5-10+ years to be semi-functional of course.

Drac

would be if this thread was taken round the back of the barn and shot.

squirrelking
    Free Member

So, new issue (yay). The new popup box to say you consent to STW holding data etc. is fine and dandy. Unless I try to do anything with it in (old) Chrome and it just sits there loading for ever more. Something seems to be broken.

Cougar

Your browser?

angeldust
    Free Member

I shouldn’t be surprised, but I see nothing has been learned after 100+ pages

squirrelking
    Free Member

Cougar, quite possibly but it has no issue with any other pop ups. The fact we have just moved to a new proxy filter from Bluecoat may also be an issue but again, all other pop ups work.

ransos
    Free Member

This thread wouldn’t even exist on many sites.

Would it need to?

angeldust
    Free Member

‘I’m not going to answer that because I don’t have to’ is always a fantastic comment from someone acting as a spokesman.  Great for public relations.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Notifications tab. Bit of a confusing jumble!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As we are back here quick test of the Search function (same result as when I last reported it)

Windows/Chrome/PC returns 3-4 ads then forum posts

Android Chrome Returns Site Articles

So they are searching different stuff.

That and the last page thing got up to 3 pages out on the football thread over the weekend

Drac

Windows/Chrome/PC returns 3-4 ads then forum posts

Yup it’s meant to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

did you read the rest of the post drac? Is the android version mant to search different things and return different results?

Viewing 40 posts - 4,401 through 4,440 (of 4,479 total)

The topic ‘Forum Update’ is closed to new replies.