Forum Update

• This topic has 4,478 replies, 425 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by  DezB.
Viewing 39 posts - 4,441 through 4,479 (of 4,479 total)
  • Forum Update
  • Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

did you read the rest of the post drac? Is the android version mant to search different things and return different results?

Yes I did. I’d take a wild guess here and say it should really return the same.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

thanks, didn’t really need the sarcastic comment though did it, was just relaying the facts.

It’s worth bearing in mind that the search doesn’t actually work properly before you tell people it does. I did try searching for a bug list….

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

thanks, didn’t really need the sarcastic comment though did it, was just relaying the facts.

Likewise I did not need yours asking me if I did read your post after I gave you a fact.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Ee’s not worf it Darren! er, Mike.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Oooh DezB you’ve posted. You little monkey you.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber
    sirromj

Here, I’m a bit tired tonight, STW is so bright, can we have a dark lights-out theme please?

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

Only just spotted the notifications stuff, with an alert at the top telling me I have notifications.

Doesn’t work.

They’re all new replies to the Bike Forum by someone, click and just takes me to the bike forum list.

whitestone

I think it’s when someone clicks the “reply” link at the bottom of your post rather than replying to the thread. If so then you should get a notification with this post.

When you look at the notification I believe clicking on it should take you to the reply but it didn’t work for me when I tried it earlier this morning.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Yeah I noticed that.

Whilst I can see the benefit for MI reporting, I really don’t care who responds to a thread.

Also, are the notifications recording single entires per thread that the user has created?

Or

recording the entries per forum since the users last entry?

I see no real benefit of knowing either..

Looks pretty, but ultimately pretty pointless addition.

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

I’m always interested to see a thread I’ve replied to has had updates, so I can read the further replies. Else I forget which ones I replied to or have to search for it. If the notification at least took me to the thread, that’s fine. All these currently do is say someone replied to something, which isn’t useful at all.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I guess they are implimenting something, which isn’t quite working as yet. To be honest, it doesn’t look like it’ll ever be much cop, but I’m willing to give it a go once it’s sorted 😆

The search still doesn’t work. I searched for this thread (top result in Google), but here I got:

Good eh?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Well either lots of people hit reply to without knowing what they were doing and adding no context to the thread or it’s just happening. I guess this means the old one what worked is not coming back

thepodge

My reply seems to have been deleted and then I was kicked out of the forum, had to log back in.

whitestone

As previously there are two ways to reply on a thread: using the reply “button” (next to the report “button”) to reply to that post which I’m assuming triggers the notification, and replying to the thread by typing directly into the edit box at the foot of the page.

Usually something like this allows the forum code to insert text along the lines of:

In reply to < link to post> by < user name>

which gets round the “I wasn’t replying to you” confusion.

Obviously that bit isn’t implemented yet. Have a look at the UKClimbing forums for examples of this.

thepodge

A bit like a quote button.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Would it be pertinent to mention a few of the forum issues and ask if there’s likely to be a fix. Seeing as they’ve been known about for a while now.

The copy and pasting issues – code garbage and there being a limited space for right-clicking in the text box

Navigating to end of a thread – sometimes clicking on “and was last updated 2 months ago by” works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Just wondering like.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

no, be quiet….

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

you’ve wakened the monster

runs

It will only slumber again after the sacrificial banning of a virgin with a beard

virgin with a beard

Core demographic of this place, isn’t it?

It will only slumber again after the sacrificial banning of a virgin with a beard

The wickerman is under construction at STW towers as we speak. It’ll be ready when it’s ready.

PS

Is the Swiftkey issue still on the ‘to do’ list (I know how low down the list it was), or has the list been chucked away now?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

On that subject, is it still an issue?

I resorted to installing SwiftKey when Swype stopped working a little while ago.  I found it to be flaky as shit, not just on STW but on a few other sites too (notably Facebook).  I had to temporarily switch back to Gboard on those sites, it was unusable.  Then there was an update a few months back and it all just started working, it’s been fine on STW and elsewhere ever since.

Are you using the latest version?  I’ve got 7.1.4.19 here.

I’ll check, but still an issue for me on this site and no others. Loathe to chuck it because it is very good at predicting the bollox that I tend to text on a regular basis.

Hmmm. 6.7.5.31, but showing no inclination or option to update on my phone. Will see if I can hunt down an update.

Let’s see how it goes after updating . Ah, this is much betterer! Cheers!

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

I found it to be flaky as shit, not just on STW but on a few other sites too

Ah, I thought it was just me being unable to use it. I’m on 7.1.5 something as well. Woukd love to find a better option (it took 3 attempts to get option there )

chvck

I get the odd issue trying to correct words with gboard, sometimes it’ll just mash the already typed word and the suggestion together. I think it’s probably something to do with the text box not actually being a textarea and confusing it.

regenesis

So now we have the huge pop up asking about cookies/”we value your privacy” bollocks.

On every single page!

regenesis

Although it stops when you load a certain extension that shall not be spoken off…

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

Although it stops when you load a certain extension that shall not be spoken off…

Oh, I think we have the sacrifice. Do you have a beard?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

So now we have the huge pop up asking about cookies/”we value your privacy” bollocks

Bless.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Bless

Yeah it’s almost by divine intervention all the crap has been fixed.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Mod works in mysterious ways.

regenesis

“Bless”?

Really Drac?

How about sending back constructive criticism to the owners who obviously DGAF about anything that doesn’t line their pockets unlike all the ads that have made this place almost unusable instead of being a sarcastic……

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Really Drac?

At least it was a response.

Doesn’t say he’s a moderator next to his name, so maybe he was just being an everyday patronising berk like the rest of us.

Or maybe he was just treating customers with the usual good will we all know and love.

CountZero

virgin with a beard

Core demographic of this place, isn’t it?

Is that a saucer of milk to go, sir?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

How about sending back constructive criticism to the owners who obviously DGAF about anything that doesn’t line their pockets unlike all the ads that have made this place almost unusable instead of being a sarcastic……

Sorry I forgot mods aren’t allowed to make jokes.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Sorrrry, I need to bump this. Or do I need to email “Tech” ??

I opened a thread and the side bar jumped over to the left and was like a static menu. That’s not right. Couldn’t see the posts properly – here’s a screenshot

(Chrome on Win7 PC)

[Mod] now fixed.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Nice one, thanks 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 4,441 through 4,479 (of 4,479 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.