• This topic has 4,478 replies, 425 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,361 through 4,400 (of 4,479 total)
  • Forum Update
  • km79
    Free Member

I notice that I am getting redirected to the subscribe page every now and then instead of the thread link I clicked on. Poor form and smacks of desperation.

scotroutes

👍

slackalice
    Free Member

Thank you @cougar for emoji/emoticon info, except I’m all about the Apple! Any similar keyboard shortcuts for Mac that you are aware of please?

Drac

Command – Control – Spacebar

Cougar

Try ⌘-control-space maybe?

Cougar

Jinx.

Cougar

Oh, and, the emoticon shortcuts should be platform-agnostic anyway.  So colon-hyphen-closedbracket should give you 🙂 regardless of what device you’re using.

martinhutch

Seems very slow to apply the style sheet (correct fonts etc) during pretty much every page load, so you’re left with the default stuff for a moment or two before it catches up. Not a massive problem, obviously, but it’s the only site of this type where I’m aware of this kind of thing, and I guess you’d like to know about it as it looks a bit naff.

Chrome latest build etc.

fisha
    Free Member

I’ve tried to search, but why is the forum threads list page such a small font, then when you click into a thread, the topic content is notably larger ?    I know that you can increase/decrease the zoom simply … but shouldn’t need to do that going between each clicked link.    I just dont understand why?

Also I’m seeing the delay in the style sheet applying.   Its almost like its having to re-download the font every page.

DezB
    Free Member

I just dont understand why?

Google Analytics I think was the excuse  reason…

DezB
    Free Member

Why do we still get shitty codes appearing? It’s been aaages now!

franksinatra

Why do I still have to log in pretty much every time I visit the forum?

DavidB
    Free Member

Same, on all devices as well.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Why are the posts not as funny as they used to be?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It seems like the entire of STW staff have returned from Ft William and are trying to upload a few TB of vids and pics to the servers at the moment, long waits, slow loads and the 2 time out errors coming up or did somebody forget the feed the hamsters before the Team away day?

AlexSimon

Dear forum techies. Can we make links in posts a bit more obvious please.

Either an classic underline, or a brighter colour.

At the moment they are really easy to miss.

Ta!

scotroutes

Anyone else experiencing slow performance this last couple of days? Seems to be intermittent.

DezB
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>AlexSimon : Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Dear forum techies. Can we make links in posts a bit more obvious please.

Either an classic underline, or a brighter colour.

</div>
    I agree! And JUST FOR FUN I’ve copied and pasted from his post… canyouguesswhy??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Other “features” that seem to have appeared –

Chrome Moto/Latest versions the Burger Button toolbar on the side seems to be variable in it’s precision, it’s as if the sections for each of the buttons are overlapping. Keep getting reviews while pressing for forum

tjagain

That happens to me as well mike.  along with the fact there is no feedback to say you have hit a link it makes browsing very frustrating

Cougar

I agree! And JUST FOR FUN I’ve copied and pasted from his post… canyouguesswhy??

Because no-one’s mentioned formatting issues for at least eight seconds?

Other “features” that seem to have appeared –

When roughly did that start happening?  Which browser(s)?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chrome on a moto (as stated) about a week

Any idea which android devices they are testing on at stw towers?

I think people keep posting it as. They are shocked how an off the shelf package like this still doesn’t work.

tjagain

Ever since the “upgrade” for me on my android phone using chrome.  Seems to have been worse tho for around a week / ten days?

DezB
    Free Member

Because no-one’s mentioned formatting issues for at least eight seconds?

No, because its been like it for weeks without any sign of a fix.

DezB
    Free Member

So, any chance of an update (he shouted into the wind). ?

Is this how it’s going to be, or is stuff still being worked on/going to be worked on?

Thanks,

Yours,

Interested Subscriber.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m getting very slow loading and plenty of “spinning wheels of death” whilst the forum loads. Then it stalls, then it partially loads then I get the “this website is using significant energy, closing it may help” message…

I assume it’s all the “accept privacy” requests from users..

MacAir, always upto date.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Embedded videos (YouTube, I think) not opening on tablet.

Samsung, Chrome, fully up to date.

Mark

No, because its been like it for weeks without any sign of a fix.

It’s not at the top of the list and won’t be for some time.

Mark

Site slowness right now is because we’ve turned off page caching temporarily. This was because it conflicted with the GDPR system. Tech are working on a new page caching system that will work with our GDPR plugin. That’s the priority right now.

whitestone
    Free Member

Mark, could you update the “Our Forum” thread with a list of bugs/problems that are being worked on or in the immediate pipeline please? At least then folk have an idea of whether to raise something or not.

The editor behaves in a weird way: bold and italic are fine but <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>underline</span>? Looks OK when I add it but I’ve seen HTML in the resulting post.

DezB
    Free Member

@whitestone – this was in response to my question about the formatting codes “It’s not at the top of the list and won’t be for some time.”

At least it’s on the “list” I suppose.

whitestone
    Free Member

@DezB – sort of figured that 🙂 The editor is a standard WordPress plugin so a bit odd that it has this very obvious bug. The mass of div and span tags usually get generated when someone copies the username and status when quoting a post, if you just copy and paste the post then it doesn’t happen. It might still happen if you copy and paste from elsewhere. Test copy from the BBC:

The 2026 tournament will be the biggest World Cup ever held – with 48 teams playing 80 matches over 34 days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If the text has any formatting in it it screws up

The editor is a standard WordPress plugin so a bit odd that it has this very obvious bug.

Yep, kind of concerning after the mess of code lines about the previous version really.

My other question is how much testing is being done on Android platforms there?

(apart from the obvious whats on the list)

Cougar

Mark, could you update the “Our Forum” thread with a list of bugs/problems that are being worked on or in the immediate pipeline please? At least then folk have an idea of whether to raise something or not.

I would assume that the list of forum bugs currently being worked on right now is “none at all.”

Mark’s just said that their current priority is GDPR compliance and site performance, so that’s what’s taking up their time at the moment.  Which makes sense to me – given the choice between “avoiding a potentially business-ending fine from ICO” and “making underline work” it would be somewhat daft to prioritise the latter.

It’s always worth raising new issues.  If it’s something that’s been present for a while then it’s probably safe to assume that it’s been mentioned elsewhere on this thread (or one of multiple others) previously.

As for the “list,” there is a list yes.  I drew one up a little while back based on feedback here and on my own observations.  No doubt others have too.  What the priority will be within this list when Tech have time to look at bugfixes and feature requests, I couldn’t say.

whitestone
    Free Member

@Cougar – agreed*, it’s how I’d prioritise things, but a simple “We are working on X but know about Y & Z” might at least head off the toys out of the pram style “why can’t I do X that didn’t work on the old forum?” questions. I suppose having the bugs re-raised gives an indication of what problems are most prevalent in actual usage and helps prioritise them when the tech guys (gals?) get round to them.

The turning off the cache is a case in point: why let everyone moan about it? A simple sticky thread “Forum will run slowly” or similar as the title along with the explanation given above would have been far better.

* I wasn’t meaning just forum UI bugs BTW even though it looked like it. Got to build the walls before you can paint them 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Nice that my dead simple question has been answered in a round about way. Cheers.

If it’s something that’s been present for a while then it’s probably safe to assume that it’s been mentioned elsewhere on this thread (or one of multiple others) previously.

That’s as maybe, but that doesn’t mean there’s actually been a “Yes, we’re aware of that and will fix it in time” response. Because usually there hasn’t.

scotroutes

What is the actual objection to having a “known bugs” list at the top of this thread? Other than “it’s too **** embarrassing”, obvs.

Can I add the one about the Bold button causing text to be repeated – or is that one on the secret list already?

Cougar

If the text has any formatting in it it screws up

There’s a “clear formatting” button which may help?

My other question is how much testing is being done on Android platforms there?

Dunno, but I’d imagine that Android testing is going to be a challenge simply because of the sheer number of different hardware and software permutations out there.

but that doesn’t mean there’s actually been a “Yes, we’re aware of that and will fix it in time” response. Because usually there hasn’t.

They’re aware of it and will fix it in time.

Can I add the one about the Bold button causing text to be repeated

That’s news to me.  What platform?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There’s a “clear formatting” button which may help?

It gets rid of some but not all

Dunno, but I’d imagine that Android testing is going to be a challenge simply because

Many other people manage fairly well…given the bugs getting through on a raw android/chrome setup it seems like very very litle

They’re aware of it and will fix it in time.

Ah making a list is on the list and updating people is on the list that will be on the list 😉

What is the actual objection to having a “known bugs” list at the top of this thread? Other than “it’s too **** embarrassing”, obvs.

LOL 🙂

Drac

Other than “it’s too **** embarrassing”, obvs.

If that were the case then we’d have close this thread but it isn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,361 through 4,400 (of 4,479 total)

The topic ‘Forum Update’ is closed to new replies.