Home Forums Chat Forum Formula 1 2024 – WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 2,875 total)
  • Formula 1 2024 – WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS
    chrismac

I agree. I would still want bumpers if I was lando. Verstappen causing an incident leaving him out of the point even if it results in no points for max would be a win for him.

thepurist

Edit – Doh didn’t realise race had started! I’ll now be avoiding this thread until after the C4 highlights

ads678

I’m not as up on tactics as some on here, but seemed to me like McLaren missed a trick not pitting Piastri earlier to give a chance of going for MV and second place?

Very annoying Danny Ric at the end as well!?

Chew
    Free Member

Lando delivered, but was lucky not to crash on several occasions.

McLaren were keeping Oscar out as long as possible, to cover off the safety car risk.
    (if there had been one Oscar would have pitted and exited ahead of Max, and could have backed him up at the restart to help out Lando)
    I’m sure they worked out, that without a SC Max was out of range. 3rd was the best he could achieve under normal racing, so it was worth the gamble.

shermer75
    Free Member

I don’t think Audi or Haas are interested in Colapinto, unfortunately, however Audi might change their mind of he keeps this up. That said, is he keeps outperforming Albon then I’d be feeling a bit twitchy if I was him!

Daffy

Possibly Danny Riciardo’s last F1 race – if you were given the chance to have your last lap be an all out effort for the fastest lap – I think you’d take it too.

slowoldman

I’ve never stopped watching F1 even when it’s got a bit dull but I’m more excited about it now than I have been for years.

jamesoz

I’ve never stopped watching F1 even when it’s got a bit dull but I’m more excited about it now than I have been for years

Yep 2016 and 2021 are probably the most recent ones.

Slightly gutted my cheap sky deal ended. I’m actually finding myself looking forwards to the highlights, which hasn’t happened for ages.

As much as I want the close championship, I do think watching the onboard today, looking down the nose of Landos car, the front wing flex is looking very suspect.

Bez

McLaren really need to keep that livery…

Great drive from Colapinto again.

Have to say it leaves a bad taste in the mouth when Red Bull have the luxury of a second team running way out of the points so they can deploy a car for free to take a point away from their competition. (I mean, I don’t blame them for doing it—I just think owning two teams, or any on-track collaboration between teams, shouldn’t be allowed.)

vlad_the_invader

I thought the extra point for fastest lap was restricted to top ten finishers only. I guess that’s another rule change I missed…

thols2

I thought the extra point for fastest lap was restricted to top ten finishers only. I guess that’s another rule change I missed…

It is. If someone outside the top ten scores fastest lap, no points are awarded for fastest lap. Ricciardo prevented Norris from scoring one point, he didn’t score any points for himself.

thepurist

At the end of the season that fastest lap point is only significant if Lando misses out by 8 points – that’s the 7 that he gave back to Piastri and this potential parting gift from Danny Ric.

Sad to see the Honey Badger looking so broken up at the end of the race – hope he goes on to find success in some other series, and I think he might make a decent pundit too. 

Kryton57

aw, Daddy says I’m not allowed to swear, I’m LEAVING wah sulk wah ? (streaming eyes emoji)

tomhoward

At the end of the season that fastest lap point is only significant if Lando misses out by 8 points – that’s the 7 that he gave back to Piastri and this potential parting gift from Danny Ric.

theres another 3 points from where they didn’t swap the drivers in monza too.

nickc

aw, Daddy says I’m not allowed to swear, I’m LEAVING wah sulk wah ?

Honestly, I thought that was pretty much the best response to the FIA trying to slap his wrist.

thepurist

Honestly, I thought that was pretty much the best response to the FIA trying to slap his wrist.

I’d love to see a show of solidarity from all the drivers & team principals where they all swear at the start of every response in an FIA press conference.

jimster01

aw, Daddy says I’m not allowed to swear, I’m LEAVING wah sulk wah ? (streaming eyes emoji)

Does anyone know what he said in the first place for the FIA to get so upset?

tomhoward

That his car was Ducked. Or words to that effect.

Bin Sulayem says he wants motorsport to hold itself to a higher standard than rappers. Which says a lot more about him than it does about Max.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Does anyone know what he said in the first place for the FIA to get so upset?

IO think he said ***** ** **** **** **********!

Bez

At the end of the season that fastest lap point is only significant if Lando misses out by 8 points

If he’s 8 points adrift then it makes no difference at all, but I’d say it’s pretty significant if they’re tied on points and Max has more wins, or Lando is one point behind with more wins…

poly
    Free Member

I thought it was petty, immature and contemptible.  He is earning millions living a very comfortable lifestyle because of the TV coverage his chosen branch of motorsport gets.  Don’t screw up the press conference by swearing.  Don’t give one word answers to the questions when the FIA tell you off.  He is trying to make out that’s it’s ok in other sports – I can’t think of many where swearing in the press conference would be normal.  He wasn’t sanctioned for his team radio in immediate response to an incident – he was swearing about his car/team.  Even without the FIA sanctioning him I’d expect Horner to have been having a strong word about how a team works.  However he’s clearly pissed off and that means the FIA have found a sanction that works!  A fine would have been trivial to him.

multi21
    Free Member

Quite funny when Colapinto sent it down the inside of both of next year’s Williams drivers 🙂

For anyone else who missed the actual move it’s 0:45 in this:

https://dubz.co/c/0230ce

scotroutes

Hamilton said he hoped Max would ignore the punishment and certainly wouldn’t do it if it was him. I reckon the drivers are pretty much behind Verstappen on this.

nickc

Don’t screw up the press conference by swearing.

Did he screw-up the presser? I thought it was refreshingly non-corporate TBH. I’d rather drivers express themselves honestly than have them be bland and make the sorts of non-comment that you see in other sports. I don’t mind the FIA having a word and saying “Can you all mind your P’s & Q’s please”, but to try to impose a sanction is really treating them like children.

poly
    Free Member

Hamilton said he hoped Max would ignore the punishment and certainly wouldn’t do it if it was him. I reckon the drivers are pretty much behind Verstappen on this.

Because they are all spoiled children!  I suspect they don’t like the idea that the FIA might have found a punishment that actually hurts them rather than a fine and the overreaction from the drivers will just tell the FIA they’ve found a way to control them.  Who’d have thought that being told to do something “useful” with your time would be such a punishment.  I noticed last night he was ranting that he already does useful stuff for the sport including having spent HALF AN HOUR with some junior stewards earlier this year to support their training!

Did he screw-up the presser? I thought it was refreshingly non-corporate TBH.

Its a live press conference broadcast on media around the world, including in many nations who are much more prudish than we are in the UK about swearing.  The business reality of F1 is that those are particular growth markets for them.  if you don’t want to be in “business” of F1 then don’t drive an F1 car.  You can’t complain your sport is too corporate when that’s exactly why you make millions.

I’d rather drivers express themselves honestly than have them be bland and make the sorts of non-comment that you see in other sports.

But you don’t need to say the car is “F****D” to say that there’s a problem with it.  Indeed it actually adds no insight to the problem.  Is it handling, acceleration, breaking, etc.  I get why he’s not happy, when he had a great car he was winning, nor he’s having to fight to be on the podium.  A more mature response could have got that across without swearing, but if I was Horner I’d not be happy even if he’d said “the car just isn’t right” – a bit of press training would teach him that you don’t throw your team under the bus like that, especially when they are the ones tightening the bolts on your 200mph plastic box.  The corporate response would have been something like “some of the changes we’ve made to the car this season haven’t brought us the improvements we hoped they would, the guys are working really hard to try and catch up, but that is F1 – we only see how successful they’ve been once the lights go green.  I know we will take the data from the weekend and use it to make more improvements for the next race.  Its not ideal for me, but it certainly makes it more interesting for the spectators.”   There’s loads of opportunity outside the press conference for him to show his personality.

I don’t mind the FIA having a word and saying “Can you all mind your P’s & Q’s please”,

The FIA ruling strongly suggests that all drivers have previously been warned: “But, as this topic has been raised before and is well known by the competitors, the Stewards determined to order a greater penalty than previously”

but to try to impose a sanction is really treating them like children.

Because they behave like spoilt children!  Its not surprising F1 drivers behave like kids – they live in a weird bubble like premiership footballers etc, but sometimes kids need told to behave and they need some form of sanction that makes them try to avoid doing it again.  Other kids watching need to see that sometimes being a smart arse isn’t actually that smart.

poly
    Free Member

Oh but I should maybe add – Redbull (the sponsors) might have loved it, because appealing to stroppy petulant teenagers is presumably their target demographic?

the-muffin-man

Because they behave like spoilt children! 

Do they – really!?

They may have big egos and be a bit stroppy sometimes, but compared to many sports F1 drivers live pretty clean lives.

When did you last see photos of an F1 driver falling out of a nightclub at 4am?

tomhoward

Probably best to add a ‘No Kimi’ clause to that ?

ads678

Anyone who has walked around a supermarket in France thats playing the uncensored version of US and British music will know that they don’t see the F word in the same way we do over on the continent.

Now I know that most of the F1 drivers are very international and should understand what words they are using but I’m not sure it really warrants all of this.

Daffy

Norris – Amsterdam in May.

Bez

Anyone who has walked around a supermarket in France thats playing the uncensored version of US and British music will know that they don’t see the F word in the same way we do over on the continent.

Well, that’s probably largely because they speak French and those who do speak English probably aren’t paying enough attention to it. I suspect they’d be less likely to play the uncensored versions of native pothymouthing.

I suspect if Gasly started describing his Alpine as “niqué” or as a “boîte de merde” you’d get a lot of raised eyebrows across the channel.

mesh

It’s an interesting contrast with F1 (via Netflix) using Guenther Steiner’s constant barrage of f-bombs as a marketing tool to raise the profile of the sport though…

nickc

Because they are all spoiled children!

I think judging the character of any sports people let alone F1 drivers on the two or so hours of intense media scrutiny, that they’re required to do under their contracts, the pressure to perform, and physical toll that the average GP weekend involves based on one driver saying the word “****” is probably not a good idea.

ads678

tomhoward

It’s an interesting contrast with F1 (via Netflix) using Guenther Steiner’s constant barrage of f-bombs as a marketing tool to raise the profile of the sport though…

…way more than F1 has ever managed on its own.

Chew
    Free Member

I reckon the drivers are pretty much behind Verstappen on this

If you watch the post race FIA press conference Lando backed Max and gave very limited answers as well.

If you’re Dutch the F-bomb is just another word. If you’re not a native English speaker these things will happen (see Yuki’s outburst)

If F1 want the drivers to be personalities then these things are going to happen and a fine would be acceptable.
    Otherwise you just go back to the 2000’s where Kimi would say 3 words across a whole press conference….

scotroutes

If you’re Dutch the F-bomb is just another word.

Dutch? I’d say anywhere north of Carlisle 😉

nickc

If you’re Dutch the F-bomb is just another word.

Honestly, think most people use it to signify that the next word in the sentence is going to be a noun.

onehundredthidiot

If you’re Dutch the F-bomb is just another word

That’s as maybe but he’s been media trained to within an inch of his life. He knows what is expected he just doesn’t want to. Definitely spitting the dummy. Why is he getting back up tacitly as it may be? Well how do you think he’d treat you if it were you between him and the wall exiting a corner?

andrewh
    Free Member

Up and off are both prepositions

Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 2,875 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.