Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,496 total)
  • Formula 1 2024 – WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS
  • shermer75
    Free Member

So what are we expecting? More Max world domination? Some closer racing this time, maybe? Personally, I can’t see Red Bull and Max Verstappen dropping back too much, but we’ll see!

shermer75
    Free Member

Soo, F1 2024 bingo, I’ll start:
    1. Snarky comments between Ocon and Gasly over team radio
    2. Albon puts in a surprisingly good performance
    3. Fred Vasseur makes me laugh in a pre or post race interview
    4. Leclerc does something surprisingly nice for a racing car driver
    5. Max sounds like he’s not even broken a sweat over team radio as he crosses the line to win yet another race

argee

Big manufacturers underwhelming at the start of the season, after talking about how they’ll challenge RB this year.

The same manufacturers complaining that whatever RB do is unfair and spend months trying to do the same with much failure.

More bland tracks with bland races.

shermer75
    Free Member

Big manufacturers underwhelming

The one that comes to my mind here is Renault, I can’t help feeling that they’re close to pulling out of F1 again

nickfrog
    Free Member

Looking forward to C4 highlights and not having to listen to that Crofty guy. I cancelled my Sky Sports thing today, which I wanted to do for years but wife and daughter didn’t agree. They now do and even them accept that it’s become a bit shit and not worth paying anything for it any longer.

shermer75
    Free Member

I cancelled my Sky Sports thing today

It is incredibly expensive for what you get. I’m lucky enough to get it as a freeby, but if I didn’t I’d def be watching Channel 4 instead

the-muffin-man

#threadtitlefail

Needs will contain spoilers in thread title!! 🤣

the-muffin-man

I only watch on Sky as I use my dad’s account to watch on SkyGo.

lister

I never contribute to these threads but it pains me to see the new one without a <spoilers> warning in the title.
    Can the mods edit it?

the-muffin-man

Isn’t 2024 the year Karen says their harsh aero time fine/punishment will really kick in and they’ll lose 0.0001 seconds per lap. 🤬🤬

Twodogs

Yeah i can’t see the others catching up much. I don’t think Hamilton will ever get another driver’s championship and we have to look forward to Max domination for at least another 2 years.

I must admit, I’ve not really watched the highlights of many races this year. I still read about F1 but the actual races have become somewhat predictable.

tomhoward

Isn’t 2024 the year Karen says their harsh aero time fine/punishment will really kick in

second half of 2023, worryingly. They got around it by being so fast they didn’t need to develop the car from about August…

rOcKeTdOg

Hamz to RB in 2025 just as Merc regain dominance. toto becomes Dorothy’s dog once more and Ted Kravitz becomes  chief steward 

nickfrog
    Free Member

It is incredibly expensive for what you get. I’m lucky enough to get it as a freeby, but if I didn’t I’d def be watching Channel 4 instead

Sure but across 2 households it’s OK and would have been acceptable value if F1 was more interesting. I have no issues with Max’s dominance but I have an issue with the Corporate vibe that has become a bit cringe and not always that easy to avoid. I also have an issue with the amount of resources dedicated to limit the impact of aero in relation to the results. Although I guess a lot of it is because / thanks to Newey’s genius and / or Mercedes’ catastrophic aero choice with the podless solution which they stil haven’t recovered from andis causing them to start 2 years behind next year.

thepurist

I still read about F1 but the actual races have become somewhat predictabl

Away from the max show this year has been great – early form from Aston, occasional glimpses of what Ferrari could be if they only stopped getting in their own way, merc slowly become competitive and then losing it, mclaren showing merc how you come back from having a bad start to the year, Albon putting the Williams where it has no right to be, Liam Lawson playing an awesome cameo and making perez look even more on a shoogly peg… Plenty happening of you look away from the top step.

Anyhow 2024 – hopefully Andretti will be decided long before the season starts, and the audi rumours go away. Someone other than red bull will look fabulous in testing, and the field will be closer but still not close enough to max.

the-muffin-man

Thanks Mods!! 😀😀👍👍

shermer75
    Free Member

toto becomes Dorothy’s dog once more

I don’t get the reference! What is it?

simondbarnes

😲

ads678

I just hope someone challenges the red bull. 

thepurist

Perhaps Merc have moved their US office – I don’t think they’re in Kansas anymore.

rOcKeTdOg

Just a click of the heels and HM wins the 21 championship

scruffywelder
    Free Member

I suspect the overall result at the end of the season will be closer but Verstappen will probably get another title without loosing too much sweat. I doubt if RB will have another year where they can stop upgrading mid season to concentrate on the 2025 car though. I think the chasing pack will be too close for that.

thols2

As much as I enjoy the thought of Horner having to stump up millions, this is pretty ridiculous. Why are they charged fees at all?

tomhoward

I read somewhere Max’s super license renewal will be north of $1million too, as a result of all his winning.

nickc

Verstappen will probably get another title without loosing too much sweat. 

I don’t think he will TBH. Firstly; it depends who his team mates is, If it’s Perez again, then yep, no threat, but if it’s a Norris or similar, then it may not be as straight forward. Secondly Obviously the teams like Mercedes and Ferrari will be closer still, and maybe even McLaren and Aston Martin may be fast as well and Thirdly; if that’s the case, Verstappen will have to fight, and so far every time that happens he gets frustrated and makes errors, To be fair we didn’t see much of that behaviour this year, but then he mostly pranced off into the distance never to be seen again, but with other teams more or less as good, he’ll just start to drive into people again, or force them off the track. 2024 could be a good season. 

multi21
    Free Member

thols2

As much as I enjoy the thought of Horner having to stump up millions, this is pretty ridiculous. Why are they charged fees at all?

I don’t know but can you imagine how big the fee would be if they’d had two drivers?!

nickc

Why are they charged fees at all?

I think it was agreed ages ago as a way of getting money the the FIA and from them to fund lower series. 

stumpy01

The closest team I can see to really challenging Red Bull next year is McLaren. They turned an absolute dog of a car around into something regularly on, or very near the podium.
    They seem to have a grasp of what was wrong with the car, how to fix it and all the talk of releasing something a lot more competitive has actually been realised.

Mercedes have improved, but still don’t seem to understand the car & it’s performance envelope. It is not clear to me that they will get on top of it for next year. I’m hoping they do.

Ferrari have a competitive car, but I almost can’t take them seriously. Yesterday for example….Sainz asking what the strategy is, as he’s a bit lost and the reply is……..erm, we are hoping for a safety car. OK, then.
    They also don’t seem to have got on top of the high tyre wear.

Aston. Performed well, but I don’t think they are quite there yet.

And with the closer ties between Alpha Tauri & Red Bull that was announced earlier in the year, who knows what that will throw up. A couple of mini-Red Bulls getting in between proper Red Bulls and all the other challengers. A useful asset for Red Bull, for sure.

nickc

It is not clear to me that they will get on top of it for next year

I think the W13/14 car is done isn’t it? the W15 is a brand new design. That will look pretty much like the RB I’d have thought.

Yesterday for example….Sainz asking what the strategy is,

Don’t crash in qualifying? I know what you mean ’bout Ferrari’s race strategies, but Sainz didn’t really help himself 

stumpy01

nickc

I think the W13/14 car is done isn’t it? the W15 is a brand new design. That will look pretty much like the RB I’d have thought.

But, they don’t seem to have got on top of this car. Some weekends it’s almost there, other weekends it’s miles away. And even when it’s good, it’s still a country mile from Max & the Red Bull.
    I am not convinced that they understand the physics around the new aero requirements to create a Championship winning car. They made some hefty upgrades this year, but they only really edged forwards, whereas McLaren made an almighty leap once they realised what they needed to do.

I really hope they pull something quick out of the bag, but I just anticipate the first tests being more of an ‘oh, bugger’ style response, that ‘yes, we nailed it’. Hopefully I’ll be wrong!

thols2

The closest team I can see to really challenging Red Bull next year is McLaren. They turned an absolute dog of a car around into something regularly on, or very near the podium.
    They seem to have a grasp of what was wrong with the car, how to fix it and all the talk of releasing something a lot more competitive has actually been realised.

Mercedes have improved, but still don’t seem to understand the car & it’s performance envelope. It is not clear to me that they will get on top of it for next year. I’m hoping they do.

Ferrari have a competitive car, but I almost can’t take them seriously. Yesterday for example….Sainz asking what the strategy is, as he’s a bit lost and the reply is……..erm, we are hoping for a safety car. OK, then.
    They also don’t seem to have got on top of the high tyre wear.

I think the Merc was limited by some fundamental decisions made when they went down the zero sidepod route. That limited how much they could change to adopt the Red Bull concept. Next year’s car will be a fresh start so it would be a surprise if it wasn’t a huge improvement. That doesn’t mean they will leapfrog Red Bull, just that the struggle to get this year’s car to work tells us very little about next year’s car.

The Ferrari was very fast over one lap, it was able to warm up its tyres easily so it did well in qualifying. However, that also made it very hard on tyres so its race pace was often a long way off.

I expect Red Bull will start next year with the best car, but other teams will be closer. It’s impossible to predict which team will be their nearest challenger, I suspect it will like this year, with different cars being stronger at different tracks and some shuffling of the order over the season as some teams do better on upgrades than others. If I had to put money on it, I would be on the same order of constructors as this year.

mav12
    Free Member

It will be closer , but the red Bull will be such a good car and Max is on a different level to the other drivers  cant see  them having much trouble , think leclerc would be the only Driver who may get  close to Max but they would need a better Car than than the Red Bull

Fantastic Season this year and phenominal  achievments from Max  hes earned his place to be up there with senna and Shumacher as one of the Greats

rOcKeTdOg

scotroutes

My prediction is that Max has less of a gap to his rivals but that they all end up fighting over 2nd place in the championship so he wins again with a decent margin. 

Speeder

What’s with the issue over the missing “Spoilers” thing? Are people really that hard of thinking that they wouldn’t know not to look here before they’ve watched a race? I don’t get what purpose it serves or why anyone would get upset that there isn’t a warning.  The thread title doesn’t give away a result, only going to the end of the thread will give you anything up to date. It’s only your own daft fault if you go looking at F1 content in-between the race and your time shifted viewing of it.

the-muffin-man

What’s with the issue over the missing “Spoilers” thing? Are people really that hard of thinking that they wouldn’t know not to look here before they’ve watched a race?

It’s not a reference to spoilers in the normal way.

It’s a reference to wings and aero bits – which back in olden times used to be know as spoilers!

And the F1 thread has always had it, so must have it forever! 🙂

multi21
    Free Member

I predict Red Bull will take the Merc zeropod concept, make it work, and win by an even larger margin than the RB19 did. Just to wee on Toto’s pumpernickel.

Speeder

mav12

Fantastic Season this year and phenomenal  achievements from Max  has earned his place to be up there with Senna and Schumacher as one of the Greats

Long way to go before he reaches that status imho. He’s a great driver for sure but no-one of any worth in the field has a car that can even get close and his team mate is definitely playing a supporting role (at best). Yesterday’s race was won at the first corner on reputation alone. That reputation is that he’s a ****.

Speeder

the-muffin-man
    What’s with the issue over the missing “Spoilers” thing? Are people really that hard of thinking that they wouldn’t know not to look here before they’ve watched a race?
    It’s not a reference to spoilers in the normal way.

It’s a reference to wings and aero bits – which back in olden times used to be know as spoilers!

And the F1 thread has always had it, so must have it forever! 🙂

Oh I see – it’s a joke! I’ll get back in me box. ;o)

scotroutes

@Speeder – Box, box, box!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,496 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.