Home Forums Chat Forum EU Referendum – are you in or out?

Viewing 40 posts - 76,881 through 76,920 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • dudeofdoom

Cornish Pasties are protected by EU law. You can’t make a pasty in Belgium and call it a Cornish Pasty:

Er not until after Friday, once we’re rule takers all they have to do is take it off the protected list.

I’m not expecting this but just saying :-)

willard

Molgrips:

they speak Swedish in Sweden but a similar dialect in Norway and Denmark,

Easy now tiger, that’s fighting talk! Norweigian is close, but Danish is like talking with marbles in your mouth.

I’m not super-clear on the origins of the language up here and how it spread, but the similarities are strong (I can understand Norwegien and Danish kind-of) and there is also usage in the Finland/Swedish border areas in Finland. It’s almost expected though, given the reach that Sweden had in the Baltic region in the 1500s and onwards.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes and this is my point. We’re all cousins or even siblings, including the incredible British.

kelvin

The history of the rulers of the countries of these isles (rather than the people living in it) is written in Latin & French as much as any of the other many languages that have been used here.

Anyway, can we make this a positive thread for the rest of the week?

Possible upsides to Brexit only.

I’ll start…

If we refuse to allow other countries access to our fishing waters, and as a result put large barriers between our fishing industry and the market for their catch…

Perhaps it will be good for fishing stocks, and also perhaps there will a patriotic uprising and many more people within the UK will pay for and eat the quality produce caught of our shores, resulting in a greater appreciation for the natural world all around our isles.

binners

null

kelvin

You’re not trying Binners. Come on, post about a possible upside… give it a try…

kimbers

At least Bozo and his clowns own this farce now

the sh!tshow is on them

(I know theyll obvs blame civil servants, barnier, labour, EU etc etc)

Pigface
    Free Member

Easy now tiger, that’s fighting talk! Norweigian is close, but Danish is like talking with marbles in your mouth.

The other half always said the Danes spoke with a throat full of porridge

epicyclo

kelvin
    Anyway, can we make this a positive thread for the rest of the week?

Possible upsides to Brexit only.

Greatly increased prosperity for the select few.

Blue passports.

Cheap £ so people from 3rd world countries can afford to come here on holiday and wonder why we did this to ourselves.

Re-unification of Ireland, independence for Wales and Scotland, shortly followed by Yorkshire, Cornwall and the City of London.

About the only downside will be the necessity for concentration camps immigrant retention centres for the Unionist British Nationalists from those countries who sadly discover that England only regards them as British if they stay where they belong, and not in England.

Deckchairs finally neatly arranged…

:)

cchris2lou

And the Immigration report is comedy gold too.

Fishing rights, not linking it but the DM reckons they are on the table too.

Brexit is going so well 😂😂

1. EU migrants return to the EU

2. Subsequent lack of health care professionals cause a massive dieback in boomer generation.

3. 1&2 result in housing surplus and subsequent property crash

4. Millennials stop whinging about being unable to get on the property ladder.

What could possibly go wrong?

Cougar

perhaps there will a patriotic uprising and many more people within the UK will pay for and eat the quality produce caught of our shores

Except, we don’t eat much of the type of fish that’s native to our waters. Unless you’re expecting everyone to patriotically start popping round to the chippie for herring and chips.

MoreCashThanDash

To be fair, the implosion of the NHS and resulting death rate also solves the pensions crisis as well.

I’m not saying it’s in the government’s interests to let a few infected people in from China, but it makes you think

kelvin

Except, we don’t eat much of the type of fish that’s native to our waters.

I know. A change away from imported white fish to a wide variety of fish and seafood caught off the shores of Britain could be a positive outcome of Brexit, couldn’t it? When you see the amazing stuff we currently export to other countries, perhaps more people will get to know and consume it here, while we also leave more in the sea due to curtailed export opportunities. Okay, not good for a great many of our current fishermen, but it might improve our national attitude to the fish around the UK.

Anyway, instead of shooting down my attempt at a positive, come up with your own… let’s all look for positives on the run up to Friday.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well – having fewer restrictions on state intervention could be a benefit, couldn’t it? If there were the political will from government of course.

tjagain

There are no benefits of brexit

Pigface
    Free Member

I have been asking for positives since the referendum and still haven’t heard one.

neilthewheel

Positives for Friday:
    All the Brexit/UKIP MEP’s out of a job.
    The EU can get on with business without the deadweight of the British (Englixh actually) dragging it down.
    A strengthening of the EU’s unity as other nation states watch the UK shitshow.
    er…

Cougar

A change away from imported white fish to a wide variety of fish and seafood caught off the shores of Britain could be a positive outcome of Brexit, couldn’t it?

It could, yes, if people were prepared to do it. And I don’t know for sure, but I’d rather think that if there was an ‘appetite’ for doing so we’d be doing it already.

Anyway, instead of shooting down my attempt at a positive, come up with your own… let’s all look for positives on the run up to Friday.

Struggling to think of many. We’ve been asking this question of leavers since 2016 and we’ve not had anything back that isn’t based in fantasy.

I suppose when the exchange rate goes through the floor it’ll be good for the tourism industry. Assuming people feel they’re still welcome to visit here, anyway. Could bring in a bit of foreign money I guess.

epicyclo

kelvin
    …Anyway, instead of shooting down my attempt at a positive, come up with your own… let’s all look for positives on the run up to Friday

To be fair, it’s pretty hard.

It need not have been, but the UK govt has acted like a teenager having a tantrum who runs away from home yelling abuse at the household, slams the door, chucks away the door key, and with no money in his/her pocket hopes that paedo Uncle Donnie will give him/her shelter.

I expected a reasoned and logical approach to the separation, and wasn’t expecting this shit-show of macho posturing by the UK govt. To be fair to Corbyn, I reckon he would have handled it much better.

spekkie
    Free Member

I saw something on Twitter about a “return to a time” when films and TV programmes were being made without having to adhere to crazy EU PC rules regarding people of other colour/race/sexual preference. That could be a plus if you like that sort of thing . . . . which it would seem lots of Brits do.

Re local fish, doesn’t Scotland have loads of Salmon? We’ll all be eating Salmon three times a day. Huzzah!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wait for the economy to tank. Invest in a SIPPs while things are at an all time low. Either things will be okay in 20 years time when I retire and I’ll have a nice little nest egg, or not having a decent pension will be the least of my worries.

thepurist

Except, we don’t eat much of the type of fish that’s native to our waters.

That’s pollocks.

willard

@thepurist

Thank cod we have you to offer such constructive debate.

binners

This plaice is getting worse

Cougar

Stop it, you’ve giving me a haddock.

On brexit benefits: Over in the increasingly misnamed 50p thread, I’ve just posted this.

[Leavers have] been played for fools.

I genuinely hope that sooner or later people will realise that they’ve been manipulated, and that they get really angry about it. [On this thread] they’re asking about brexit positives, there’s one right here. We might see some actual positive change when people stop believing everything they read of the front page of the gutter press and redirect their ire at the people in Westminster who are actually responsible for all their ills.

johnnystorm

At the risk of putting a downer on fishing rights… We might be leaving the EU but we aren’t leaving OSPAR or the UNCLOS and those treaties prevent unilateral changes to access and activities at sea. If we are unable to fish to complete quotas as we don’t have the vessels/manpower then other countries are entitled to take the rest. Countries/parties that have had historical access cannot be adversely affected by changes. Finally the quotas that have been set by the EU are by and large set by scientists in the UK. Leaving the EU doesn’t change the science.

Daffy

Sadly, for a lot of people, it’s not about benefits and drawbacks, it’s not even about the EU it’s about winning. A lot of my family voted for Brexit and I got told in no uncertain terms – “you lot have had it too good for too long” When I asked who “you lot” were? I was told “You! You think you’re better than us with your job and your house, well it’s time you learned and now you will” I was absolutely dumbstruck by this – yes I have a professional job and a niceish house (1970s detached…), but by God have I worked for it. I put myself through night class, I put myself through uni, I worked my ass off in my early career and did my PhD in my own time at my own cost.

I almost said something, but then I thought…they know this, how did I become the bad guy here?

“Taking back control” has NOTHING to do with Europe! Maybe, at the start it did, but now Us and Them are the same people separated by something…class? Hard work? A willingness to move for work? I genuinely don’t know. I knew my hometown was a hole with no prospects, so I worked, saved up and left…was that the difference?

Cougar

Sadly, for a lot of people… it’s about winning.

Yup. I’ve said this several times on here. “We won you lost shut up and get over it.” It’s like it’s a bloody football match.

dazh

“you lot have had it too good for too long” When I asked who “you lot” were? I was told “You! You think you’re better than us with your job and your house, well it’s time you learned and now you will”

Well I have been saying this for a long time. We live in a country where opportunity to do well is now a function of your background, family connections and wealth, and your social network. If you have none of those things then you have little chance of breaking out of the downward spiral. The result is that those who are caught in it will bring as many with them as they can, and brexit is their opportunity to do that. Instead of blaming them and hoping they get poorer (as many on here do), perhaps we should be thinking about how to address the root problems that got us here.

binners

You’re absolutely right, of course, Daz. The irony of it all is that those at the bottom of the heap already, and the most economically disadvantaged areas are the ones that are going to be absolutely clobbered by Brexit.

While those that already have the most will stand to make the most gains

Its the soon-to-be-redundent car plant workers of Sunderland, and the jobs that depend on them, who are going to pay the price for this. I doubt the Hedge Fund Managers of Surrey will be shedding too many tears as they count the millions in their offshore bank accounts.

Brexit is about to turbo-charge inequality in this country.

Whats going to be interesting is what happens when everyone realises how much they’ve been lied too

Actually… I know what’ll happen….

Absolutely nothing. They’ll just moan about it while watching Love Island and probably blame foreigners again, egged on by the tabloid press

kelvin

There may be some truth to that more generally Dazh, but Daffy was talking about family. I’m guessing that they had similar “background, family connections and wealth” when setting off in life.

Anyway, I still like to believe there are some people who want Brexit as they hope that it will bring benefits to all, not just to bring down others. A lot of things I’ve heard in the last few years makes that seem a increasing naive belief though.

stevextc
    Free Member

There is no “Norwegian” it’s either Bokmal or Nynorsk… but the pronunciation of Danish is very special. My Nynorks and Bokmal are both limited but written Danish is mostly intelligible but the minute it’s spoken I know how people learning English must feel.

stevextc
    Free Member

epicyclo

Re-unification of Ireland, independence for Wales and Scotland, shortly followed by Yorkshire, Cornwall and the City of London.

Funnily enough at the bottom of that barrel… the glimmer of silver lining might be a cessation of something that started in 1455 and quite probably something pre-dating even that akin to 9C.
    I can forsee a Lancs/Yorks/Cumbria nation… the old Northumbria
    Cornwall isn’t technically fully England anyway, the relationship was never formalised and
    Wessex and the “not it’s own Kingdom on Kent” … a bit of juggling about in Mercia both ways with London being the same as it was in the DaneLaw owned by non of the Kingdoms as a neutral junction?

Cougar

I can forsee a Lancs/Yorks/Cumbria nation…

I’d wager that’s about as likely as the United Kingdoms of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and Germany. We’ve not forgotten the war on either side of the Pennines.

slowoldman

I know. A change away from imported white fish to a wide variety of fish and seafood caught off the shores of Britain could be a positive outcome of Brexit, couldn’t it?

I can imagine the uproar in chippies. “I want white fish”.

stevextc
    Free Member

Cougar

I’d wager that’s about as likely as the United Kingdoms of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and Germany. We’ve not forgotten the war on either side of the Pennines.

LOL: but in all seriousness I can see when the crap hits the fan, Scotland and NI are already gone and quite probably Wales. Everyone is blaming Westminster (or London whilst conveniently forgetting London voted remain) not how they voted a Northern state could be made into a popular vote winner.

sr0093193
    Free Member

I have been asking for positives since the referendum and still haven’t heard one.

Garage will no longer be collecting 85k a year of our taxes to sit in his house and fist his own anus.

dazh

The irony of it all is that those at the bottom of the heap already, and the most economically disadvantaged areas are the ones that are going to be absolutely clobbered by Brexit.

Well this has been discussed previously also, and the answer is that they believe they don’t have much to lose. They may be wrong, but the fact they believe it is the problem. Poverty is relative, and these people have a quite understandable belief that those who are better off didn’t get there through hard graft and ability.

but Daffy was talking about family. I’m guessing that they had similar “background, family connections and wealth” when setting off in life.

So what are you saying? That daffy took the advantages his family gave him, used them for his own betterment and then failed to give anything back? That could be a metaphor for the whole country.

Viewing 40 posts - 76,881 through 76,920 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.