Home Forums Chat Forum Central heating 3 way valve replacement

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Central heating 3 way valve replacement
  • winston
    Free Member

Heating is coming on with the hot water and there is a clicking sound from the 3 way valve…….

So, is it an easy DIY job to put in a new valve or plumber time?

Its a standard Honeywell unit in the airing cupboard and the system is a bog standard gravity fed gas boiler job

midlifecrashes

You can just replace the electric actuator from the top, providing the valve itself is ok. Easy job then.

winston
    Free Member

How would I know the valve is still OK?

midlifecrashes

Take the top off, move the valve around with a spanner, check the heating does what you expect.

jota180
    Free Member

You can just replace the electric actuator from the top, providing the valve itself is ok. Easy job then.

Older ones don’t have a detachable actuator

northernmatt

Actuator should have a lever one it to move it manually, if you move that and things work the valve is okay.

The head you need is for a V4073A valve. You may need an adaptor plate but only if its a really really old valve body.

winston
    Free Member

cool thanks – I’ll go and have a play!

Valve is from 2001 so reasonably old?

northernmatt

No, the plate is for valves from about 20+ years ago. You’ll be fine.

teef
    Free Member

Heating is coming on with the hot water and there is a clicking sound from the 3 way valve…….

My 3 way valve is always a bit troublesome this time of year but usually sorts itself out after a week or so – it’s just a bit sticky after not being used over the summer. The problem just might resolve itself if you give some time.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Our old system went through about 4 actuators and two valves ( the actuators became obsolete). If it’s a common actuator, and youcan find it cheap it’s probaly worth having a spare.

DT78
    Free Member

I have this issue too. Can anyone post a picture of the valve / spanner twiddling bit before I call out a repair guy?

divenwob
    Free Member

Be careful as they only move around 15 degrees.

martinhutch

Obviously you don’t need to take it off first!

You may not need the whole actuator, just the synchron motor, which saves money, and is easy to replace.

If you go to a plumber’s merchants, get a choice of a genuine honeywell part or a generic copy. The copy will be a lot cheaper, and we’ve had no problems with ours.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Central heating 3 way valve replacement’ is closed to new replies.