Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • Clarkson/Top Gear guilty of offence racial term say OFCOM – [slope reference]
  • brakes
    Free Member

Plus let’s not kid ourselves. This is STW and look at the most of the responses on this thread.

all I’m saying is that there is a certain irony in your sweeping statements, given the subject matter.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Middle Aged Shit For Middle Aged Shit Eaters.

He seems to be a paragon for all those men we know who buy from the **** shop, whinge at smelly Arabs and are persistent and proud with their misogyny. The kind of man who uses the word “poof” to define weakness and see “culture” a threat to Masculinity.

How’s that for vitriol. PISH.

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s quite the….

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I’m more amazed (well, not really) that nobody noticed this when the show went out and that we all had to have it pointed out to us.

That’s how racist it was…..

When did you carry out this poll? I must have missed it.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I for one am offended by the offended

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Please some explain Jamie Jamie’s picture post?

Drac

I guess the team behind Top Gear used the same psychologists.

And your response to Top Gear threads. 😀

Like I’ve said in previous threads I missed the alleged reference just seen the slant that the bridge construction had.

Anyway been done on here before can’t see anyone’s tune changing.

tomhoward

When did you carry out this poll? I must have missed it.

Ofcom did. 2 people were offended enough to complain (most probably on behalf of others). How many million watched the eposode?

Out of interest, is anyone else up for trying to waste some time and money? pick a tv show to complain about then a couple of us (apparently this is all it takes for a full on investigation) write a vitriolic and mortally offended letter, just to see what happens? Masterchef irks me occasionally, when’s that next on? Though iirc that’s already been investigated over the condition of a souffle. Not joking. Really.

Interestingly, I was told I had a racist bike, as it was called a(n Intense) Slopestyle. Oddly they didnt notice the ‘SS’ logos all over it..

GrahamS

Lieutenant-General Alsatian ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Lieutenant-General Alsatian ?

Nailed it.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I for one am offended by the offended

See, the term offended in these cases is used by the JC apologists to mean people are almost fainting with shock.
    They’re not, they’re just standing up and saying being racist isn’t right. That’s all.

Not offended, just not going along with the bigotry “cos it’s all a harmless laugh really”.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Got it. I’m overwhelmed by offence towards your Meme Lite that I don’t understan.

Edit. Like it.

Jamie
    Free Member

General + Alsatian = Generalisation.

IGMC.

Pook

Not called Alsatians any more. Good old German shepherd is back in vogue after all that war misunderstanding.

True story.

As you were.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

German shepherd

Racist, surely the dog is just a Shepherd? 😀

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Wht’s shocking is that Clarkson was deliberately baiting his editors – who in turn baited the BBC, who in turn baited the two offended people, who in turn baited Ofcom, who baited the Graunidad.

Anyone with any common sense or editorial control would have just taken it out.

I’d imagine this is simply Ofcoms and the Guardian’s way of promoting the new series of Top Gear.

Kryton57

There should be an non-complaint system in place, so you can register a non-complaint. If these non-complaints outweigh complaints then the complaint is dropped & the professionally offended should be fined for being idiots.

The best idea to be applied to the stw forum buttons yet….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The Asian world will be mightily relieved to have the might of ofcom by their side. I hope that the extent of our offence on their behalf is some comfort.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why do folk say professionally offended?
    Seems a weak slur used because cannot defend the use of racist language and so you, ironically and tragically , just use insults instead.

Racist language is unacceptable. Why do you think it is ok and why do you think only “professionally” offended object

Do you wander everywhere using racial slurs and telling folk to get it over it or something?

Its a shame the only defence is to attack folk who say he should not be racist in a flagship BBC programme.

Kryton57

Joking aside, I learned whilst flicking through channels that my wife – who is black – now refuses to watch Clarkson.

When I questioned her, her response was “intentionally scripted or not, he chooses to use words which are racially offensive. Any person doing so either himself or repeating on the bequest of others implies they find such obvious racism acceptable, otherwise they wouldn’t voice/ repeat it”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…our offence on their behalf…

Oh, and…(from a professional ranter earlier…)

…professionally offended…

Seriously…really?

These are phrases of the intellectually bereft and as such are used in the manner that FeeFoo pointed out somewhere ^^^up there. i.e. to deliberately belittle the point of view of someone (and most people in these cases) who’s simply saying “look, being a bigot is not ok…ok?” It’s entirely possible to point this out to someone without being “offended” oneself, let alone fainting with shock at the offence felt.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Clarkson annoys me and occasionally makes me laugh. Nothing is_accidental in what he does.
    I do find myself far more offended by the 4 letter abbreviation of Pakistani a few posts up.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

When I questioned her, her response was “intentionally scripted or not, he chooses to use words which are racially offensive. Any person doing so either himself or repeating on the bequest of others implies they find such obvious racism acceptable, otherwise they wouldn’t voice/ repeat it”

That’s all well and good but what’s her profession ?

Does she earn a living being offended ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why is it intellectually bereft to be offended for other people? There must be ten of us now. Is it enough to do one of those petition thingies?

rickk

I’m prepared to believe this was a misjudgement of the level of offensiveness of this particular word by the scriptwriters and it’s already been apologised for – why not leave it there?

Script probably not by Wilman who is producer (tho’ obviously he has responsibility), a lot of scripting is by Richard Porter who has his own site wwww.sniff petrol.com well worth a look IMHO.

Not saying this particular script was down to Porter BTW.

Jamie
    Free Member

Wht’s shocking is that Clarkson was deliberately baiting his editors – who in turn baited the BBC, who in turn baited the two offended people, who in turn baited Ofcom, who baited the Graunidad.

Sounds like quite the circle jerk.

Kryton57

ernie_lynch – Member

Does she earn a living being offended ?

Why belittle the statement- because you aren’t black or Asian or with enough conscience to feel offended by Clarkson?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m prepared to believe this was a misjudgement of the level of offensiveness of this particular word by the scriptwriters and it’s already been apologised for – why not leave it there?

And luckily it isn’t a BBC flagship series. Otherwise I’m sure they would have made the effort to google the word, when they wrote their joke.

rickk

^^^^ as I said ernie IMO a misjudgement which quite possibly included a failure to google the s word. If you want to see it as a deliberate effort to cause offence – your call.

Drac

I hope someone has told these guys.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

because you aren’t black or Asian or with enough conscience to feel offended by Clarkson?

If you want to see it as a deliberate effort to cause offence – your call.

Excellent, I appear to have been accused of being both not offended and offended within 3 posts.

🙂

rickk

^^^ ernie at the risk of getting sucked in here partial quotes are a great way to misrepresent.

You can now add this to your rap sheet.

Pook

We’re rapping about it now?! Who’s doing the beat box?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

rickk – Member

^^^ ernie at the risk of getting sucked in here partial quotes are a great way to misrepresent.

You can now add this to your rap sheet.
    Posted 1 minute ago # Report-Post

My apologies, I didn’t realise that I was misrepresenting you.

Here’s your full quote copied from the previous page :

rickk – Member

^^^^ as I said ernie IMO a misjudgement which quite possibly included a failure to google the s word. If you want to see it as a deliberate effort to cause offence – your call.
    Posted 16 minutes ago # Report-Post

hth

MoreCashThanDash

Every days a school day – never knew the word had a racist connotation until Ofcom pointed it out.

The fact that only two people knew and complained suggests I am not alone in my white, able bodied, middle class, heterosexual bubble.

Not sure if I feel a twinge of guilt for my ignorance, or a twinge of guilt that my ignorance prevents me being outraged.

Jamie
    Free Member

We’re rapping about it now?! Who’s doing the beat box?

On it.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR8qtxts1jY[/video]

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The fact that only two people knew and complained suggests I am not alone in my white, able bodied, middle class, heterosexual bubble.

You’re a member of the last group who can be persecuted without consequence.

MoreCashThanDash

It also worryingly puts me in the same group as Clarkson….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Indeed, as he and his likes like to mention to defend themselves when they’ve been caught out being arseholes.

Rockplough
    Free Member

all I’m saying is that there is a certain irony in your sweeping statements, given the subject matter.

Except not really. You said I ‘presume a lot’. Presuming the country is 90% white isn’t ‘a lot’. Give or take a few percent, it’s a fact. Presuming the vast majority of people are either ignorant of, or not bothered by, racial slurs against East Asians is again, not a massive leap.

I fail to see any irony, unless you think ‘reverse racism’ is a thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Clarkson/Top Gear guilty of offence racial term say OFCOM – [slope reference]’ is closed to new replies.