Home Forums Bike Forum Car bike racks laws in France. Strapped boot/hood mounted rack ok?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Car bike racks laws in France. Strapped boot/hood mounted rack ok?
  • robtaylor
    Free Member

My brother ansd I are travelling from Uk to French Alps and only have a strapped on bike rack that mounts to the boot/hood lid, not the tow bar. I have heard that might be against French laws?!?!? Anyone know if Ill be ok?

antigee
    Free Member

bump not come across that as have a towball rack but would like to know

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Not aware of any law and didn’t even think to check myself, but we have driven all the way to Pau and back with a bike on the back of my hatchback on one of those strap on racks without being stopped or having any problems, I’d have thought it’s an accepted way to transport a bike anywhere really.

hofnar
    Free Member

Not sure about the law. But i do live in southerly france and quite some of my local ride buddies use one from time to time.

tonyg2003

Just driving through France now and the majority of cars with bikes of the back have strap on racks.

discapade
    Free Member

Mate I wouldn’t worry, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the police on the roads

robtaylor
    Free Member

Thank you everyone. You have put my mind at rest. Now for some sick Alps riding!

tonyg2003

I’ve seen plenty of Les Flicks. Although every other car here on the autoroute seems to have a rear bike rack. On to Morzine / Samoens for two weeks! Ace.

rickt
    Free Member

If your going to the expense of a strap on bike rack, once you have your 7 pin electric socket installed for your light board and reg plate, you may as well get a towbar mounted rack.

Don’t forget … Spokes over the light cluster = obscured in the eyes of the law

jambalaya
    Free Member

Plenty of bikes in France on boot racks. A bit off topic but if it were me I’d put the bikes inside the car for the drive down, more secure and less damage potential for the bikes. Then use the rack locally if required.

jambalaya
    Free Member

discapade – Member
    Mate I wouldn’t worry, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the police on the roads

I would be a bit careful with this. There are speed cameras everywhere including on the Peage these days, plus mobile speed traps and police cars. I’ve been stopped recently to check I had my high viz jacket, reg doc and insurance. I’ve even been stopped in a ski resort to check we have been wearing our seatbelts whilst driving around the village. I would say a police roadside check is more common in France than in the UK, admittedly not frequent but not that unusual.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Car bike racks laws in France. Strapped boot/hood mounted rack ok?’ is closed to new replies.