Home Forums Bike Forum Cane Creek VP-A71 replacement 1 1/8th headset recommendations?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Cane Creek VP-A71 replacement 1 1/8th headset recommendations?
  • bricktop84
    Free Member

Taken my fork off to rebuild it, and the headset is past its best.

Rather than just replace the caged bearings, I’d rather put a new headset on while its all apart.

I don’t want to spend a fortune (its for a 2008 Rockhopper Pro with Rockshox Reba SL).

With a budget of about £30, whats a good head set for the money?

I’ve got punches so happy to get the crown race off the fork, but what about re-installation, I don’t have a setting tool so if a split race is avaialble i’d prefer it.

C

bricktop84
    Free Member

Just to clarify, the races all are smooth, not pitted or rough at all.

I was wondering if I could buy a compatible headset and leave the cups in the frame, and the crown race on the fork… That way I’ll get new bearings and a newer design/seals etc without having to buy tools to pull the cups/press the new ones.

The other option is just to buy some caged bearings for this headset, but can only seem to source cheap ones from China on Amazon.

pigyn
    Free Member

Either just walk into any bike shop and get some cages for a few quid, or suck up changing the cups and get a Brand X sealed bearing headset, they are under £20 and use normal bearing sizes so dead easy to change in the future

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek VP-A71 replacement 1 1/8th headset recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.