• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 14,201 through 14,240 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • binners

The more serious things become for an increasing number of people in this country, the more obvious it becomes that this confederacy of dunces are completely devoid of any ideas and haven’t got the first clue how to deal with anything

Even the hardest of thinking must be realising this by now.

We’ve an absentee government

We’ve a summer of chaos in front of us and then the steam train of huge energy price increases coming down the tracks in the autumn, and all they have is reheated Thatcherism, ‘leave everything to The Market’ and their increasingly desperate and petty culture war.

Raab didn’t even sound like he remotely believed the bullshit excuses he was spouting this morning. Just going through the motions

cookeaa

Surely this must be the end?

I don’t think so. VOC gave him a 12 month buffer to do whatever he wants.

Raab kept using the phrase “distractions” this morning, long may things continue this way, another year of Bunga Bunga, human rights erosion (Raab’s pet “bill of rights” project) and levelling down could well cost the Tories the next GE… Kick Borisconi out today and they’d have time to recover…

Nope the time for MPs to disown bozza was a couple of weeks ago. They’ve nailed their colours to his mast now…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’d like to believe we are getting very close to the point where Boris calls an early GE, knowing Tories lose No.10 and then try and throw mud at Labour when the Tory failings under Boris all come home to roost. The unrest especially among the low to middle earners families is just simmering now, it’s going to get very messy before this tax year ends.

The-Beard

I like to think we’re at that point in the Black Knight sketch where he loses an arm only to declare “I’ve had worse!”

Altogether now…

“You liar!”

BillMC

They’ll only call an early election if they believe, like May, that it’ll consolidate their mandate. If Johnson takes that decision against advice he will get the bums rush.

binners

Adam Boulton has just been on Five Live stating the obvious about why Boris is still there.

He said a senior Tory had told him that of the present cabinet there are only 3 people who are up to their cabinet jobs… Gove, Zahawi and Javid, the rest of them are utterly useless and would no way be in a job under anyone else but Johnson. So it’s a desperate co-dependency. I’d argue that those 3 aren’t up to it either. They’re all hopeless

Unlike with Thatcher being deposed, theres nobody of any capability to replace him. They’re political pygmies

jam-bo

gove is still in the cabinet? you couldn’t tell.

dudeofdoom

Ahh but that’s in the current rules of the 1922,as tired mentioned they are a meeting.

Rules can can be changed it’s internal party policies.

dudeofdoom

gove is still in the cabinet? you couldn’t tell.

Smart move to keep your head down, when the numpties are arsing it up Biggly.

P-Jay
    Free Member

You just love to see it don’t you?

The Tories are done, it’s over. Ending the same way all Tory governments end, with in-fighting and back-stabbing. It’ll be like the fall of Saigon now, they’ll be scratching each other eyes out, some trying to get on the last Helicopter and onto public sector board seats, the others fighting to lead them into opposition.

Things might actually get better for us now too, once the Tories remember they need to keep voters happy and not just their rich backers. There’s talk they might bring in the 19% income tax rate now, rather than in April, they might even make it 18%. Sure it won’t help the Poor and it’ll mean they can’t offer public sector workers inflationary rises, but neither of those groups vote Tory anyway and, if I’m honest and as someone who has public sector pay as part of their household income, a tax cut for the majority is fairer than a salary bump for the minority.

mrchrispy

Raab has the face of a man that’s just been caught w**king in the local park.
    and yes he is stupid.

binners

From the Guardian just now…

James Forsyth, who as as political editor of the Spectator is one of the journalists best tuned in to thinking in the Conservative party, has written a blog saying the byelection defeats make it more likely than before the the 1922 Committee rules will be changed to prevent Tory MPs having to wait another year until they can hold a second no confidence vote in Boris Johnson. Here’s an extract.

Looking at these Tory losses, it is hard not to conclude that the rebels would have got the 180 votes they needed to oust Boris Johnson if they had been organised enough to wait until after the by-elections before going for a vote of no confidence. But having had a vote two weeks ago, it is not credible to suggest changing the rules immediately to allow another one.

However, judging from the conversations I have had with Tory MPs this morning, more of them would now like the option of having another vote sooner than a year from now.

Forsyth says this will be an issue in the elections for the 1922 Committee executive (which has the power to change the rules) before the summer recess.

shermer75
    Free Member

I would question his motives but saying Gove can’t get anything done is a little unfair- he is actually quite effective! Evil, but effective.

binners

and yes he is stupid.

The man who didn’t realise that as an island we’re actually quite dependent on our ports? Stupid? Surely not?

freeagent
    Free Member

is the best thing i’ve read in the internet today!

masterdabber
    Free Member

However, Conservatives MPs have the power to ignore the “Whip” and either abstain or actually vote against parliamentary bills thereby freezing Johnson of any power to enact things.

Whether they have the will or the balls to do so is another matter.

Klunk
    Free Member

moronic government for a moronic country (the people over the road just had some hard core delivered. To lazy and thick to move their cars out of the drive before hand, now they can’t get out and they can’t get the barrow past the cars, so they have to carry it through the house in buckets! )

crazy-legs

thereby freezing Johnson of any power to enact things.

He’s not really doing anything though. Staggering blindly from one bit of gaffe-prone stupidity and corruption to the next.

None of what he is announcing will ever actually happen – 40 new hospitals, a nuclear power station a year.
    The only stuff being enacted is stuff they all want like stripping rights and regulations, a “bonfire of red tape”, cutting the power of the judiciary and so on.

kelvin

he is actually quite effective!

Under this PM? Johnson is a brake on getting anything useful delivered.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I would question his motives but saying Gove can’t get anything done is a little unfair- he is actually quite effective! Evil, but effective.

Not at the minute. He is systematically screwing up the planning system at present. Trying to centralise and fudge policy on many detailed planning matters whilst simultaneously claiming he’s empowering ‘localism’ in decision making – all whilst quietly dropping sanctions on Councils that don’t perform in meeting housing needs. It’s a total muddle and will do nothing to deliver 300,000 homes a year. It’s almost as if (like the Ukrainian asylum issue), the Gov are saying the thing they think needs to be heard but deliberately creating red tape and dragging their heals so as to not upset Mr and Mrs BEXIT/NIMBY. Classic doublespeak.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Raab also keeps bringing up the “high wages” line this morning, as the answer to “what’s the plan” questions… after a week of ministers talking against higher wages.

Raab wittering on about a “high wage” economy just four days after a Tory Treasury spokesdroid was on R4 talking about the need to constrain pay increases for the foreseeable future was a spectacularly silly thing to do. When he goes up against Starmer or Thornberry he comes away looking decidedly second-rate, if he wasn’t a Tory minister he’d be a middle ranking partner at an ambulance chasing proving provincial law firm.

winston
    Free Member

However, judging from the conversations I have had with Tory MPs this morning, more of them would now like the option of having another vote sooner than a year from now.

Possibly, but removing the convict a few more months down the line will leave the Torie in the situation of having a leadership battle far too close to a GE which is not a great look. Even now there is precious little time to get in a new guy and turn things around, even if they could.

The set of options they have is bad and getting worse with each passing week.

The problem for the rest of us is that right now more than ever we need a government focussing on the huge and pressing problems at hand and not hell bent on destroying themselves. Normally I’d be out with the deckchair, hobnobs and a nice cuppa to watch the tories destroying themselves but as someone noted a few posts ago, this lot are so evil, greedy and vindictive they will happily burn the temple down if it means a few more shekles for them and a harder a job for the next government.

Also, I think there are quite a few who relish being in opposition for a while and throwing mud at the new government, or out making money rather than having their expenditure scrutinised – though there must be a few slightly more worried today than yestarday about thier safe seats

P-Jay
    Free Member

I hope he stays exactly where he is, the goal (for me at least) it to get rid of them. Johnson is polling station poison now, his key players are looking more and more ridiculous by the minute trying to defend him. The last thing I want to see now, less then 2 years before a GE is Bozo, Dull Rabb, Mad Nad and Gov the Pob being replaced by a new crowd who might not be so utterly and obviously useless. No, far better this right wing, small minded, populist style of Tory is so utterly destroyed that no one would try it again for at least a generation.

binners

this lot are so evil, greedy and vindictive they will happily burn the temple down if it means a few more shekles for them and a harder a job for the next government.

This feels like the fag-end of the Major government, where its just one thing after another as it all falls apart. And if you remember (if you’re that old) one thing they did when they knew the writing was on the wall was rush though the totally ill-conceived rail privatisation, which ironically is this week still showing what a shambles that whole idea was.

God knows what this lot would do? Declare war on France? Privatise air?

rone

economy just four days after a Tory Treasury spokesdroid was on R4 talking about the need to constrain pay increases for the foreseeable future was a spectacularly silly thing to do.

They’re going around in circles on this.

Inflation due to supply side shocks. Wages suppressed. Can we have a wage rise please? – just to keep up with inflation that wasn’t our fault.

No because it drives inflation.

But my wages haven’t increased in years.

Tough, wage price spiral. Apart from the wealthy – we’re seeking to remove restrictions from financial players in the city so they can earn more via bonuses.

Don’t their wages cause inflation?

No never. Only the low waged cause a wage price spiral despite low wages.

shermer75
    Free Member

crazy-legs

I’m struggling to understand the disconnect in the messaging here.
    Work harder or “get a better job”* to be paid more.
    But you don’t deserve to be paid more cos The Market has decided that is what you’re worth.

* as if we can all just go out and “get a better job” like we’d pop out to get a pint of milk…

Get a better paid job but don’t ask to be paid more.

Everything this Government says is just batshit mental, they don’t have the slightest clue.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

When the besotted Nadine Dorries isn’t tweeting a banal supportive tweet on the day after 2 local election losses, you’re toast I reckon.

Superficial
    Free Member

Don’t their wages cause inflation?

Well yes, because poor people spend any excess money on frivolous things like heating, clothing and food.

If bankers get a £200k bonus (for example) it goes straight into their mortgage/property portfolio, propping up house prices. And we all know house price inflation = good*. Very little of that £200k gets into the high street buying things that affect the inflation ‘basket’.

*But first, don’t be poor. Because then it won’t be.

Houns

Nads thinks there’s been 11 world wars

jp-t853

His useful idiots in the cabinet have been very quiet and they have a lot to lose.
    Hopefully the writing is on the wall.

dogbone

if he wasn’t a Tory minister he’d be a middle ranking partner at an ambulance chasing proving provincial law firm.

Funny thing is I know this person.

rone

If bankers get a £200k bonus (for example) it goes straight into their mortgage/property portfolio, propping up house prices. And we all know house price inflation = good*. Very little of that £200k gets into the high street buying things that affect the inflation ‘basket’.

*But first, don’t be poor. Because then it won’t be.

There will always be inflation in some segment of the market and this will clearly affect the poor considerably.

But, the wealthy consume more resources, hoard more resources and restrict supply of the resources to the rest of us. That in itself is inflationary. And this is all about lack of supply. Not too much money.

A wage price spiral from the lower paid is in itself an oxymoron especially when your economy is contracting.

binners

I think we all know at least one person who’s very existence explains how this lot ended up in power. I’m related to one of them, though I avoid him like the plague. He has an abundance of all the ‘qualities’ required to be a junior bag carrier in Boris Johnsons cabinet.

rone

Everything this Government says is just batshit mental, they don’t have the slightest clue.

It’s the rigged market. Capitalism needs low wages to allow transfer of wealth to the wealthy.

In theory now would be the time offer better wages to court the supply of Labour – but the quad
    whammy of a disintegrating economy, no post-covid support, inflation and supply issues has well and truly cut the legs from market forces.

The is no real market expansion now without government money. And the Tories are currently sitting on the small state fence. So let’s strip and cut. Then what?

I will eat my bike if we’re not in a recession come Autumn (or probably already.)

PJM1974
    Free Member

Nads thinks

I doubt it.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Nads thinks there’s been 11 world wars

Christ, it’s like Aladdin rubbing his lamp and his little useless genie pops out! Maybe she’s monitoring STW. She is responsible for ‘sport’ after all …so maybe not 😉

crazy-legs

They crop up everywhere.
    Little Hitlers promoted far beyond their abilities due to their propensity for brown-nosing and their unswerving capacity for taking the credit and therefore giving the impression that they know what they’re doing / are good at it.
    Ridiculously loyal to their boss while also never realising that they are kept in that post purely so they can become the fall guy if needed.

inkster
    Free Member

“think we all know at least one person who’s very existence explains how this lot ended up in power.”

In my case, Uncle Michael….He believes Britain will be a better place in 25 years time.

He’s nearly 80.

Northwind

Johnston excellently saying that it’s all just “a distraction” and that he’s “getting on with the job” and “what’s really important”. Yep, that’s why he’s in Rwanda.

tomd

The Tory candidate in Tiverton did seem particularly awful which probably didn’t help. The q&a I saw with her looked like a comediene parodying thick grasping tory of the worst kind, a sort of younger Nad type of thing.

Well yes, and no. Because to most people, yes she’s an awful candidate. But to the current tory leadership and cultists, she’s a perfect candidate. Dorres only worse? Well, they love Dorres, Dorres only worse is their dream. They need people who can lie loudly without thinking, believe anything regardless of how stupid without knowing anthing about anything, and contradict themselves 3 times in a sentence while patronising you. Because that’s the only way they can function, now. So it’s not like they put up a bad candidate that they’d rather not have had. They put up their dream candidate. It’s ace.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Raab is about as hard-right as they get, which is why he has a cabinet job right now.

Not quite. Raab got the job for the same reasons as above but specifically because he was one of the most enthusiastic liars about brexit. He went direct to being deputy pm with literally no other qualification.

Meanwhile, Dowden is exactly the sort of Tory that traditionally you’d really worry about.

Viewing 40 posts - 14,201 through 14,240 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.