• This topic has 17,667 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by BillMC.
Viewing 40 posts - 14,241 through 14,280 (of 17,668 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • mattyfez

QT was interesting last night.

The tory ‘fall girl’ fielded up was absolutely defenceless. Especially when she started telling bare faced lies to the union guy and the rail worker in the audience.

I thought the transport union Boss came across very well, and was very reserved. He needs to be.

binners

kelvin

I thought Ben (don’t mention the Russians) Elliot was already co-chair, but just keeping a low profile compared to Dowden for “reasons” (don’t mention the Russians).

Oh… Michael Howard has called for Boris Johnson to go now… probably still a remoaner plot.

martinhutch

Michael Howard has already sacked him once, so it’s hardly surprising.

Robz
    Free Member

Channel 4 news and Krishnan Guru-Murthy having a great time with a captive Boris interview currently.

kimbers

I see his cheerleaders are taking it well

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I like the phrase black belt in bullshit…..

Funny but sadly out of date with so much more to add!

Del

When you accept it’s for the most part word soup spat out purely to avoid answering a question or prevent the difficult questions being asked it makes perfect sense.

inkster
    Free Member

Is that the Daily Heil road testing some election fraud theories in preparation for the next general election?

kimbers
    crazy-legs

Does he pay for a single thing himself?

Does he know that you can buy a 3-bedroom semi for that sort of money in some parts of the country and that treehouses don’t actually cost that?!

Christ, no wonder he thought his £250,000 salary from the Telegraph was “chicken feed” (his words) if he’s being sold basic stuff at wildly inflated prices…

igm

Apparently the tree house had bullet proof glass in the design and if the rest of the design was equally over the top  I can see that the cost might well be £150k. But it’s ok, he wasn’t intending to pay.

Mad

crazy-legs

Apparently the tree house had bullet proof glass in the design

And probably some top of the range wallpaper… 😉

Rich_s

and that treehouses don’t actually cost that?!

Here’s the scary thing. I just had a posh shed built. 2 rooms, one finished as an office, one a man cave, upvc doors etc. For about 10k. North West prices.

Neighbour’s son came for a look around. He lives in London. One of his colleagues just had a posh shed built, it’s bigger than mine as it has a mezzanine, but 1 big room to be a gym and office. Price?

I had to sit down. £200k.

£200k for a shed. So yes, in Carrie’s world, a treehouse does indeed cost 150k.

mattyfez

Wow.
    That certainly tops John Travoltas $5 milkshake at Jack Rabbit Slims, in Pulp fiction.

kelvin

road testing some election fraud theories in preparation for the next general election?

I’ve heard several ministers prepping the ground for the same thing… that tactical voting is “dishonest” (but majority rule based on a minority vote is not)… they’ll be calling it “undemocratic” or “fraud” come the next election I suspect…

https://twitter.com/haggis_uk/status/1540334029257465856?s=21

ernielynch

If there was some sort of electoral pact between Labour and the LibDems then of course it was dishonest. It would have been honest to have pointed out to voters precisely the nature of the pact and how it was hoped they would vote.

Instead voters were deliberately mislead into thinking that Labour wanted them to vote for them in
    Tiverton and Honiton and that the LibDems wanted them to vote for them in Wakefield. Otherwise why stand candidates?

A ‘wink and a nudge’ politics is dishonest even if you think that it is justified.

pictonroad

Lol @ Tories calling anyone dishonest. 😂

crazy-legs

Lol @ Tories calling anyone dishonest. 😂

The Daily Fail are at it too, they’re very upset that these dishonest and undemocratic electoral pacts are being formed.

This is the same newspaper that told everyone how to form electoral pacts to ensure the Tories got in so that Brexit could get done.

zippykona

# all Tories are ****

igm

Ernie, I think picton has it.

Oh and please can we not call it tactical voting.

It’s taking your single vote, your one and only, and transferring it to the candidate that you think is the best balance of who you would you would like to win against who is likely to win.

A manual version of the automated Single Transferable Vote system – one of a number of electoral systems loosely and inaccurately termed proportional representation, even though STV is arguably Aldo still a form of FTP. (Though it is certainly more proportional than bloody minded tribal-FTP voting)

This is exactly the sort of thing the LibDems in particular have been openly campaigning for for years, though admittedly I think they’d prefer a more formal and automated version.

PS – nothing dishonest in tactical voting.

Honourable I would suggest

If you want say Labour most, LibDem you could accept and preferably not the Tories, but the local opinion polls are suggesting Tories probably, LibDems possibly and Labour no chance (and variations on that are played out all over the country) the honourable thing to do is vote LibDem as the closest likely winner to the one you want.

You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.

inkster
    Free Member

Fielding a candidate whilst wanting your natural support to vote for another team to achieve a specific outcome is actually the honest thing to do.

If a party doesn’t field a candidate then they disenfranchise their own core voters (like party members for example) who would only ever consider voting for one party.

Northwind

If you think tactical voting and electoral pacts are dishonest and worrying, the answer is some sort of proportional representation. FPTP makes NOT voting tactically and splitting votes completely stupid.

inkster
    Free Member

That’s a good breakdown of what’s going on igm.

I’m quite impressed with how Labour and the Lib Dems have sorted this one out. The beauty of it is how simple it is, it doesn’t really need much organising and the public gets it without explanation. It might even give some a sense of ‘agency’, where previoisly they felt only despair..

It makes the first past the post system deliver results that are more proportionally representative, so in the absence of real electoral reform, at least we can say that the electorate themselves are improving the system.

igm

My father was a Professor of political science and wrote extensively on voting systems.

I should have picked up some of it around the dinner table.

Actually I think STV FTP probably is my preferred system.

It’s not perfect in that over a country the popular vote might not mirror the parliament elected, but it keeps the constituency tie for MPs, and should ensure each constituency gets an MP that best reflects the consensus view of those who voted.

As I recall though there are a few different versions of STV FTP, and we might need a digital voting system to do it overnight as opposed to taking days – like TV shows have I guess.

MoreCashThanDash

The beauty of it is how simple it is, it doesn’t really need much organising and the public gets it without explanation. It might even give some a sense of ‘agency’, where previoisly they felt only despair..

Which is key here

pictonroad

Are we just supposed to forget May’s administration formed a pact with the DUP that no-one was given a choice in voting for?

It’s extraordinary the contempt Tories have for the intelligence of ‘others’ or even their own rank and file.

They lie as they breathe.

steveb

I’m thinking of joining the Labour party, although I would be voting for the lib dems as best anti-tory option in this area. At the recent elections for the new North Yorkshire council, our ward succeeded in getting a Lib Dem elected. Mind it was a two horse race, I was actually well pleased to see only 2 candidates on the ballot paper. If any of the usual lab, green, indy or Yorkshire pudding party had stood, then the seat would almost certainly has gone to the cons.

theotherjonv

Boris Johnson has said a “psychological transformation” in his character is “not going to happen” after by-election defeats led to calls for change.

The PM was responding to Tory party chairman Oliver Dowden saying it could not be “business as usual” as he quit.

Mr Johnson told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, he “humbly and sincerely” accepts criticism.

But he said he also had to distinguish between “criticism that really matters and criticism that doesn’t”.

Presumably 148 of his MP’s doesn’t count. Nor the newspaper barons that are calling him to go. Or the party grandees. So who would need to criticise for it to matter?

Northwind

pictonroad
    Free Member

Are we just supposed to forget May’s administration formed a pact with the DUP that no-one was given a choice in voting for?

The one that she formed by bribing the DUP with public money? That one?

Coincidentally, the only reason May was able to make that deal was the increase in scottish tory MPs- something that was made possible mostly by the Labour party’s selfharming approach of treating the SNP as the greater enemy. Hey, it’s almost as though not working together with closely aligned parties, and dividing that vote, is exactly how you get Tories in power! I wonder why it is that they’re attacking the idea.

ernielynch

I’m thinking of joining the Labour party, although I would be voting for the lib dems as best anti-tory option in this area.

Supporting a candidate who is standing against an official Labour Party candidate is very much grounds for expulsion from the party.

However expulsions are almost always aimed at left-wingers so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was tolerated as long as you weren’t accused of being left-wing.

gecko76

Boris Johnson has said a “psychological transformation” in his character is “not going to happen” after by-election defeats led to calls for change.

“It’s not me; it’s you”.

Riksbar

Does this put to bed once and for all the myth that he will grow into the role and achieve greatness? Some of us have always known that a “psychological transformation” in his character was never “going to happen”, in fact see the OP in this thread.

crazy-legs

Does this put to bed once and for all the myth that he will grow into the role and achieve greatness?

It’s going to result in another Priti style apology:

I’m sorry that you feel I’m not perfect.
    I’m sorry that you think I could be better.
    I’m sorry that that’s your impression of me.

Basically put it back onto the observer and imply there’s something wrong with their perception and understanding.

Sandwich

Does this put to bed once and for all the myth that he will grow into the role and achieve greatness? Some of us have always known that a “psychological transformation” in his character was never “going to happen”

Does the PM not realise that his ignominious clinging to power and dishonesty is destroying his post politics chances? Anyone hiring him will be destroying their brand by aligning themselves with such a desparate moral vacuum.

tjagain

He is incapable of understanding he has failed.

steveb

@ernielynch
    Actually, I was wrong there!
    Local NYC elections labour would have been a very distant 3rd in this ward (very rural, villages and farms), had there been a candidate (there wasn’t).
    2019 GE, labour were 2nd place, a fact which has just surprised me.
    Con 63%
    Lab 18.5%
    LD 12%
    Green 4%
    Yorkshire Party 1.6%

If there was a tactical voting pact, could either LD or Lab take all the others vote and >1/4 of the con vote? Probably not, although if Boris is still there, in the very deep hole he seems intent on digging even deeper!

MoreCashThanDash

Does the PM not realise that his ignominious clinging to power and dishonesty is destroying his post politics chances? Anyone hiring him will be destroying their brand by aligning themselves with such a desparate moral vacuum.

There’s a delicious irony in the way he’s turning any chance of a post politics career into nothing more than him being a freak show.

dudeofdoom

£200k for a shed. So yes, in Carrie’s world, a treehouse does indeed cost 150k.

Especially if your not having to put your hand in your own pocket 🙂

It’s not like it’s even their own house.

Sandwich

There’s a delicious irony in the way he’s turning any chance of a post politics career into nothing more than him being a freak show.

I’m more worried that we may be paying his family’s benefits because he’s unemployable! Though I am on record as saying some people are worth keeping out of the workforce and the country can afford to carry some for the benefit of everyone.

Viewing 40 posts - 14,241 through 14,280 (of 17,668 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.