• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • tjagain

So he has now gone from “pure fanny” to ” fud”

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

he can just trample on the democratic will of the British people

Just over 17M people voted to leave. Just over 31M people voted in the last general election. I’m looking forward to someone explaining how denying the elected representatives of those 31M people the right to challenge this is in any way “democratic”.

chewkw
    Free Member

PM Boris knows that if he does not go for a No Deal then Conversation Party will be history.

In the meantime let’s wait and see if PM Boris got the guts to go for No Deal. 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

How does the killfile work?

PJM1974
    Free Member

How does the killfile work?

Public Service Announcement: The Killfile is an extremely effective means of removing intentionally nonsensical non-sequiturs and ensuring that blatant trolling does not spoil your STW experience.

It can be found here:

I highly recommend it in fact.

Cougar

Just over 17M people voted to leave. Just over 31M people voted in the last general election. I’m looking forward to someone explaining how denying the elected representatives of those 31M people the right to challenge this is in any way “democratic”.

Oh, I explained this in the Big Thread. Language has been redefined.

Post-referendum, “democratic” means “anything that the leavers want or agree with” and similarly “undemocratic” is disagreeing with them. Neither of these words have had any relation to actual representative democracy in the last three years beyond being a homonym.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

“anything that the leavers want or agree with”

Which has been continuously redefined throughout that period of time, so something that might have been “democratic” three years ago is now “undemocratic”.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Just over 17M people voted to leave. Just over 31M people voted in the last general election.

80pc of those 31M people voted for parties with ‘Leave’ in their manifesto. Personally, I thought outcome of the referendum was pretty inconclusive – pretty much 50-50.

The election was emphatic. The vast majority voted for a leave party.

somafunk

no they didn’t,

Del

and there it is, again. ffs.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Sorry, remind me which party was a realistic anti-Brexit choice at that election?

kimbers

80pc of those 31M people voted for parties with ‘Leave’ in their manifesto.

but how many voted for no deal?

and as I pointed out earlier where does the tory manifesto mention no deal?

https://www.conservatives.com/manifesto

Exit the European single market and customs union but seek a “deep and special partnership” including comprehensive free trade and customs agreement
    Vote in both Houses of Parliament on “final agreement” for Brexit
    Assess whether to continue with specific European programmes and it “will be reasonable that we make a contribution” to the ones which continue
    Agree terms of future partnership with EU alongside withdrawal, both within the two years allowed under Article 50
    Convert EU law into UK law and later allow parliament to pass legislation to “amend, repeal or improve” any piece of this
    Remain signatories to the European Convention on Human Rights for the next parliament
    Repeal or replace the Human Rights Act “while the process of Brexit is under way” ruled out, although consideration will be given to the UK’s “human rights legal framework” when Brexit concludes
    Reduce and control immigration from Europe after Brexit
    Seek to replicate all existing EU free trade agreements
    Support the ratification of trade agreements entered into during our EU membership
    Introduce a Trade Bill in the next parliament
    Create a network of Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioners to head nine new regional overseas posts
    Reconvene the Board of Trade to increase exports from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as well as England.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Sorry, remind me which party was a realistic anti-Brexit choice at that election?

Good question. Who did the 20pc vote for?

EDIT: Scratch that, seems to be one for the EU thread, I don’t want to derail the Boris thread. (…and I’m desperately trying to stay out of the politics threads.)

kimbers

So when is the next election?

Johnsons move today implies he wants it soon to maximise his BXP party vote reclamation

but at the same time this is bad news for the Tories in Scotland & a gift to the SNP

if the tories lost their seats in scotland even with the current polls theyd lose their majority

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I can’t help hoping this is all some elaborate plan on boris’ part to force a VoNC on the 3rd so he can extricate the cons from having to deliver brexit, blame Labour/LD/anyone-but-boris so as to ensure he still looks like the second coming to all the true believers.

I really do hope BJ is a machiavellian genius and we’ve just never noticed before.

if the tories lost their seats in scotland even with the current polls theyd lose their majority

That’s a big if, Scotland might have been majority remain but it was far from unanimous still, even then the tories will be looking to pick up seats elsewhere, their seats in Scotland are a nice little bonus but Scotland is hardly their main bastion of support.

I’ll be honest though, coming 2nd in a GE sounds like a bigger prize than first at the moment.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Yeah, but I don’t think anyone forsees a bright future for the Tory party. The very best they can hope for is embarrasing wafer thin majorities until momentum lose their grip on Labour. More likely is oblivion. No money, no activists.

As said above, if there’s an Autumn election second place is looking like a victory to me.

scotroutes

Easily restored with a Section 30 order, and we know the core Tory support will be happy to see Scotland go to ensure an English Brexit.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s come as absolutely no surprise to discover that Boris is pro-rogering.

That’s why no one know how many children he has.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My parents are pretty keen leavers, from Scotland.
    I was speaking to my dad and he says he has noone to vote for any more.
    He used to vote SNP because he wants Scottish independence. But now can’t as they are so Pro-EU and also because they have changed the top rate of income tax which is costing him (he’s a high earner)
    Can’t vote Labour because Corbyn is too left wing (my dad is pretty centrist in his politics, maybe a bit right as he’s got older).
    Won’t vote Tory because he hates everything they stand for/have done in Scotland in the past -he grew up in a shipbuilding area that didn’t fare well with Thatcher etc.

I guess he’d probably vote Brexit party, but they haven’t fielded candidates up here.. yet.

But you can kind of see why their one policy manifesto works – it doesn’t have any baggage to someone who really wants to leave the EU as priority #1

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

One positive from this mornings request for parliament to be suspended though is it does effectively close the door on a legislative approach that [currently] doesn’t really exist.

Inadvertently I’m sure, but by attempting to bypass parliament and democracy BJ has prevented what would have been either a significant waste of time by the opposition parties or a huge constitutional problem had they manged to get bercow to allow them to ammend a standing order 24 call for an emergency debate.

It does very much force everyone else’s hand to a VoNC, so now they just need to play nicely for a few weeks…

Anyone swap me a carrot for my lb of £notes?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Just for info – post leaving we’ll be so desperate for trade deals, we’ll cosy up to the Trumpet and accept their food standards. And here they are the fda’s list of acceptable food contaminants – maggots, rodent hairs and excreta, insect parts. Awesome – where do vegans stand on rat hairs in their chocolate?

sirromj

And here they are the fda’s list of acceptable food contaminants – maggots, rodent hairs and excreta, insect parts

Yeah definitely, there’s nothing so pressing as 0.012 grams of aphid on your whole broccoli.

kimbers

As well as potentially losing the 12 MPs that Davidson won for the Tories and their slender majority

Johnson has put a lot of Tories on the spot tonight

Check.The full thread

BillMC

I said they were rogues.

alpin
    Free Member

I really do hope BJ is a machiavellian genius and we’ve just never noticed before.

I had at one time a glimmer of hope that May was the same…. But no.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Public Service Announcement: The Killfile is an extremely effective means of removing intentionally nonsensical non-sequiturs and ensuring that blatant trolling does not spoil your STW experience.

The electronic equivalent to sticking fingers in your ears and going “la la la! I can’t hear you”.

Don’t really get blocking people because of their views. Like on Twitter where I see loads of people who on reading anything don’t agree with they block that person and just to make their point they post “You’re blocked!”.

Don’t like their views, move on. Don’t need to engage, and don’t even have to feel hate or anger towards them. They may be decent people even if you don’t agree on some things. Plenty of friends write absolute garbage (and I do likewise), but they’re still my friends.

bikebouy
    Free Member

2 very well supported petitions out there to get LyingBloHard out of office.

Just google em’ add your support if you fancy a job/keeping a job after October.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

if you fancy a job/keeping a job after October.

There’ll be plentiful work after 31st October. We can’t be the worlds sweatshop without creating a couple of million “pound a day” jobs.

dissonance

We can’t be the worlds sweatshop without creating a couple of million “pound a day” jobs.

Hate to say it but not sure they want it as a sweatshop as such as opposed to a low tax/regulation hideyhole for the financial sector.

MSP

The electronic equivalent to sticking fingers in your ears and going “la la la! I can’t hear you”.

Don’t really get blocking people because of their views. Like on Twitter where I see loads of people who on reading anything don’t agree with they block that person and just to make their point they post “You’re blocked!”.

Don’t like their views, move on. Don’t need to engage, and don’t even have to feel hate or anger towards them. They may be decent people even if you don’t agree on some things. Plenty of friends write absolute garbage (and I do likewise), but they’re still my friends.

There is a difference between listening to a coherent argument that disagrees with my own position, and just having a stream of nonsense and lies repeatedly crammed into incoherent statements. I am quite happy to listen to the former, but would rather block the later.

Anyone unfortunate enough to read one of checkw’s (and some others posts) is like standing next to someone who has stuck their fingers in their ears and is yelling la la la at the top of their voice. It is those who are blocking the discussion not those of us who choose to ignore them.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Can’t say I get worked up about it. Just a bike forum with a load of nonsense at times and got better things to do (like ride bikes 😁).

chestrockwell

I agree with the above, it’s not to block those who disagree with you it’s to block those who just make noise with no real point like chewk. Binners is heading that way on the EU thread. It get’s tedius. Not that I can be bothered to work out how a killfile works so am stuck with scrolling past.

dannyh
    Free Member

The Killfile on here has a major advantage, though.

The troll doesn’t know whether or not you have Killfiled them.

There is no point doing what the post above said on Twitter i.e. blocking someone then telling them you have done it. That is the troll’s oxygen, they have the reaction and they know not to waste their time further.

Much better to install it on the quiet, so the troll wastes their time thinking you can still see their bullshit. Maybe unblock them for a bit, bite back once, then re-block. That way they waste their energy a bit more before realizing you aren’t seeing any of it. If this level of uncertainty can become very prevalent (if enough people do it), it will literally drive them crazy.

Trolls are just attention seekers. They crave the reaction and the engagement to fill the gaps they have in their offline lives. Deny them the oxygen and/or even better, make them waste their own oxygen too.

Killfile is good. Killfile-induced uncertainty is even better.

andy8442
    Free Member

Anyway, back to the plot. What’s the strongest swear word I can use on here to show my distain for Boris?

mogrim

There is no point doing what the post above said on Twitter i.e. blocking someone then telling them you have done it. That is the troll’s oxygen, they have the reaction and they know not to waste their time further.

You can just mute someone on Twitter if that’s your concern. Blocking means they can’t see your posts while logged in, or at all if you protect your account.

Anyway, all this no deal rubbish has started me seriously looking into what I need to do to get Spanish citizenship. Which will no doubt mean many fees, paperwork, and time wasted 🙁

kerley
    Free Member

Anyway, back to the plot. What’s the strongest swear word I can use on here to show my distain for Boris?

Just try a few
    ****, tosser, ****, bastard, ****

Not very strong then….

kelvin

Today, I feel the need to go full Godwin and point out that Hitler loved his dogs. If you’ve seen/read any news this morning you’ll know why I’m mentioning this.

kelvin

The government has no majority now. Even with the DUP. Johnson is likely to be the PM with the shortest tenure in history. He deserves that accolade.

TiRed

Could be the only modern PM never to attend PMQ’s. All I have for him is contempt, utter contempt. #notinmyname

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The government has no majority now. Even with the DUP. Johnson is likely to be the PM with the shortest tenure in history. He deserves that accolade.

Better still he could have a long reign passing everyone else’s legislation as they ammend everything to death but won’t give him a GE. See how many times we can get “boris is a bawbag” on the statues?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.