Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • jimplops

Its to do with the photobucket screw over.

Shame as there’s probably a load of good photos on this thread that’ll have gone.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Anyone summarise day to day at 155 travel and 160 forks? On southern trails.

How about uplift days/dh tracks at 170 travel and 180mm forks?

Shandy
    Free Member

Dean there are that many options now that you are best doing a demo at BPW.

Chainline
    Free Member

What do you mean by summarise?

As Shandy says, it’s very configurable.

I have a friend who uses one 155/160mm as a day to day down South. But to be honest 180mm front or 160mm front pedals the same and can be made to feel similar just with volume spacers. It is easy to change travel for a big trip if you buy the 180mm version first.

I also have a friend who uses the 170/180 as his everyday bike down south.

At 170mm/180mm it eats uplifts/dh and I used that for everything until I put the 160mm 29er front in, I now use 170mm/160mm as everyday and uplift bike.

Best is to try a 170/180mm bike with the right setup and decide if that suits you for everyday as the weight is the same. Just swop wheels for xc or dh.

deanfbm
    Free Member

So….. on XC trails, think swinley for example, will it kill any possible fun? IE, can you stand up, stomp on the pedals, pump, get to enough speed on mellower stuff to make gaps up along the way? Or are you simply stuck to sitting down twiddling and that’ll be all it will ever be?

Chainline
    Free Member

I stand up and stomp and do what you describe on my 170m. Dmaping and volme spacers set up to suit. Maybe honourablegeorge can chime in here.

I love it on moderate stuff as you can carve the bejesus out of flattish corners, I leave myself breathless gathering speed 😆

I live in the midlands and ride at Cannock when not going further afield and on more local, even flatter trails. It’s still great fun.

There is always the climb switch or just tweak the damping since it takes 1 min if a day on flat terrain beckons and you don’t want the expense of 2 shocks.

Another alternative is to drop in a 216×63 DPS or older RP23 (other makes of shock are available) to run 155mm at the rear, have some ‘trail’ damping and drop 350g in weight again if Swinley or similar.

CP is 90+ kg and rides 170mm on flatter stuff too. The local tracks in Stanton are not all gnarr by any stretch and need some pedalling to get max fun.

I have just as much fun on my GeoMetron as on my old Rigid, it’s just different, I’ve kinda moved from on the limit of the bikes traction and twitchy responses to embracing the G and high lean angles of great carves and front end grip a plenty. The feeling of a swoopy singletrack with successive opposing corners, flat or slightly bermed, driving the front round and flipping the bike side to side…lovely. Wishing I wasn’t sat here at a desk typing this, I’m getting all excited about riding!

honourablegeorge

I’m on 180/155 and find it a great bike – I have a hardtail I ride on flatter terrain, but when I do take the Geo on that stuff it’s efficient and fun, I’ve never found myself wishing I wasn’t on it. Don’t find it at all unweidly or dull – the flat corners thing, yep, he’s right on that.

I do uplift DH, regualr steeper “enduro” trails, trail riding etc, and never change settings, just jump on and ride, all I’ve done is set sag and use the settings Chainline kindly recommended for me, and find it just does it all. Tried Shockwiz, and changed nothing but a click of LSC.

I rode a 160/160 26er Nicolai Ion 16 previously, and the 180/155 Geometron doesn’t feel less fun or playful in any way

Gotama
    Free Member

So….. on XC trails, think swinley for example, will it kill any possible fun? IE, can you stand up, stomp on the pedals, pump, get to enough speed on mellower stuff to make gaps up along the way? Or are you simply stuck to sitting down twiddling and that’ll be all it will ever be?

Personal preference and only you can answer imo. I have a G13 which I think is a great bike, really enjoy riding it and I’m constantly amazed by what I can do on it. That said I also have a new Chameleon with plus tyres and a 130mm fork. I come from the ‘knife to a gunfight’ bike approach so I am naturally biased against Chainline’s view but there are some trails in Surrey Hills which are just a lot more fun, for me, on the Chameleon. The Nicolai feels dull by comparison, like I’m arm wrestling it into doing something that it can do perfectly well but at the same time, it doesn’t really want to do. It wants to go fast over rougher terrain whilst being smashed into corners at every chance, not hussle along a trail which points vaguely downhill where the biggest tech challenge are some roots that are tentatively breaking through the surface. The Chameleon on the same milder trails actively encourages you to ride like a kid again, attempting your best Voreis style on trail manuals and popping off tiny roots etc. I think it comes down to weight difference, the increase in get up and go on pedal input that you get from hardtail/shorter travel bike and that feeling of the bike getting unsettled from roots etc in the trail. Anyway, my tuppence.

honourablegeorge

Gotama – Member

The Nicolai feels dull by comparison,

*points at 29er wheels*
    *taps nose*

🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

😀 Pffft, it does still go round corners which is a source of constant amazement. 😀

honourablegeorge

I’d have a g13 given half a chance. There was one second hand in the classifieds that gave me serious pause for thought/divorce

Chainline
    Free Member

I think Gotama sums it up, personally as mentioned (with bad typing) I find it more fun than my old short travel and/or rigid bikes not less but it depends what you like doing.
    I went out not so long ago on my Stooge and was seriously underwhelmed as I just couldn’t drive it into corners in the same way.
    Each to their own. The way to determine if it’s too dull for you is give it a go 😉

Chainline
    Free Member

There be a few stock G13’s available at Mojo young Paul tells me, across all sizes.

If anyone is interested get in touch direct. I gather there are deals to be done.

catvet
    Free Member

Why is that Phil, are they being phased out?

Still like to try a G13 in longer!!

Regards
    H

julians
    Free Member

Any g16 deals to be done?

Chainline
    Free Member

CatVet, no not to my knowledge. More people have been buying G16s recently. Mojo carry stock and only have so much space not taken up by suspension which probably neatly answers Julian’s question….

There have been more ‘long travel’ releases from the mainstream this year in 29er whereas last year it seemed to be ‘shorter travel’

That

CheesybeanZ

There be a few stock G13’s available at Mojo young Paul tells me, across all sizes.

If anyone is interested get in touch direct. I gather there are deals to be done.

I really wish I hadn’t read that …

singlespeedstu

You want the G16 mate. 8)
    There’s another one appearing in our garage soon. 😀

Chainline
    Free Member

I loves my 16 I must confess. The fact Singlespeedstu feels that way enough to go 2x makes me very happy indeed

singlespeedstu

It’s not for me, that’d just be greedy.
    Mrs stus has been bitten by the Geometron bug. 😆
    I did warn her not to try one unless she wanted to buy a new bike…

Chainline
    Free Member

Thought that might be the case. That up’s the stoke further

rollsroyce
    Free Member

Hey chainline, just seen geometron’s post on insta. What’s the info on the custom shock for the g13?

Chainline
    Free Member

I was gonna post on here. Can’t link pics via Flickr via phone!

Headline is Chris/Paul have developed a custom length DHX-2 coil for the G13 to deliver 148mm of rear travel to match a 150mm front (or less of course if you choose up front)

They’ll show it at Ard Rock, there will be a demo bike there.

I’ll probably get hold of one to fit to mine for demo purposes.

It is of course retro-fittable and can be combined with the potential deals on the current G13 frames.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

Any details on the shock? Is it still 190 length with just a longer stroke?

Chainline
    Free Member

Longer stroke, 190mm length.

Chainline
    Free Member

For those wondering; longer travel G13 with custom DHX-2, 148mm rear travel.

[/url]IMG_1082 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

Chainline
    Free Member

oooh. It’s built. For those who’ve been in touch I’ll be in touch.

For the record H is 5’2″ or 158cm tall. Bang in the middle of the size range.

The bike is built with a 160mm fork, 145mm rear (158mm with a different shock) and comfortably fits a 150mm dropper for H’s height. It fits great and gets a big thumbs up from the carpark test!

Weight is a genuine 13.2kg/29lbs. with 2.35 Magic Mary and 2.35 Maxxis Aggressor EXO.

[/url]IMG_1084 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]IMG_1088 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]IMG_1087 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

singlespeedstu

Owww look at the ickle Geometron it looks so cute.
    I’ll have to show these pics to my mates youngest.
    She’ll love it.

Shandy
    Free Member

Thats really nice!

ART

Nice! Thanks for the msg too 🙂

Paul-j

Literially, just got the G16 built up since coming back from Mojo and had a day at FOD. Between paul and chris they have manage to do what I was asking for.

So the G16 is now equipped with 29er wheels front an back, 180mm 27.5 CSU with 29er lowers. 450mm swing arm but still running the original x2 at 150mm

2016 G16 Longest
    Head angle 62 degree
    seat angle 76 degree
    BB 347MM
    29er front and back

Its an amazing bike, I’ve had the G16 29er/27 rear set up and loved that. But wanted to give it ago 29er front and back. I’ve enjoyed all three set ups on the one bike. Something i didn’t think I’d ever own one frame that could accommodate so much tinkering.

Bit of a trigger/del boy broom set up you could say.

singlespeedstu

Pics please Paul.
    You can’t make a post like that without pics. 😀

Wookster

Chainline is the MiniTron frame raw or is that a painted frame?

Paul-j

I tried the other day singlespeed stu, photobucket doesn’t seem to want to let me do it.

Wookster

It won’t Paulj they’ve changed the rules if you try postimage.org instead I. Works no bother! Plus I really want to see your bike!!

blakec
    Free Member

Chainline

The not so long no looks great

Paul j

you didn’t happen to see an XXL g16 lying around? Going with a similar set up to yours. Just waiting for Toby to get back to me to see if mine has turned up.

Shandy
    Free Member

Paul were you getting 170-odd travel on the back before, with the 27.5 wheel?

Chainline
    Free Member

Shandy, if Paul was running a 222 he would have been, there is no restriction. I am running mine 170mm rear 29 both ends for various testing runs. It works well with the BB at 350mm. I’m also running 155mm sometimes.

The 155mm doesn’t need any offsets and can just run with the chip in 222 but with the 216 shock.

The 170mm, 222 shock with two offset bushes gives a 350mm (give or take a couple of mm) and good HA and SA.

350mm BB height steers the best with the 29’s for me, I think its the same BB drop as the 29/27.5 from memory.

I ran the 155mm at 340mm BB and was less keen on the ride, I ended up adjusting the shock to compensate for the feel.

The NotSo Long is a raw finish.

The final package will be a bit lighter as that one currently is running DH wheels front and rear even tho they are carbonium.

Super happy with how it’s turned out and the fact it looks right and clearly rides right for H at that size, despite a WB longer than Flo Payet’s WC Mondy as CP pointed out. 😆

When I do the testing and hopefully get feedback and quotes I want to not really mention any of the tech specs
    like weight/geo and concentrate on ride feel/grip/confidence etc etc.

I’ll need to mention a bit about the technique to get the best out of it/the front but I’ll try and keep it to that.

If we start comparing the spec’s to other manufacturers bikes/size recommendations the internet will rapidly pass judgement and distribute alternative facts and fake news!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

This is the one you really want 😀 that’s if the link works…
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BUceatiDjNJ/
    Edit, the second one might work…

thepodge
    Free Member

So hang on, are we saying you can happily run 29 wheels in the 650 version?

I like all this Geometron stuff but should I ever be able to buy one, I’d not know what to actually buy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.