Viewing 40 posts - 2,081 through 2,120 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • singlespeedstu

@a11y.
    I’ve got a couple of Float X2 Factory shocks spare that both came off G16’s in 222×70 flavour if you’re interested?

a11y

@singlespeedstu, thanks but I think I’d prefer a coil. Replaced the X2 on my G15 with a CC DB Coil IL after the usual X2 squelch developed, not sure I want another. Got mine serviced, rode it once and it was mint, but happier on the coil.

singlespeedstu

@a11y
    EXT is all I have to say on the subject 😉

a11y

I expect @ta11pau1 will be posting in here soon with his new G1 (and if not, why not!).

Reminded me to post up following my swap from a XL G15 to L G16 last week and first ride. Mentioned earlier but at 187cm I was curious to try the slightly smaller Largest frame size – I’m on the border between sizes, and felt more comfortable on my other/similar bike with a 520 reach. With a L G16 being around 520 reach compared to the 535 reach of my XL G15, it should be a good match. I could only just fit a 200mm dropper on the G15 with its 500mm ST whereas the G16’s is 470mm giving me a bit of room to drop the dropper further (or fit an even longer one…).

First ride went well but I’ve already tweaked it since. Everything except cranks/BB was swapped over from the G15, including the CC shock complete with offset bushes already fitted. I didn’t have any normal bushes to hand so it resulted in a <61deg HA with my 170 Yari/Lyrik, 29/29er wheels, 216×63 shock (155mm travel) with the chip in the 222×70 setting. It felt VERY slack on my local, tame trails – admittedly a poor test for the bike especially given fairly inconsistently muddy conditions. It did, however, feel a very nice size being slightly shorter than my G15.

I’ve now fitted normal shock bushes to steepen the HA which is currently 62deg or so. I could flip the chip to the 216×63 setting but concerned about raising the BB height further given I’m full 29er. Yet to ride it to test though.

Pic before I swapped the offset bushes out:

G16

Future plans include mulleting it with a 222×70 shock for 175mm travel. I’ve got a secondhand Ohlins TTX on the way and already have a 27.5 wheel ready to go. There’s sooooooo much tweaking that can be done with these bikes. I know the Ohlins has the option for spherical bearings similar to the EXT, so that’s something else I can faff around with in future.

ta11pau1

I expect @ta11pau1 will be posting in here soon with his new G1 (and if not, why not!).

Well, if you insist… 😎

Build went fairly well, my 203mm rear brake adapter m6x18 bolts are too long and hit the inside of the hole which the barrel nut sits in, I could rob a 180mm disc from my other bike but, naaaah! I’ve got 2 m6x12mm bolts coming to get that sorted.

This build is basically the same as the one I demo’d weight wise but with supergravity tyres instead of supertrail. The mezzer pro is probably one of the few forks that should be able to keep up with the ext on the rear! I’m going to set it to Marcel’s settings from the demo ride and then go from there.

a11y

Excellent. I see you’ve already improved the chainstay/seatstay protection – they’re noisy otherwise. I’ve recently discovered this is a decent, well-fitting downtube protector for our bikes, if you’re interested: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nukeproof-dissent-down-tube-protector?sku=105380769

Downtube

ta11pau1

Ahh yes, I’d read that was an issue. VHS slapper tape is on mine, I’m going to fit a bit of mastic tape on the underside of the chainstay as the slapper tape ends right on the edge and so I can see it getting lifted up with some dirt under it.

I’ve hopefully also pushed the dropper cable into the downtube enough to strap that rattling, I can’t stand a rattly bike! Hence the shrink tubed cables too!

singlespeedstu

Had a mystery rattle on my G1.
    Turned out to be the tyre insert I’d fitted had gone loose and was rattling in the tyre.🤣
    I’ve been running one of these for a very quiet drivetrain. https://stfubike.com/
    Only other thing thats made any noise is the coil rubbing on the spring perch as it compresses and rotates.
    Give the lads a shout and they’ll send you a couple of nylon washers to go between spring and perches that totaly silence it.

ta11pau1

Only other thing thats made any noise is the coil rubbing on the spring perch as it compresses and rotates.
    Give the lads a shout and they’ll send you a couple of nylon washers to go between spring and perches that totaly silence it.

Ooh, I’ll keep that in mind, ta. I’ve already attached the loose plastic washer on the shock to the foam ring with some double sided tape.

@a11y
    I’ve already got a rockguardz carbon downtube protector on order for that area.

tetrode
    Free Member

The rockguardz is great, I’ve got one of them on mine.

Also I installed some VHS tape and had to get a new derailleur at the same time and it was slapping all around the place even with the VHS stuff. Turns out the clutch wasn’t adjusted at all so even when it was ‘on’ it was ‘off’ so I had to tighten it up inside the casing and now it’s quiet as can be. Honestly not sure what the VHS tape does if it slapped around so much on mine!

honourablegeorge

If ever a bike didn’t need a downtube protector, it’s the G1.

tetrode
    Free Member

Yeah my riding buddy said the same thing until he dented it.

a11y

I need to get myself some replacement Geometron decals – for whatever reason, my G16 has Nicolai decals on the top tube. I know they ‘fit’ the bike, but should be Geometron. Definitely a ‘mk2’ G16 with the chainstay mutators, 148 rear end and slacker HA (and Mojo on the ST brace).

Black or tarty?

ta11pau1

Yeah just saves from any dents from rocks in that particular area.

ta11pau1

Black or tarty?

Gloss black. You’ve got a stealth thing going on there, while you’re at it get some stealth/blacked out DT Swiss decals too 😉

a11y

Gloss black. You’ve got a stealth thing going on there, while you’re at it get some stealth/blacked out DT Swiss decals too 😉

My thoughts too. However, rims – I want everyone to know I’ve sprung the £££ for DT Swiss rims, so nah 😉

seantemple
    Free Member

Have any G1 owners also ridden a HB916? soon to line up a demo of both and iterested to see how they compare.

sharkattack

Have any G1 owners also ridden a HB916? 

Looks like you’ve got the same shortlist as me!

I’ve got unfinished business with Geometron but I also like to try new things.

ta11pau1

Have any G1 owners also ridden a HB916? soon to line up a demo of both and iterested to see how they compare.

If I didn’t go for the G1 then the Hope would have been on the list along with the Deviate Claymore.

sharkattack

I’d consider a Deviate Claymore in black. It’ll probably be out by the time I’m shopping for a bike.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’m very HB916 curious at the moment and I’m keen to swing my leg over one to try. This would be to replace a G1 I’ve had for nearly 3.5 years now.

A few things I’d certainly miss from my Geometron are:

– The after sales support from Geometron has been fantastic.
    – The suspension set-up support from Geometron is worth a lot, I still regularly ask them questions and get good answers.
    – The frame is just so robust, mine’s had plenty of knocks and it’s just hilariously tough.
    – The raw finish is so convenient. For example, I don’t think twice about clamping it onto the roof of the car while it’s covered in mud or putting the chain-stay on my workbench to knock a bearing out without fear of losing some paint.
    – It’s so easy to work on. If I want to take the shock out or flip the travel flip-chip it’s all very accessible. Taking it apart to change bearings is easy. The cable routing is sensible.
    – Most other bikes (even modern ones) feel steep and strange when I ride them now.
    – It’s very adaptable. If I want to raise or lower the BB I can add or remove blocks from the seat-stay mutator. If I want to lengthen the chainstay I can change the chainstay mutator. If I want to run it mullet without affecting the geometry, no problem.
    – The two travel options are useful. I run 162mm most of the time and flip it to 175mm for uplift days and holidays.
    – The EXT shock is fantastic.
    – The bike is fantastic to ride.

… I think I’ve just talked myself out of changing 😀

ta11pau1

My frame came with 10mm and 6.5mm seat stay mutators, currently on the 10mm, std settings are 6.5mm for the XL but my fork has a higher A2C than the reference measurements at 384mm. Measuring the HA with an angle app on my phone on the stem bolts or stem cap it comes out as almost exactly 62.5 degrees, 345mm BB height and just over 1350mm wheelbase. Guessing the 6.5mm mutators would drop the BB by 10mm making it even slacker!

twistedpencil

Hopefully pushing the button on an XL next week after a great test ride…

Two questions, where is that little water bottle from @ta11pau1?

Also, bike racks. I suspect, no, I know the current bike rack isn’t going to hold a G1, my son’s medium stumpjumper only just fits, so who makes LLS bike racks? Ideally holding 4bikes….

I cannot wait to point it down the local routes!

ta11pau1

Hopefully pushing the button on an XL next week after a great test ride…

Two questions, where is that little water bottle from @ta11pau1?

Also, bike racks. I suspect, no, I know the current bike rack isn’t going to hold a G1, my son’s medium stumpjumper only just fits, so who makes LLS bike racks? Ideally holding 4bikes….

I cannot wait to point it down the local routes!

Nice, you won’t regret it!

The bottle is a YT Thirstmaster master 2000, fill out the form here https://uk.yt-industries.com/products/parts/ and they’ll create and order for you. Be sat down though when they do, the bottle and cage is £55.90 delivered! You can get the mounting bracket from Geometron.

For bike racks, my Buzzrack E-scorpion is long enough, but it’s only a 2 bike rack – you could always just turn the bars 180 degrees, this shortens the bike by about 10cm.

twistedpencil

Thanks @ta11pau1

Will experiment with the bike rack, and ponder the bottle at that price, hip pack is no real hardship!

ta11pau1

Will experiment with the bike rack, and ponder the bottle at that price, hip pack is no real hardship!

Yeah it’s expensive but I wanted a bottle for my local from the door rides, I end up wearing a hip pack just to carry some water otherwise!

On my hour night ride the other night I barely drunk a sip.

sharkattack

I’ve got a Buzzrack Buffalo which carries 4 bikes. It’s the dangly kind which holds the top tube. Wheelbase is irrelevant.

Before that I had a Thule 598 for the G16 which had a few mill to spare.

bedmaker

I was out on mine today, with a new addition, a Cane Creek Viscoset. I bought it for my bikepacking bike, but was interested to try it out on the G1 first.

Perceived Internet Wisdom™ tells us that slack bikes are slow steering, so a G1 is therefore going to be a barge. Those of us who actually ride them know that the wheel flop at slack angles can actually make the steering quite lively.

I liked it, it’s pretty subtle. I don’t think I’d shell out for it unless I was needing a new headset, but I’d get it if that was the case.

I also figured out a water bottle solution which seems to be working nicely 🙂

20221112-155455

ta11pau1

Interesting headset, basically a steering damper (not the same as the canyon system). It would help when trying to work on the bike on the ground, 1 degree off vertical and the bars try and smack you in the leg as it flops one way or the other 🤣

The flop at super low speeds when riding, well I’m already used to it.

bedmaker

Yeah, it was the low speed flop I was interested in with the headset. That wiggle when you’re nosing slowly into a narrow chute or rut.
    It doesn’t actually stop the flop when static, it just makes it very slooooooow.

ta11pau1

I’ve found I need to re-learn* trackstanding as the steering just wants to flop fully over when doing it!

*When I say “re-learn” I just mean learn, I was never that good at them…

singlespeedstu

@bedmaker
    I see you’ve got your EXT fork back.
    Has the bushings issue been sorted?

bedmaker

@singlespeedstu

Yeah, the Mojo guys fettled it and adjusted the damping tune too. I’ve not put much time on it since getting it back, but whilst it’s much better than before, it still feels distinctly meh considering the cost.
    I’ll see how it goes after a bit more time and adjusting settings.

singlespeedstu

@bedmaker
    I’m running mine way softer than the recommended pressures and also a huge amount more open on the damping.
    Out in Spain I had to slow the rebound down around four clicks but back home I’ve been speeding it up more as it’s getting colder.
    Give us a shout if you’re heading down Inners way. Be good to ride with you again without the Ronas.🙄

twistedpencil

Christmas has unexpectedly arrived a day early… already looking forward to boxing day 😀

singlespeedstu

Nice.
    What’s your setup?

twistedpencil

XL frame. Ext shock and forks. Hope V4 Tech 4 brakes, the new new hope dh pedals, SRAM GX, hope wheels. 213 Revive, I think I may end up launching myself off the bike after riding the 185 revive for so long 😀

Will possibly go to a mullet for the Mega, but I’ll see if I need to over the coming months, I need some switchbacks to practice on!

sharkattack

Congratulations I guess, not jealous at all!

I’ve been looking at used G1’s all week. There’s a perfect specimen available but I’m not ready to pounce on it. Now that there’s stock in the shops and decent sales on it’s tempting to start building.

I’ve never been very happy with my G16 replacement even though it’s perfectly adequate. It just doesn’t have that addictive ‘runaway monster truck’ vibe when you’re on the gas.

ta11pau1

First ride out on some proper trails today, nothing majorly steep or gnarly but a load of stuttery bumps and roots etc. A couple of 1-2ft drops/jumps to flat, which is fairly typical of my riding – the biggest drops I’ll ever hit will be maybe 3-4ft.

I’m running the G1 at 175mm, with a 375lb spring – I’m 74-75kg – and I’ve got the shock at the recommended settings we got to on my demo ride:

EXT shock settings:
    375lbs spring (tested), 350lbs spring for winter riding
    Low speed compression: 3 clicks from fully open
    High speed compression: 5 clicks from fully open
    Rebound: 4 clicks from fully open

I am on clips now Vs flats when I did the test ride, but that’s the only change.

I’m using pretty much all the travel on the Storia on these trails, the foam bumper and plastic washer are at or very close to the end of the travel, but I’m not feeling any sort of bottom out at all. To me, that seems like a bit too much travel being used.

My forks (mezzer pro @ 170mm) have about 40-50mm travel in reserve which is what I’d expect for these trails.

Now, thinking about it, Marcel did mention that the shock I demo’d was getting towards the limit of the compression tune and so my shock was specced with the ‘light’ high speed tune which would mean I’d need a click or 2 more high speed compression damping than I had set on the demo day, wouldn’t it? I would have added a click or 2 more today but I’d forgotten that it’s a spanner for that and I didn’t have one with me!

Just checked and I was set at 5 clicks from open which would be less high speed on my shock Vs the demo shock due to the lighter HSC tune.

seantemple
    Free Member

Is that 75kg kitted up Paul? looking at it i also ride fairly similarly to you although i have 400 & 425 springs. We worked of a riding weight of 80-82kg kitted up.

Currently only ridden with 400 in 175mm setting.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,081 through 2,120 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.