Viewing 24 posts - 2,121 through 2,144 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • ta11pau1

75kg with no riding gear, so fully loaded on a big day (3l water, bag, pads, food etc) probably more like 80kg.

On the demo ride I don’t remember there being many (any) drops and I remember the shock travel getting to about 75% travel.

I’m very much a wheels on the ground rider and ride a lot of ‘natural’ stuff in the lakes, Scotland etc.

The recommended spring for 80kg kitted up is 375lbs so it would seem right – I’ll treat again with the extra HSC and maybe order a 400lb spring for the ‘sendy’ bike park days 🤣

tetrode
    Free Member

Yeah I went one spring rate up from recommended and went a lot less on both compressions and I can’t complain at all. It sits a little higher which I like but still has all the insane small bump sensitivity, and I really only bottom out if I case a jump badly.

honourablegeorge

Were you in the 175 setting on the demo ride?

Normally need to go up a spring rate between 160 and 175

ta11pau1

Yeah 175mm on the demo ride.

Yeah I went one spring rate up from recommended and went a lot less on both compressions and I can’t complain at all. It sits a little higher which I like but still has all the insane small bump sensitivity, and I really only bottom out if I case a jump badly.

Good to know, I’ll keep an eye out for a spring – might actually see if anyone wants to swap a 350 for a 400 spring.

tetrode
    Free Member

Good to know, I’ll keep an eye out for a spring – might actually see if anyone wants to swap a 350 for a 400 spring.

If you’re in the Geometron Bike Owners Club group on facebook someone there might swap!

hazmo

Did your Storia come with 2 springs? Speak to GeoMetron as they will often swap one spring for another for the price of postage.

twistedpencil

I’m running a 400lbs spring for winter and I’ve got a 425lbs spring for the dry day due in August 🙂   I thought they all shipped with two springs (probably around 85kgs with kit).

I might put the 425 on ahead of the enduro season starting for me at Gisburn in April.

The bike keeps on surprising me with how capable it is, up and down, bloody love it!

ta11pau1

Yeah mine came with 2x springs, they all do.

Just dropped Marcel an email to confirm shock settings and get his thoughts on a heavier spring.

Is that at 175mm @twistedpencil ?

The bike keeps on surprising me with how capable it is, up and down, bloody love it!

Yep it really is, the trails I was riding aren’t steep but there’s lots of sections with massive roots and they’re quite fast so it can get pretty rough – felt fast on the G1 despite not having ridden properly for a few months!

twistedpencil

@ta11pau1 yep that’s the 175mm setting.

a11y

Sincere apologies given the source of the link, but **** yeah: Geometron G2 Pinion Gearbox Bike 2024.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Doesn’t look much different to my 2016 Ion GPI. It would be more newsworthy if they were using the motor gearbox unit. I don’t think the writer knows much about the subject either.

tall_martin

Looks mint, but £8000 is quite a chunk of change.

Still loving my G13 6 years on 😀AL_MBR_2182301-1536x1022

singlespeedstu

Was chatting to Sam from Geometron a few weeks back over Golfie.

He’s been riding that test mule bike that’s pictured and was absolutely raving about it.
    Said he preferred it in the setup pictured rather than the high pivot which that frame can also do.
    Might be interested in trying one with the new electric shift Pinion fitted but in no rush to swap my G1 at the moment.

tetrode
    Free Member

Looks mint, but £8000 is quite a chunk of change.

It is a lot but you’d probably save the difference in a few years just by not having to replace the drivetrain as often!

I’d love to have a go on one, but to be fair I’m still totally obsessed with my regular G1 just over 2 years on from getting it. Still feel no need to ever get another (non e bike) bike. I also demoed a load of ebikes at FODFest the other weekend and while they were amazing for blasting up the hills, not one of them felt anywhere near as fun going downhill as my G1.

nickc

From the article:

“The bike design is still the largest cost but the second largest cost is now the drivetrain. With SRAM T-type the second most expensive thing on your bike is now a wearable part. If you’re spending £2,000 on a drivetrain per year then the market is ready for a more robust drivetrain package you get more value for money from. A lot of people would rather spend £1,500 on a gearbox that’s got a 10,000 mile service life on it.”

Anyone here spending £2000 a year on their drivetrain? I like gearboxes (I don’t want one) but when you have to make shit up to sell them, it makes me sad.

a11y

It would be more newsworthy if they were using the motor gearbox unit.

I had the same thought. I see the attraction of an ebike for winch n plummet days out, but I’d want a Geometron one rather than compromise on anything else. This but with a combined gearbox/motor in a few years when I’m approching 50… that would be of huge interest.

I’m still totally obsessed with my regular G1 just over 2 years on from getting it.

Same as me, but G15 then G16 in place of G1. Even a swap to a G1 is too difficult to justify at the moment because of the amount of fun I’m having on my G16. This would need a hell of an incentive for me to swap to, but a gearbox might just about do it.

StuF

How does that chain tensioner get on for riding over log where you might normally hit your chain ring – looks to be right in the firing line.

sharkattack

I’d still rather have a G1 with GX Eagle.

Anyone here spending £2000 a year on their drivetrain? I like gearboxes (I don’t want one) but when you have to make shit up to sell them, it makes me sad.

Yeah that’s cobblers innit.

I thought I’d be back in the Geometron gang by now but I’d have to go used and there was eff all available when I was looking. Just the same handful of overpriced bikes up for months on end.

SirHC

How does that chain tensioner get on for riding over log where you might normally hit your chain ring – looks to be right in the firing line.

Its sprung loaded, so will move out of the way.

What they are eluding to is expensive mechs (an XT 12 speed it £100) hanging off the back of the bike which can then have the ability to trash a rear wheel if it goes through the spokes. People will buy XTR/XX groupsets which are mega money, so the cost of a gearbox is now no longer a blocking point (Rohloffs used to be significantly more than an X9/X0 groupset back in the day).

I’ve had my G1 for 3 years now, its been faultless, covered 3000miles and must over a million feet of descending. One set of frame bearings, two Zeb CSU’s. When the new bike comes out, I could be tempted.

mashr

StuF

It’ll get pushed backwards and then spring back to its start point. Roox did this years and years ago with the Roller Coaster chain guide

nickc

What they are eluding to […] so the cost of a gearbox is now no longer a blocking point (Rohloffs used to be significantly more than an X9/X0 groupset back in the day).

Sure, then just say that; “The upfront cost of pinion shouldn’t be the factor that makes you hesitate to try one of these bikes”. Choose them because they make sense for all the reasons that gearboxes do. Comparing them badly to SRAM systems that routinely last nearly as long (my mix of GX and XO1 got to 8,000kms and well over a year!), just makes the whole thing seem dodgy to me.

Also, how cool would it be to be able to buy a bike that had that many shock mounting options on it..?

HobNob
    Free Member

Anyone here spending £2000 a year on their drivetrain?

That is absolute guff of the highest order. I don’t think between the 6 or 7 bikes myself & my other half have we spend that collectively & that includes 2 full fat ebikes which get used & abused in the winter 😆

Even so, having ridden a Pinion, I’d happily spend £2000, not to ride one.

kelvin

Anyone here spending £2000 a year on their drivetrain?

Not spent that much in total on my drivetrain in over over 30 years of riding. Even including my brief flirtation with XTR kit. It baffles me that there’s a market for Sram Transmission stuff at all. Gearboxes do start to look better value in comparison.

tall_martin

I thought I’d be back in the Geometron gang by now but I’d have to go used and there was eff all available when I was looking. Just the same handful of overpriced bikes up for months on end.

There were a bunch for sale at half reasonable prices, they seem to be gone.

Viewing 24 posts - 2,121 through 2,144 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.