Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • plecostomus
    Free Member

Replied back to you cheers

singlespeedstu

hat weight are you?

90KG.
    My mate has also now had the same mod on his 36 and found it much better too.
    Just because this thread hasn’t had any pics for a while here’s one from yesterdays ride.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/VCsikb]About to feed the pony.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Chainline
    Free Member

I do like a nice Pic Stu.

I’m trying to resist the temptation to ask Piecostomus the why question.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Phil I’m selling it as I’ve ordered another one! Just got to wait to come back from the next two world cups and pick it up on the way home!

Chainline
    Free Member

@Plecostomus aaaaand relax 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

Anyone with the gearbox version had their belt tensioner wear in relatively few miles? Mine was getting rather sticky because the aluminium part had worn where it enters the nylon lined section. Trying to get a replacement from Nicolai but not had a response so far.

Gotama
    Free Member

Aside from that how are you getting on with the pinion? Tempted to see if BTR can make me a pinion hardtail.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I like the pinion, I’d happily have a hardtail to go with it (in fact if I had the cash I’d already have ordered one from Travers). More range than I need and I love the ability to change a load of gears in an instant even stationary. The benefit of less unsprung weight is real too but only on a suspension bike of course.

Big caveat though, have a go on one. You won’t have to google much to find people who don’t like the shifter, weight or price. They also moan about shifting up under power but I only find that a slight issue between 5th and 4th.

Shandy
    Free Member

Chainline is it 155mm max on the back with the 29er Geometron, or can it go longer? What sort of fork travel and head angle are people tending to go for? I’d probably go 29 both wheels I am loving the G13.

Chainline
    Free Member

Shandy, It depends which one….The G16 as a 29er is ideally only 155mm rear.

IF you want 170mm, which it’s capable of, then I’d suggest doing that as a custom due to the compromise in BB and SA at that travel.

155mm is spot on, but the longer shock creates a BB that is too high basically.

However, before doing that, if it doesn’t offend you, I’d suggest testing the hybrid 29/27.5 G16 setup.
    We think that gives all the big benefits of the 29 wheel without the downsides at the rear. The added bonus being if you want to run 155mm 29er rear you can, if you want to run 170mm hybrid you can, no change to front required, just switch wheel and shock/flip chip, BB and angles are spot on.

I’ll have a chat to Chris about a non custom full 170mm version.

Shandy
    Free Member

Thanks, I think it’d definitely be worth testing the hybrid. I don’t tend to mess with the bikes much once I have them set up so I can’t see me doing a lot of swapping between rear wheels. I am still a big fan of the G16 but I think the bigger wheels work well for me. 155 is great at home but I have a bad injury history and after 2 or 3 big days on holiday I start to get pretty beat up. I was looking at the longer shock on the G16 for the Alps this summer but I might just hold off and try a few things at BPW in the Autumn.

How do you like those Bravos? I have Traildogs on the G13 that I really like but I’d be tempted by the extra warranty on the big bike, I’m about to be on my third Flow in 3 months on the G16.

Chainline
    Free Member

I’m impressed with the bravo’s. Slightly sneaky 32h on my 27.5 wheels. Std set for the 29 wheels.

I’ve not used the rear 29 so much on the G16 but do on the G13.

I’m a huge fan of the hybrid, so have the mix. I really like the way the front steers at these angles with the 29 front.

I’ve only been using the ebike 29er fork which is slightly different internally and closer to the 40’s in stiffness. Still not a 40 but hey.
    I wont be using the 49 if available as std anyhoo as the offset is daft.

We’re using the 44mm offset on the 29’s at 61-62deg head angles and its lovely and as mentioned with the hybrid the back tracks nicely into a carve. The std 40 27.5 offset is too high I think. 49 fork is ripe for mods!

If we get the chance and the size is half right can always try my hybrid or speak to CP.

I’m the same on getting beaten up, thats why I ride the longer travel most of the time.

Wookster

Chainline, what’s your take on this? They even credit Chris Porter?

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/transitions-new-speed-balanced-geometry-2017.html

Chainline
    Free Member

CP knew they were looking to move forward yes, I’ve had a few chats with him about it, some cumminicado may have taken place…it’s not as far as we think is optimum but a step in the right direction..

I think I’ve mentioned the scary offsets in the WC right now. 60+ on the 49er fork I understand, crazy, I wanted less on my 40 than 51mm BUT with a 61deg HA.

My GeoMetron is a hair under 61deg with the 29er front and 44mm offset, it steers great low and high speed, why on earth anyone would want 60 on a DH bike with a sub 63 HA is beyond me…it’s like the early days of the 29er again in reverse

I can only imagine its due to the fork manufacturer is not closely linked with the bike mfrs overall..
    Of course Mojo has been able to offer these changes due to small production etc. and the fact we are always experimenting. I still have adjustable crowns in the garage…they might have to come out again for a 49 fork!

The 29 36 is easy to manage and you can convert the 27.5 180mm with 29 lowers to be able to run 44mm offset and 29 wheel or even 37mm. you can even keep it at 180mm but it’s a bit tall.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

oooh yes whats this new Nicolai?

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14889211/

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I’m having a new frame built, based on the pole geometry, so very similar to the geometric (if only my money stretched that far). I should be looking to get a fork with the smallest offset possible?

That new Nicolai looks lovely, I reckon that would be great on my local trails

Chainline
    Free Member

Howsyourdad, its the new, lightweight (for a Nicolai, short travel xc bike. Unfortunately they left traditional angles on it….

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yes just been to their website and looked 67 degree ish head angle. whats the world coming to!!?

honourablegeorge

It’s been on their site a while – the Saturn. Looks dissapointingly like a lot of other bikes, I thought.

https://www.nicolai-bicycles.com/shop/bike/saturn-11-raceline.html?___store=en&___from_store=de

blakec
    Free Member

Just putting my part list together for the geomotron.

What length of dropper post are people using on there bikes? XL or XXL size frames thanks.

Also what size is the seat clamp?

Rubber_Buccaneer

On my 2016 GPI it is a 34.9 seat clamp and a 31.6 seatpost. You should probably check with Mojo/Nicolai depending on who you are buying from in case it has changed.

For dropper length I went as long as I could and just about made a 170mm reverb fit by removing the connectamajig but mine is a ‘Long’ aka small. Measure carefully and get the biggest drop you can I’d say, why do anything else?

Chainline
    Free Member

Agree, big as you can. Most use the transfer 150mm, its good, reliable. But if you can Longer why not.

I think the XL and XXL may be 30.9. On a 34.9 clamp I’ll check.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I tried a pole the other. Was Lovely. Geomatron looks better though….

Chainline
    Free Member

I’m building up the proto Mojo GeoMetron NotSoLong for those between 145cm and 165cm.

There will be demo available in the not too distant but I’ll be looking to get a range of riders to test this one to get feedback, it will all be accompanied and during a day. I wont be loaning this one out for a period

I’ve been given the name of a lady enduro racer but if anyone is interested (either because they are interested in one or interested to help) can they message me.
    Can’t guarantee anything as I need to get a schedule together.

The initial build will be a trail build and with the 145mm travel setting with 160mm up front, but it will take any UK abuse with a rider up to 65kg.

If heavier I may need to change out the wheels but no big deal there if thats the case.

I’d really like to get some smaller/younger kids on it too of any ability from relative beginner but enthusiastic (probably how I’d describe my daughter) to good riders.

I want to understand how riders who don’t have preconceptions/ideas of how a bike should feel or aren’t really used to a shorter setup get on. i.e. do they just ride it and enjoy, adapt super quickly or not.

blakec
    Free Member

Buccaneer/chainline

Thanks for the replys

Chainline

Blake Jr is just a bit short for testing which is a shame as he loved Chris bike and didn’t want to hand it back.

noskills
    Free Member

170mm Reverb on my longest, its a long post overall but didn’t have any problems fitting it.
    In the spirit of fitting the longest you can, the Vecnum Moveloc is available again and comes in a 200mm version which Chainline had on his original custom FG Nicolai.

Chainline
    Free Member

blakec It’s a guide size at either end really.

Chris’ bike? The one that got temporarily built up?

At the end of the day I’m sized up. It’s the standover really thats the limiting factor and how we set up bar widths. There are only 2 of these so if he rode the other one…

blakec
    Free Member

Chainline

Sorry a bit miss leading Chris let him ride his own bike (the XL) around the carpark. It was way to big for him but he didn’t want to give it back.

Chainline
    Free Member

ah, makes more sense!! I’m not convinced it’s not too big for Chris! He was on the XXL. Perhaps he’s gone back. I’m seeing him at the weekend so I’ll check.

I thought you were on about the NotSoLong!

chastis
    Free Member

I’m going to buy a Ion g16 frame… but I’m 5’7′, so what is my correct size…S vs M?

Thanks!!

Chainline
    Free Member

chastis, if you can try one first. It’s a matter of personal preference.

I’d suggest the S, but you could easily set up the M to feel right. It depends on your riding style.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

new stuff!

Nicolai EBOXX och Geometron

All in Swedish mind

Rubber_Buccaneer

chastis I’m 5’8 on a long (small) and very happy but test ride is the only way to know for sure

duir
    Free Member

Anyone know which bike bags a longest Geometron will fit in? I know someone mentioned the Evoc bike bag with shock removed, are there any others?

honourablegeorge

My longest goes in an Evoc Pro no problem, just need air let out of the forks (180s)

Gotama
    Free Member

My XL G13 goes in the Chainreaction bag. Good bag for the money actually. Dithered about an evoc but only use it once a year and it was a fair bit more cash. This one….

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/chain-reaction-cycles-pro-bike-bag/rp-prod114204

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I can fit my large g13 in an evoc bag, I have to spin the forks 180° and take the caliper off, but it fits.

Paul-j

When your G16 longest goes back to MOJO for a remodel!

Paul-j

Chainline
    Free Member

doesnt seem to work Paul J?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.