Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • ta11pau1

Yeah they said they can also configure the g1 with 140mm if required, so many options.

And even at 162mm it’s ‘only’ 10mm more than my current bike on the rear, with 160 or 170 up front. But then also the option of going up to 170mm rear and up to 180mm front as my forks are a 30 min job to change travel… For those bike park/uplift days 😁

I’m finding the climbs I’m doing on these big days are generally either fireroad climbs, gentle to steep, or mega steep and/or technical.

tetrode
    Free Member

I’ve had mine set up 170mm front and back since getting it and haven’t had any desire to change it honestly. I took it to Dyfi Bike Park in March and it was incredible. Fast chunky stuff felt absolutely amazing.

spooky211
    Free Member

I changed up from a Banshee Prime to a G1 back in September after having a shot of a couple of mates G1’s. It’s definitely the most capable bike I’ve ridden, especially on the steeper, rougher trails. It takes some body English to get around tight switchbacks but it’s doable. I ride Aberfoyle, Dunkeld, Inners etc on it and it’s phenomenal on those types of trails.
    For those asking about bottle mounts, I’ve gone for a Fidlock mounted on the top-tube like this and whilst it looks a little unconventional it works just fine Sicklines

I run a mullet set-up with 160mm Lyrics and 162mm on the rear, will try a 29″ on the back at some point. As mentioned numerous times before the assistance from the Geometron guys is second to none, always there to assist with any queries you may have.

SirHC

Wheels and tyres will make a huge difference to how the bike rides. If I put my xc wheels on the G1, its not dissimilar in speed round the local xc loop than my 130mm trail bike.

I would pay more attention to the build than the amount of travel:
    -Do you need a Zeb? Would a Lyrik be ok

ta11pau1

I’ll be transferring the majority of parts from my current bike, so mezzer pro forks, E13 carbon wheels which have seen me through the last 2.5 years, they’ve a few battle scars but they’re straight and have taken all the abuse I give them, they’re also fairly light at 1750g, along with rimpact inserts and vittoria 1000g trail casing tyres – never *touch wood* had a puncture or rim ding in the 2.5 years with the bike.

So not a really burly build but not light either, in the middle – with light enough wheels/tyres to help with agility.

honourablegeorge

@tall_paul – Nicolai have just launched an XXXL version of the Saturn 14. That’s three ‘X’s – the reach is 678mm 🙂

a11y

@tall_paul – Nicolai have just launched an XXXL version of the Saturn 14. That’s three ‘X’s – the reach is 678mm 🙂

Calm yourself, you’ve read the stack rather than reach off the chart! Reach on the XXXL is ‘only’ 570mm 🙂

ta11pau1

🤣🤣🤣 was just checking this myself, yeah 570mm reach – same as the biggest Saturn 16/S1.

Still pretty big! Give it another 10 years and we’ll be on 678mm reach with a 95 degree seat angle and 58 degree head angles 😁

I’m getting that “3 year itch” with my current bike/frame, a G1 is winking at me. Just need to arrange a demo day once they’ve got an S1 in an XL size.

honourablegeorge

Ah, that’s no fun. 570 is all very normal.

a11y

G15 owners: any experience with coil shocks that aren’t the EXT Storia? (simply, EXT is waaaay beyond budget)

Thinking about trying a coil in place of my slightly squelchy X2. Something like the Cane Creek DB Coil IL or Marzocchi Bomber CR (Vanilla RC). 216x63mm / 8.5×2.5″ required. Haven’t heard much about Rock Shox coils, and Fox are quite spendy.

I’ve got my other bike for lighter work so not too fussed about adding weight if the performance makes it worthwhile.

ta11pau1

Cane Creek DB Coil IL

Can’t speak from a G15 point of view but I’ve had one of these on my jeffsy for a while (Aug 2020), zero complaints at all. If it fitted my next frame it’d be coming with me.

The climb switch stiffens both the low speed compression and rebound so you don’t get the pogoing with stiffer compression and normal rebound. It does have a slight ‘click’ when in climb mode but that’s completely normal. Tbh I only ever use climb mode on long tarmac climbs, so very rarely. I think I’ve gone 1 click different on LSC from the reccomend settings and never looked back. Handles long rocky fast lakes/Scottish descents with ease.

If you’re doing sustained, repeated, long rough descents you might want a piggyback but for my use it’s been fine.

singlespeedstu

Marzocchi Bomber CR

Not on any of our Geometrons but had 2x Bomber shocks piss oil everywhere on the Kenevos.
    Spech have warrantied them with different shocks now.
    Might be a problem with the way the linkage works on the Kenevo but worth bearing in mind.

a11y

@ta11pau1, thanks. That sounds positive and I’d read about the slight click that can occur. The lack of piggyback is only a minor concern – I’d love to claim I’m hammering long rocky descents weekly, but realistically the only time I’ll ever do sustained long descents is (very) occasional Alps trips, and even then its Les Arcs stuff rather than shredding bike parks. A friend has the same shock on a Deviate and has no issues using it out in the Alps, I need a chat with him.

a11y

Not on any of our Geometrons but had 2x Bomber shocks piss oil everywhere on the Kenevos.

Ah, the appeal of the Bomber CR to me has been it’s supposed reliability! That style of linkage – I think – puts quite a bit of sideways pressure on the shock, but I’ve heard the G15 is similar due to the linkage style and long seatstays. I know the shaft on the Marzocchi is aluminium while the CC IL has a steel shaft which should be harder wearing, so perhaps there’s more in favour of that.

singlespeedstu

Both times it was from the eyelet where it joins the shock shaft.
    Think it puts pressure on it where it’s screwed together.
    Both shocks had recalls before they finally let go.

a11y

Both times it was from the eyelet where it joins the shock shaft.
    Think it puts pressure on it where it’s screwed together.

That’s EXACTLY what a bloke from TF Tuned mentioned to me this afternoon when I was chatting about shocks. IIRC the side loads of some bike designs exacerbate this.

singlespeedstu

TBH I think its the way the end of the shock is mounted sideways on the Spech that causes it.
    G15 is mounted more traditionally so doesn’t have a huge lever bolted to the bottom of the shock.
    Just though I’d give my experiences in case it helps.
    Ext’s I’ve had on G13/16/1 have been very good. 😉

a11y

Ext’s I’ve had on G13/16/1 have been very good. 😉

LA LA LA LA LA I’m not listening, fingers are in my ears 😁

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Has anyone on here long shocked a g15? I have a 222×70 to go on in place of the stock 216×63, and I was just wondering what other changes you made. Increase of fork travel, offset bushings etc, and how it affected the rest of the geometry.

speedstar

Hi all
    Just wanted to say I have an XL G1 frameset with EXT storia for sale on Pinkbike if anyone is interested. Price £2000. PM me if interested.
    Thanks

a11y

Has anyone on here long shocked a g15? I have a 222×70 to go on in place of the stock 216×63

Give Geometron a call. I spoke to Sam last week about spring rate for a coil shock I have incoming for my G15. I briefly mentioned about long-shocking my G15 – TBH it wasn’t really something I’d seriously considered as the bike works great as is for me, but since I was replacing the shock I thought I’d at least ask. I believe clearance between tyre and ST becomes an issue unless you mullet it, but then that has further consequences on overall geometry (particularly the ST angle). Best giving them a call, Sam was really helpful.

ta11pau1

So the S1 is not to be, don’t think it was what they wanted it to be. Instead there’s going to be a G1ST package to make it 140mm rear/150mm front travel.

Makes my life easier as I would have been between the S1 and G1, fingers crossed the short travel kit uses the standard length shock, with that kit and a fork travel change the G1 will be 140mm, 160mm and 175mm travel all in one!

Will be interesting to see how the 140/150 option compares to the standard 160/170 set up, I’ll still be getting a proper test day in later this year.

honourablegeorge

Kind of odd, they showed pics of the complete bike and the geo charts, then decided against it.

Wondering where it broke down, they mentioned production schedules too, so not just the bike itself behind the decision.

G1 ST seems kind of pointless if it’s just the same frame running a shorter stroke shock.

honourablegeorge

@ta11pau1 – there are some G1 frames on sale on the Nicolai site……

ta11pau1

The bikes they had wasn’t exactly their version, for example they had the rivnuts/mounts removed as they see that as a weak point on the downtube.

Saw that sale @honourablegeorge but that’s a bare frame without shock, works out at £2180 – 2100 euros @ £1790 + 22%, you’d then need the ext storia at £950, without the Geometron goodness, which is £3150 pretty much. I’d rather pay the extra 150 quid to get the support of Geometron and the spherical bearings.

Edit – ahh, forgot that the nicolai site includes vat at 19%, so that’s actually 1764 euros £1500 + 22% = £1830 so £2780 total.

honourablegeorge

Don’t think you’d be paying German VAT, so take 20% off the 2100 first. You could get the shock from Geometron with the spherical goodness.

ta11pau1

Yeah, corrected that 😉😁

How do the Geometron guys treat frames/bikes bought from nicolai rather than the through them? If there was the full after sales support etc along with being able to get the shock from them then that’s perked my interest a little.

tetrode
    Free Member

Just send them an email or give them a call and ask! They’re really friendly and by far the most helpful bike company I’ve ever dealt with. I’m sure they’d be more than willing to offer support and parts.

ta11pau1

Issue 143 of the mag dropped through my letterbox just now, had a quick flick through and it magically fell open on Benji’s G1 mullet review, with the line below sticking out a little 😁

The Geometron G1 is the best mountain bike I’ve ever ridden

I’ll have a full read later on today.

a11y

I think he liked it…

Review: Geometron G1

Gah, I need to repeat to myself “I’m happy on my G15, I’m happy on my G15, I’m happy on my G15” 😁

twistedpencil

Read that yesterday, I think that’s the tipping point. Need to sort my pennies out…

Pretty sure he like it 😀

ta11pau1

Yep, almost tempted to order directly without a demo day, but I know spending a day with the guys will be hugely beneficial & I gather if you want stock colours (raw & black) you can take one with you on the day.

a11y

I gather if you want stock colours (raw & black) you can take one with you on the day.

I suspect guarantee I’d walk out of Geometron HQ with a new frame if I ever paid them a visit. Thankfully(?) we’ve changed our summer hol plans from Wales to Skye this year.

Saying all that, I’ve just fitted a new shock to my G15 and yet to ride it. Definitely not in a position for a G1. Yet.

Edit, TBH I’m happy with what I’ve got: most of the performance of a G1 but with my G15 frame (and now new shock) costing me <50% of a G1.

sharkattack

When my G16 was nicked I didn’t get enough insurance money to to cover a G1 so I decided to try something else instead of stretching the finances too far.

I should have stretched dammit! Got too much other stuff competing for my cash now.

When I got mine 5 years ago people used to look at it and laugh and make all kinds of assumptions about how horrible it would be to ride and how it wouldn’t go uphill or around corners etc. I spent all my time trying to tell people how normal it felt. Then when it got steep and rough it was in a league of its own.

I’d love to try a full 29er version now that I’ve converted to big wheels.

tetrode
    Free Member

Yep, almost tempted to order directly without a demo day, but I know spending a day with the guys will be hugely beneficial & I gather if you want stock colours (raw & black) you can take one with you on the day.

It’s a no brainer to do a demo with them if it’s not too much of a hassle to get there. The setup and their advice is really eye opening and when I did it I got a lot more out of it than just sitting on a new bike. It was a really good day. Plus if you do end up buying one you’ll already be familiar with the guys from your demo day which helps because you’ll constantly be picking their brains about something!

ta11pau1

It’s a no brainer to do a demo with them if it’s not too much of a hassle to get there. The setup and their advice is really eye opening and when I did it I got a lot more out of it than just sitting on a new bike. It was a really good day. Plus if you do end up buying one you’ll already be familiar with the guys from your demo day which helps because you’ll constantly be picking their brains about something!

I need to sort out a trip, unfortunately they’re a bit too far for a day trip (7hr round trip) so I’ll need to tie it in with a few days in south Wales or Dartmoor/Exmoor etc.

Also things like tweaking the geometry, my fork at 170mm is a bit longer a-to-c than the reference fork, but I think they can just throw the figures until their software and get the bike back to the correct geo.

I’m interested to see what the ‘ST’ pack includes, although I’m not sure I’d want/need it as I have a hardtail for when I don’t need loads of travel.

lion
    Free Member

Any Geometron owners got a spare 0 offset rado mech hanger they’d be looking to sell?

Clattered my mech off a rock yesterday, fortunately looks like the mech is ok but the hangers twisted.
    Will give Geometron a call for one next week just thought I’d try here first, thanks

ta11pau1

So, I had my demo day at Geometron HQ yesterday with Marcel. Rode an XL G1 set at 175mm travel and with a 170mm fork. Did the car park set up stuff then went off on an 2hr, 13km ride on the trails behind Geometron HQ.

Riding along on flat or on steady climbs it felt, well… Completely normal. The rear shock barely moved when climbing, didn’t need the lock out lever at all.

Doing some descending, on the steeper stuff I eventually started to weigh the front enough and the bike just oozed confidence and felt better and better the more I put weight on the front wheel when descending.

Overall it didn’t feel massively cumbersome or even that big, apart from the slightly strange steering at very slow speeds and being able to see ALL of the fork out in front of the bars, I wouldn’t have know it was that big of a bike. But on the descents and especially on the steep stuff it started to come alive. Didn’t do much faster rocky stuff but the short, steepish section we did it felt excellent.

In short, I’ll be ordering one in a few weeks once I’ve got the jeffsy stripped to a frame and put up for sale! 😁

a11y

Excellent. Although that’s exactly why I’m not planning to test ride a G1!

Saying that, I took delivery of a Longest G16 frame yesterday and going to swap everything over from my XL G15. Saw it at a good price, was curious. At 187cm I’m keen to try the slightly smaller frame – a 15mm reduction in reach. Was also curious about more travel given I’ve got my Saturn 14 at 140/130 for trail duties. Initially it’ll be 155mm with my 216×63 shock, full 29, but I’ve got the bits to build a 27.5 rear wheel and run it at 175mm if I get a 222×70 shock. Or might just mullet it at 155mm. It’s a good 2deg slacker HA too. Options options options.

I’ll keep whatever frame I prefer, sell the other.

ta11pau1

Honestly I’ll probably just leave the bike in the 175mm travel setting, didn’t feel wallowy or bad when just pedalling along.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.