• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,601 through 6,640 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

More good stuff from the Chiefs this morning. They’re really setting the standard at the moment:

[video]https://youtu.be/4noGUrsPdbk[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Watching Fiji v S Korea in the lounge at HKG. One way traffic, unsurprisingly.

But, when did Ben Ryan become head coach of the Fijian Sevens squad? Good for him!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

when did Ben Ryan become head coach of the Fijian Sevens squad?

Since 2013 IIRC.

duckman

Wasps v Chiefs, best game I have seen this year. Find it and watch it!

IdleJon

Dragons beat Glos, so through to semis. (V Montpellier.) Glos didn’t look very good – are they normally like that?

Saracens v Northampton – why do I dislike both of these teams so much? It’s very difficult to get involved in a match when I want both to lose. 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

If anyone has a spare 80, here is the chiefs/wasps game. Very much recommended. As duckman says, it was an absolute cracker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZZghSABifA&feature=youtu.be

jambalaya
    Free Member

going to be a good ‘un

jambalaya
    Free Member

Starting to feel like a Toulon home game, God bless the TGV 🙂

Nous sommes la, nous somes la, nous sommes la les Toulonais

mefty
    Free Member

Good interview with Lancaster on Sportsweek this morning (Radio 5), he really does come across as a superb human being.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mefty yes read a few quotes looking forward to hearing whole thing, time will tell but imo he was not strong enough to stand up to Farrell snr

10-10 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hard to think Racing will win away, windy day made it hard for kickers and not a lot a lot to chose between the sides with neither looking really sharp. My money is on an all English final Saracens v Leicester

duckman

Without wanting to upset A-A, who has Coach’s kid at Wasps declared for? Looks like a good un! Mind you Waldron has scored most tries in the prem this year,hasn’t he? Deadly from 6 feet,but they all count.

wrecker
    Free Member

Played for wales U-20s so I think he’s locked in?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Now, for some time, I’ve thought we could speed up conversions. One idea of mine was that if the try was within x-yards of the posts, it should be a drop kick attempt.

Watching the HK7s highlights at the moment and in 7s it’s all drop kick conversions. Loads of them going over from near the touchline. So….

All conversions to be dropped kicks?

Discuss. Or not. I mean, it’s totally up to you.

DanW
    Free Member

Completely agree CFH, but I’d add an option to gain an extra point too. Conversions should be worth 1 point with an added 2 points on offer for style. As an example… Anyone does the Biggarena, before dropping the ball sweetly through the middle and hitting Chris Ashton square in between the eyes can score the full 3. Will it catch on ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Would degrade value of tries in the corner and make central penalties nearly as valuable as a try. Thats assuming its still 3 vs 5 + 2. Alternatively tries are a straight 6 or 7 and pens 3 with no conversions

IdleJon

Alternatively tries are a straight 6 or 7 and pens 3 with no conversions

That takes the game even further from its roots, which were to ground the ball so that you could score more points by kicking, I seem to remember. 🙂

Talking about dropgoals, I do think that missed DGs should be treated like any other kick, in that if they go dead a scrum will be awarded to the opposing side from where the DG attempt was made. I hate speculative DGs!

mefty
    Free Member

That takes the game even further from its roots, which were to ground the ball so that you could score more points by kicking, I seem to remember.

You only scored if you kicked the conversion, hence the terminology try.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The back-from-the-point-of-scoring conversion is something I wish was transferred to NFL touchdown conversions, which are all taken from behind the post.

dantsw13

Id like to see penalties reduced to 1 or 2 pts, but with more use of sin-bins for cynical infringements.

bigblackshed

As said above, a “touchdown” didn’t score any points, it awarded the team “a try at goal”.

The beauty of the penalty at 3 points is it keeps team honest in their own half. Nearly all international kickers have a range within half of the pitch. By reducing the points it would encourage foul play everywhere.

A drop goal isn’t the same as a kick gone dead, because the ball touches the ground before it is kicked its treated the same as a grubber kick. 22 dropout.

Certainly speed up conversions, give the kicker 30 seconds rather than 60. Stops all of the ritual jigging and grass throwing.

mefty
    Free Member

The back-from-the-point-of-scoring conversion is something I wish was transferred to NFL touchdown conversions, which are all taken from behind the post.

In the original game of Rugby Football, tries were scored between the posts so the goal attempt was always taken in front.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Indeed. And AFAIK, in American Football rulebooks, a touchdown is still referred to as a try…I think…as it also allowed a team a kick at goal…need to check up on that…it has changed a lot since.

How about rugby borrows from NFL and offers an extra point conversion for running the ball over the line instead of the kick? 😀

IdleJon

Indeed. And AFAIK, in American Football rulebooks, a touchdown is still referred to as a try…I think

The ancient St Helens scoreboard still shows Trys and Goals – converted trys.

duckman

You have a minute for a conversion,what’s that; one re-set Scrum? The climax of the Wasps game has left me a fan. As said, cast your mind back a few years,opo team were going through phases and making ground, somebody would fall over and kill the ball once they were inside the 22. Despite the shoe’ing all it would cost is 3 points. Now it is three and 10 mins,so it has improved the game as you are less likely to do it.

anagallis_arvensis

Rugby’s gradual decline to chavball gains pace with Watsons 2 weeks for verbal abuse of the 4th official…still at least he will be available for England this summer!!

dantsw13

My pet hate these days is players whinging to the ref for penalties all the time. Biggar does it a lot.

Tom-B
    Free Member

http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2016/04/nigel-owens-telling-off-parisse-not.html?m=1

. …agree a_a, and ^Parisse has got plenty of previous too…..

sadmadalan

I think that something needs to done about a) the amount of times at penalties/conversions and b) reset scrums

For a) I would just like the rules to apply. You have one minute from the time of the whistle to the time that it must be taken. If the clock is stopped (injury, TMO review) then the whole set up should be done while time has stopped and you have 10 seconds to take it after time has restarted.

For b) apply the rules. Scrums should not push until the ball has gone in and binding must not be on the arm. These are the rules, just apply them. Any prop boring in should get a yellow card. Problem will stop overnight.

And for any player appealing for a penalty. Give one – against them for referee abuse! It would stop immediately.

Watson should have had a longer ban – once you have a card (rightly or wrongly) just leave the pitch. The ref is right – you may or may not agree with the decision but for this match they are never wrong.

DaRC_L

sadmadalan + 1

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

love the nige clip

DanW
    Free Member

And for any player appealing for a penalty. Give one – against them for referee abuse! It would stop immediately.

When was the last time you saw another 10 meters given on a penalty too

Stoner
    Free Member

and for b) Id add straight put in and hook for it.

Anyway, getting all geared up to take Jr to Warriors vs Wasps on Saturday.
    Probably last time we get to sixways this season.
    Im expecting to get a shoeing, but you never know….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Back watching 7s in the lounge at HKG again! Just seen France hammer NZ. To nil.

A question – is the ball at the 7s tournaments a different shape to 15s? Looks rounder to me (Could just be the strength of the excellent Bloody Marys the barman has been mixing this morning though! 😳 )

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

– once you have a card (rightly or wrongly) just leave the pitch. The ref is right – you may or may not agree with the decision but for this match they are never wrong.

Larry Dayglo deserves credit here. I forget the game, but remember him being sent off rather harshly. He jogged off, and the only reaction was an almost Roger Moore-esque eyebrow raise as if you say, ‘dafuq?’

Take the decision. Get off the pitch.

As the great Nige said, this is not soccer.

anagallis_arvensis

Guess the decision in the joke12 this week.

Stoner
    Free Member

oof. Mind you, as he says, at least he only got hit by a 14. Got right back up again 🙂

Stoner Jr took a bet with Granddad last night on Chiefs destroying Glos by >10. Oh dear. At a £ a point on the spread, that’s going to put a big dent in his Lego fund….

What do the STW armchair refs think of young Maxwell-Keys?

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/premiership/referees/maxwell_keys.php#Yty3hWqJzZFpcvOv.97
    He didnt do much wrong in the game last night, it was a pretty rubbish one anyway. Can’t help but feel that the matches under him fail to flow though.

anagallis_arvensis

Obviously you are all struggling with the McFadden tackle so for reference here is a similar effort of his from Feb…got a yellow…..best thing the **** ever did was get put on his arse by North!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mR6uFrfhC_w[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surely it should be McFadden with all those shoulder pads?

Nasty cheap shot tackling there. Not that it’s tackling, really.

anagallis_arvensis

Anyway the incident from last night was only deemed worthy of a pen…if he was Samoan it would have been a ( quite rightly) a red.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,601 through 6,640 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.