• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,641 through 6,680 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • Stoner
    Free Member

As I took my seat at Sixways yesterday afternoon, I leant over to my mate and said, “I know we’re (Worcs) probably going to get a shoeing, but I’m really looking forward to watching Mr. Wade run”.

After his second try, I added “I think I’ve seen quite enough of Mr. Wade now”.

He is quite brilliant.
    After one of his tries I was left wondering how the hell he got from a breakdown on one touchline to score at the corner of the opposite one faster than the ball that didn’t stop moving and doing it invisibly – like the sleight of hand of a magician!

Got to be slot at Rio for him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36029997

A fantastic game in the spring sunshine. Worcs playing some of the best handling rugby I’ve ever seen at 6ways. Very little in the way of ball handling errors: the interception tries really being as much as a result of the backs working more attacking lines. Just not always nailing them 🙂

And even Mr Doyle had an OK day…except for that forward pass…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The Rugby Paper is reporting that Sale have signed Mike Phillips to replace the retiring Chris Cusiter.
    Not sure how i feel about that, he’s a good player for sure, but yet agsin we sign a player with ‘issues’. It worked out for Cipriani, turning him from damaged goods to a player wanted by the in form club in Europe, but spiky??

jambalaya
    Free Member

@stoner, read the report and looking forward to finding the highlights

anagallis_arvensis

I’d be more concerned about his age!!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

There is that too! He’ll be 34 in August – mind you, Stringer isn’t slowing down any is he?
    Spiky will be playing 2nd fiddle & I expect to see James Mitchell playing more of a role next season as well.

anagallis_arvensis

Stringer is about as different a 9 as you could get. Phillips game is based around physicality which has waned. He’ll be ok as back up though I suppose, expect lots of hanbags with opposition forwards!!

DanW
    Free Member

Phillips doesn’t have issues… he is just small man with small man syndrome trapped in a back row’s body 😆 Off the pitch he belives his own hype but isn’t that bad really once you get past the swagger. Can’t see him being especially great value for whoever he plays for but you could do worse I suppose

Tom-B
    Free Member

Is it Spikey that told his international replacement ‘Congratulations you’ve retired a legend’or have I dreamed that?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well that’s 5 points from Bath thank you very much!

onehundredthidiot

So a couple of questions about laws of the game.

The squeeze ball, thought it was a no no but it’s back in fashion. Surely sealing the ball off.

Blockers to the 9 box kick. Deliberately stepping into offside position to block runners from behind the back foot.

onehundredthidiot

Mmmm appears the ref forums discuss the squeeze ball not allowed U18/19. Debate is whether it is bridging or not.

anagallis_arvensis

Depends which laws are being reffed that week.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Strangest fixture scheduling ever ?

Top 14 playoff final will be held at the Nou Camp in Barcelona on the 24th June 😯

Capacity 98,000 and I foresee a half empty stadium (came across this as I was searching for tickets / dates at the Stade de France). Explanation given is that RWC pushed season back and Euro 2016 means SdF is not available

linky

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cipriani double the legal limit when the crashed to the taxi at 5am – “allegedly”

BBC reporting of court case

jambalaya
    Free Member

More coverage here including an inference that Cipriani was given an extra 50 minutes to “sober up”

Telegrapgh

Stoner
    Free Member

from @CourtNewsUK on twitter (well worth following BTW):

CourtNewsUK ?@CourtNewsUK 2h2 hours ago Paddington, London
    Danny Cipriani’s lawyer claims the officer who dealt with him at the station was a rugby fan who purposely delayed his second breath test.

CourtNewsUK ?@CourtNewsUK 2h2 hours ago Paddington, London
    The officer admits chatting to Cipriani about rugby as they waited for the breathalyser to load but said he wasn’t given special treatment.

jambalaya
    Free Member

For all those who think I am overly negative on him this is why he’s not selected for England, he’s supremely talented but that’s not enough

mefty
    Free Member

Top 14 playoff final will be held at the Nou Camp in Barcelona on the 24th June

It is a lot closer to the traditional heartland of French rugby than Paris, albeit the centre of gravity has changed alot in recent years.

surfer
    Free Member

For all those who think I am overly negative on him this is why he’s not selected for England, he’s supremely talented but that’s not enough

Disgraceful if true but you didn’t need this news to be overly negative about him. Seen every home game this season bar Montpellier (Surfer junior was 18 that day) and he has been a model professional, except for his kicking being shit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I appreciate that and it was probably a big factor but it still seems a bit nuts to me. I haven’t checked whether there is a Euro 2016 match on in Nice that weekend but that’s nice new stadium although not large. Lyon is hosting the ERC but that’s definitely being used.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@surfer – I’ve heard enough “rumours” to not be surprised about the drink driving incident. As I have said many times I’d kill to be half as talented at any sport as he is at rugby, that’s probably the thing that frustrates me most about him. I was (or am) hardly tea total but given a shot at playing for England I think I could abstain.

I am sure he’s been the model professional on the field (he had another good game at the weekend it seems) but its always been about off the field with him

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Surfer – by the time it all comes to a conclusion he’ll be Wasps ‘problem’.
    Personally, if he’s guilty then take his license away for a good long time. No excuses about drink driving, but still his talent speaks for itself.
    The reason he hasn’t been picked for England is his poor kicking stats, they aren’t anywhere near high enough.
    He completely outplayed Ford yesterday, although to be fair young Ford was going all out to show himself up without any help. I knew it wasn’t Ford’s day when he kicked out on the full from the kick off & then seemed to hide the rest of the game – he had a fairly poor day with the goal kicking too for a current International player.

wrecker
    Free Member

Grates a bit if he knows he was drink driving and hasn’t just taken the ban on the chin. Everyone else seems to just consider it as a tax for breaking rule 1 and (hopefully) learns from it.
    I keep hoping to see a new dawn from Cipriani, but he keeps letting everyone down.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think Cip’s exclusion from the international squad has as much to do with his age as anything else* – he’s a bit old now to be putting into the squad at the beginning of this cycle. Best to try and develop the FHs they have into something that might help them win a game against SH opposition in a RWC.

* I also think Lancaster wasn’t the kind of guy to take a risk on Cipriani. If he was younger, I think Jones is the kind of guy who would. But the ship has sailed for him now. Sale have had good service from him and I imagine Wasps will too – as long as he can behave himself back in London. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wasps will too – as long as he can behave himself back in London.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Whereas in Coventry he’ll be bored stiff?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Whanau

jambalaya
    Free Member

Chippy was supposed “tearful and upset” when arrested, couldn’t stand or speak properly. I think that’s what Private Eye calls “tired and emotional”. After a test of 67 vs 35 I am at a loss as to why he’s pleaded Not Guilty

Telegragph

thegreatape
    Free Member

Sounds like they are going to try and claim that procedures weren’t followed.

EDIT – I was close…from the BBC.

Philip Lucas, defending, told the court there was not “sufficient” evidence the breathalyser test in the police station was working properly and called for the case to be dismissed.

The move came after the prosecutor and district judge raised concerns that legal proceedings were being “filibustered” and the case “derailed” by “unnecessarily complicated” legal submissions made by Mr Lucas.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@thegreatape – yes just read that – “lack of evidence” says the defence

Taxi Driver says he was drunk, I imagine his passanger may have given evidence too although I haven’t read about that
    Police station officers say he was drunk
    Breatherliser failed with a reading at 67 vs limit of 35

I wonder if Cirpriani has or had any contractual terms about drinking issues which could be quite likely given his history. A good chance he could face wage penalties/clawbacks from Sale as well as Wasps. Sportspeople tend to be quite leniently treated for such things, I know companies where Drink Driving (at any time) is Gross Misconduct

thegreatape
    Free Member

The ‘lack of evidence’ his lawyer is arguing is that there isn’t sufficient evidence that the machine was working properly. Without knowing exactly what they’re arguing it’s hard to comment on the merit of that argument, but the machines check and calibrate themselves every time they’re used, and also flag up to the operator any irregularity in the results that might indicate an error. In those circumstances the police take a blood or urine sample, and since that appears not to have happened here it’s reasonable to conclude that the machine appeared to be working just fine. But as I say, I don’t know what they’re arguing, could be something in it, could be clutching at straws.

jambalaya
    Free Member

clutching at straws.

this !

thegreatape
    Free Member

Read some of barrister Philip Lucas’s other cases and make your mind up!

anagallis_arvensis

Whanau

?

anagallis_arvensis

3 week ban for McFadden. So thecref and video tef reviewed it and didnt even think it was a yellow!! Hope those **** are banned too

IdleJon

Lyn Jones parted company with the Dragons, because of illness. Possibly because everyone is sick of him? 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

A rugby union player has been banned for 14 months, effectively ending his career, after he was found guilty of verbally abusing a referee after being sent-off.

Silvere Tian, an Ivory Coast-born full-back who plays for French Top 14 side Oyonnax, was shown a red card by international referee Romain Poite during a league game against Grenoble on 2 April. Tian was initially sent to the sin-bin by Poite, but after being verbally abused and threatened Poite deemed the offence worthy of a red card and sent-off the 35-year-old.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/club-rugby/silvere-tian-ban-oyonnax-rugby-player-given-14-month-ban-for-verbally-abusing-and-threatening-a6994406.html

That’s a hefty sanction. There will be the inevitable comparison with other sanctions (or non-sanctions) but it shouldnt always be relativistic. His behaviour warranted it IMO.

DanW
    Free Member

The French ban isn’t that hefty as he reportedly went after Poite again after the game yet most of the media is describing the incident as a single costly moment of anger. It is however harsh if you consider this one incident is worth a longer ban than a career of Hartley’s naughtiness (just!) 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wrecker thanks for that, justice done.

Looking forward to the weekend’s ERC semis – Saracens v Leicester final I think

Viewing 40 posts - 6,641 through 6,680 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.