• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 36 posts - 7,361 through 7,396 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Really dumb decision to go wide there by Ireland. Probably cost them the game and the series. Disappointing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36628592

Japan playing glorious rugby. Simply glorious.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Well, after the RWC debacle it’s been a pretty good time for English rugby.

Grand Slam, 3-0 sweep in Australia, Saxons winning the series in SA, Saracens winning the European Cup and the U20s winning the World Championship.

Not too shabby. 😀

langylad
    Free Member

Indeed. And don’t forget the 3-0 whitewash of Australia. 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

It’s been a good few months for English rugby. Eddie Jones seems to have made a big impact; people say it’s not the coaches etc, but we’e better under Jones than Bomber.

The future looks pretty good too. Went to watch the U20’s yesterday. It was a thoroughly good day with some great rugby played. Mallinder looked pretty darn good and a slight cut above the other players but that’s not surprising given that he’s getting regular first team rugby.

Thought the Argentinan team looked bloody good too and took apart a very physical, direct SA team.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

we’re better under Jones than Bomber.

No kidding.

SL had exactly the same players available for the RWC that EJ has now but he chose to leave out Itoje (although he was ready) and he refused to pick Hartley as he was banned for the Fiji game.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As much as I’ve enjoyed the international season post RWC its a phoney period of rebuilding. The only real tournament that matters is the RWC and the next one is in 2019

tallie
    Free Member

Japan playing glorious rugby. Simply glorious.

Concur – sublime.

grahamt1980

That is a beautiful try. The offload was cracking. I so hope Japan keep on improving, with them and Argentina getting better and better, world rugby is looking good for a little while now

namastebuzz
    Free Member

As much as I’ve enjoyed the international season post RWC its a phoney period of rebuilding. The only real tournament that matters is the RWC and the next one is in 2019

Well it takes years to build a RWC winning side and England have made a good start.

Nothing phoney about winning a grand slam or beating Australia in Australia. If only the RWC matters then why do the players bother trying so hard in the 6N, Summer Tours and Autumn Internationals? 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not quite the exceptional match we saw in Sydney but a tough high quality game (full match here not sure of there are highlights somewhere). Barcelona venue worked stadium looked pretty full. Top 14 final Toulon v Racing (L’Equipe suggested it was the best final of the mdoern era)

[video]https://youtu.be/lcroI9kXzOA[/video]

namastebuzz
    Free Member

99,124 at the Camp Nou – a world record for a game of club rugby.

It was an engrossing match. When Machenaud got sent off I thought Racing were toast and at several points during the game it looked like Toulon would steamroller them but they stuck in there. Great effort.

Apparently no-one had told the players beforehand that the tournament didn’t matter! 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

Wow it looked full but I thought it couldn’t be as capacity is 100k. I am generaly supporting Toulon but after the red card I wanted to see Racing win, epic match.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I am generally supporting Toulon but after the red card I wanted to see Racing win, epic match.

Me too.

I haven’t followed Toulon quite so keenly since Wilkinson retired and now the Armitages are leaving too there’s no English interest. I think they’ve lost their way a bit in terms of recruitment. They seem to chase any big names – regardless of whether they’ll fit with the team or not.

duckman

What are the reasons for the Armitages going?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I don’t know, I couldn’t find much. Delon signed for Lyon in March and Stefan for Pau in May. I guess its to do with age (Delon 33, Stefan 30), and Half Penny is clearly first choice at 15 for Toulon. Maybe Stefan got a better contract.

duckman

Has Stefon(sp) not been player of the year two out of the last three? I am also amazed nobody in the prem didn’t take a punt on him, he would still be around at the next WC

andermt
    Free Member

Has Stefon(sp) not been player of the year two out of the last three? I am also amazed nobody in the prem didn’t take a punt on him, he would still be around at the next WC

Wasps had a proper punt at getting him in the Prem but he went for the French money.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ thats what I read. After 5 years in the sunshine of the South of France I think the lure of the UK is limited particularly when an England place isn’t a factor. I think there is no team salary cap in France either. Stefon had a decent game and looked more mobile than I remember him.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Wasps had a proper punt at getting him in the Prem but he went for the French money.

I think he had a year left on his Toulon contract so there was a hefty transfer fee involved as well. Pau seem to have a lot of cash to splash and, TBH, I’d rather live in Pau than Coventry.

Delon has gone to Lyon, who also seem to be joining the big spenders.

dantsw13

I wonder if Fardy will get cited after the sat match? I’ve just rematches the match – just before the Vunipola try, Robshaw steals the line out and charges for the line. He is held up, but Fardy grabs him round the neck, and tries to rip him off by his ear. Robshaws ear was bleeding after. Nasty.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@namaste seems to have a substantial lead in the French Rugby knowledge stakes !

namastebuzz
    Free Member

@namaste seems to have a substantial lead in the French Rugby knowledge stakes !

I’ve obviously got far too much time on my hands!

Still, there’s the Olympic 7s coming up and the RC and the end of the Super Rugby season. PLenty to keep us going…..

DanW
    Free Member

I wonder if Fardy will get cited after the sat match?

It seems that the ruling on this one has been relaxed a little lately as almost everyone was at it over all Tests

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I think we should take a moment to compare and contrast the determination, fortitude, skill under pressure, organisation, team spirit and professionalism of our English national rugby and football teams.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A moment is all it would take, its a one sided drubbing. Perhaps there is something in this upper class, private school elite stuff after all 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Luke Fitzgerald retires shame he was pretty useful

Stoner
    Free Member

Dean Ryan leaving Warriors

That’s unexpected 😯

but I see rumour he’s going to Bath…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hum, I wonder if he’s considered rehabilitaed now ?

anagallis_arvensis

After a grim summer tour to New Zealand, where Wales lost all four of its matches, the Welsh Rugby Union has publically released the findings of its post tour analysis report.

DezB
    Free Member

Crusaders v Rebels…,surely someone must feel a little bit sorry for Australian players??! 😯

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Good old East Terrace – they also had an amusing piece on the #hayneplane:

“Being the first to lift that trophy and get my face in the papers and represent the lads was special,” said the San Francisco 49er Fijian sevens player. “It made all the eight minutes of sacrifice, pain and effort this season in the sevens worth it. It’s moments like these that make you get up in the morning and switch football codes.”

Hayne’s journey to World Sevens glory with Fiji is a Rocky like rise to success that blazes a trail for anyone who dares dream of playing for one nation in one sport, then to swap nations in that sport, then to play another sport entirely, then to swap sports again and then to aim for a spot in the Olympics.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Crusaders v Rebels…,surely someone must feel a little bit sorry for Australian players??!

Just watched the first half – if the Rebels were a pack of mangy dogs, a vet would’ve put them down by now…….

10 mins into the 2nd half – three more tries 64-7!

DezB
    Free Member

And Stephen Moore’s face yesterday after the Brumbies got hammered. Poor fella, looked even worse than after the England tour! 😥

namastebuzz
    Free Member

What a pasting for the Aussie sides from the Kiwis so far this weekend:

Blues (bottom of NZ conference) 40 – 15 Brumbies (top of Oz conference)

Reds 5 – 50 Chiefs

Crusaders 85 – 26 Rebels

Looks like the NZ sides are gearing up nicely for the play-offs. The joke is that the Lions might end up as top seed with home advantage by virtue of having a somewhat easier fixture list whilst the NZ teams have had to knock seven bells out of eachother – twice each.

WillH

Yeah, there have been rumblings in the press here about having to play the toughest* teams twice. Bringing in the new teams can only be a good thing, in a wider view of the sport, but the current format is pants. I think the table shows it all – even the Blues, who have had a shit season, look like they could make the payoffs.

*in their own opinions, but probably true.

Viewing 36 posts - 7,361 through 7,396 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.