• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,561 through 6,600 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Marler’s just making a reverse charges call to Panama as we write.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nah, he’s a posh **** – he will get his “man” to arrange the transfer

anagallis_arvensis

Lee get for passing it off as excusable banter?

Nice to see you blame the victim! What about The Hask for saying therecwas nothing in it?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

AA, so the SOH still hasn’t arrived

Lighten up, in the words of your illustrious coach, “its only banter” 😉

anagallis_arvensis

so the SOH still hasn’t arrived

?

anagallis_arvensis

So I wonder what the last paragraph will lead to?

Joe Marler has been suspended for two matches and fined £20,000 to be paid to a suitable equality charity in the UK after an independent judicial committee upheld a misconduct charge against the player at a hearing in London today.

A misconduct charge was brought by World Rugby against Marler in relation to a breach of Regulation 20 and the code of conduct, for comments made towards Samson Lee during the England versus Wales RBS 6 Nations match at Twickenham on 12 March.

Regulation 20 and the code of conduct both cover statements that are unsporting and/or insulting and/or discriminatory by reason of race or ethnic origin, which bring or have the potential to bring the game into disrepute.

The charge was admitted in its entirety by Marler and upheld by the independent judicial panel comprising Terry Willis (chair, Australia), Jean-Noël Couraud (France) and Alan Hudson (Canada).

Following a full review of all the evidence, including a detailed analysis of the broadcast feed, referee microphone, statements and submissions on behalf of Marler by his representative Mark Milliken-Smith QC, and World Rugby, the committee found:

1) That Marler had used unsporting and discriminatory language towards Lee

2) That by his actions, Marler had breached World Rugby Regulation 20 and the code of conduct and brought the game into disrepute

3) That Marler was proactive in apologising to Lee at half-time during the match and that he subsequently issued a public and unreserved apology for his comments

4) That Marler is a person of good character and had no similar misconduct charges

In respect of the sanction, pursuant to Regulation 20.10.1 (c), the committee determined the breach was serious and imposed a two-match suspension, and pursuant to Regulation 20.10.1 (b) that Marler pay a fine in the form of a donation of £20,000 to a suitable equality charity in the UK.

Marler is therefore free to resume playing on 18 April and he has a right of appeal within seven days of notification of the full written decision.

Unlike in cases involving foul play, decisions of misconduct cases are ordinarily reserved until the full written judgement is available given their nature and complexity.

However, the committee has taken the proactive step of issuing its short-form, oral decision to provide certainty to all the parties in the interim, given that the publication of the detailed full judgement can typically take a number of weeks.

World Rugby is unable to make further comment during this window.

World Rugby exercised its right to take appropriate action before an independent judicial committee in the absence of such a process by Six Nations Rugby in accordance with the regulations.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aa change of 6N process to make sure WR cannot interfere again

Henson would have got a 4 week ban from Strictly. Goode would have got 1 week no pudding and that is really harsh

duckman

They can’t,all refs are affiliated to WR first and allocated to 6N by the panel that answers to WR. They also control the WC/international 7’s etc and you have to be an affiliate to enter any of those. Add in the fact that Beamont is on the committee and it will be sucked up.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Argentina to play Australia at Twickenham on October 8th as the last game of the RC. Counts as a “home” fixture for the Pumas.

Nice little earner I suspect.

wrecker
    Free Member

Nice little earner I suspect.

I hope it is for the argentinian union.

dantsw13

Seeing as most of their players are European based it should save them a fortune in plane tickets!

DanW
    Free Member

Judging by the tweets of ex pros it appears £20k is roughly one match fee so although figure seems high (to me at least) it isn’t too much of a hit for Marler. There was me thinking they earn an honest living when all along these pros are indeed a bunch of posh …. 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So Lee is the only one talking sense after all (allegedly) 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Seeing as most of their players are European based it should save them a fortune in plane tickets!

Are you not aware of the Jaguares? Things have changed!

DanW
    Free Member

So Lee is the only one talking sense after all

He let himself down by claiming to be the first international rugby player with a traveller background 😉

dantsw13

Wrecker – no I hadn’t. If their domestic rugby is getting stronger that’s good news.

Edit – now a SR team?? Well, at least their defence will get worse 😈

jambalaya
    Free Member

@DanW – pre tax maybe ? When you think about it £100k for an international contract isn’t that much and they play 4-6 matches ?

DanW
    Free Member

I’m not over the moon with this signing, I wasn’t sad to hear that Morgan was off.

He’s a fantastic rugby player but unlikely to flourish IF Brizzle are playing premiership rugby next season. He had a great JRWC but the Scarlets have been struggling for a 10 and were insistent that was Williams position when in reality he’s more of a 15 (or winger at a push). Fine at in the Principality but even at Pro 12 level he was exposed at 10 and fell massively out of favour with the Scarlets as a result. The other things that seems to crop up is people mentioning his lack of application and needing to knuckle down but hopefully his time away with the 7’s and a change of scenery turns things around for him. I think the other Welsh regions will feel they are missing out on some potential (Dragons perhaps which isn’t a huge compliment!) but I can see why Brizzle fans aren’t going to be massively excited

His try against Harlequins sums up what he is about

[video]https://youtu.be/iLghzxv2fYU[/video]

… and what could have been

[video]https://youtu.be/vbKu534J6QU[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrecker – no I hadn’t. If their domestic rugby is getting stronger that’s good news.

Edit – now a SR team?? Well, at least their defence will get worse
    Yep, it’s pretty much the puma’s team bu all accounts. Apparently their discipline needs work which is hardly surprising. Brilliant for Argentina and for world rugby and they have the nicest shirt of any team IMHO (very enduro 😉 ).

Similar for the sunwolves, who can claim to have the best (scariest) mascot of all.

😯

DanW
    Free Member

@DanW – pre tax maybe ? When you think about it £100k for an international contract isn’t that much and they play 4-6 matches ?

I’ve no idea how the contracts work but if £20k is a “match fee” then that isn’t bad going when you add in club salary, other contracted payments, sponsorship, event appearances, number of international matches these guys play nowadays, etc. £20k to turn up for 80 60 minutes is alright and will no doubt go a long way to a charity anyway

dantsw13

I spend a bit of time in Buenos Aires, so might have to try to catch a Jaguares game.

jambalaya
    Free Member

DanW RF is spunking £500k pa I believe on Rob Andrew 😯

Rugby players have a 10 year career so £300k (?) for an International level player isnt that much in the years they are playing for national team. I think JW went for 750€ to Toulon before taking a cut in his last season to help the club out and Carter is on a lot more.

wrecker
    Free Member

I spend a bit of time in Buenos Aires, so might have to try to catch a Jaguares game.

I am more than a little jealous!

DanW
    Free Member

Rugby players have a 10 year career so £300k (?) for an International level player isnt that much in the years they are playing for national team.

It is all speculation how much these guys get paid but Mas was reportedly on £384,000 in 2013 with Montpellier so £300,000 as a club salary for Marler probably isn’t a million miles off. A guesstimate £100k for a 6N tournament of match fees is quite a healthy bonus by comparison.

Anyway, it would appear Marler has a 2 week ban and loses the games pay so some punishment, but not super harsh

IdleJon

Anyway, it would appear Marler has a 2 week ban and loses the games pay so some punishment, but not super harsh

If a customer in my work complained that I had behaved the same way as Marler then I’d lose a little more than a days wages. Maybe we should all try it and then report back on how our employers deal with it? 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

so some punishment, but not super harsh

Which, I reckon most reasonable people wanted in the first place.

DanW
    Free Member

Probably a common sense outcome given the way things played out but I don’t fancy Idlejohn’s chances of keeping his job 😆

There are people with even fewer brain cells than Marler playing rugby and I’m not talking about Chris Ashton or Delon Armitage…

Tian, who hails from the Ivory Coast, had been penalised for an infringement on the floor, resulting in a yellow card after his team’s persistent offending.

But Tian took his frustration out on referee Romain Poite and delivered an expletive tirade which gave Poite no option but to issue a red card.

Tian initially received his marching orders for shouting to Poite “Piss off!” (fais chier!) before apparently telling Poite “I’ll get you after [the match], son of a bitch” (je vais te choper après, fils de pute).

True to his word Tian, still livid, stuck around at the end of the match and even tried to confront Poite as the referee walked down the tunnel. Tian was held back aggressively by his own team staff before eventually breaking free.

duckman

That is nuts! One question…what is PL gone mad?

IdleJon

Probably a common sense outcome given the way things played out but I don’t fancy Idlejohn’s chances of keeping his job

Still here. What do I have to do to get sacked around here?? 😆

anagallis_arvensis

Wilson and Kruis…let off. Willson clearly makes contact with eye area……farce

Stoner
    Free Member

Warriors just announced they are installing an artificial pitch at Sixways this summer. Cool.

You will read today that Warriors have received approval from Premiership Rugby to install a new artificial grass pitch at Sixways Stadium this summer, becoming the third Aviva Premiership Club to go to an artificial surface alongside champions Saracens and Newcastle Falcons.

I wanted to share this news with you personally before we announce to the media the rationale behind this development.

Our stadium pitch is the single most underutilised asset at the Club as it is currently used for fewer than 100 hours per season.

The condition of our existing clay-based grass playing surface means that we have to allocate eight to ten weeks every summer to refurbish it, thus removing the possibility of summertime playing usage or commercial activity.

Moving to an artificial grass pitch, we will not only see a commercial benefit, but we will be able to offer our players a consistently high-quality playing surface at all times of the year and through all weather conditions on which to train and play as we continue to strive to become an established Premiership Club.

The new pitch will meet World Rugby regulation 22 standards and will be the first in the UK to feature an organic infill rather than the more widely used rubber crumb made from dissected car tyres.

Artificial pitches are essentially carpets of blades of plastic grass with an infill to create a playing surface.

Our pitch, manufactured by leading Italian firm Limonta Sport, uses organic infill rather than rubber crumb and offers significant advantages in terms of cut and abrasion management. Warriors will be the first club in the UK to install such a pitch, which sits at the leading edge of artificial grass pitch technology.

Limonta Sport have developed similar pitches for Italian and French Rugby Clubs and have installed a total of 650 full-size pitches across a number of sports worldwide. They also sit on the RFU framework of approved suppliers of artificial grass pitches.

The pitch, which sits on a rugby-specific shock pad, consists of two elements – grass and infill. The grass is a product called MAX S turf 65mm and the infill is a product called Geo XTRE 60.

The artificial grass fibres are low slide resistant, negating burns when an athlete slides on the surface. The S shaped individual blades return to the upright position automatically.

The organic infill is a natural brown colour and consists of organic mix including shredded coconut fibres and gives the impression of being 100 per cent natural as players get muddy rather than suffering friction burns. It is hypoallergenic and natural in odour. Crucially for rugby, it provides perfect foot stability – enhancing safety for players.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If a customer in my work complained that I had behaved the same way as Marler then I’d lose a little more than a days wages.

@Idle do you get called a posh English C**t a lot by clients ?

@Stoner and others – are artificial pitches any good for rugby ? Never seen a game on one. Played plenty of hockey on them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Astroburns!

wrecker
    Free Member

Fair play to wuss, but I prefer the hybrids.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

So that’s three pitches certain players won’t play on – how long before clubs start saying “we’re paying your wages son, you play when we tell you” ?

Pigface
    Free Member

I heard a piece on the radio where a parent is convinced his son got cancer from playing on a artificial pitch with tyre crumb. Said it got in his eyes, swallowed some etc etc.

mefty
    Free Member

Twickenham is a hybrid (mixture of artificial and real grass), the rugby pitches are completely different to hockey pitches as they have bladed “grass”, which is why you use bigger studs on them.

anagallis_arvensis

@Idle do you get called a posh English C**t a lot by clients ?

Does Marler, there’s no wvidence to suggest he was spoken to like this apart from second hand comments from his club coach. But facts eh, who needs them?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Well GB Sevens look to be on course for the Olympics.

The Team GB Sevens training squad will compete at the Sevens and the City festival at Allianz Park on Saturday 2 July.

In a condensed GB programme the event, along with tournaments on the Rugby Europe Sevens Series, will form part of the squad’s preparations for the Rio Olympics.

Team GB Head Coach Simon Amor said: “The GB training programme begins in May and Sevens and the City plays an important role as we make step progressions through the summer.

No mention of any squad names yet, just a brief mention of “various XVs players” looking to get involved. Never mind that everyone else has been integrating their XVs players for months already and fine tuning their existing squads. The GB squad can’t play in any HSBC World 7s events so will be in the European events only. Who came up with that? Surely a deal could have been done to get them into the HSBC series in Olympic year. It’s not like nobody knew the Olympics were coming up……..

Viewing 40 posts - 6,561 through 6,600 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.