Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Ugly Bike time
  • honourablegeorge

MY EYES

Must be an XL or something, but those big gusset things are hideous. And the Skinwalls do it no favours.

(and Gripshift, ffs)

yunki
    Free Member

pickle
    Free Member

Yeah those gussets are a bit gash but change the tyres and it looks no different to a lot of bouncy bouncy frames to me.

gonzy
    Free Member

looks like a marin

wrecker
    Free Member

BLLLLEEEEUUUURRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH BLLLLEEEEUUUURRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH BLLLLEEEEUUUURRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

yunki
    Free Member

you’ve got a point there Gonzy..

In the same way that this

Looks like this

Northwind

The only good looking Turner ever is the fat suspension bike.

AlexSimon

Take the OP bike.
    Sag it a tad, drop the post 3 inches, replace tyres and add some fork stickers.
    It would then look a lot more normal.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    The only good looking Turner ever is the fat suspension bike.

The King Khan. That was ace, yeah. Did they ever actually sell it?

davosaurusrex

How very dare you Northwind! Anyway, we’ve all seen your Ellsworth so your opinion is null and void.

The OP is right though, that RFX looks minging. There are some nice ones around.

honourablegeorge

And as above, smaller gussets, proper tyres, smaller everything, it’s not a bad looker

elliott-20
    Free Member

As a Turner owner there is a lot of brand loyalty here.

But…

I agree, the RFX in anything bigger than medium just looks too blocky and lumpy. Now, if they made a raw aluminium version I’d be all over it like a rash.

Northwind

davosaurusrex – Member

Anyway, we’ve all seen your Ellsworth so your opinion is null and void.

Au contraire, that proves my expertise.

And honourablegeorge’s pic shows the classic Turner aesthetics- cut n shut so the rear end doesn’t line up with the front. Still, they’ve got the chainstays looking better these days

Alex

I normally find myself nodding when reading NW’s posts. Thankfully to save me from any kind of stalker-ism, he’s finally outed himself. Agreed top turner is rank, Medium is okay, old ones were industrial chic 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/gdj3EA]Burner[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I’ve owned an ellsworth. And I’m not proud of the fact

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LFG4w]Ellsworth ISIS – April 04 – June 05[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

wrecker
    Free Member

we’ve all seen your Ellsworth

I seem to remember him owning something even fuglier…an on-one perhaps? or a titus? Can’t recall exactly what it was now.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s a whole world, nay galaxy of wrong in this thread.

That Marin is truly gopping. Ray Charles and David Blunkett could have done a far better job of painting it.

Northwind

wrecker – Member

I seem to remember him owning something even fuglier…an on-one perhaps? or a titus? Can’t recall exactly what it was now.

I don’t know what could be uglier tbh. My hemlock looked like one of those french wooden swing bridges and the C456 had been left too close to a radiator but nothing compares… The miraculous thing is, the Dare rode almost as badly as it looked. Its only redeeming feature was I sold it for more than I paid to some blind german.

wrecker
    Free Member

Hemlock! That was it!!!!
    The thing is, there is something cool about a slightly ugly bike. Those Cube stereos are cool.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I like the Skinwalls…… 😳

richmtb

I love my 5spot but the RFX with skinwalls has taken a serious beating with the ugly stick

Onzadog
    Free Member

The skin wall tyres might not be my first choice but it’s certainly eye catching.

I really like the RFX. It looks like a classic hardtail frame rather than the modern swoopy, bendy for the sake of u full sus bikes.

The bike in the op’s pic belongs to someone. I’d guess that it’s been carefully chosen for fit rather than what I bunch of people who aren’t even going to ride it might think. And no, it’s not my bike.

andybrad

I like the marin.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What Onza said basically.

I’ve owned a couple of Turners and they’ve never been lookers. I just love the way they ride.
    That RFX is pretty gopping but you’re not gonna see it when riding it.

Plus Turner is an awesome company.

bikedibley

@Onzadog…but it is mine.

Perhaps it will end up with all-black tyres and it will end up with a slightly longer stem. But after its first weekend of riding, I’m in love! The perfect fit for me, both in size, style and looks.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

awkward….

phiiiiil

That Marin is never going to look good as it doesn’t seem to have any valves to line up with the logos.

pickle
    Free Member
    AlexSimon

bikedibley – Member

@Onzadog…but it is mine. It’s amazing how many times this happens on here 🙂
    I have never owned a Turner but always had a soft spot for them. Enjoy!

scaredypants

I’m no aesthete, so that Turner must be ugly as I quite like it (tyres aside)

I admit, it looks like it should have Nicolai written on it but that’s fine by me; I slightly distrust pretty bikes anyway. REALLY short stems still look odd to me too

… and anyway, Turner seems to be a company that gives a toss about its reputation and its customers (or did – is that still the case ?)

holst
    Free Member

Onzadog
    Free Member

@ Scaredypants,

Oh yes, very much so. That’s why I’m sticking with them.

mikey74
    Free Member

That Spesh Demo is lovely.

gonzy
    Free Member

[/quote]That Spesh Demo is lovely.

feast your eyes on this gopper then…

leftyboy
    Free Member

I had an GT STS back in the day and whilst I liked the looks at the time it was christened ‘The Plastic Pig’ by my riding buddies of the time!

Not my bike but alomost identical to this:

redthunder
    Free Member

I like it

bikedibley

As most of you didn’t like my own RFX very much, I built another that I think you’ll agree is much nicer.

Turner RFX on the Silverfish UK Facebook page

dustytrails

I like that ^^ but I like Turners

butterbean
    Free Member

If it’s meant to be a Silverfish showcase, that’s an odd looking set of Formula brakes on it. 😉

It doesn’t ming as much as the other one, but it still mings, those forks would look vile even to Stevie Wonder.

Speaking of the godfather of soul, have DVO still got him painting their forks? Runs & finishes so bad it could only be because the painter is blind 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

this has already been done here:

Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Ugly Bike time’ is closed to new replies.