• This topic has 118 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Snowmageddon
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

Whats your predictions than guys and girls?
    Swans arriving very early from russian, germany expecting the earliest snow since the 60s, a powerful el nino.
    I do hope we get some good levels of the crunchy stuff.

[video]http://vimeo.com/119222820[/video]

robj20
    Free Member

I hope we get none, it will be a pain getting to work.

jimjam
    Free Member

Snow? This winter? Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

nedrapier

I’m in Finland til mid-December. It would nice to see some wintery winter while I’m here, rather than just cold and wet and dark.

rhid

I was reading about the predicted weather this winter last week and there seems to be a general agreement that this could be a cold one similar to 2010. I will believe it when I see it but in the meantime I have started to stockpile beans and UHT milk….in 2010 I was snowed out of my house for a week, so if is better to be prepared!!

wwaswas

I was snowed out of my house for a week

best store those extra supplies in the shed so you can get to them then 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

Little chance – In fact, due to climate change, children today will probably never see real snow, and will only experience it virtually.

tinybits
    Free Member

Crikey, has the climate changes that much in the last 12 months?

I suspect that I may get a light sprinkling, but the world (or uk at least) will basically stop

jekkyl

I would happily sacrifice Christmas if it meant that temps didn’t dip below 10oC all winter, I loathe the cold. I hate how everyone recalls with fond memories times of winter past ‘oh I love crunching through the snow, wearing hat and scarfs and your breath on a cold winter morning’ BS! winter is awful. after 3 days of scraping ice off their windscreen, falling over on lethal pavements and blocked roads due to snow, their true feelings about winter come flooding back…. it’s bloody awful.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Proper snow is ace. Ice/slush etc that comes afterwards is utterly shite.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I live in Devon and due to the high levels of VW’s on the road I can’t imagine there being much chance of snow this winter.

jimster01

We prepared for snow,oh three years ago-bought a rocksalt spreader,10 bags of rocksalt,and a snow shovel.

All we’ve had since is a couple of frosts,just to put the icing on the cake I’d better stock up.

momo

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    Proper snow is ace. Ice/slush etc that comes afterwards is utterly shite.

This!

binners

I work outside all the time and would welcome some nice cold days and some snow.

Either that or mild and sunny – can’t face endless days of rain

fasthaggis

I hope we get none loads, it will be a pain great fun getting to work.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Snowmageddon

have we been reading the Daily Express again?

every year, they predict the worst winter for 50 years.

(Eventually of course, they’ll be right. And they’ll no doubt enjoy telling us at length about how right they were)

dawson

I have noticed an abundance of bright red berries that i can’t remember seeing this time last year – an old wives tale used to say that meant we are due a cold winter…

Or… it just means we have had a good summer that’s caused them to grow well.

You decide! 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Little chance – In fact, due to climate change, children today will probably never see real snow, and will only experience it virtually.

I thought that as the climate warms and ice caps melt, there’s a very real risk that the gulf stream will be knocked off course and we’ll have for a while (quite a while) Canadian style winters?

rickmeister

6 weeks of -10 last winter and it was ace, fatbike heaven.

Bring it on.

rhid

Wwaswas you make a very good point! However to clarify I was staying somewhere else for a few weeks due to builders doing stuff so only needed to call in and check the house a few times. Maybe I should keep all the extra beans and milk in my car just incase. Unless I get snowed out of that too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/11864067/Britain-braced-for-long-snowy-winter-as-strongest-El-Nino-since-1950-expected.html

This is what I read. Not quite the Express but someone predicts a snowageddon this time every year and most of the time it never shows up. I work in Llanberis and last winter there was very little snow up on the tops of the hill. Pretty sure someone said 2014 was going to be a harsh one!

binners

Riding in the snow is ace. FACT!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I predict a couple of days of hard snow fall, then I predict a Riot 😆

Hate the stuff. God should have taken a long hard look at himself when he created it, then promptly handed himself 360 lashes with a birch.

Today most people just don’t plan for it, but then I don’t think BITD they planned for it either. Tales of Grandad & Grandma being holed up in some Northern Village in t’moors for months on end eating 14 baked beans per day and cuddling up under a patchwork crochet blanket whilst drinking each others spit, were just romantic tales metted out each time a light flurry came to stay.

Thankfully we’re all a bit grown up now and choose not to let it control our lives too much. I still marvel at the Doom and Gloom merchants predicting 42ft drifts in deepest Surrey and the sales of Audi Allroads and Evoques rocketing when in reality theres best part of half a days disruption, whilst little Henry plays in the garden making pretty shapes in the white stuff with a stick.

What I find fascinating about Snow fall in modern life is the stockpiling of food. Once many centuries ago stocking up meant something, today Tesco and Asda carparks are rammed full with 11.5 shopping trollies per human crammed to the hilt with bread and chips get dragged back to their Evoque’s, being parked in the disabled spaces, through a bit of slush dressed in Ugg Boots and hoodies is more typical.

At best the slush is annoying, at worst the trains stop for a day. But the overriding PITA about Snowfall and Winter in general is the cold. To many it’s a killer. The old and infirm who choose not to put the heating on because of the cost implications or some internal mental restriction or some crappy arse of a Landlord wont/hasn’t/can’t be bothered to get the boiler replaced to save £50, or genuinely the old can’t afford it. It’s an abomination in this day and age we let old folk die due to the cold.

God doesn’t seem to worry too much about that does he.

ransos
    Free Member

have we been reading the Daily Express again?

every year, they predict the worst winter for 50 years.

This. Very occasionally, they’re right. About once every fifty years.

piemonster

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/tag/winter-forecast/

Edit, can’t see the date on this!?

Edit the edit, looks old. Is that 2010?

trail_rat
    Free Member

in the south east are we bikebouy.

meanwhile up in scotland 2 out of the last 5 have been propper winters with fence deep snow for a couple of weeks. 2010 meant snow from november to march – so much that we couldnt get the car any closer to the house than the village which meant an hours walk pulling a sledge – with the coal and shopping on and when it came to the thaw freeze we ended up using crampons to get up the track.

Thankfully the farmer sorted out an oil delivery with a couple 45 gallon drums and a pump in his land rover – no one predicted we would see -22 in the valley.

But yeah – its only half a day disruption in the uk.

Looking forward to a big dump of snow at somepoint – get the use out of my landy :d

slowoldgit
    Free Member

That chap at weather outlook says it’s too early to tell. I’ll take his word for it, rather than that of a journo.

nickc

piemonster, looks like 2010?

hatter

I love snow, right up until the very milisecond I have to go anywhere or get anything done, the perils of adulthood.

Mind you, can’t wait for my nippers to see it, my 3 year old has never really seen proper snow as he was a new born the last time we had it, his little eyes are going to be popping out of his head!

allthegear
    Free Member

I may regret buying the BMW 325i Touring over the Subaru Outlook, then… :-/

Rachel

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Is it that time of year already?

Good thing we’ve just bought a 4wd, as everyone knows snow won’t stop one. Or it won’t stop in snow. Or something like that.

Northwind

Snow is the best weather, fact. Makes the world new, the day you look at fresh snow and think “how inconvenient” is the day you know your soul’s died tbh.

scotroutes

Bring.It.On!

ransos
    Free Member

Good thing we’ve just bought a 4wd, as everyone knows snow won’t stop one. Or it won’t stop in snow. Or something like that.

The 4X4 will get you up to the back of all the other cars stuck in the snow. I find a good pair of walking boots more useful in these situations.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Germany has snow

The Westerwald this morning is -8

daftvader
    Free Member

It’s all a ninja marketing campaign spearheaded by Charlie The-Bikemonger. He even admitted it to me…
    it’s all true!!!

hammyuk
    Free Member

I think I’ll MOT the CRF 😉

ads678

Snow is the best weather, fact. Makes the world new, the day you look at fresh snow and think “how inconvenient” is the day you know your soul’s died tbh.

This + all the numbers! I love the snow 😀

zilog6128

Yeah hope we get loads this year. Didn’t get a decent amount down south the last two winters which SUCKED.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Snowmageddon’ is closed to new replies.