• This topic has 118 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Snowmageddon
  • 99percentchimp
    Free Member

Love it… preparation!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oV25wH]Traction![/url] by 99percentchimp, on Flickr

Northwind

The thing about “you’ll get as far as the first stuck car”- it can be like that, in busy areas, when the snow starts and everyone’s trying to get home with their inappropriate tyres and no skill etc. But not so much once you get away from the busy places, and even there after that, there’s a big window where it still makes a difference.

I think a lot of this is kind of citybound thinking- if you drive in traffic jams then snow’s very different from if you don’t.

molgrips
    Free Member

only hoping for enough Snow to entertain the kids and avoiding being forced to visit a customer

Seriously? If it snows, your company and your clients expect you to turn up anyway?

I’ve always been told not to go anywhere by everyone when there’s been snow.

zilog6128

I’ve always been told not to go anywhere by everyone when there’s been snow.

That’s because they know what you’re like.

ransos
    Free Member

The thing about “you’ll get as far as the first stuck car”- it can be like that, in busy areas, when the snow starts and everyone’s trying to get home with their inappropriate tyres and no skill etc. But not so much once you get away from the busy places, and even there after that, there’s a big window where it still makes a difference.

I think a lot of this is kind of citybound thinking- if you drive in traffic jams then snow’s very different from if you don’t.

By definition, most people live in busy areas. Of course, if you live in a remote facility desert, then you can use your 4×4 for 364 days per year to drop off Harry and Cecily on the yellow zigzags, then bump up the kerb at Sainsbury’s. On day 365, you get warm fuzzy feelings of self-worth for your astute vehicle choice.

Northwind

ransos – Member

By definition, most people live in busy areas

Well, no. By definition a lot of people live in busy areas, because that’s what makes them busy- but that says nothing about most.

A small majority of the UK population lives in the cities, 54%, but not all parts of the cities are busy. Officially, I live in one of the UK’s biggest cities, in practice not so much, and getting around in the snow is generally pretty simple. After the first snowfall, all the people who can’t drive anywhere, stop driving. I had my fastest commutes ever in the big snows of a few years back because probably 90% of all the cars were parked up.

But also, you need to talk about journeys not people, car journeys get much less common in the inner cities, and generally shorter.

ransos
    Free Member

A small majority of the UK population lives in the cities

81.5% of the population (England & Wales) lives in urban areas. Source = 2011 census.

I live in one of the UK’s biggest cities, in practice not so much, and getting around in the snow is generally pretty simple

I find much the same. I did once have to swap the road bike for the mtb on a commute.

footflaps

Think I’ve used ice tyres twice in the last 15 years and even then only for a couple of days each time.

crazy-legs

Think I’ve used ice tyres twice in the last 15 years and even then only for a couple of days each time.

^^ This.
    I bought a pair very discounted from my LBS in spring time a few years ago. Left them on the CX for about 2 weeks during a very bad winter but other than that, they’ve been at the back of the shed. Nice idea but it never really works out in practice.

scotroutes

At times, ice tyres have been the only way I could commute as roads were blocked and/or so icy that cars and buses couldn’t travel.

That was in an urban area.

Northwind

ransos – Member

81.5% of the population (England & Wales) lives in urban areas. Source = 2011 census.

Yep, but urban areas aren’t necessarily busy, choked up. 54% in cities though that still includes folks like me that are basically in a village that happens to be in the city limits.

I think, probably the key thing here is traffic density rather than people density though- we got a load of disruption here one time because of overspill from a trunk road, 50 metres away there was no traffic but stupid buggers blocked one of the junctions over the main road. A small number of people can block a road, or not.

But assuming that all the roads will be blocked with cars because it’s snowed is, I think, definitely city-biased.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Autosocks. Enjoy your winter.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I am considering swapping the 4×4 for RWD imminently, if it happens the switch may be end of December… which would probably ensure snowmaggeddon in January through to March.

Even higher probability comes if we move up into the hills to the place we were looking at today!

phinbob

Snow is my favo(u)rite and my best. I love it.

I’m currently living in Seattle, and I’m hoping for a decent winter, but it’s not looking that good over here 🙁

Maybe I should stop driving my 7.4l 2100kg climate killer….

Junkyard
    Free Member

Me to that is why I never fit them and throw a sicky

molgrips
    Free Member

Me to that is why I never fit them and throw a sicky

Why on earth would you do that? You just phone your boss and say ‘I’m not going out in that’ and he says ‘nor am I, don’t be ridiculous’. If you do go in you find that the office is almost empty anyway.

No idea why people beat themselves up so much about getting to work when it’s snowy. Essential and emergency services notwithstanding of course.

jam-bo

No idea why people beat themselves up so much about getting to work when it’s snowy. Essential and emergency services notwithstanding of course.

in most offices I’ve worked in there are two extreme types with most in the middle being pragmatic:

1: will beat themselves to a pulp to get to work, one guy was proud of having taken four hours to get into work one snowmageddon day.

2: will refuse to come to work or go home early if the possibility is even forecast.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Our ever so helpful employers make you either take it as holiday unless the office officially closes, or make you work up the hours. So being stuck at home if it snows is a pointless waste of a day. On the basis that if I can go for a ride (about the only use of a day off in that situation) I may a well ride into work and be paid for it.

Really pissed me off one year, phoned the office automated phoneline to see if it was open (it was), rode in (about 2 miles) and found that I was one of eight (out of about three thousand) that had turned up, and the entrance road was under 2ft of snow as were the car parks. Basically they were banking on no one turning up so they didn’t have to close the office.

Had a long shower, cooked breakfast in the canteen, modicum of work, long lunch, pretended to work, rode home via the pub.

scotroutes

It’s your responsibility to get to work. If you live so far away from your place of work that you can’t handle a little trouble once in a while then move closer or be docked a days pay (this probably doesn’t apply to the “make-weights” that seem to be in most organisations).

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s your responsibility to get to work.

As directed by your employer. Your employer has a duty of care so can’t ask you to come out in conditions that would put you at risk. So most don’t.

Of course those on hourly rates would be pissed off.. so I guess that’s why.. I should’ve clarified my comment by referring to many of the office workers that seem to stress over snow so much.

Junkyard
    Free Member

When we had the last snow mageddon the only two of us in were the two who lived the furthest away

he got in on the bus and I cycled in – 14 miles for me.

One woman who lived 600 metres away said she was snowed in

IME what counts is how close you are to a major road as you often cannot get off estates even when the main roads are clear

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, our house is at the bottom of a short steep cul-de-sac – they plough the road 300m away but it’s the 50m of hill that’s the kicker.

scotroutes

You could surely push a bike up a 50m hill?

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course, but it’s a long old way to London by bike when it’s snowing 🙂

Anyway I was just backing up the earlier point. I always put my studs on and ride when it’s snowing, but I’m usually told not to come to work so it’s not much of an issue.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

On day 365, you get warm fuzzy feelings of self-worth for your astute vehicle choice.

I’m very much looking forward to smug day.

Will it be the same day as Christmas?

jonba
    Free Member

I like a week of snow but it got tedious in Newcastle back in 2010 when it was hanging around for ever.

I walked/cycled to work as it is only 6 miles. Took a little longer but going across the town moor was stunning when there was a couple of feet of snow on it.

Used the mountain bike but now have ice spike tyres for my commuter. I end up using them a fair bit. While my commute is through Newcastle it is mainly off the road so not gritted – normally icy in parts. I put the spikes on at the first sign of freezing weather and then leave them on as I’m too lazy to change them. Wouldn’t be without them now.

darthshearer
    Free Member

I hope we get none. This country cant cope with it! Everything comes to a stand still.

ransos
    Free Member

But assuming that all the roads will be blocked with cars because it’s snowed is, I think, definitely city-biased.

I grew up in a small town, and now live in a city. The effect of heavy snow is exactly the same: gridlock. Those of us with the good sense to live within cycling or walking distance of work are of course unaffected.

crazy-legs

Those of us with the good sense to live within cycling or walking distance of work are of course unaffected.

While those of us with the better sense to live just far enough away from work and/or in a rural area, get the benefit of a day off. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

While those of us with the better sense to live just far enough away from work and/or in a rural area, get the benefit of a day off.

Which is taken from your annual leave, or taken as unpaid leave. So there’s no benefit at all.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my boss suggests we call it ‘working from home’.

willard

Remote working, bringing about the end of snow days for adults since Terminal Services was released.

Northwind

ransos – Member

Which is taken from your annual leave, or taken as unpaid leave. So there’s no benefit at all.

Sometimes. Depends on your employer.

piemonster

LOL at the Express

Didn’t even read the article, just control F for “Exacta” was enough.

scotroutes

The Met Office-led study claimed that although the effect will be offset by recent global warming, Britain could see some cooler than average winters in years to come.

So, that’ll be some cooler than average mixed in with some warmer than average? Is it the concept of average folk are struggling with here?

Drac

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Snowmageddon’ is closed to new replies.