Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • New bike time
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I decided to chop in three bikes- a race bike, a big travel hardtail and an all mountain full suspension bike- into one. This is the result. I’ve just weighed it and the scales say 25.5lb (sounds dubious to me, but it did weigh my Anthem at 23.5lb and that was about right). Need to tweak the saddle angle and maybe chop down the bars. There’s a new stem coming too. First bike with entirely new bits for a very long time!

scotroutes

Where does the baby seat go?

Jamie
    Free Member

Nice wheels. Who makes them?

wwaswas

*likes*

munrobiker
    Free Member

Jamie- yes. My thoughts exactly. A definite head rather than heart decision (they were cheap and light. And fugly)

Scotroutes- I have a saddlebag for the guinea pigs. No room for der kinder yet.

Bregante

Cables look dangerously dangly below the bottom bracket.

Lovely though 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Specialized bikes must have a lot of cable knitting. It’s the rules.

Bregante

Nah, not that much anyway. My Enduro SL had the same routing but that looks rootcatchingtastic to me

Bet it’s a cracking ride tho

Ooh, me likey!

oxym0r0n

Murduh!

winch
    Free Member

That’s very nice. What cranks?

munrobiker
    Free Member

They’re the sram xo ones that come on complete bikes.

Shock position aside, the ‘new’ish Stumpy, is very much the ‘old’ish Enduro

munrobiker
    Free Member

Just been out on it for the first time and it is spiffing. The weight catches me out (it’s 8lb lighter than the Orange it replaces), especially in the air. It’s certainly very fast, and the short back end will take some getting used to but the long front feels very good. It certainly took on some nasty bits of trail with ease.

It climbs like a pig when the propedal’s off, though- but it is quick with it turned on. Not as quick as my Anthem but so much easier to climb on than the Five.

In other news, I must be really old fashioned. I have 26″ wheels and spent a lot of the ride thinking “these bars are too wide” (785mm) and “this stem is too short” (50mm). Time to get the hacksaw out, and I hope the stem I ordered for it appears soon…

It wasn’t a long enough ride to form real opinions, and I’ve not gelled with it 100% yet. The forks feel very good, though, and they’re not bedded in yet!

ton

that is a smart looking bike that Luke.
    when I get mended, I would love something like that. very nice indeed.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Love my stumpy Evo, where did you get the pikes? Which ones did you go for in the end?

doom_mountain

That looks lovely.
    I want one of these to replace my Pitch, seems to be very similar frame but loads lighter….

rob-jackson
    Free Member

+1

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Pikes from Loco?

matt_outandabout

*is trying to critisise garden, but is struggling* 😕

Nice bike Luke.

fathomer

Nice indeed, love the colour!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Chunky- Pikes are from Germany, as are a lot of other bits. They are dual position rcts.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cool, hearing good things about the Pikes. Reckon they’d match my HD well.

BillOddie

That looks ace! Persevere with the Bar Stem Combo for a bit, you’ll grow to love it!

boxxer7
    Free Member

Are they 160s then? Been as they’re dual air?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Aye, 160-120 dual position.

Wookster

Nice mate!!

NormalMan

Really cool looking bike. Although I’m a bit of Spesh fan.

What stem have you ordered?

I’m thinking of going the other direction on my camber, from 90mm to shorter.

Kuco

Does the rear hub need the rear bearing upgrade? If so the kits free from an Easton dealer.

BTW nice bike, loving my Easton Haven wheels.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Kuco- the bearing upgrade is on the way to the LBS as we speak (along with some spare spokes- never had wheels with non-standard spokes before and I’m worried about breaking one and not having a bike for a month waiting for a new one).

Went out on it today and while it doesn’t feel faster than my old Five I set some faster times without really trying so it’s doing something right! Feels a lot better with a 60mm stem on it though for a brief moment I wished I’d ordered a 70. I’ve kept a 100mm one for races though.

boxxer7
    Free Member

How are you finding the 160s then, I can’t decide what to do with mine. 160mm is more than spesh say is the max but a few seem to be running them over in the states.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Did Popeye the sailor man really ever live in a caravan?

Happy new bike day/time!

I_Ache
    Free Member

That is one bloody lovely bike. It was a stumpy evo that I really wanted before I ended up with my enduro evo and I still want one.

Toasty

Impressive weight for such a beefy bike. I take it the Reverb is just routed along the side of the frame?

Was tempted by a KS Lev so I could use the proper routing.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘New bike time’ is closed to new replies.