Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 290 total)
  • Tour Divide 2013
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

It’s nearly here ! http://tourdivide.org/

Stuff the Tour de Dope and all the circus that surrounds it, this is a real race.

I’m going to be routing for Mike Hall ( @Normally_Human ), if anyone can beat Matt Lees record it’s him.

For anyone who doesn’t know who Mike is.

Who else is in that I should be looking out for ?

Any of course, the all important tracker board.

http://tourdivide.org/leaderboard

trail_rat
    Free Member

YES mike is the man who can.

Just been listening to the build up with joe polk on mtb cast on the bus this morning.

Jealous , somehow this year a sparks been reignited for me to do this – i blame aidans highland 400 ride 😀

wwaswas

Saw a blog post about his bike and compenent choice yesterday – was very interesting.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Oooh – care to share wwaswas ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

its on his naturally aspirated human blog.

flange
    Free Member

Mikes website is down at the moment. Normally it can be found here

Normally Aspirated

wwaswas

bandwidth limit exceeded on his blog site – he’s too popular!

normallyaspiratedhuman.com

molgrips
    Free Member

Trail rat, did you do the highland 400? You probably know my mate then.

trail_rat
    Free Member

did i ****. I just felt motivated.

When i get back either pre or post alps i fancy a crack at the cairngorm loop – weather an midge dependant.

molgrips
    Free Member

Midges are only a problem if you stop.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ll be following him too,

I went to one of his talks in dalby last year, excellent.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Ist the record now with Jay Petervay (spelling?) and was held before that by Oliie (the NZ who raced with the canadian chap last year till the last day when the canadian broke a pedal). Will be following Mike for sure

bland

You beat me starting a post on the TD.

Really gunning for Mike being an old mate and all and I think this is what he needs to get his head straight and refocus! I’ll be glued to the blue dots for the next two weeks for sure!

And good luck to everyone else partaking in the race!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I used to follow the posts on the divide race a few years ago.
    Thanks for the ‘heads up’ on this years event.

turboferret

I watched Ride the Divide again at the weekend, it’s certainly on my list of things to do within the next decade 🙂

Looking forward to seeing how everyone does this year.

Cheers, Rich

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

So, the day is here. The Grand Depart should be happening sometime today

The wonderful MTB cast page has a Google doc HERE with all the starters for 2013. you can also listen to their podcasts on their page HERE

Facebookers can also join their page to get updates HERE

Mike Halls blog is back up and running, if you’re a gear junkie like me, then you can have a look at what equipment he is using for the trip HERE. Some very interesting choices on equipment, including new dynamo hubs and lights from Exposure

I tweeted Mike last night to wish him good luck, and told him that I would be posting updates back in the UK on this page, and he said he might drop in, IF he gets a chance. So, if you don’t do twitter and want to wish him luck, you can post here, and he might get the messages.

This was him yesterday, riding 85 miles to the start line, as you do 😯

Unlike bland ^^^, I don’t actually know Mike personally, however, since learning of this race a few years ago, I find myself drawn to it every year. I have nothing but admiration for every single competitor that takes part in what really has to be the hardest race on the planet, but of course I’ll always be cheering on the British riders 😀

I’d be much more interested in the Tour de France in they released bears in the countryside around Lyon, mountain lions near Bordeaux, and all the racers had to carry all their own kit, find their own food and shelter every night, whilst dodging potholes, traffic, bad weather, forest fires, and red necks, all for no prize money. That is IF you finish, and your bike stays in one piece.

Chapeau.

miketually
    Free Member

Looking forward to following this again.

tollah
    Free Member

Good luck to Mike, my team mate and friend Marco ‘Yoda’ Nicoletti is also riding, I think he’ll do OK too. I take my hat off to anyone that attempts this event, awesome…

scandalous
    Free Member

my exposure hubbed carbon rimmed 29er wheels are bring built as we speak!
    think I will order the Plug II thingy as well!
    Yoiks!

vdubber67
    Free Member

What happened to Ricki Cotter? Thought she was racing this year and can’t see her on the start list?

composite
    Free Member

JP’s record attempt trailer.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/53659294[/video]

JP talking about his setup.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/50688329[/video]

If you have the time I thought this was an excellent slice of what it’s like to ride. It’s from the 2010 event. Must have been a bit dusty in the room I was watching it in at some points.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/16967882[/video]

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got the Exposure hub/Revo combination – its brilliant. (built the wheel myself on A23 rim). I use a Kemo USB connector to switch between the light and GPS charging. Only issue with the light is lack of an “off” switch for stealthy cheeky trail riding…

Anyway, lets not forget Jameso of this forum.

bland

We’re off! Mike starting an early pace, thought the plan may have been to hang back then pass everyone in the night but he has clearly decided to wave goodbye to everyone and ride it lone the whole way!

Expect some 250 mile plus days off mike. I wouldnt be surprised if he pulls out one or teo 300 mile plus days too! From speaking to him in the past he can do 14 days of crazy miles fine, more than that and his head srarts getting the better of him I think so I imagine its going to be head down, job done!

scotroutes

Where and how much? I’m trying to decide if I want to give it a go myself or not.

scandalous
    Free Member

ir_bandito – can you link the kemo

scotroutes – bouyght mine from wiggle and the rims from flyxii in China. Will report it up.

Was going to buy a Pjug II but want to see if the Kemo is better as its way cheaper!

martinh
    Free Member

Routing for James Olsen, a regular poster on here and fellow Jones rider. Helps me dream that one day I might

flange
    Free Member

215 miles in, mike is currently leading by ten miles

GO MIKE!!!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

James in 7th…

Kemo

On Ebay

bigrich

mike on his RTW record ride http://youtu.be/nVlT84Vxot4?t=9m

Blackhound

jameso up to 6th in Whitefish which is brilliant as he was aiming for 25 days. Likely to be well under 20 at that pace. Last year Olly Whalley was aiming for <20 days and end up with 16+ so people get it wrong, especially foreigners with no experience.

Craig Stapler who is now a few hours ahead of Mike is a really nice guy. 5th in the recent Trans-Portugal mtb race he has some speed in his legs and he led the 85 mile ride mentioned in an earlier post that Mike was on. I met Craig in 2011 and he took me and a mate over to Canmore for the TD start of that year.

Gear note: Craig has switched to Niner carbon forks this year from a hardtail he rode last year looking at the pics. Olly Whalley who CS rode with to Grants NM before his pedal issue used Niner forks to win.

trail_rat
    Free Member

craig rode all through last night i think. he will have to stop at some point.

bland

Craig had about 4 hours off the bike in Helena, Mike had an earlier finish and started 45 mins later than Craig, mike had 6 hours rest all told.

Craig is pushing some pace, mike reported dome breathing difficulty though over the last two days and quote

called it early last night to get proper rest, still can’t breathe right but seem to be minimising the damage

He is about 60 miles back now, nothing an all nighter wont fix. Maybe Mike is pacing himself for an attack once craig tires himself out. Only Mike knows his actual pace and condition but i suspect we may see an overnight position change in a couple of days!

takisawa2

700 miles, off road, in 3 days is simply incredible. 😯

mikehow
    Free Member

@bland 300 mile days – really?

I know Mike is capable of 200 mile days which he did on his round the world record but 300 miles off road is simply mental.

Obviously Mike’s first stab at the TDR resulted in him picking up an injury, plus his recent blog on facing his demons makes me wonder whether he’ll push hard until some way after the half way mark.

Who knows. To my mind he’s definitely the favourite.

BillOddie

From Twitter:

Mike Hall ?@Normally_Human 1m

Another rough day & night in real trouble with breathing. Nearly scratched last night. Suspect allergy of some kind. Experimenting with meds

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Back in the room. Sorry folks, been away preping for an interview to see if I can join the bike industry 8) Will talk abut that later.

Back to the race.

Mikes stats

Current place 2
    Race Status Active
    Last Update Rec’d 12:43:32 PM (MDT) 06/17/13
    Current speed 2.8 mph
    Route mile 685.94 mi
    Route average speed 8.9 mph
    Route distance per day 214.57 mi

and James Olsens’ stats

Current place 5
    Race Status Active
    Last Update Rec’d 12:51:39 PM (MDT) 06/17/13
    Current speed 5.7 mph
    Route mile 608.39 mi
    Route average speed 7.9 mph
    Route distance per day 190.00 mi

Yurp, 200 miles per day 😕 Makes me want to sit down even thinking about that.

Simply. Incredible. Hope Mike starts to feel better soon

bigrich

Mike Hall
    6 hours ago via Twitter

Oh beautiful deep full breaths, I can BREATHE!!

that’s him away again then.

trail_rat
    Free Member

he was just getting warmed up 😉

sounds like craigs kicked 7 bells out him self to get where he is listening to the his call from butte – claims he feels good and that his tactics to break mike are working , sounds like he just did a 24 hour race and needs to go to bed.

mikes pulled back 30 odd miles today.

itstig

Excellent news from Mike 10 minutes ago there was about 30 miles between them I expect that to decrease from now on!

bland

Mike seems better, had a message to say he has some meds and flew up lava mtn so clearly feeling better, sure he has a game plan now. Stapler won’t be happy if he realises he is bearing down on him. However I read he doesn’t use electronic devices, doesn’t even have a phone with him so not sure how he checks on progress?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 290 total)

The topic ‘Tour Divide 2013’ is closed to new replies.