Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • Let's see your 29+/650B+ & other "Nearly-Fat" Bikes
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Let’s see your nearly fat bikes, 29+ and such like, I love ’em 😀

Here’s mine…

And my old one which got me hooked (fat front only)…

Clobber
    Free Member
    dirtyrider
    Free Member

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Replaced the moots/thomson ti stuff with ENVE stuff since the pic

Paceman
    Free Member

Clobber, I’m sure the Rooster will be great when it arrives, I was close to pulling the trigger on one as well but went for a Krampus instead in the end as I preferred the colour (bike tart I know!) 😉

The Krampus has not disappointed.

zippykona

How fat is nearly fat?

BillOddie

Mine is currently in gestation phase…
    I have a Krampus frame and fork and pile of bits… just waiting on brakes (SLX or XT), tyres (Maxxis Chronicles) and Rims (likely Duallys)…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How fat is nearly fat?

How big’s a can of worms?

26″ Dirt Wizzards are nominaly 2.75, but are actualy only a few mm bigger than conventional Maxxis 2.4 on the same rims. So they’re only ‘semi skimmed’ on 50mm rims. So it’s as much to do with the rim as it is the tyres.

The only 650b+ tyre at the moment is a WTB 2.8″ one.

letmetalktomark

Then: Half fat (26”) Fortitude:

Now: Half fat (29er+) Fortitude:

Just about to build up a Rohloff into a Dually to build one of these:

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

My second Krampus, a mobile Maxxis advert!

SidewaysTim

Here’s mine…

Wait – hang on a minute, that’s not right. It should look like this…

Paceman
    Free Member

zippykona – Member

How fat is nearly fat?

I’d say those tyres which are bigger than the norm but not your fully fat 4″+ ones. 29+ is usually considered to be 29×3″ tyres, but as others have said many 2.4″/2.5″ tyres come up very big on 50mm rims.

Any interesting photos you can post are good though 😀

I love the semi-fat Fortitude, that looks like a bike to have adventures on; and what’s that you’re riding Sideways Tim? It looks really nice.

SidewaysTim

It’s a 9:ZERO:7 Carbon Whiteout.

eddie11
    Free Member

what clobber said 🙁

coastkid
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p5xRBj]11th Nov; 018[/url] by coastkid71, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pCawWE]Pumpkin Pugsley-Halloween 005[/url] by coastkid71, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oXPCYn]Pumpkin Pugsley-Halloween 001[/url] by coastkid71, on Flickr

unovolo
    Free Member

Bugger,wrong thread.

Bregante

Coastkid are those rabbit holes on your Karate Monkey and is that a standard KM fork?

Edit:Actually don’t tell me. I’m banned from spending any more money on my bikes for the remainder of time the year 😐

Edit Edit: well, are they?

Paceman
    Free Member

Coastkid,

How wide is that Maxxis Minion DHF coming up on the Rabbit Hole rim?

Cheers

Paceman

Clobber
    Free Member

Sideways Tim – That is nice…!

How much does an aluminium whiteout frame and fork cost?

SidewaysTim

The new ones are quite spendy as they have a whole new tapered fork and through axles. They’re £799. We do have some of the 190 frame/forks left in medium and large (black or silver) on offer at £550 though – they’ll take 29+ too.

Clobber
    Free Member

hmmppphh… I’m an XL will have to save for the newer one…

coastkid
    Free Member

Bregante;
    Aye they are Rabbit Holes on the Monkey
    I did have 2.5 Minions both ends with Monkey Nuts in the rear with 3×9 and good chain clearance.
    Tyre clearance is ok for sandy soil trails but not much clearance for mud so swapped out the rear 2.5 DHF for a 2.3 DHF.
    A 3″ knard fits in easy on Rabbit Holes and Monkey Fork- The Krampus fork is the same width. Only 483.0 mm in lenght compared to the Karate Monkey`s 468.0 mm fork.
    Some folks have fitted krampus forks to KM`s giving slower steering and a slight increase in BB height.
    I fitted a 1.5 degree offset headset to slacken the steering a bit on my KM and it rides way better ridgid.

Paceman; Nipped out to the ManCave and got the calipers out;

Rabbit Hole with Minion 2.5mm; Width 62mm, height 50mm

Rabbit Hole with 3″ Knard Width 76mm, height 65mm

Its the air volume of the 3" tyre that gives it its float

Itchin for a Krampus frame for next year as have the wheels 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Rabbit Hole with Minion 2.5mm; Width 62mm, height 50mm

Shows how optimistic Maxxis sizing was, even on a 50mm rim it doesn’t quite make 2.5″

Anyone know what width maxxis 2.4’s come out as on Stans Arch rims?

Can’t justify 29+, just wondering what the biggest that’ll fit in my El-Mariachi is.

Paceman
    Free Member

Rabbit Hole with Minion 2.5mm; Width 62mm, height 50mm.
    Rabbit Hole with 3″ Knard Width 76mm, height 65mm.
    Its the air volume of the 3″ tyre that gives it its float.

I’ve tried 2.4″ Chunky Monkeys with my Rabbit Hole rims and found the same thing, the loss of air volume made them feel heavy and killed the floaty feel the true 29+ tyres provide, they weren’t a patch on the Surly Knards which went straight back on. I’ve switched the Knards for Maxxis Chronicles for the Winter and they’ve been pretty good so far, not an out and out mud tyre but not bad overall with plenty of volume and a true 3″ width.

Coastkid… If you’re a fan of the Karate Monkey you’ll love the Krampus I think.

tazzymtb

29 x 2,55 dissent on 47mm rim way before the world of 29+

My jones and my 3/4 chumba with fat front and 26 x 3″ rear

29+ black sheep

All mine at some point

jones space frame with 3″ rear for 3/4 fat action from 2012

See all this plus stuff was being bodged for yearsby loads of idiots, they’ve just given it a natty marketing label 😀

tazzymtb

of sod, forgot the stooge

i really need to sell some bikes :S

crocodilian
    Free Member

29 plus

[/url]DSC_0241 by mynottaur, on Flickr[/img]

…and…

[/url]DSC_0237 by mynottaur, on Flickr[/img]

crocodilian
    Free Member

Excuse me, that’s a standard 27.5 not a plus. Oh well…

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Here’s mine in Narnia

ajantom

Some older photos of my Krampus…

During an experiment with suspension…

Must get a more recent pic of mine.
    I’ve fitted a much shorter, higher rise stem and Fleegles. Makes it feel more stable at speed, but more comfy for longer rides.
    I’m also building up an Alfine rear wheel for longer days out. The Knard sits surprisingly well on the Pacenti DL31 I’m using.

Bregante

Currently running 2.4’s on my Monkey but I NEED some fat rims!

Paceman
    Free Member

Crocodilian… I’m in awe of that saddle height you’re running 😀

Some lovely bikes in this thread by the way, I’ve been trying to steer myself away from way too tempting photos of Stooges but you snook one in there Tazzy.

tazzymtb

its a lovely bike the stooge, its just a little lost in a world of sexier bikes at chez taz, but every time i ride it, it makes me giggle so it’s a definite keeper

Gotama
    Free Member

How does semi fat compare to full fat, or put another way Bud fat? Tempted to get a second wheel for my Jones with a dually 29er. All of a dither as to what the benefits are and whether the semi will end up sat in the shed most of the time. Bud OD is near enough knard I think so can’t be much in roll over ability. More suited to longer rides due to drop in weight and resistance?

tazzymtb

jones with a 29+ is good fun, but for me my joneses are best with a fat front. Tried both and then fked the 29+ front off as it was just sitting there doing nowt

tomhoward

More out of curiosity than anything else, has anyone tried putting fat tyres (4″+) on normal with rims, or normal size (2.2 or less) tyres on 80mm rims, just to see like?

Gotama
    Free Member

Ta tazzy. Maybe see if I can borrow one from biff before I do the same.

tazzymtb

yep been done, have a look at a lot of the really early fat bikes and these all sorts of experiments, double skinny rims etc..2.4-3″ downhill tres on 65mm rims all sorts

takisawa2

SIR.9+

IMAG4084 by pten2106, on Flickr

mos

How long do you think it will be before we see proper fat 4″ plus tyres & 80mm 29er rims?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Let's see your 29+/650B+ & other "Nearly-Fat" Bikes’ is closed to new replies.