Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Has there been a massive increase in cycling related eye injuries recently?
  • binners

Because if not, then why the **** are you wearing a pair of goggles?!!!!

In East lancs FFS?!!! what do you think is going to happen that would have facilitated the use of the phrase ‘that could’ve had some buggers eye out!’? This perhaps…..

I’ve just been out and two people ride past me the other way (going downhill on Tarmac, despite the area being awash with decent descents, but let’s not get into that) with ****ing goggles on!! Normal helmets and goggles?! I know you think you look all ‘Enduro’ and all that…

But just stop it!! You look like a dick! Well… Everything’s relative… You look massively more of a dick than the rest of us!!! And that takes some doing!!!

STOP IT!

That is all.

andyl
    Free Member

Has there been a massive increase in cycling related eye injuries recently?

nope. Because everyone is wearing goggles.

svalgis
    Free Member

STOP IT!

Nah.

simondbarnes

Good rant 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

mate… cycling glasses or goggles? Cycling glasses or goggles?

which makes you look more ridiculous?

who knows?

neither are ‘cool’ as such are they..?

I suppose you could always go full bender and wear some sort of Oakley sunglasses

arcadian
    Free Member

I wear a pair now; kinda guarantees my eyes won’t get teary at high speeds and cause me to blink out a contact lens. No fun at all when that happened to me last year wearing normal cycling glasses, maybe other folk have it the same? Having said that, yet to see another biker wearing goggles this year!

al2000

You mock, but several years ago I went for a p1ss in the bushes whilst out on a night ride, and grazed my cornea on a hawthorn bush. It really really bloody hurt, and then got infected for good measure.

Had I been wearing goggles, it wouldn’t have happened. It also wouldn’t have happened if I had my head torch switched on.

The lesson here? Dunno. I don’t wear goggles in any case.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Noticed more people wearing goggles on the Quantocks too, probably down to more debris being thrown up by their giant, clown sized wheels.

scaredypants

Goggles ?

Pah

I have a visor ziptied to my road helmet 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s the same with helmets int it

maxtorque

Sorry, but i detect an underlying tension with the OP. Probably he deep down knows he just isn’t cool enough to carry off the “open face helmet and googles” look, and he wishes he was……….

😉

MrNice
    Free Member

I like that someone called “binners” is posting about optical devices. very fitting.

molgrips
    Free Member

You look like a dick!

Personally I’ve never seen a dick with goggles so I don’t know how you arrive at that conclusion.

dudeofdoom

I’ve used Oakley goggles tbh till i managed to loose them ;-(

But my excuse was that I had eye issues at the time (i.e. 6 hrs use and they was fekd’)but
    i still wanted to ride as couldn’t handle being in a car or train and tbh life was pretty miserable 🙁

matt_outandabout

Personally I’ve never seen a dick with goggles so I don’t know how you arrive at that conclusion.

rickon
    Free Member

Normal helmets and goggles?! I know you think you look all ‘Enduro’ and all that…

But just stop it!! You look like a dick!

Really don’t get why people get so worked up about it, I wear goggles when its muddy and I’m riding steep, fast and technical descents. I look like a moron with them on, yes, but I’m able to ride faster as my eyes tear up, or I get mud and grit in them, which I spend the next couple of days picking out.

Was sat on the uplift bus last week, and some XC chaps were behind me saying how stupid people look with goggles and a open face. While I was sat there with my open face and goggles.

Most people who don’t ride a bike think that people wearing helmets look stupid. Being prejudice is pretty well defined by having an unfounded hatred of something you don’t understand.

I’d pose to you, if you’ve got such a problem with the way people choose to protect their eyes that you need to be abusive about them, then youre the one with the problem.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Ive just started wearing them because my eyes water so bad its unreal, to the point where i was having to stop to wipe my eyes or blink massively. Which isn’t fun.

I do feel pretty self conscious wearing them tho, you do look a bit of a dick.

richen987
    Free Member

cloudnine
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxjXqIob0qY[/video]

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Goggles encourage you to ride faster as you feel less wind in your face, ergo you judge your speed as being lower than it actually is.

Not only that, goggle offer better protection for your eyes in a crash and on the whole better ballistic protection.

So my question is, why do some riders go out with kneepads on, when your eyes are clear far more important?

Besides, wearing goggles with a half lid is snowboarder style and they are way **** cooler than most mtbers.

^^^^ WAIIIIIIII coooler than nerd glasses.

coatesy
    Free Member

Doubt if many have my excuse, but i’ve just had eye surgery that leaves the inside of the eyeball open to anything that gets in the eye, so shall probably be wearing goggles for anything remotely wet, please accept my apologies.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’ve got Steve Buscemi eyes (almost), so I’ve got an excuse as well. Don’t scare off other trail users if I’ve got them on or rip my eyeballs out in a crash. 😆

MrNice
    Free Member

Besides, wearing goggles with a half lid is snowboarder style and they are way **** cooler than most mtbers.

I’ll have you know I am both an mtber and a snowboarder and I am far too old, fat and crap to be cool

FWIW I wear goggles and pisspot on the board, glasses and xc lid on the bike. This may guide you in knowing what look is not (or no longer) cool

hels
    Free Member

Hi Binners. I love goggles. I wear them around the house sometimes too. So there.

Nick

I hadn’t considered wearing goggles before, but now you mention it I might give them a go.

svalgis
    Free Member

Also great for chopping onions.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Not sure I’m that bothered by goggle wearing folk, but great rant buddy! 😀

numbnut
    Free Member

You haven’t seen the bloke near me regularly seen using a full face motorbike helmet on his commute then? 😯

hora
    Free Member

If I was wearing contact lens I’d wear endura specs. Goggles are too enduro for me 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

FTW !

If you are going to do it, do it properslike.

mcnik
    Free Member

I think she forgot to put a seat on her seatpost!

hooli

Fashion…goggles, 6 foot wide bars, 1x setups etc.

There are lots of reasons why people “need” them and are not simply following the trend but it comes down to what is in the magazines and cycling press.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The bigger issue is that goggles are crap for riding anything other than full on downhill in. If you put in even a moderate amount of effort then they mean you can’t breathe, they often steam up, they’re a pain to take off to wipe clean, they make your face hot and sweaty and they’re generally a pain in the arse.

mcnik
    Free Member

If goggles are a pain in the arse, you are applying them to the wrong area of the body…

Saccades
    Free Member

You do look a rodney in them and a mushroom helmet – I’ve got a set I “won” at a race (stuff thrown into crowd at the end of the race and a set landed in my hands).

However they are really handy for lashing down muddy fast long routes, I normally wouldn’t wear any eye protection and suffer with bits of grit in my eyes etc. If we are doing a more “enduro” spin I’d take them with me for the downs, pain in the bum for long ranging xc rides though.

Speshpaul

I’ll take your goggles and raise you rip offs.
    Really, are you really that moto? get back on the estate then:-)

BigDummy
    Free Member

You mock, but several years ago I went for a p1ss in the bushes whilst out on a night ride, and grazed my cornea on a hawthorn bush.

I am never leaving the house without goggles again. 😯 8)

Esme
    Free Member

“I am never leaving the house without goggles again”

But most accidents happen in the home. I really think you should wear the goggles indoors too, BigDummy 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

You make a good point…

😉

maccruiskeen

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Has there been a massive increase in cycling related eye injuries recently?’ is closed to new replies.