Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Lusting after a bike from a brand i swore never to buy from.
  • ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Those forks really don’t go with the colour of the frame. I’m out 😀

Northwind

P-Jay – Member

Couldn’t you just buy a 5 year old one and have it painted? Have they changed the design in any meaningful way since Mosses crossed the Red Sea on one?

Does the paint come with wheel enlargener?

rhayter

If you fancy a burly 29er, you really can do a lot better than that girder with wheels on – and for a better price. Kona or Transition could sort you out nicely. Or a Spesh Ebduro.

Northwind

I dunno man, I’m not really an Orange fan but the Five 29 is a bloomin brilliant bike. It’s only money that stopped me buying one. Better than the Covert imo. Pretty much level pegging with the Remedy, different strengths. Haven’t ridden the enduro though.

cyclomonkey
    Free Member

Its blue, an orange shoudnt be blue.

ton

just been looking at a enduro, heck of a nice bike for the same money.

spec lists for the 2 are like chalk and cheese.

molgrips
    Free Member

Get the Orange. Join us. Come into the light.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

How’s your panniers supposed to fit to that ??

ton

How’s your panniers supposed to fit to that ??

😆

igm

The pockets on Ton’s cargo shorts will be bigger than most panniers 😀

Allegedly.

Northwind

cyclomonkey – Member

Its blue, an orange shoudnt be blue.

My Orange was blue. It was a cause of much inner turmoil.

rickon
    Free Member

My Orange is green.

Feels like all ive posted this week has been to say how awesome the Alpine Five is.

Ton – its awesome (depending on if youre going to use it properly). Its like a small downhill bike, rather than a trail bike. It eats trails.

Northwind

Cor

StuE
    Free Member

Mates just got one, got a cracking deal from Drakes cycles https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/dealers/yorkshire-humber/drakes-cycles/leeds/

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Old suspension and frame technology, that’s before I start on the looks and fugly external cableing etc etc etc etc

mccett
    Free Member

In the same boat, broke 3 Oranges and swore I’d never have another. 10 years or more away from them and the Segment has me interested again but not sure how much of that is because I can get it as a frame only. On One Codeine I may take a look at though…

wrecker
    Free Member

just been looking at a enduro, heck of a nice bike for the same money.

I’m not a spesh fan at all but happened upon one of their brand shops and wanted a saddle so in I goes.
    Go see one in the flesh. Despite my dislike for the brand, those bikes are very nice. I’d sooner have the 650B version but.

Gotta laugh at a camber being better than a five lol.

Agreed. They are not so nice.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

If you like Orange bikes, get one of these if you can afford it:

mos

Don;t beat yourself up so much. I was a hater as well, but after having to swap 9 chuffin bearings in the back end of my PYGA a couple of weeks ago, Orange here i come, once they’ve jumped on the long top tube bandwagon (27″ would be about right for me).

bikebouy
    Free Member

The only thing I’d do is grab the rear wheel and the seat post and pull the wheel side to side.

That ought to curb your enthusiasm.

😉

Northwind

Well. Depends if you think stiffer is better really, flex isn’t all bad. I got annoyed on the gyro that it wouldn’t go round a corner without rubbing the tyre against the swingarm but it wasn’t so bad on the Five and it felt like a big part of it was the cheapo wheelset.

MSP

Gotta laugh at a camber being better than a five lol.

Agreed. They are not so nice.

camber EVO, different bike 🙄

ton

orange is off the list now. I had a good long think last night.
    once bitten twice shy and all that. I forgot how crap a company they were to deal with when a problem arises.

downhilldave

bikebouy has it nailed. Ridden the 650B and you can feel the back end flex. I weigh 85 kg kitted up. The demo 29er has hardly any paint on the inside of the chainstays with only a 2.2 tyre. There are better things out there ton. Much as I like Uk produced stuff it would be a no from me. Had the Five Rs for a couple of weeks while my fork had some warranty work done and I was glad to give it back, gonna get flamed for that from the Orange lovers.

rickon
    Free Member

Yep. I have absolutely no rub on the insides of my swingarm, and I don’t know anyone else that does (that’s err…. five … Alpine Fives that I know of).

Could be the wheels, everyone I know runs Pro2s on Flow Exs – although spoke tension isn’t high on these.

I’ve never noticed rear end flex on mine, each to their own, discounting a bike off your list because:

– You don’t think their customer service is good
    – You don’t like the looks
    – You don’t like external cable routing
    – You think it’s old hat

Are all good reasons – and if you have those thoughts then I don’t see why you’d blow £3k on the bike, but they’re subjective – so others wont feel the same.

muddy9mtb

don’t ponder…blow the cash on the tables, dogs or nearest massage parlor no worries 😯

takisawa2

First ride on this last night.
    Boring, predictable, old fashioned, heavy, dull, slow, filing cabinet, built by Harland & Wolf etc.
    Yep. 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r7ZyFY]IMAG4686[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

warns74
    Free Member

I forgot how crap a company they were to deal with when a problem arises.

I’m not an Orange fan boy and I’ve never owned a Five but I do have a Clockwork HT which is 2 years old, (the only Orange I’ve ever owned). I also appreciate different people have had different experiences with Orange, but my recent one was definitely not a reason to dismiss them as a choice.

Took 6 months off work to tour around Australia and took the bike with me. After what was luckily my last intended ride I cleaned up the bike ready to pack it up and found a hairline crack on the seat stay. I took some photos, emailed them to Orange UK and the distributor in Oz and the customer service could not have been better, they both came straight back (got a call from the Oz distributor on a Sunday) and even came up with options on how to get me a replacement frame shipped out to Oz if I wanted. In the end I decided to sort it when I got home and the frame was waiting for me when I got back. Pretty good service for a pretty low cost frame.

Personally I like the Alpine 5 but would probably want a frame only option and self build.

chestrockwell

The rear wheel does not rub the swing arm on my 5 29. It’s a great bike and much better (IMO obviously) then my mates Camber Evo.

Orange have been great whenever I’ve had dealings with them as well.

Good to see loads of people have strong opinions on bikes they’ve not riden, as per the STW way.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oh wait, have I ridden one ? Yup.
    Did I like it ? T’was mediocre at best.
    Did it bounce to the point of making me want to get off the ferry in a storm? Yup.
    Did the rear wheel rub the stays? Of course it did.
    What conditions did you ride it in? Nidderdale loop.
    What was this bike you speak? Giro 29’er.
    Would you recommend the bike to anyone you know? Yes, but then explain its faults and that you could buy something more suitable.

I really have nothing against Orange. For a UK company they have done exceptionally well in a very crowded marketplace. They have a very long list of loyal fans, support for their ethos and take the filing cabinate jibes rather well. But i do think we should be in at least the 20th Centuary for bike design.

Everyone has their favorite bike and brand, thankfully Ton asked a decent question to which he’s gotten some good answers, including mine.

chestrockwell

You must have a high opinion of yourself to think that was directed at you.

rickon
    Free Member

But i do think we should be in at least the 20th Centuary for bike design

Do you mean specifically in suspension design?

With a decent shock with proper damping a single pivot is as good a DW/VPP/Maestro/SplitLink. (I suspect you rode the Gyro with a Fox EVO CTD shock, which is horrific).

It’s the geometry that matters, not the tech. And Orange have that totally bang on, to the exclusion of most other long travel 29ers.

Most are far too short, so you have to size up, which means either low stand over, or not being able to slam the seat (or riding a gate).

I’d rather have proper geometry that fits me than the latest tech that means you can get away with a poorly damped shock.

EDIT: Damn, I’ve become an Orange fan-boy somehow. I never liked them, then I rode a properly setup Alpine Five, and within a couple of minutes of descending had to have one.

D0NK

ticsmon – Member

I’m biased butrecognises stonework, will be keeping an eye out for ticsmon on local trails.

mrblobby
    Free Member

like the look of the quaterhorse, or the niner steel long travel thing.

Niner ROS9? It is rather lovely and I probably would, even though it’s stupidly priced for what it is 😳

ticsmon

What about this stonework D0NK?

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

My dealings with Orange weren’t great. My bike was visibly out of alignment and the shop agreed with this. The shop sent the bike back to Orange as they do (very helpful shop by the way) and Orange phoned me with……” It’s within our tolerances, because it’s hand built it’s hard to get them perfect”, to which I asked what their tolerances are. 5MM was the answer, FIVE millimeters!!!!! Are they serious?

Never again.

chestrockwell

I like the look of Orange FS and think the HT’s above look awkward and minging. Seems none of us are right.

bantasanta
    Free Member

It’s heavy and those tyres are crap,

Why the hate on conti trail kings?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

that question was answered a page back.

I’ve always been surprised at the success of the 5. Every one I’ve ridden felt basic and flexy straight away.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Lusting after a bike from a brand i swore never to buy from.’ is closed to new replies.