• This topic has 102 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by AdamW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Aldi shopping list
  • Kryton57

So. We’ve an Aldi opening near us soon. What items should a 2+2 family like us be considering? List please:

jon1973
    Free Member

Olives stuffed with anchovies.

onehundredthidiot

Beer

Last week had, Traquair Bear Ale and Border Brewery Foxy blonde

Garry_Lager

Easier to list what you shouldn’t buy, as most stuff is good. Certainly all fruit, veg and meat can be bought with impunity.

Their instant coffee is v bad.
    Cheese is ok but nothing special.
    Don’t go crazy with their cycling stuff just because you got an awesome pair of leg warmers for five quid. Some great value garments, but some shite as well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wine, salmon, cold cuts, tunnocks caramel wafers, beers, wotsit copies.

Waitrose for everything else of course.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pesto is good, as is Aberdeen Angus fillet steak. Brioche rolls, line caught tuna, mayonnaise, toro loco merlot, chorizo slices, fish cakes, Pinot Grigio.

Love aldi.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

The only items I (we really, family input) have had issues with from Aldi are their ketchup and coleslaw. Everything else is dirt cheap and top drawer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agree, the tomato ketchup is mingin.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

the only thing I’ve now decided isn’t that great or great value is their ground coffee packs. even the waitrose own brand is actually cheaper per gram or at least pretty much the same with more varieties and tastes better.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Keep you eyes peeled for very expensive spirits going cheap.

DezB
    Free Member

I did a quick shop in there today formsome barbeque stuff.
    They have pizzas (decent ones) for £1.49!

Edric64
    Free Member

Alcafe is fine for instant coffee ,their coffee beans are very good

v8ninety

Bratwurst!!!!!!!!!!

MussEd
    Free Member

Pizza on a bbq? That’s just wrong.

Been shopping at Aldi since waaaaay before it was acceptable. Agree about the ketchup, they’ve got work to do on that one.

Venison meatballs and steaks are absolutely delicious and very cheap! With regards to cheese, their Vintage Scottish cheddar cannot be beaten!

Oh and Toro Loco Tempranillo wine is a favourite. As is the ridiculously cheap Taurus cider. I could go on…

mikey74
    Free Member

What’s their veg like?

wallop

Magnum dishwasher tablets are excellent and a really good price.

Apparently the wagyu burgers are tasty.

The veg is good but selection sometimes limited so you learn to adapt.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pizza on a bbq? That’s just wrong.

Pizza done in a weber with the lid on, and a pizza stone is a joy.

wallop

Oh and their copycat magnum ice creams are really nice!

br
    Free Member

Maul, electric chainsaw, 1m long sds drill bits.

just some of the items I’ve bought while doing the shopping in Aldi 🙂

Salmon Wellington is decent, and the Beef ones aren’t bad. Veg/Salad is cheaper than other supermarkets. Deecent beers and wine is better quality for the same price point.

budgierider67

Vegetable crisps
    Estevez Cabernet Sauvignon Carmenére red wine.

Rscott
    Free Member

Id rather do a list of stuff not to buy their, with exception from the specials. The only things I wont buy are the ketchup instant coffee and branded bread as there own is not only better but has less preservatives in it. But I am biased as I work for them.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Meatsters! – Pepperami style snack sausages, a strip of five individually pouched 25g servings is yours for £1.15. These are proper trucker zombie apocalypse nibbles, and despite being found in the chilled section they don’t need refrigeration, they’ll sit happily in your pack for months.

woody21
    Free Member

London Dry Gin

Candodavid
    Free Member

Use Aldi every week now, pretty much get everything from there except washing up liquid and washing liquid, these are still bought through Wilkinsons to keep the pennies spent down.
    Ketchup and brown sauce is bit crap

CHB

Their Parmesan and cold meats are fantastic quality. Right up there with Ocado/Waitrose. I have yet to have a bad bottle of wine from them. Their steak is the best I know of from any source (even my local premium butcher can only match it).I have been a huge fan of Aldi quality and value for more than a decade.

tomd
    Free Member

The wild boar cured sausage and the Belgian waffles. We do 90% of our shopping there, it’s all good with a few brilliant items

Edit: Re. the veg I know for a fact that in our region it comes off the same packing line as the rest of the supermarket stuff to the same spec

duckman

They recently spent a huge amount of money on Scottish microbeers,apparently they also sell food as well.

theotherjonv

We’ve got one coming soon too – (might be the same one, Burpham, I can’t remember where the OP lives but have a feeling it’s nearby). Can’t wait to see if it’s as good as their French counterpart, L’Idl, where I’m a regular devotee (in Farnham, so fully recognize seeing the posh folks in there trying not to be seen. But they’ve got the registration number of your X5, madam, you’ve been rumbled!).

Virtually nothing is brands you recognize, but often a lot of it looks alarmingly similar (passing off, us?)

Their posh muesli / granola looks similar to that Dorset cereals stuff but a fraction of the price. Cold cuts and cheeses, if you buy their best stuff is all DoC controlled so has to meet the standards of the producer cartels (Roquefort is great as is their Parma ham). For a fast slam it in the oven meal the brisket / pulled pork / ribs ‘ready meals’ are worth a try for about £4 a shot.

But the killer is their ribeye steak. Two decent sized ribeyes for £6.50, and they taste superb. But don’t tell anyone, last couple of times I’ve been in stocks seem to be getting low. Only downside is they are not a thick cut so getting charred on the outside for the flavour while still pink in the middle is a challenge. Solved with a plumbers blowtorch.

Kryton57

Im on London.

But quite a list! I thought this was going to be a smaller more selective list, but I can see us spending quite a bit there on out our first visit. We’d be using it as a top up but I can see some extras falling in the basket.

cjr61

Mrs CJR and I combo Sainsburys with Aldi.

Aldi is great for the occasional specials. Good for cleaning products (always rated high in Which mag), veg (learning to read the use by date is a science), store cupboard. Cheese is limited if you like variety. We’ve saved about £20 a week doing a half and half shop.

Had some great wine from there too at less than £4.50.

Rock on

garvaldnights
    Free Member

It’s all about the beer here in East Lothian. Aldi is stocking about forty different Scottish real ales and lagers from all sorts of wee companies. Quite cheap and worth buying across the range for a summer beer tasting experiment.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Williams Brothers “Perfect Storm”…..delicious IPA.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member
    What’s their veg like?

It’s as good as all the others, but limited to mostly the core veg. Some less core stuff ie parsnips can be a bit hit and miss on supply, it’s one of the drawbacks I’ve found.

They have pizzas (decent ones) for £1.49!

They also have curry/rice ready meals for £1.45, which are great for taking to work

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Their 21 day matured steaks are delicious even when prepared by my kack handed culinary buffoon-ness. I tried their Wagu burgers, and even though the % of Wagu beef is not as high as other premium supermarket versions they are still delicious. Their chicken in roasting bags are good too.

Their version of Mini-Cheddars are better than the originals. their version of Pringles not quite so. their version of the popular breakfast cereals are very good. just tried their premium tea bags which stand up favourably to my usual tipple (Twinings Everyday).

Not too impressed by their Yogurts – not horrible, but just not quite as good as the branded ones. Or their oven Pizza’s and ready made curry cooking sauces – including their Thai sauces.

The Wine is very good and every now and again they do a run of proper decent wine at a very reasonable price, so keep your eyes peeled. A few months ago they were doing a run of one such properly decent wine about half the price it would normally cost. A few wine buffs at work were scouring the local Aldi’s stocking up on it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Food, booze and stuff. Crivit bike helmet – one didnt last too long (headband fatigued/snapped) the new commuter style one seems more robust with removable blinky. Also a great pair of Bresser binoculars which Mrs Rider loves to peeces, still going strong ten tears on.

All the snickers/milky way/mars minis copies are similarly addictive.

*edit*. Ooops I meant Lidl. Same/similar thing?

Drac

Ours opens in September so making notes.

Klunk
    Free Member

peanut butter indistinguishable from sunpat
    cream of tomato soup ditto to the heinz
    chorizo
    pepperoni
    orange juice (lidl is nicer and cheaper but still different league to most stuff in tescos)
    pancetta plain and smoked (makes a great carbonara)

br
    Free Member

tbh I make a full shopping list – go to Aldi first, then Asda.

Any brands etc I can’t get from Aldi I get from Asda.

We live rural, so it is a ‘trip’.

DezB
    Free Member

Pizza done in a weber with the lid on, and a pizza stone is a joy.

No, we didn’t BBQ the pizza! “Weber”? er, no – one of these:

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The Aldi instant cup soups (45p per four pack) aren’t bad when you have a full range of varieties to choose from, rather than only a whole box full of tomato flavour. Their supplies can be a bit hit and miss in that regard so stock up while you can.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Aldi shopping list’ is closed to new replies.