• This topic has 102 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by AdamW.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Aldi shopping list
  • trout
    Free Member

Their trail mix is great mixed with a bag of their brazil nuts

barkm
    Free Member

aldi has been a revelation for us this year, we started beginning of year, going from a ‘full’ shop at sainsburys, to aldi primarily, and sainsburys for the bits we can’t get.
    It’s just msotly all good, only thing we’re buying from Sainsburys now is dog food (fussy hound), and Tomato sauce!

Not mentioned here is frozen fish is excellent, salmon and tuna especially.

What was totally unexpected was I just love the no nonsense shopping experience. Saved me about 30 mins on a weekly shop, £50 a week (family of 4 incl alcohol), and we seem to get better quality goods.

welshfarmer

Their ground coffee is not good. Watery and smaller packs work out no cheaper than quality brands in Waitrose. The veg is fair but doesn’t seem to keep as well as Waitrose stuff and the bananas are very expensive compared to Waitrose if trying to buy Fairtrade.

On the plus side they now do a great Wheat beer and their organic baby food fruit sachets are cheaper than energy gels and taste better too.

binners

We’ve also moved over to getting most stuff from Aldi, then everything else from Morrisons down the road. Its great! All the meat is very good. The steaks are always top notch, and miles less than you pay in the other supermarkets. Chorizo and any cooked meats are bloody good as well. The joints of ham are outstanding value for £3 a pop

If you’re having a barby then Aldi Bratwust should be the first thing on your list. They’re bloody gorgeous! They’re burgers are lovely too.

And the wine is outstanding. Try their Argentine Malbec. A personal favourite

edhornby

the toro loco is a cracking midweek wine 🙂 and the NZ pinot noir is great with just about everything food (except a boeuf bourguignon which you would go for the argie malbec which is also very good)
    Gavi is my go-to white
    The bottles of st etienne lager that are 79p for a 500cl are surprisingly good (better than the stubbies which aren’t that great tbh), I think they are discontining the line as it’s not listed on the website
    steinhauser is good, Schoffenhofer and the ales can’t go wrong with Wainwright for 1.25!
    very good port
    very good london gin
    whisky is a bit meh, the highland black is ok but not punchy enough for my taste, the glen marnoc isn’t worth bothering with
    I’m going to try the cognac sometime will report back 🙂

sausages are good, the ones in the white packs are fine, try the lamb joints from the freezer, great to have when there is nothing in

good parmesan (the air dried one) and the mozzarella is cracking. the moser roth 70% chocolate is nice for a treat (or the 85% if you prefer darker)

nappies are good

only thing I’m not a fan of is the pasta, it’s a bit cheap

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

If fancying a summer drink treat we”ll buy lemons and a few bottles of sparkling water. Squeeze lemon juice into a chilled water – hey presto – a refreshing beverage!

– A good low-fat snack on the go is a fresh carrot. Just eat as is. Same goes with apples.

– I find toilet roll useful in any number of circumstances, especially the obvious.

– Some people like milk in their hot drinks. A container of fresh milk is useful to keep in the fridge. Or UHT for a long shelf life is useful for unnanounced guests.

– you can get bread either whole or sliced. Or those rolls for picnics etc. Add some sliced ham, or cheese and butter or spread – a ‘sandwich’ (like a portable meal)*

* Tin foil is often useful on any list.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Fresh burgers a must!!! Either the fancy ones or even the standard ones good

Fishcakes
    the “raddler” beers
    Olives
    the steam microwave thai chicken curry
    the speciality crisps
    brioche buns/hotdog rolls
    French/english mustard
    the hotdogs in glass jars
    the ready made mango chicken chilled salad
    family sized fresh orange juice not from concentrate
    pastrami sanwhich meat
    smoked ham (yellow packet)

Pickers

As well as the stuff already mentioned, they do their version of Soreen Malt Loaf, better than the original IMHO

zzjabzz
    Free Member

The Berliner Kindl is a great beer, the Schofferhofer is a good wheat beer, even the cheapo french Brasserie is reasonably tasty for a few cold ones. Ever-changing ales are reasonably priced too. The chicken thigh fillets are good value, the chorizo ring, the Bratwurst, sirloin is tasty too. The ‘super six’ range is always worth picking up a couple of items from and seeing what you can come up with. Pasta is cheap (although not a great range). Pre-prepped salads are worth a look too…

samunkim
    Free Member

+1 for Beer
    Hopping Hare is my all time favorite with a meal

votchy
    Free Member

We do our weekly shop there, saves us apprx £40/wk compared to the same shop at Tesco!! The only thing we cannot get on with is their butter, have tried all the different varieties and they are all rubbish so have to resort to one of the other supermarket brands.

ourmaninthenorth

Are Aldi still hateful to their employees? (Or is that just Lidl?)

binners

Aldi is regularly voted one of the best companies to work for

iain1775
    Free Member

Wine
    Beer
    Bacon
    Dishwasher tablets
    Axe
    Rubber gloves
    Compressor
    Chicken breasts
    Nappies

MoreCashThanDash

Can I add granola and any of their chocolate to the list? And 12 bottles of assorted ales for £14.

Their cornflakes used to be rank, may have improved since I last risked it.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Kooliburra white wine.
    Cambala White wine.
    Meatster wee pepperami style sausage snacks.
    Fruit n Fibre and Special K copy cereals.
    Mature cheddar.
    Frikadellan burgers.
    Ground coffee is fine.
    All fruit n Veg.
    Asia Specialities Noodles
    Basmati rice.
    Dry roasted peanuts.
    All their yoghurts that I’ve had a good.
    Lawn “Feed n Seed”. lol

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Agree with most of the comments above – when we moved three years ago we began to use the Aldi just found the corner and fo the vast majority of our good shopping there. One thing I like over other supermarkets is the check out system which is far quicker than the mind numbing wait we experience in our local tesco and asda and the willingness of staff to quickly open an additional check out if queues are building up.

isitafox
    Free Member

We had a new Aldi open nearby recently and I shop there99% of the time only going to Morrisons for the stuff I can’t get like wholemeal pasta, brown rice, etc. I spend a fortune on fruit in there and the large packs of chicken breasts are not only cheap but very tasty (and the breasts are very large 😉 ). The only thing I don’t like is stuff like the raisins are all injected with sunflower oil and ready meals are seriously high in fats. When you compare to branded stuff a lot of it is pretty unhealthy (have a look at the fat/sugar/salt/etc values in the Dairylea alternative compared to the branded stuff) but generally it’s awesome.

Also I always have a multipack of water in my car now, pack of 12 500ml bottles is about £2 which comes in handy all the time when you just want to grab a bottle!

grahamt1980

If no one has mentioned it yet. Get the chocolate brioche loaf they do. It’s awesome. Will walk into town just to pick one up

jimmy

Made an increasingly frequent stop at Aldi today after shopping at John Lewis and boots for baby stuff. So I’ll be taking back the £9 cellular blanket to John Lewis (Aldi £2.50, made in China pure cotton – same as JL) and pending tests stop buying pampers nappies online (9p each) and buy Aldi’s own award-winning nappies (6p each). Same goes for wipes. Also chanced a rib eye steak and Williams Bros Perfect Storm. I love it. It looks like it’ll be rubbish but they just don’t have infinite unnecessary choices of the big supermarkets.

codybrennan
    Free Member

It was announced last week that our local co-op (Scotmid) will become an Aldi later this year. Absolutely gutted for the staff, but guiltily excited that we’ll have an Aldi more or less on our doorstep.

jimmy

Scotmid staff will hopefully be offered jobs with a reputedly top employer, so win-win!

MoreCashThanDash

We have developed a love of their cans of lager shandy. Perfect on a summers evening when you can’t get drunk properly.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I hope so Jimmy.

tomd
    Free Member

They had cycling stuff on special buy last week but more importantly massive boxes of nappies and decking oil. I love Aldi. They seem to know what I need week to week.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

So if the steaks are good – do they have in BBQ’s in to cook them on?

tomd
    Free Member

Yes

beefheart
    Free Member

Loads is good and loads is shit.
    I can however recommend the 2L tubs of Cornish Vanilla Ice Cream- proper good stuff.

MoreCashThanDash

Sorry to resurrect this but the Spicy Jalapeno Coleslaw has proved a revelation in my lunchtime cheese and ham sarnie… 😯

cinnamon_girl

Am I the only person to lose the will to live when stepping inside Aldi? I only go there for coffee, the interior is depressing with its gloomy lighting so I literally run in and run faster out.

Marin
    Free Member

Wow cinnamon I go the shops to buy food not to hang out. Still each to their own.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Back to waitrose CG!

cinnamon_girl

😆

Asda this morning, Waitrose is over-rated and full of rude but rich people, farm shops are a nicer experience.

simmy
    Free Member

Regarding the checkouts in Aldi, they have to open another checkout if they get 2 units beyond the end of the belt.

2 units is 2 lots of shopping. So one person shopping alone would be one unit, whereas a family of 4 with one lot of shopping would also be one unit so it doesn’t go off the number of persons waiting.

Think they have a system where they have one or two staff on tills with others out on the shopfloor as back up.

Also they have to get a certain amount of items through each checkout per hour. I used to secret shop there so I had to know how they worked.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Simmy, that has to be the dullest post of all time. well done.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Chorizo, Red Wine (Torro Locco under £4 wins awards), Fruit & Veg. Love Aldi, but the coffee is dreadful.

cinnamon_girl

Just to say that I don’t ‘hang out’ in supermarkets, just rather everyone else would bugger off to leave me in peace.

#miserablecah

tyrionl1
    Free Member

Like everyone else we only started buying toilet rolls and none branded stuff, but as time as passed pretty much try and buy everything there, the Norpack butter, the chocolate, the wine, even some beer, the meat, fish, seafood, veg all fine and half the price of Waitrose, the other store in town. Only snag the council charge to park so you risk a ticket, whereas in the next town Lidl is free.

However you do have to work around the six fingered banjo players with their two headed kids up from the Marsh and it is a bit low light depressing as CG so aptly puts it, but sinking your teeth into their eating liquorice puts that all behind you.

Oh and did I mention their chocolate with hazlenuts in it? Thing of the past now thanks to the dietfest.

MoreCashThanDash

Currently working through a packet of their own Fruit and Nut Chocolate. Found the Run Fruit and Nut a bit too sweet, but it was worth a try…..

Cougar

Simmy, that has to be the dullest post of all time. well done.

And yet, yours managed to be even duller. Well done.

I don’t think I’ve ever been in Aldi (or Lidl) other than for a quick nosey when they first opened, and I wasn’t impressed. On the back of this thread I might give them a go next time I do a weekly shop. Cheers.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Aldi shopping list’ is closed to new replies.