• This topic has 4,998 replies, 121 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,241 through 4,280 (of 4,999 total)
  • Zwift meetups and social rides ?
  • dandasbike
    Free Member

I’m booked on to do the 12.31 crit city race this Saturday @oopnorth, like yourself I’ve not done that course so 8 laps will defo be beneficial.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I see there is some mention of people wanting to try a crit and also a bit of unsure about Sunday hills…

There’s a “boost” crit at 8am Sunday. ZHQ FutureWorks Crit City Race – Boost mode https://www.zwift.com/events/view/1569659

10 laps but it’s in the right direction. I’ve not done a boost race before but I think it basically gives you a once a lap power up or something?

Might be worth a bash then we can pencil in a shorter route like muir and the mountain or something for Sunday hills at 8.30? – or volcano after party is 9am for the tdz. They’re all after parties this week so good chance to grab some new route badges.

robbo1234biking

I need to fit in this weekend:

Stage 4 TdZ (as yesterdays activity crashed 1km from the end)
    Stage 5 TdZ
    At least 2 laps of Downtown Dolphin on a MTB (going to look like a right wierdo on that start line) to calibrate the times for Tuesday. Cant get a logical time at the moment and fastest lap times in ZP and Strava don’t match either (about 20 seconds difference between them!).

Not worked out when I am going to do what yet. Also need to not annoy the wife!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Also need to not annoy the wife!

Are you giving up breathing?

DrP

when do the TDZ routes switch over?? I’ve just done TDZ 4… I thought they change on wednesdays…not weekends..?

DrP

robbo1234biking

https://www.zwift.com/uk/tour-de-zwift/ride

Think they are every 4 days so the changeover day is random.

Are you giving up breathing?

That’s a good point!

phil56

@robbo1234biking – but TDZ Stage 5 doesn’t start until Sunday and runs until next Thursday – unless you’re plan is to agree to leave that ride until later when your wife complains?!!

oopnorth
    Free Member

Thnaks @dandasbike. There is also a ZHQ Futureworks crit on Saturday at 8am, which I’m kind of eyeing up, 6 laps for Cat C (me), Downtown Dolphin as well. Right now there is only me signed up in C plus 1xB and 2xD riders. Just want to get a feel of the course but if I can’t make that then I’ll do the Sunday one.

Sunday I’m doing the TdZ stage 5, signed up for the 9am Volcano one…definitely not doing New York!!

robbo1234biking

@phil56 I am jesting really – she is fine with it. its not like we have a lot of other things to do and now she puts an audio book on with headphones when I am riding to drown out the noise!

I just want to get Stage 5 done this weekend rather than during the week as it is a bit longer and the week tends to be busy with workouts and races!

funkybaj
    Free Member

@oopnorth I’ve joined the 8am Crit on Saturday too, have never rode a Crit before so keen to have a nosey.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Great, see you there!

There goes my chance to just chill around the course 😉

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

^ I might join that too. We can’t be having @oopnorth getting a cup with a start list of 2!

I won’t really. I’ve got a nice chilled meetup planned for tomorrow night followed by Zoom and beers so Saturday AM will be a lazy one. Tempted to try on Saturday PM though. Sunday’s forecast looks dry and less windy so in two minds whether to head outside. I’ll keep an eye out for who’s on the TdZ stages though and might see you there.

oopnorth
    Free Member

The more the merrier @slowpuncheur! We could take it over as an impromptu STW event…”Saturday Crit” anyone?? 😉

Anyway even in a field of 1, I would still lose!! Lol!

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

ZP has now bumped me in to Cat B so I either sandbag in Cat C or get my ar*e handed to me in Cat B! I expect a write up of your recce. I reckon you’ll do well on that circuit and that length race.

oopnorth
    Free Member

I think it’s everyone riding together, A, B, C and D’s, just different number of laps for each Cat.

kirky72
    Free Member

#Dangerbrian the boost mode is altogether different, at the offset you can pick mild boost, medium, massive. You get a boost in watts for a given period plus 100/200/300w onto your current speed. However you have to charge it, whilst charging your power is reduced by an amount 50/100/150, the longer the boost the shorter it lasts. If you want a more normal ride pick the lowest option, or do as I did and edged my bets with the medium. It takes a bit of getting used to, however having said that the first time I did one I managed to win after disqualifications.

#oopnorth, pretty sure the future works ones are staggered and separate starts also with differing numbers of laps from a to d. 12 laps down to 6. I’ve done a couple of 10 laps and would say that 8 is a good number to allow people to go all out for the duration.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Ah ok @kirky72, not a problem as it will only be a recce, although it would be nice to have more riders to see how it rides as a group and gauge tactics.

I might jump on the 8am one tomorrow morning instead, joining Robbo, after our workout ride. All depends on the legs.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Well my Crit virginity has been popped…just finished the 8am one with boost mode.

Got on straight after the vo2 workout with Robbo and Stumpy, so the legs were not exactly fresh.
    Anyway it went ok, stuck with the front group all the way round, medium boost definitely helped on the hill.
    On last lap I was at front over the hill but then I lost the group before the rollers, legs were jelly after the workout. Managed to put in an effort to catch a few and came 6th.

Not bad for first time and after an hour long workout, on fresher legs I reckon I could podium.
    Good fun tho, not much time to think really…its over quick.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Oh and thanks @robbo1234biking for the motivation from the sidelines! 🤣🤣

robbo1234biking

I tried my best lol – I didn’t expect you to reply! Looks like it is about 12-15 seconds a lap slower on the MTB (I did 2 laps on the MTB to try it out).

Also you got a podium on ZP!

https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=1556469

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ta for the invite for Monday robbo, will see how I go. Decided to pedal to the office this morning instead of joining you folks and I’m rather regretting it – right leg is completely dead after I slipped on ice and skidded across the road, somehow straight between oncoming cars. It was like something from frogger.

I think I’m going to hurt tomorrow.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Also you got a podium on ZP!

Hahahaha awesome!!! Result! 😀
    The power is fine, it’s the tactics I need to work on for these, when to be on front, power up’s, etc. The burito and ghost confused me cos I’ve never had them before. A different type of race but all good fun.

Was so funny seeing you Robbo in full aero gear, helmet, etc with a MTB, everyone must have thought who is this crazy fool!! Lol!

savoyad

Oh no @dangeourbrain, hope you are OK. It was slick, invisible ice round here first thing as well. Weird conditions.

robbo1234biking

I got a screenshot of me in the lead @oopnorth. Had to be done really. Although it says I am 4th I was first on the road for sure.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Weird conditions

Thing is, in hindsight, I saw a driver doing what looked like a three point turn mid junction as I approached and wondered WTF the idiot was doing. Having then measured my length on the same bit of tarmac it became clear their attempt to turn right had in practice just been straight on instead of either turning or following the road left.

I saw three more cars make a bee line for the hedge as I attempted to walk up the very icy hill in cleats.

I’ll be fine if a little uncomfortable mind, nothing more than a bruised ego [/s] backside to worry about.

Still I guess that another reason to add to the “why are my numbers rubbish?” list for now.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

@robbo1234biking What on earth is that battery thing?!?

@oopnorth
    Well done ont podium.

An all cat crit on Tuesday is going to be hilarious (by about 22.00 when I can see straight)

savoyad

“Just slap the boost bar anywhere, it’s not like it’s an award winning interface to begin with”.

Otherwise, that is a superb screenshot @robbo1234biking. The (STW) tags with you both at the front lend just enough of a team/conspiracy vibe that it looks like you might even have been up to something and known exactly what you were doing bursting off the front in your aero helmet / MTB / purple socks like that.

robbo1234biking

The battery is boost mode. Bit of a description here – you essentially charge up a battery and then choose to use it at appropriate times. Just another power up really.

https://zwiftinsider.com/boost-mode-zwifthacks/

zilog6128

The battery is boost mode. Bit of a description here – you essentially charge up a battery and then choose to use it at appropriate times. Just another power up really.

I have heard of it but never seen it in a race (not that I’ve done a “normal” race for ages now what with all the STW rides!) Is it mainly/only in Crit races? Fun? Does it actually do much or add anything?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

How easy is it to actually use? I find using normal power ups a pita so never really do as I can’t reach my keyboard /mouse from on the turbo and my phone screen is usually blathered in sweat and just does random things if I try it through companion.
    Oh and of course I only seem to get small xp bonuses unless I’m doing laps of ticktock, when I get feathers.

robbo1234biking

I didn’t bother using it as I wanted data on the MTB but I think @oopnorth used it pretty successfully each time round the hill. Its a bit of a gimmick I guess and it only available on crit races. The crit race on Tuesday isn’t in boost mode though.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I was just going to say it’s great to see @oopnorth and @robbo1234biking flying the STW flag so well in that screenshot until I realised that you were 10 SECONDS into the event! Still, those Tuesday nights have clearly honed your starting techniques.

Did you manage to race tactically with such a small field or did it feel like a 10m TT?

@dangerourbrain in the last week alone I have sweated enough to accidentally invite a random Zwifter to a meetup and to get a wiki search result for Great Britain. Hope you heal well and you make Tuesday.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Really easy to use Brian, you get to control it through your companion app, it has its own tab and you can also fire your Power up off from the same tab. I chose the medium boost which gives you 17 seconds of 200w extra, which worked great on the hill, then I hit charge over the top and it didn’t affect your speed at all, plus charged pretty quickly. In one lap I used it on the hill, then charged and used it again in the sprint after the rollers.

Only thing is that depending on which level of boost you use you get extra weight added, so the medium was and extra 7.5kg for me, but in this kind of race it wasn’t a big factor.

I need to try a “normal” crit now, to see if I am in fact useless on the hill and the boost was covering that 😉

robbo1234biking

@slowpuncheur To be fair I did manage to stay with the front group until the start of the 3rd lap but I was knackered from a TTT last night and then a 1 hour VO2 max session before hand. Oopnorth was planning to only do a couple of laps but I think he really got into the race. It is quite tactical as well.

@weeksy
    is the master of the crit – he loves them and knows a lot about the right tactics on the race. I have raced against him before on a crit and he put out a lot less power than me and finished well ahead of me so being tactical can definitely help!

oopnorth
    Free Member

@slowpuncheur it was over very quickly and there is not much time to think in the 6 lap event, I was just trying to stay with the front group but in the draft, ready for any surges. They come thick and fast!

Basically the first lap is fast due to the start, then it’s keep with the group, last lap goes all off after the hill…unfortunately that’s where my legs failed me.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Oh and I wasn’t planning to do the full race but Robbo had stopped and kept goading me and giving me false hope in his messages…so I had to keep going!

kirky72
    Free Member

Opted for a run up the Alpe this morning so I could spend some time put of the saddle. did it as the tour of fire and ice as I thought I needed the badge it turned out later that I had already done it. oops.

Any how other than the first two times up the Alpe back in 2018 ive only done it as part of a long hilly route so havent tested the best time. my previous best was 1.01 50secs April 2018.

today I managed to crack the hour with 51.34 an average of 296w for the climb. I was up and down in power within the sections but the average power for each section was were I wanted it to be. I aimed for the longer sections to be as close to 300w or just above as possible so lots at 305 and eased off every few sections at around 280w to try and keep my HR below 180 until the last few sections.

So really pleased overall but still know even without increasing my FTP theres improvements to be made. as I struggle to just sit and spin out at a good even pace I’m really up and down constantly.

if my ftp is 303 should I be happy with 296 over 51 mins or really be pushing a bit higher. what average would I need to break 50 minutes and is that possible within my ftp.

for this effort I was rewarded with yet another set of glothes. does anybody want to swap 10 pairs of gloves for some light weight wheels.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Hope you heal well and you make Tuesday.

Makes two of us. I was disappointed not to make the start line this week but the quick 10 minutes at 5pm made clear a race would be bad!

On the upside I’ve managed to categorically prove to myself that my fitness is a way back from September/October time. Did half a workout last night which should have been hard but doable and was shot by the third rep. Ditto the tdz on Wednesday which I had running in erg from elite, and I was cooked by 45minutes or so.
    I twigged though I’ve barely got my heart rate above 170 in months, not sure if I’ve just lost the ability to suffer or if something really did knock me when I was a bit grotty back in autumn. Last night was the first time I’ve gotten up to 180bpm since October apparently.

I think tomorrow I may have to do a proper ftp test to see if I can get some sensible numbers now I’ve accepted the figure I have isn’t right, at least then I can try build up from where I am instead of constantly over reaching and breaking myself!

oopnorth
    Free Member

Well done kirky72, an awesome time! I still need to break that hour but seems a tough one for a big bloke like me.

Small steps @dangeourbrain …small steps! It will come, just be patient.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

what average would I need to break 50 minutes and is that possible within my ftp

@kirky72
    4w/kg should see 49 minutes. There abouts.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,241 through 4,280 (of 4,999 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.