• This topic has 4,998 replies, 121 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,881 through 4,920 (of 4,999 total)
  • Zwift meetups and social rides ?
  • robbo1234biking

Thanks @stumpy01 for the Zwift beacon to wear on Jennride. Unfortunately the helmet mount didn’t fit my helmet but a great idea (I think someone suggested I should wear one on Jennride so they could fine me).

Nice to meet some of the stw Zwift crew as well as I feel like I have been riding with you for the past year

piemonster

Not really any help stcolin but I used an iPad for years and it was the easiest set up I can imagine.  Everything connected via Bluetooth is a matter of seconds 🤷‍♂️

Fast boot up, fast connection, only experienced one or two game drop outs, even then that wasnt too bad as I was one the AdZ but still in the game with no one else so grabbed  the KoM Jersey. Which is entirely valid.

Still just got a pair of stupid gloves mind you.

piemonster

Oh and cheers DrP and Oopnorth, monitor added as a birthday suggestion

mrhoppy

Now that we are being released I was thinking that maybe we should see about a Sunday hills ride but in real life. It was great to meet up with @robbo1234biking and @slowpuncheur at Jennride and put faces to Zwift avatars and it might be cool to open that up.

So vague plan that was forming in my head was to do a ride for the Sunday hills crew around the Shropshire hills on MTBs picking up some good hills but mixing it up with some of the more fun out of the way trails too. So 30km and 1000m climbing ish.

Would anyone be interested in doing this and then we can see about when might work.

kirky72
    Free Member

Well done Robbo, Paul and mrhoppy on the Jennride. I did the MTL on Saturday which is less than half the distance and height and certainly wouldn’t have wanted to do it again on the Sunday so hats off to you guys.

Robbo did you train for it exclusively on Zwift, I’m always a little concerned that time spent climbing on zwift or even on the road doesn’t translate perfectly to grinding up mega steep stuff on the MTB.

Any body still zwifting or racing these days, I think I’ve only done one race in the last month and before that just completed the new Mahdi routed. Should have probably suspended the subscription but didn’t get around to it and due to start a new venture and rota from August so may have to ride indoors more than out again.

robbo1234biking

Kirky – yes pretty much exclusively inside – I did 100km on the road bike and hilly Wednesday night social rides. I went on the MTB once to Cannock this year before the Jennride! That wasnt the plan but the wive’s shifts limited the amount I could get out for a decent time. I used a TrainerRoad plan though and used Zwift for entertainment.

My biggest issue was that my cadence wasnt slow enough at times for my gearing so I need to do some slower cadence blocks next time. There was a lot of walking in any case as a lot wasnt rideable (well maybe by riding gods!) and once my HR was drifting into the 160s I would tend to get off and walk for a bit as although I could have completed the climbs I was always aware there was more to come and didnt want to knacker myself. At that pace my walking speed was similar to riding anyway! 90 miles in though and I was still able to spin away and get up the climbs. The last 6-8 miles were killer though as I got some saddle discomfort so gettting up and down out of the saddle wasnt good! Felt fine on the Saturday so think it was the damp bib shorts the next morning that did the damage.

@mrhoppy
    I would be up for a social ride but it would depend on my wifes shifts as she works on Sundays so a Saturday would be more feasible for me.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

@kirky72. I’ve mixed and matched a bit more than Robbo but I found that zwift pushed FTP (especially during the race series) so on the climbs I was in a better place ref heart rate and fatigue than if I’d done road and MTB only. Focused workouts (Sweetspot and VO2 max especially) also really helped. Zwift has less constraints so I found doing 2 proper workouts a week was easy and complimented with races/outdoor rides built a really good base. I have a naturally low cadence but a few rides before on the MTB definitely helped for core strength. Workouts with massive changes in target power and frequent, short bursts would be of benefit. Good luck on the new venture!

@Mrhoppy
    sounds great in principle subject to dates.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Just jumped on Zwift again for what must be the first time in 6 months. I decided to do the FTP lite ramp test just to see what it was prior to starting a training plan.

No idea what the point of the lite version is, went in with an ftp of 270 but the test maxxed out at 250 which translates to an ftp of 190.

I don’t think I’d have got anywhere close to the 270 but only having the chance to get 190 max seems a bit pointless?

savoyad

@ivandobski

No idea what the point of the lite version is

zwift says (https://www.zwift.com/news/22154-how-to-ramp-test-lite?__znl=en-gb)

Ramp Test Lite is for lighter (under 60kg/132lbs) and more novice (<2 w/kg FTP) riders

Must be annoying to go through it without knowing that though…

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Cheers @savoyad, to be honest I did see that bit but did it anyway because I thought it was probably just a simplified version not an artificially capped version.

I don’t see why they’d do it, if someone who hasn’t trained with power but can actually smash out the watts selects this they’re selling themselves short.

robbo1234biking

Ok so I have put out an invite for a sprint and chill session next Tuesday (17th) at 18:30. Might not get many attendees but seen a few more people on Zwift recently and even if you aren’t currently subscribed if you use your free 25km for the month then that will get you through the ride as they don’t Chuck you off until you finish that ride.

Done a loop of makuri and there are two sprint segments per lap. Might get 2.5 laps in so maybe 5 sprints.

weeksy

Yeah why not.

What layout you got there mate? I’ll need to pre ride to see.

robbo1234biking

Flatland loop. There is a little bit of climbing but only gentle slopes – nothing steep!

kirky72
    Free Member

I might jump on Robbo, I’m not getting my usual mid week rides in at the moment so unless the weather is too nice not too ride outside I’ll be there.

Likewise the mrs is working and weather looks pants this weekend so if any body fancies a Sunday morning spin let me know.

retrorick

Ok so I have put out an invite for a sprint and chill session next Tuesday (17th) at 18:30.

I will try and join in. I’ll spend a little time prior to the session checking for updates and looking for my cycling clothes.

zilog6128

I’ll be there! Always enjoyed these. Not done any Zwifting or anything really bar bimbling and commuting for months now 😬

mrhoppy

Aye go on.

robbo1234biking

https://zwiftinsider.com/route/flatland-loop/

This is the route – rode it this morning. Should be good with the 2 sprint sections. After the first sprint section there is a small hill – we will take it easy the first two times round and then on the last sprint carry on through and race up the hill if people want to. Ill try and let everyone know the sprints are coming up.

Double check you got the invite – I had to resend it as Zwift removed everyone from it, so if you already accepted you might need to re-accept!

haloric
    Free Member

Coming back from injury, so will tagalong at the back probably, hope to be there.

haloric
    Free Member

oo – just realised its 6:30, and I’m doing this at 5:30 with son Jack – the ‘autocat classics’, done the last 3 so I’m sticking it out.

https://www.wtrl.racing/zwift-classics/#schedule

If I make it I will defo be limping along at the back.

The autocat series is an attempt to level the playing field against height and weight dopers, so got to give them some support in testing it out.

phil56

@robbo1234biking can I get an invite please? Also coming back from injury, but it would be great to get back into it
    Thanks

neilarn2

Hi @robbo1234biking

Can’t make this Tuesday doing stage 4 off the MAPP but count me in for future events.

cheers

Neil

I’m in, thanks. I was thinking last week it would be nice to do some of these evening meetups again, and the next day you sent the invite! I’m assuming the Peesbees will be beasting all of us in the sprints again!

robbo1234biking

@phil56 you should have an invite

Got 10 or 11 in so far.

Should be good. I’ve gone for meet-up only view so we don’t get tangled up with other groups. I’m thinking 4 short sprints and 1 long sprint up a hill!

robbo1234biking

Just a bump/reminder for tonight!

See you there at 6.30pm (if you want to join us!)

mrhoppy

Are we running discord for chats?

robbo1234biking

Was just going to go with the in game chat/messenger. You dont get the bleed through from other groups now which is good plus Discord only really seemed to take off with those who did the TTTs.

savoyad

@haloric is too modest to admit he won his zwift classics race last week so I’ll point it out for him. Nice one!

I don’t think I can make this tonight, but the bike is on the trainer ready so if family stuff allows I’ll jump on at the last minute. Thanks for organising @robbo1234biking.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Considering a zwift set up for my wattbike. Apple TV seems to be the most robust choice. Would purchasing the latest 4k version be wise? I’m also going to purchase a TV also and if I can get away without a 4k one then the cost comes down quite a bit.

Any opinions?

zilog6128

@YoKaiser the ATV controller is infuriating with Zwift (down to their poor UI design). Other than that it’s a great setup. The actual 3d graphics aren’t 4K but I think they’re better/smoother than the non-4K ATV as it has a faster processor? The text/menus are 4K though which probably makes them a bit clearer & easier to read.

v7fmp

unfortunately cant make tonight, as i am riding in the real world. Defo invite me to the next one tho!

weeksy

I’ll certainly be on for at least some of it… Had a chunk of outdoor stuff lately and at Swinley again tomorrow so may end up just doing half to save a bit of legs… doesn’t help that i crashed on Corkscrew yesterday either !!!

retrorick

I have updated Zwift, checked my trainer firmware and sensors. My free 25km is ready to be used at the back of the pack and last in the sprints! Going for a power nap, i’d better set my alarm just incase I oversleep. See you all later, i hope?!

haloric
    Free Member

@haloric is too modest to admit he won his zwift classics race last week so I’ll point it out for him. Nice one!

Ha ! – I’m currently right on the upper limit of a D rider, and the autocat system keeps putting me in C6, which seems to suit me. Poor Jack gets into C5 or C4, and is getting pushed to the limit. I’m also riding the ‘D’ class of the ‘no sandbagging, you will be flagged’ crits, which seems to be full of sandbaggers who can output 800 watts in the last 30 secs, and have yet to be flagged despite pushing the upper boundary. I suspect I will be formally a C in a few more rides.

Am unlikely to be present now, got a tradesman turning up at sometime after 6.

nixie

Nice win @haloric

That was fun! It was great to have one of these social rides again. I enjoyed it so much I have a new max HR from that last hill climb. Thanks @robbo1234biking and everyone who was there.

robbo1234biking

Was good to do that again. Thanks all. More meet-ups on the way!

There is a IRL meet-up on the 4th September organised by mrhoppy. Link below to the thread.

Zwifters assemble – Sunday Hills IRL 04/09

retrorick

I enjoyed the ride and the virtual company! Made a change from not biking. Might take me a fair bit of effort to get slowly up to a better standard but hopefully these events will help me out.

Thanks again Robbo. 👍

crust
    Free Member

Enjoyed that, well, when I say enjoy….

No, it was good, was pleased to hang in for 30mins as I’m starting back on the road to fitness. Needed that impetus to get on and ride so thanks for the invite.

mrhoppy

Nice hit out, not been on for a while and it was telling as I was missing the top end for the sprints.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,881 through 4,920 (of 4,999 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.