Home Forums Bike Forum Woburn trails

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Woburn trails
  • rossburton
    Free Member

So I’m thinking about heading over to Woburn for a ride with the kids but I don’t know whether to stick with the blue or ride the red. Apart from distance, what are the differences between the blue (Danesborough) and red (Longslade) trails?

For reference, both kids consider the trails at Thetford trivial (to be fair, they’re not wrong) and my eldest has done the blues at Coed-y-Brenin and Cardinham.

ampthill

The red is quite straight forward with really only one drop that needs any thought. The last time I road the blue it was too wet to bother with. So wet it was harder than the red. I assume it’s drier now so give them both a go. Neither is very long

Pay online before arrival

jake123
    Free Member

The red isn’t really very ‘red’. It also winds around a lot and you are never far from parking if you or the kids wanted to stop at any point.
    None of it is technical, but has got a little bumpy due to masses of use and the rooty terrain.

The blue for me personally isn’t as good, its a lot wetter and is much more all down then a long climb up at the end.

Trimix
    Free Member

They are both twisty and rooty. Both very similar, I’m not sure the grading works there like it does for the Welsh ones. But as jake123 says, your never more than 10 mins from the start (in a straight line). But there is just shed loads to ride there that isn’t a marked trail, so just go and explore. You can only get lost for a few minutes, its a small area.

rossburton
    Free Member

The kids are fine with twisted and rooty, but being close to the car park if you just take a fireroad sounds ideal in case someones legs give up.

Thanks, that’s been really helpful.

Dr_Bakes

I took my 11 year old there yesterday as it happens. I’ve not been since the waymarked trails went in but it was mostly familiar stuff. We did the blue (a bit under 4km) first and he really enjoyed it. I’d ridden most of it the other way round before but it was a good loop. Boggy in two places only at the moment.

We did 3/4 of the red but cut it short in the repeating looping Empire section as he was feeling it and I didn’t want to make it a chore. We went off to ogle at what they’ve done to the jump site since I was last there instead. The red was pretty beaten up; rooty and rough with a few diversions. Nothing too technical that couldn’t easily be avoided, just a bit thrashed.

dc1988

Sounds like they’ll cope fine with red

ampthill

I’d like to add that it’s fun. Have a great time

paulneenan76
    Free Member

To add, the fact that one is red and the other is blue has sod all to do with grading FYI.

Like a number of trails like this, it’s not technical for the most part – the drop on Empire is more sketchy these days though – but if you go at it fast then the you can go as fast as your tyres allow, particularly on bobs drop or spooky wood. My 5yr old has been riding it for 18months and loves it but has to walk some of the up’s.

Enjoy.

sturdylad
    Free Member

I did the red with my 9year old on his flat bar road bike yesterday…
    We missed a few bits but mostly due to tiredness.
    The blue is riding much better at the moment, only one wet bit when I rode it on Saturday but it does have a couple of slightly tougher bits.
    The climb to the finish being one, nowhere near as bad as it was when they first cut it in mind you!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Woburn trails’ is closed to new replies.