Home Forums Bike Forum what will happen if I leave an aluminium frame raw?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • what will happen if I leave an aluminium frame raw?
  • criefftony
    Free Member

Just got an ok 2nd hand frame for my son. Thinking of a respray to tart it up but can’t decide on a colour. If I just had it sand blasted down to the raw aluminium and left it what would happen.

PS the frame doesn’t have any great value other than it’s usefulness.

thoughts welcome…

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

iirc oxidisation which will forM dull blotches with a white tint
    just remove with scouring pad!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Yeah it’ll oxidise. Could end up going greenish. Your options would be to polish it or lacquer it.

I’ve seen one polished frame that was done properly by a guy who works in the aerospace industry, it looked awesome and has lasted well over a year since the initial job. And by the way I mean buffed and polished as opposed to chemically polished, if you get me. Not sure what would be involved there.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Sand with finest sandpaper, poilish with a drill buffer and brasso? time consuming though.

Or clean and spray with lacquer.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

iirc intense did a lts edition raw option and i test rode one a glenstress
    iwonder if that was prper raw or laquered

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

coogan
    Free Member

Nowt much. My Turner is a raw finish, as in off the welders bench and out the door. No lacquer, zip, zilch, zero.

yunki
    Free Member

It will turn a bit dull… I have a raw frame and… it goes a bit dull..

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

clubber
    Free Member

Depends on the aluminium alloy used. Some tarnish and go dull grey while others stay shiny.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

This is raw alu.

[/url]
    275/365[/url] by stuartie_c[/url], on Flickr

Needs the occasional polish to bring out the shine as it dulls quite quickly. Looks great when freshly done though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dulls too quickly for my liking, especially if in contact with anything remotely road salty, but not much of a problem. If you laquer it you need to ensure your laquer is capable of flexing, once did a steel frame and the laquer flaked off where it flexed.

criefftony
    Free Member

Cheers for that guys. Knew I could rely on you.
    For what it cost me I’ll give it a go.
    Interesting experiment if nowt else.
    T

dans160
    Free Member

I think all the frames are baked first before being sent out. Raw finish is superb. Well, I like mine.

takisawa2

GT used to ball burnish the Zaskar back in the 90’s. They used to stay nice & shiny. Motorbike shops sell polishing kits, with various mops, grades of paste etc. I used one with excellent results.

nickc

Dulls too quickly for my liking,

Aye, I’ve done it to a couple of old frames, and it’ll go dull in a couple of weeks of use. GT used to lacquer the Zaskar. Fresh, it is a fantastic finish though

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Aluminium is highly reactive, it will very quickly form an oxide layer which then prevents any further reaction with the air. So.. goes dull, stays dull.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

i like the dull colour on the raw intense :lol:

Xylene
    Free Member

just keep it away from mercury and mercury salts

martinh
    Free Member

Don’t forget that other riders will constantly refer to you not being able to afford getting it painted.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘what will happen if I leave an aluminium frame raw?’ is closed to new replies.