Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • what trousers do you ride in, in this weather??
  • Chadders
    Free Member

Getting a bit cold in me shorts and theres no way I’m wearing lycra etc?

any ideas?

MoreCashThanDash

Embrace the lycra! I can look a prat with or without it though, tbh!

This week I was commuting in Roubaix big tights and Ebay army surplus cut off Gortex 3/4s – kept me warm at -10 the other morning, dry in several snow storms, and the Gore Tex prevented the rest of the office using my lycra to gauge just how cold it was outside 😳

crazymoon
    Free Member

its never too cold for shorts. but then my legs are quite hairy.

5lab

man up. shorts.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i wear normal shorts or 3 quarter length shorts with endura leg warmers on, works a treat 🙂

Chadders
    Free Member

i guess i could wear me shorts and me knee pads.. might keep me a bit warmer…

My problem is im recovering from a broken leg and cant yet ride for long enough to get properly warm in me shorts!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Altura winter cruisers under endura superlight shorts for me

druidh
    Free Member

The Endura Stealth tights have been ideal

RoterStern
    Free Member

Tights are the way forward if you want to keep your legs warm plus your knees will thank you for it in later life. If you don’t like the lycra look then where some shorts over the top. Simple!

Lionheart
    Free Member

Shorts for most of the year and good days now, but cold and wet find me in good old ‘skool’ Ron Hills, yet to find anything much better. If really wet then some waterproof shorts over them.

Oggles
    Free Member

Man up and buy some fleece lycra! Roubaix fabric or similar. Put some baggy shorts on over them if you think you look like a prat. Honestly, I think anyone riding in bare legs and baggies in this weather looks more of an idiot 😉

Kato

+1 shorts

Edric64
    Free Member

Shorts in all weather, and whats wrong with lycra? not man enough to wear it?

juiced
    Free Member

jeans, waterproofs or very long shorts to the ankle. I’ve just realized this afternoon on a ride my long shorts have a big hole under the crotch. Lots of cold air blasting up there. 😳

Reluctant
    Free Member

It’s not just your knees which will suffer if you wear baggy shorts in cold weather. The breeze blows straight up the legs and freezes your man-bits off 😕
    Around this temperature i wear an old pair of Asender trousers, which are great but falling to bits. When it’s colder, I bite the bullet and go for the old Pearl Izumi tights – function over style!

Edric64
    Free Member

wear bib shorts under your baggies for toastie gnads

crankinirish
    Free Member

+1 for the Ronhills. Baggies on top.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Endura baggies over 3/4 length thermal bibs shorts (helps keep back/kidney area warm) long thermal winter walking socks, embrace the thermal lycra this time of the year, shorts over the top preserve modesty

disco_stu
    Free Member

endura 3/4 baggies with crane sports leggings ( a bargain at about £10 from aldi )

MrKmkII
    Free Member

trousers?! i’ve some thermal endura tights i’ve never used. i bet they’re well warm!

darkgr33n
    Free Member

endura singletrack trousers

pixelmix
    Free Member

3/4 baggies and 3/4 endura lycra tight things underneath for me too.

I do have some waterproof cycling trousers (Endura or something) but I find they are too warm after about 10 minutes of proper riding.

juiced
    Free Member

if it’s freezing I will wear thermal ski leggings and waterproof baggys with rhs legs rolled up to grip my calf.

jonb
    Free Member

Where abouts are you?

In newcastle it was -8 for our Thursday night ride. Windproof tights for me. For the modest, baggies over the top.

If it’s warmer then 3/4 shorts or normal shorts with 3/4 bibs.

Mounty_73

DHB bib tights & Endura singletrack shorts to disguise the bumps! 😉

Drac

Trousers?

juiced
    Free Member

down sarth. Puddles were still partly frozen today, but no snow or wind today.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

ronhill leggings, just over a tenner at wiggle

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Bib tights and baggies,With leg armour,Thats how i roll 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

endura singletrack trousers

+1 with leggings underneath.

carlosg
    Free Member

I use an old pair of MX pants that a neighbor shortened to 3/4 for me most of the year round , if it gets really cold then full length bib tights go underneath.

Northwind

Still in baggy shorts here. Never to cold, not in this country anyway.

Chadders
    Free Member

Not sure i’m getting the answer I wanted here.. You lycra wearing gays!

Guess I could do with somewaterproofish trousers or just put up with me shorts..

My dh/freeride pants are a tad restrictive for the pedalling!

epicyclo

RAB VapourRise

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cheapo leggings from Lidl + 3/4 shorts are keeping my knees working OK.

z1ppy

MTFU and get some lycra, there a reason why cyclist wear it, it **** works!
    Baggies over the top to hide your shame

TiRed

Today I was wearing; 3/4 length bibshorts, Roubaix tights with footloops, Endura Humvees and Sealskinz. The tights keep the socks snug and I was probably a little hot to be honest. The overshoes may also have helped 😀 . Son1 was wearing pretty much the same but with walking boots. Think the tights were about £10 for two pairs from SJS about 12 years ago. They work well with bibs, but nor really with shorts (too much tension on the tummy)

Just buy some cheap Roubaix tights and wear them under your shorts. The beauty of this set up is you can take the now muddy shorts off if driving home.

Kahurangi

Lycra tights with shorts and overshoes if nasty & cold.

TheFopster
    Free Member

I wear some old trackie bottoms that I’ve had for at least 15 years. A few holes sewn up where I have come off, and one not fixed where I fell into some barbed wire last year and keep forgetting to try and patch it up. Anything long and cheap will do – though I do insist on a cycling specific jacket. You can spend fortune on all that stuff, and I have decided to divert all my hobby funds to the bike rather than the clothes!

benjag
    Free Member

Royal DH race pants, tough, warm and not silly expensive.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘what trousers do you ride in, in this weather??’ is closed to new replies.