Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • what trousers do you ride in, in this weather??
  • crazy-legs

You can spend fortune on all that stuff, and I have decided to divert all my hobby funds to the bike rather than the clothes!

Not sure I get that…

Within reason, you can ride pretty much any bike anywhere but if you’re in the wrong kit for the weather, any ride on any bike is going to be miserable.

My problem is im recovering from a broken leg and cant yet ride for long enough to get properly warm in me shorts!

I don’t think your recovering leg is going to thank you for getting it frozen solid. Tights rock in this weather – if you’re modest/shy/afraid of looking a fool then wear some (waterproof?) baggies over the top: Endura, Altura, Gore all do various styles in various lengths.

Cyclists wear tights in winter; like Oggles says ^^, I’d think anyone wearing shorts in sub zero temperatures looks more of a fool.

BadlyWiredDog

Gore Windstopper fronted bib-tights are fantastic, awesome in proper cold weather. Expensive, so don’t lend them to your oldest mate for some ridiculous charity road marathon across France in the course of which he may be spooked by a fierce chien and crash heavily writing them off…

Do people still wear Ronhills? Why?

ThePilot
    Free Member

Not sure i’m getting the answer I wanted here.. You lycra wearing gays!

And I’m not sure you will if you persist in using the word gay as an insult.

Just a thought.

nickegg
    Free Member

Endura 3/4 lycra under Altura Attack trousers or shorts depending on temperature.

doom_mountain

3/4 bibs underneath Endura Venturi 3/4 shorts, warm and dry for the whole ride…..

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Altura Progel lycras under 3/4 length Singletracks. Trousers + mtbs don’t work imo.

timothius
    Free Member

What’s the advantage of bib tights over just tights? They stay up better?

doom_mountain

Bibs stay put but make toilet stops a bit more interesting…
    Agree with Surf-Mat, never ride in trousers except on pub bike.

GW
    Free Member

I pretty much only ride in trousers whatever time of year. have done for over 15 years now.

TheFopster
    Free Member

You can spend fortune on all that stuff, and I have decided to divert all my hobby funds to the bike rather than the clothes!

Not sure I get that… Within reason, you can ride pretty much any bike anywhere but if you’re in the wrong kit for the weather, any ride on any bike is going to be miserable.

Don’t disagree – it’s just that I find pretty much any old thing on the legs works as long as it’s not raining. I do think a decent jacket is pretty essential, though. So far I’ve managed to stay warm and comfy without getting any truly expensive gear, although I admit I do often look like a tramp who nicked a bike.

doom_mountain

So you never ride in the rain?

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I wore bib shorts, non padded bib tights with baggies over the top today. The baggies aren’t baggy enough though (Endura Humvee).

For cross I wear short legged skinsuit and lots of embrocation.

jools182
    Free Member

some old softshell bouldering trousers I got from decathlon about 5 years ago

_tom_
    Free Member

£10 umbro trackies work for me. Actually got a bit too hot today.

jedi

brown denim skate trousers 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I’d think anyone wearing shorts in sub zero temperatures looks more of a fool.

/waves.

frosty by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

shorts + liner/bibs + ronhills or leg warmers

works for me and doesnt look too daft

sidyid
    Free Member

Ha, ha, shorts here in Spain and its early December!

chiefgrooveguru

Baggies plus lycra shorts underneath or 3/4 baggies works for me around freezing.

chiefgrooveguru

Baggies plus lycra shorts underneath or 3/4 baggies works for me around freezing.

martinxyz
    Free Member

altura attack x with a light merino base layer.

sick of how cold tights feel. even winter ones dont keep you feeling warm and comfortable at the same time. The key is a bit of air in about yer clothing. air air air!

I dont think i`ll ever put winter tights on again. they feel absolutely horrible.even the most thermal ones feel cold when its sub zero,wet,with a bit of wind chill.

Its -6c right now,blue sky and fresh snow. alturas will do just fine.

yunki
    Free Member

el cheapo karrimor padded tights under some dodgy old cotton billabong shorts here..
    yup.. I feel mighty self conscious on occasion.. and I’m aware that I look like a middle class **** when wearing them and am thereby marking myself out as a target for bike thieves.. buuuuuuuuut..

We live very close to a military base so there’s no shortage of folk out and about shopping or walking their dogs in their ron hills so I can use this against myself when I try to reason with my irrational prejudices..
    and they are comfy and warm and practical and the cheapest solution to the problem..

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

What is it with baggy stuff? Who’s judging you anyway?

MTB’ers like stuff that works. That’s why our bikes are so good these days. – Lycra works!

TheFopster
    Free Member

So you never ride in the rain?

No – always ride in the rain. Have never missed a ride due to weather (and I used to live in Michigan where it could get pretty damn cold…). If it’s tipping down I get out the trusty army surplus Goretex. Like I said – not very stylish but cheap and works very well…

donks
    Free Member

Endura Singletracks. Mind you i wear these most of the year.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘what trousers do you ride in, in this weather??’ is closed to new replies.