Home Forums Bike Forum What MTB lid?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What MTB lid?
  • kayla1
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new lid to replace my (very old) Bell Stoker. I’d like something that is about the same shape, has fully removable pads so I can wash them and be as ethical as possible (I think Bell have associations with the NRA).

Any recommendations?

argee

Try before you buy, no point asking on here as you’ll get a hundred ‘i wear this so it’s great’, helmets are as personal as it gets, head shape will dictate if one brand is good or bad, then after that you can work on style, vents, weight, etc.

Best bet is to nip to some bikeshops, try a few helmets on for fitting and work out what brands you are after, then asking a query on here is a bit easier, such as you find ‘Giro’ work best, but you can’t decide between model a or b.

I know it’s not much help, but easier than running through responses, i found over time i fit giro well, but not POC or Bell, specialized work for me as well, so when i hunt, i can pretty much narrow down what will work.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Try before you buy, no point asking on here as you’ll get a hundred ‘i wear this so it’s great’, helmets are as personal as it gets, head shape will dictate if one brand is good or bad, then after that you can work on style, vents, weight, etc.

+1

Although Giro, Bell and 661 are part of the same company so if you want to avoid them it’s not so easy.

Even within the same brand/group though they use different head shapes (whats the helmet equivalent of a last?). There’s at least two different variations of the Giro/661/Bell, I can’t even get my head past the chin guard in some of their XL full face lids, others are fine.

FWIW I found a Bell 4forty MIPS fit my wants/head/budget.

rickbst170
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered (but not yet received) a Giro Fixture. Decent reviews, probably one of the cheapest name brand helmets @ £45 which was my main consideration (after fit and safety). Nothing positive or negative to say about it yet, just it’s affordable.

7idp helmets are cheap and apparently good, but a bit garish for me.

kayla1
    Free Member

Although Giro, Bell and 661 are part of the same company so if you want to avoid them it’s not so easy.

That’s very handy to know, thanks.

trumpton
    Free Member

Try on.only helmets I have found online that all fit are pisspot style.

teesoo

I’ve just bought a new lid (Bontrager Rally) that I’m really happy with as it’s a perfect fit for me. I had wanted to avoid Bell & Giro for the same reason as you, but after removing those two manufacturers, there wasn’t much choice left for me. Lazer helmets seem to get some good reviews, but as others have said, fit is everything.

jimdubleyou

Vista Outdoor have sold their gun totin subsidiary.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/upon-selling-firearms-brands-rei-to-resume-business-with-vista-outdoor.html

REI (one of the the main drivers of the boycott in the US) have resumed sales of Giro, Bell, Camelbak etc.

Vista are still a pro-gun / pro-NRA company though…
    https://www.snewsnet.com/news/breaking-down-vista-outdoor-boycott
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/7/9/sold-vista-ceo-on-the-sale-of-savage-arms/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What MTB lid?’ is closed to new replies.